PDA

View Full Version : Remember your first bike?

SNF
2nd February 2014, 09:08
Dents in tank. Scratches all over, cracks and breaks in nearly every fairing, banana spec levers from going down the road. Looked a bit worn and haggard - wasn't the fastest thing ever but I bet it sure put a grin on your face while riding about!

This is mine - an FZR 250 2KR from 1988, which I've had for just over a year now.
And it really does look 26 years old. Being a 250 it isn't going to be fast so no go fast bits apart from an exhaust, which really won't do anything anyway. All show with 1% go - it doesn't bother me.

I'm vinyl wrapping everything so later if I get sick of it/want to sell I can go back to stock. You may like, you may hate, dilligaf - its mine and I'm making it for me. I plan on getting a belly pan and getting aftermarket mirrors, levers, headlight, indicators, wavy brake rotors.

I'm doing a sports road bike with some street fighter styling to it. Nothing crazy but just enough for people to do a double take and wonder what it is.

100% stock.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/184445_518351218185752_812722539_n.jpg

Then one day I was like it needs a paint!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/562634_634911159863090_1641421632_n.jpg

frame done. Did the headers too
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1014025_634911393196400_1085498528_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/581690_634912106529662_1256055019_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/969357_634911339863072_1143084572_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/74789_634911896529683_1431482826_n.jpg

Final result - painted rocker cover and engine casings:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1094942_638613236159549_1023445820_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/554919_638613342826205_1705903297_n.jpg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/44631_638613396159533_865842803_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/47717_638613496159523_607197372_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1001235_638613542826185_1586607176_n.jpg
Don't mind the salt - my first ever MC oil change I did - I made a mess.

Currently. No the chicken isn't the rider lol, they like to jump out and hang out on the bike sometimes.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1555324_716880348332837_648416095_n.jpg

slofox
2nd February 2014, 10:10
Currently. No the chicken isn't the rider lol, they like to jump out and hang out on the bike sometimes.

Sooo, I am guessing, from the pic, that there are chicken strips on the tyres, huh?

tigertim20
2nd February 2014, 10:56
apart from wondering why you didnt take the engine out since youd gone as far as you had to paint it, It looks quite nice.

a friend of mine vinyl wrapped his whole bike a few months ago. It looks really good, and you can only see a few minor imperfections from up real close.
I suggest you get a friend to help you by hold parts and rotating them etc for you when you wrap it, as it isnt as easy as it looks, and it does take a fair amount of time

JimO
2nd February 2014, 11:19
mine was a ts185 suzuki

MIXONE
2nd February 2014, 11:47
mine was a ts185 suzuki

Mine was a TS250.

kevfromcoro
2nd February 2014, 11:51
350 matchy.
primary chain would always tear the left hand side of my jeans

Madness
2nd February 2014, 11:51
Like this, but with heaps (and I mean heaps) of rust.

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/bikes/bikesales/230682.jpg

SNF
2nd February 2014, 11:53
I didn't take the engine out due to laziness. Chicken strips are slowly being worn down as I gain confidence/go for longer rides. Most of the time I just commute up and down the motorway.

Think I'd better add tank cover to the list - current one is dented and slightly rusty (can be fixed and bogged easy.)
But it doesn't line up at all, tabs are all bent to hell and is a right prick to put back on. I just got mad and resorted to cable ties.
First attempt to wrap it was a massive fail although it was rather fun.

First question - aftermarket levers. All the universal ones I see are for dirt bikes. And Yamaha levers are for R6/R1's and FJR's. which means I need clutch and brake perches to fit on my bars and a brake fluid reservoir. Translation? pain in the arse. Has anyone tried dirt bike ones?

Geeen
2nd February 2014, 12:08
I started out on a Yammie DT175, was in a shocking state but I lived on it.:2thumbsup

tigertim20
2nd February 2014, 12:11
have a good search you can find direct replacement levers for these

SNF
2nd February 2014, 12:20
yeah plenty of stock ones was hoping to get some shorter aftermarket ones

DMNTD
2nd February 2014, 12:37
Mine was a GT750 :confused:

tigertim20
2nd February 2014, 14:58
yeah plenty of stock ones was hoping to get some shorter aftermarket ones

Ebay, son, Ebay.

they are out there and they arent all that pricey either

Rhys
2nd February 2014, 20:03
mine was a ts185 suzuki

Yeah My first bike was a TS 185 was absolutely mint when I got it, didn't stay that way for long :facepalm:

SNF
2nd February 2014, 20:10
+1 for Ebay. They even have fairing sets - but I'm not going there, already have my factory albiet battered 2KR set and a good 3LN set. I might sell the 3LN set, I was going to cut them up but they are far too good for that, if you want 3LN side fairings they are yours - $60. Have some rough resin repairs on the bottom though.

Not using the 2KR set either, although I will fix them in case I decide to use them later.

Going to get 2 things I actually need first - gear lever and rod, clutch and brake levers, all bent from being dropped.

Should mention the dropping hasn't been from me - it did fall off the stand on my first day because I parked on a hill and left it in neutral and it slid and I didn't grab it in time. Silly me. It has had 4 other learner owners so I'm blaming them :bleh:

Anyway this is the plan for the fairing side of things - its in the mockup stage. Don't mind the tank either it also needs work. Will try to glass them up over the next few days. I am actually quite excited. And looking forward to having my bike look more awesome and less crap..... eventually.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1609885_725659757454896_1777028704_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/923080_725659837454888_564455472_n.jpg

I'm regretting looking at ebay. too much cool stuff. I know this is a waste of time but, but but......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramair-Luftfilter-Sportluftfilter-Ms-016-Yamaha-Fzr250r-Mikuni-Bdst-Neu-/350721805353?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item51a8a60c29&vxp=mtr
induction nose:yes: Granted carbs will need tweaking

slofox
3rd February 2014, 16:27
First Bike: (1953 Ariel 350cc single). Wrote this a while back. Might have posted it before - can't remember (due to "C.R.A.F.T." syndrome...)

It started many years ago
When I moved south down by the snow
And found I had to get around the town

The buses, they were way too slow
A motorbike was the way to go
So through the bike ads I went looking round

My first was made of British steel
You started it up with a kick of the heel
My flatmates thought I was a bloody fool

It weighed a ton, was really slow
But the wheels went round and it did just go
And I thought I was pretty bloody cool

I hadn’t had this thing for long
When several things, they just went wrong
I learned about the dark side of machines

The cables broke, the brakes were poked
The zorst pipe poured out clouds of smoke
I had to do some work behind the scenes

But I did try and by and by
I thought this thing was ready to fly
I took it out for a fang along the road

It first went well, but then, with a clang
It shuddered to a stop and just went BANG!!
I had to push it home to my abode

Most things you can fix with a few little tricks
And a bunch of parts from out in the sticks
And soon I’m cruising down the city street

But my sense of fun was soon undone
I found myself right in the gun
When the motorbike cop and I, we chanced to meet

He chased me up and made me stop
This rotten nasty traffic cop
He got stuck in, his face turned kinda blue

He said I failed to keep to the left
And since of a licence I was bereft
I found myself up to the neck in poo

Eventually I went to court
The beak said “Yerr we know your sort!
If I’d my way I’d make you all do time!

But sadly, since your crimes are small
And you’ve turned up here to field the ball
I’ll hafta make do with a million dollar fine!” (the bastard)

I crawled off home back to my lair
And cursed the day that I did dare
To ride without a licence for the bike

I got out the book and took a good look
And decided that by hook or by crook
I’d get that licence soon as you could like.

But still my learning was not done
Despite the fact of having fun
Soon enough I met the dreaded cage

The man who was driving “didn’t see”
The motorcycle carrying me
And on the road I landed in a rage

Now even though it was his fault
(His head was thicker than a bolt)
I realised that it was up to me

To keep my eyes out good and sharp
And give the horn a real loud PARP
When the cager comes, well, you just gotta flee

From then on in the bike went good
I rode all round the neighbourhood
And even took some trips on down the line

I took it out onto the track
I even managed to ride it back
This biking thing was looking pretty fine

In time I bought a brand new bike
With shiny chrome and things ya like
A modern beast and really up to code

And so it’s gone on ever since
Me you don’t have to convince
I’ll see my days out, biking on the road

SNF
3rd February 2014, 21:29
Hope I see my days out on a bike too. Great poem.

Slight change of plans - not getting shiny fold up levers. I'm a student and can't really afford that crap. Bikes going to need a big 45k service very soon - valve clearances, cam chain looked at etc.

Paranoid, but I'm depending on it every day so I need it to be up to the task plus I want to hold onto it until my full and maybe past who knows.

So all basic broken bent stuff (levers) Will be standard spec. Can get fancy shit later.

Fear not, I'm going to fab up some trick fairings for the beast. Still making molds at this stage.
Oh I got new (used) Seats! So the bike will look better somewhat when they come.

When I get my R's I will perform a tail tidy. Also want to do an R1/R6 tail - think I have a way to do it without any structual .

Should I add hand guards? I half think it might be cool. I also think its stupid. I don't know. Might try it. Can sell them if I hate it.
What ya reckon?

SNF
9th February 2014, 21:26
My fb status yesterday after a great day out riding;

Its the best feeling in the world. The road beneath you. Motor humming away. Leaning in as you take the corner. So much fun. Could just do it all day; almost nothing can beat this. Its kinda like being on a roller coaster. Or flying in a way. Can't stress or worry when riding.. Your head has to be in the game. Looking for what's going on around you. Its also like playing fetch with a rabid pit bull and tugging on the reapers cape have to be careful out there, respect the power, its always there when you need it, even when you don't. And then eventually you have to get off. And face reality. Reality sucks. I'd rather go riding. That's why I do it.

So I haven't done much. New seats are on - still waiting for tail fairings and a few other things, got some mirrors, led tail light, indicators, a possible tail tidy/some shit to make a tail tidy.

Okay the front fairings - I've been busy riding, so not much happening there. Trying to get some clay to make a mold so I can get glassing.
Also need to change the oil tomorrow. Upper carb boots into the intake are shit, trying to find a big radiator hose to make some trick ones on the hack. The point of this is to have a good running bike that is a little different. I'm not going for a 100% factory restoration.

Next update will have pics as glassing and parts start arriving.

SNF
10th February 2014, 12:14
Parts arriving left right and center. One more lot to come.

I have *4x led indicators (need a rectifier)
*2x flash aftermarket mirrors which don't fit yet but they will!
* 1x smoked led tail light - handy for my custom tail tidy.
* 2x Buell headlights (thrown in with everything, will attempt to use them instead of stock later)

Cheap as $29! Good old tard me.

Also got a set of stock tail fairings. These ones will never be the same again. See kids, this is why you don't paint a beat up old bike flat black.
It just looks like crap. My bike sure as hellers is not going to be flat black. Not ever.

SNF
17th February 2014, 19:22
Finally got some wrench time in. I got a bunch of FZR parts, looms, carbs, brake rotors and calipers, pegs one with a straight shifter rod which is now on my bike as the original one was mangled - its the one in the pic. New one is nice and straight, changing gears is easier now, had trouble with the bent one and my new boots,

I even got a tank cover. Its (badly) painted purple but it seems relatively straight, will be fixing and painting it along with my bent current one.

After I'd fixed the shifter rod, I decided to stick on my new mirrors. The stock ones are fugly, made worse by the paint flaking off. Looking better, still have a way to go though. Took some comparison shots of the mirrors. New ones look much better and I can see more. Form and function.

The Reibz
19th February 2014, 15:55
Nice to see the project coming along bro. Build threads are always good. Great work finding parts for it too. As a past (and current) FZR owner I know how hard it is. I got a 87' 1000 FZR project but I have lost a bit of motivation for it and it might be time to pass the buck to someone else

nzspokes
19th February 2014, 19:05
Nice. Great to see people doing this stuff for themselfs.

And Rebiz, got some more welding for you. This time much easier and smaller.

SNF
20th February 2014, 13:19
Made a discovery today. All the intake boots ideally need replacing. I'm a student so while I'm studying this isn't really going to happen. The upper boots into the air box are hard and crusty and although seem to seal okay thought I'd try do some preventative maintenance.
The lower ones have cracks, but they are not leaking yet. Will be fixing them with plasti-dip.

I thought I'd replace with radiator hose. The diameter is 48mm. Closest radiator hose to use is the "E" series Ford Falcon/Fairlane. But you need 4 of the hoses. I didn't have $80 to spend so I couldn't do it. But when I can I will. I would try pick-a-part but I dont wany bits of crud from inside the hose getting into my carbs and engine.

Yamahardman
20th February 2014, 16:16
A black 1991 yamaha sr250, with a solo seat and the handlebars turned upside down.
Very racey, she was a beast! Lol
I joke, haha.
The bastard didn't have a kick starter, or a good battery and I ran started it alot, it also took a month of rainy sundays to slow down and stop.
However, it was light and good for throwing into corners, i could go through paradise valley with the throttle held open, almost all the way through, haha.

I put it back to normal and sold it with a new wof and reg on hold and 30,000kms on the clock, to someone I know who wanted to start riding, for $300.

SNF
13th March 2014, 19:35
No massive changes yet. It still looks as battered as ever. Shout out to Daniel and Jeremy for sticking in an alarm for laughs.

I have got myself a nice straight headlight sub frame, now to go back and re drill holes for my mean Ninja mirrors.
Also got replacement fairings in primer - win! but they have a few cracks though. Easy fix. Also got some other panels for the tail in purple.

I still want to do the custom tail - RS250 glassed to the stock unit but money - either bog/paint/materials or a fancy tail and a purple and flat black bike for a while - stuff that, its going to stay white.

SNF
20th March 2014, 18:01
Started to sand the purple tank. I started sanding with 120 grit, wet to keep the dust down. Need to do a final sand with 180 grit.

Got a few things for the tank when it is painted too:

SNF
26th March 2014, 16:38
Tank got done in 180. I didn't bother with pics cos it looks similar to how it did before. Need some etch primer and bog for it.

Today she got a new ass! Looks kinda like a bucket racer with fairings on it and everything mismatched.This was an initial muck about, the serious mocking up is happening soon. Trying to figure how I want it to sit, I'd like a slight upwards curve like a race bike - even though its not.

Gonna be a bit of work (read - a while) before its all done and painted. Should have left it purple - would have saved me a ton of sanding but purple is yuck on this - so stuff that, I'd rather sand. Last pic is the smoked LED light I was gonna post ages before and then forgot about.

SNF
28th March 2014, 17:57
Bolted on to stock side panels. Need to trim them so they flow better, also cut the ugly bars out from underneath. Seen it done a few times. Is it legal? Its just welded onto the rear subframe - which I haven't but wish I could muck around with.

Going to get rid of the pillion pegs and rear seat - a 250 is pretty useless for pillion activity. Still have a bit to do. Also hoping I can bog and etch prime the tank. Looked at doing a tail tidy but its all one plastic slab up under the back wheel. Still going to do it, means a trip to the wreckers.

SNF
31st March 2014, 18:56
Added some mounts inside the tail. Was ok before but its even stronger now. Fairings are screwed on -they have cracks though which I need to fix. And add some heat proof mat to stop them warping. Have some mounts I made which need to be drilled. Wanted my light and numberplate further up but it was too far under the tail so its staying this way. Also want to fiberglass over the rear seat. Tomorrow I', going to work on the tank, hope to get it all primed up and the faring mounts all finished. Then its fix the fairings while I save for paint.

eldog
3rd April 2014, 19:39
FZR250 - nice to see it coming along, I like you willingness to do things, usually everything I touch turns to custard. I end up doing it twice, the first time the wrong way around. Been doing some more SASS - slow circles certainly helps.
By the way you have seen my first bike - the mighty Scorpio, a very capable commuter, well understated. till next time, keep up the good work :clap:

SNF
3rd April 2014, 23:01
FZR250 - nice to see it coming along, I like you willingness to do things, usually everything I touch turns to custard. I end up doing it twice, the first time the wrong way around. Been doing some more SASS - slow circles certainly helps.
By the way you have seen my first bike - the mighty Scorpio, a very capable commuter, well understated. till next time, keep up the good work :clap:

Thanks Lance:) I miss doing Sass with you guys on Tuesdays. Believe it or not I just dived in with this. Becoming more and more apparent that is more work than I was expecting. Doesn't bother me, its good fun. Had to learn to fiberglass, something I wanted to do for ages. Hopefully not too many more Tuesdays and I'll be back with a super shiny bike sporting all the fairings. Depends how much they charge me for the custom paint.

Trimmed the side panels and painted the one which was flat black with stripes in primer. Still shaping all the bog behind the rear seat which I've now fiber glassed, seat is the next job before I block everything back and sand with 180 grit and then its primer time!

avgas
4th April 2014, 05:11
mine was a ts185 suzuki
mine too! The one bike I truly regret giving up.

i had round headlight, yellow tank one (sort of like this but yellow http://www.thestreetpeep.com/2012/12/1977-suzuki-ts185-sierra.html).
78" I think. Ironically it sat to the side of a shed for 11 years while I was growing up. I used to sit on it and pretend I was a biker. Then when about 12, dad and I pulled her apart and got her running again. I rode it for about 4 years then I got my first road bike and pulled the TS apart and never put it back together. When I went to university dad was clearning out the shed and gave the bike to the neighbor to reassemble. (meanwhile his 5 dissasembled XS750's and 3 dissasembled XS850's, and the 3TA-in-a-box remained :weird:)

Really wish I had that bike now.

eldog
18th April 2014, 20:15
how is it coming along, havent seen anything has it been a bit slow lately, exams eh?
better to make a proper rather than a rushed job. take it easy mate :)

SNF
25th April 2014, 16:18
how is it coming along, havent seen anything has it been a bit slow lately, exams eh?
better to make a proper rather than a rushed job. take it easy mate :)

Had some relatives stay and then went across the ditch so that was the last 2 weeks gone. Bought myself a new helmet. Finished sanding on the tail now, few little pinholes here and there which need attention. Buying some decent primer filler and will definitely be painting tomorrow. With pics!

SNF
27th April 2014, 20:51
The tail! As promised, pics. Albiet a day late. Pretty good, some pinholes and highspots but I can fix that. Really happy Its finally at the primer milestone. I'll do the sides and tank with the yellow primer too. The paint system I am using has the primer filler in yellow, the surfacer in grey. Since I have filler and fiberglass I'm using primer filler as its thicker can help prevent sagging with all the bog and fiberglass and sanding marks etc. Its on the bike. Even with just the tail primed its looking better overall.

SNF
29th April 2014, 18:10
So I took it off to fix the defects. Silly me left it on the recycle bin overnight. It blew off and cracked all the filler under the fiberglass. It was evident this was not the way to do it. So I sanded the hell out of it with 80 grit, glued the stock purple FZR latch surround and got some expanding foam, cut it as best I could to shape and started filling. Kind of bummed since it was all primed up and now it needs doing again.

Plus side its way stronger now since I sprayed it with the foam. It may chip but nothing can break off. I should have done it this way in the first place.

The Reibz
29th April 2014, 22:23
Thats one hell of a bog job. Good work though

gammaguy
30th April 2014, 02:19
Mine was a GT750 :confused:

Suzuki or Kawasaki?

DMNTD
30th April 2014, 06:29
Suzuki or Kawasaki?

Suzuki, a $1,500 piece of nasty fun for a 16y/o

Grubber
30th April 2014, 09:34
1950 something Areil 350.
More of a farm hoon than anything. Not road worthy by a long shot but shit loads of fun.
Ended up breaking it in half when i flew through a gorse fence on it.
No no it's ok guys, i was fine.

imdying
30th April 2014, 18:54
The problem is that body filler is designed to skim small dents etc, not to be built up over a millimetre or so thick. What you want to do is make it so it looks like what you want, then spray it with Duratec High Build Primer. That is an unusual product, as it will polish up to a mirror finish which as regular high build primer won't. It's not designed for going under paint, it's designed to be used as a top coat for a mold. Once you've done that, release wax it, then flange it down the middle (cardboard, plasticine, you can get this all at Nuplex BTW) and lay glass on one half. Next remove the flanging material, and wax the exposed side of the flange. Then cover the other half with glass. Once that dries, you'll have a two piece mold of your tail section, and you'll be able to make as many strong lightweight parts as you need. What you have now will always crack if it gets flexed (it will), or potentially just through the vibration from your bike alone. You really should go the extra distance and do it the right way, you've actually done the hardest part already! If you want to know more, just sing out.

Hinny
2nd May 2014, 19:45
Suzuki, a $1,500 piece of nasty fun for a 16y/o

How often do you count your blessings that you are still here?

DMNTD
2nd May 2014, 20:57
How often do you count your blessings that you are still here?

Everytime that I come back from a ride

SNF
29th May 2014, 23:22
The problem is that body filler is designed to skim small dents etc, not to be built up over a millimetre or so thick. What you want to do is make it so it looks like what you want, then spray it with Duratec High Build Primer. That is an unusual product, as it will polish up to a mirror finish which as regular high build primer won't. It's not designed for going under paint, it's designed to be used as a top coat for a mold. Once you've done that, release wax it, then flange it down the middle (cardboard, plasticine, you can get this all at Nuplex BTW) and lay glass on one half. Next remove the flanging material, and wax the exposed side of the flange. Then cover the other half with glass. Once that dries, you'll have a two piece mold of your tail section, and you'll be able to make as many strong lightweight parts as you need. What you have now will always crack if it gets flexed (it will), or potentially just through the vibration from your bike alone. You really should go the extra distance and do it the right way, you've actually done the hardest part already! If you want to know more, just sing out.

I completely agree with you that this is the proper way to do it. This second time, done with fiberglass over expanding foam, is much stronger. Internet issues mean no pics at the moment but I have made it one solid part, ridden around in it current primered (ugly!) state and there are no cracks or anything. Few little things left and it'll be ready for paint, which I have got - 25D - Snowflake Pearl. Never sprayed a pearl paint before. Also adding some blue stripes to it too.

eldog
14th June 2014, 20:12
Few little things left and it'll be ready for paint

have you progressed? any pics??

SNF
20th July 2014, 17:56
Finally I have the internet back after it got knocked out a second time. Did the tail

SNF
20th July 2014, 18:02
Painted the stripes. Then that storm came so I couldn't do anything for a bit.

SNF
20th July 2014, 18:13
Then I did the seat cover. I don't see the point with it having a seat; its a 4 cylinder 250. I made my own tail tidy, painted the ninja mirrors white, got some aftermarket FZ6 indicators (led). This is how it looks currently. I'm fixing the primer side fairings, left one which had a chunk missing is nearly done, right one needs a quick plastic weld. I also got another headlight fairing which is broken. I have fixed it its also a work in progress. So this is how it is currently with back half pretty much finished aside from a cut and polish. Along with all the panel work I need to do do some maintenance; exup valve is rattling - I know its the collars, it will benefit from a valve clearance check and a full service - oil, filter, new plugs, fresh brake fluid and rear pads, fresh fork oil.

f2dz
21st July 2014, 11:38
That's starting to look pretty tidy!

The tail is looking a bit late 90s/early 2000s GSXR-ish.

SNF
12th August 2014, 12:06
That's starting to look pretty tidy!

The tail is looking a bit late 90s/early 2000s GSXR-ish.

I reckon the tail is awesome! Looks way better than factory. I changed the oil and filter, lubed the exup flap in the exhaust. Rattles a little now and then, better than before, nothing an adjustment of the cables won't fix. This is the latest. Adding some blue to offset the white on the sides I think its a bit too plain currently.

eldog
12th August 2014, 17:11
I reckon the tail is awesome! Looks way better than factory. I changed the oil and filter, lubed the exup flap in the exhaust. Rattles a little now and then, better than before, nothing an adjustment of the cables won't fix. This is the latest. Adding some blue to offset the white on the sides I think its a bit too plain currently.

Bettererer and betterer, its coming along, nicely

you will have to get some techspan? for the tank. ask NZSPOKES where he got it

SNF
23rd August 2014, 23:04
Techspan? I'm going to cover the bike in paint protection film once I'm done painting it. Going to be doing the side fairings in blue stripes this week

eldog
24th August 2014, 20:24
Techspan? I'm going to cover the bike in paint protection film once I'm done painting it. Going to be doing the side fairings in blue stripes this week

I think its Techspan, not as aggressive on gear as the other material - Stompgrip = great for full time racers
There is also a product called Easi-grip similar

blue strips = nice

I got some 3M paint protection film put on a new bike - expensive but they turned up with a premade kit.
Cleaned the bike and applied it - very professional and made a great job
Best thing not to try and remove the bubbles after applying
you cant really see where they have applied it.
Even put some on the rear of the tank to stop scratching via zips and bags etc.
Did expect more in some places and less in others but great job.
most areas required from stones etc from tyres

nzspokes
24th August 2014, 20:38
I think its Techspan, not as aggressive on gear as the other material - Stompgrip = great for full time racers
There is also a product called Easi-grip similar

blue strips = nice

I got some 3M paint protection film put on a new bike - expensive but they turned up with a premade kit.
Cleaned the bike and applied it - very professional and made a great job
Best thing not to try and remove the bubbles after applying
you cant really see where they have applied it.
Even put some on the rear of the tank to stop scratching via zips and bags etc.
Did expect more in some places and less in others but great job.
most areas required from stones etc from tyres

You mean Techspec.

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/

eldog
24th August 2014, 20:42
You mean Techspec.

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/

sorry got the name wrong - was doing it from memory.
Techspec - does feel nice and isnt so aggressive on your gear. looks good too

SNF
4th September 2014, 01:14
Painted the side fairings and shined up the tail. For spray cans its pretty damn good even if I do say so myself. Few imperfections as to be expected painting outside and with spray cans. I'm thinking of doing the tank but its 1k lacquer and petrol will ruin it then again the current one is freaking hideous; too poor/ tight to get a panelshop to spray it for me but why when I can spray it myself.

I flushed the cooling system and put in a new thermostat. Fiddled with the exup but it still rattles. Had to get a rear tire. Stupid 2kr can only fit a 120 wide rear tire which is a retarded size. Thinking of doing a 3LN swingarm swap can got to 130 wide like most 250cc bikes. Get some Ninja 250r rims - 5 spokes over ti-spokes! Its really quite tempting.

eldog
4th September 2014, 22:07
Painted the side fairings and shined up the tail. For spray cans its pretty damn good even if I do say so myself. Few imperfections as to be expected painting outside and with spray cans. I'm thinking of doing the tank but its 1k lacquer and petrol will ruin it then again the current one is freaking hideous; too poor/ tight to get a panelshop to spray it for me but why when I can spray it myself.

I flushed the cooling system and put in a new thermostat. Fiddled with the exup but it still rattles. Had to get a rear tire. Stupid 2kr can only fit a 120 wide rear tire which is a retarded size. Thinking of doing a 3LN swingarm swap can got to 130 wide like most 250cc bikes. Get some Ninja 250r rims - 5 spokes over ti-spokes! Its really quite tempting.

this is going to look cool :niceone:

SNF
14th September 2014, 13:12
I'm trying to decide how far I go on this bike. It runs good - a good valve clearance/shim replacement carb clean and balance will do wonders for it. It doesn't seem to smoke much, a slight puff of white at the top of the rev range. The gaskets are past it - especially the rocker cover, which I'm going to be replacing. For an 80's bike with 51,200 kms I would call this maintenance. Its a bit overkill to go out and do a full rebuild on it. Oh the clutch. It needs replacing anything over 6,000 rpm taking off and it slips - on the replace list.

The forks. They look average - usual pits around the tripples. Head bearings could do with replacing. Thinking of getting a set of new fork tube inners,http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fork-Tube-For-FZR250-2KR-1HX-2HX-3HX-Front-Fork-Inner-Tube-Leg-Stanchion-1Pair/1997712274.html fork oil (10w is considered an upgrade). I know the stock Yamaha fork springs are light and bouncy I reckon once it has fresh oil in there it'll feel a bit stiffer (I hope).

So pretty much:

valve clearance/shims (DIY with some mates)
carb clean and balance (Easy as done it before)

New clutch (DIY with mates)
Brake pads (squeaky, may as well replace them - piss easy)
rebuilt forks (new inners, seals, oil, steering bearing. This Is out of my legau I reckon).
Replace Exup collars so it stops rattling once and for all (easy as).

Waiting for some good weather over a week so I can do this in the garage and not get flooded.

And finish the tank and headlight/front fairing conversion, paint them both, then ride all summer if my sister hasn't buggered off on it.

I did have pics of it with all the fairings on but the camera is being stupid.

SNF
15th September 2014, 14:59
Camera is behaving. How it is currently. Thinking about adding some white vinyl offcuts to make a checkered flag effect in the blue fade on the fairings - didn't think of that when painting or I'd have masked it all out. Upholstering another seat, been too wet lately for bodywork.

SNF
17th September 2014, 14:58
$5 gloss white vinyl sheet and a few beers and a couple of hours and result. Not bad, the wrap on the screen is average and I messed up the skull logo but overall its okay. I want to stick an R6/R1 or even R125 04-08 headlight fairing and lights and subframe, bent is fine its gonna get welded to the stock one. Anyone got busted old fairings and or lights they can sell cheapish?

Thinking I might add some blue flaming skulls to the side fairings. I should stop being lazy and paint the other tank. Need more paint though.

yevjenko
17th September 2014, 15:13
Paint the other tank before doing anything else :-)

SNF
26th September 2014, 12:47
Paint the other tank before doing anything else :-)

Done. Won't win a show but like the rest of it for a quick can job its good and better than all the broken factory plastics. Thinking about the side fairings, the blue fade is up a bit high I think, may bring it down a bit. I like the checkered squares so they will stay.

yevjenko
26th September 2014, 14:44
thats better. good work.

eldog
27th September 2014, 12:10
Done. Won't win a show but like the rest of it for a quick can job its good and better than all the broken factory plastics. Thinking about the side fairings, the blue fade is up a bit high I think, may bring it down a bit. I like the checkered squares so they will stay.

:niceone: so when will we see the completed bike, is it before or after Xmas

SNF
28th September 2014, 22:34
:niceone: so when will we see the completed bike, is it before or after Xmas

Before. Really need to get on to the mechanical side of the makeover now. Its okay, just not running at the peak of its game, nothing a bit of wrench time can't fix. I'd say a month or so - waiting and getting parts isn't easy. Its only spring. I plan to have it running perfect for summer. The R6/1/whatever headlight fairing conversion may or may not be done. Either way it will be up for a good summer of riding and good for another 52,000 odd kms.

SNF
29th September 2014, 23:10
Here it is with the freshly painted tank on, chilling with Dan and Jeremy's bikes. Going to buff it and add some blue flamed Yamaha decals to it as its a little plain. And some skull vinyls on the side fairings. All of which will be in blue. Hence the name, SNF -Skulls N Flames. One day I will air brush them onto the fairings, need to build my skill first.

nzspokes
30th September 2014, 06:59
Here it is with the freshly painted tank on, chilling with Dan and Jeremy's bikes. Going to buff it and add some blue flamed Yamaha decals to it as its a little plain. And some skull vinyls on the side fairings. All of which will be in blue. Hence the name, SNF -Skulls N Flames. One day I will air brush them onto the fairings, need to build my skill first.

Nice tidy up. :yes:

I may have some vinyl so you can recover that seat is you want it. Will have a look. Let me know what size you need and I can see if I have a bit that size.

eldog
30th September 2014, 09:06

all good,
I like the modern look, are you going to do something on the exhaust, it looks a like it needs something.
I admire your skill and stickability. Your doing great :Punk:

The Reibz
30th September 2014, 12:37
Starting to really take shape mate. Fucken looking real good
Great work sticking with the project too, I wish I had that with my FZR

SNF
2nd October 2014, 11:29
all good,
I like the modern look, are you going to do something on the exhaust, it looks a like it needs something.
I admire your skill and stickability. Your doing great :Punk:

Yes. An exhaust is on the cards. Wanting to get something like the triangle one in CF. Will need to jet it etc. Will I get picked on for having an obvious aftermarket muffler on my L's?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/auction-783865065.htm

Starting to really take shape mate. Fucken looking real good
Great work sticking with the project too, I wish I had that with my FZR

Thanks man. I could have had it all done ages ago (I'm sometimes lazy). Since right now its the only legal and running form of transport I had to get it finished. 95% done, apart from the headlight fairing.

Nice tidy up. :yes:

I may have some vinyl so you can recover that seat is you want it. Will have a look. Let me know what size you need and I can see if I have a bit that size.

Thank you. I already have some black marine grade vinyl which i have cut out ready to be stapled on. Looking for my heavy duty staples.

SNF
2nd October 2014, 11:47
Few shots with the "new" tank.....

SNF
10th October 2014, 23:02
I finally washed it, was filthy! Gave it a quick buff, tank still has a bit of orange peel - don't care as it looks pretty good. I also cleaned up Crapple's CBR, since it was a little dirty on the rims. Sun was out, biker mates were over so we took over the street.....

nzspokes
11th October 2014, 05:06
That nice. Good work.

I will watch out for you lot.

SNF
25th October 2014, 19:41
Okay well big news. I have got myself a full set of R1 plastics. They are gravel rashed and I got them for a decent price. The front will end up on the FZR. I also broke my speedo while I was out. I have a Koso RX series coming. Pics coming when things arrive. Feel like a kid at Christmas. it may be Christmas by the time I get the R1 front to fit with the FZR panels. This is exciting!

SNF
26th October 2014, 19:07
A bit mangled - which is good as I will be playing butcher once again. I have no clue how I am going to go about doing this right now. Will come up with something amazing/crazy. Another skull decal will go on the windscreen, and it will get painted white. Fitting it up is going to be the present and probably hardest task....

SNF
28th October 2014, 10:10
This was never going to be a smooth fit. So I'm going to use some of the FZR faring, namely the bottom around the indicator. Which will be binned anyway since I have some flush smoked aftermarket R1 indicators which will go.... somewhere - either on the headlight fairing or side fairing, will worry with that later.

I figured the subframe will need some fiddling. I'm going to have to get new supports for it to make room for the R1 lights. Have a couple of welder friends I can bribe with a frosty adult beverage. The yellow/red is a basic idea for the mo. Hopefully my Koso gauges come soon so I can make/get something cool made to mount them with.

SNF
28th October 2014, 10:12
And I want to use the R1 front mudguard

Vinz0r
28th October 2014, 11:17
Yes. An exhaust is on the cards. Wanting to get something like the triangle one in CF. Will need to jet it etc. Will I get picked on for having an obvious aftermarket muffler on my L's?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/exhaust/auction-783865065.htm

Just a quick heads up; that guy is just re-selling exhausts from a Hong Kong based company called 'Danmoto'.
You can get them much cheaper ordering straight from them.
Here's the website: http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/

I don't think they have one specifically for your bike, but just buy one that has the same mounting hardware and you should be right.

ellipsis
28th October 2014, 11:56
...I went to check out a job recently...the fellow renting the house in need of work was told by the landlord that I was a biker...which I told him I was not...I ride bikes and am really more a racer type...anyway, he was a talker and it transpired that my first bike a T250 Hustler with the upswept scrambler type pipes was almost certainly, his first jap bike, bought from Tommy McLeary in '71...I owned it from about '73...funny coincidence, I thought...

SNF
28th October 2014, 18:39
Just a quick heads up; that guy is just re-selling exhausts from a Hong Kong based company called 'Danmoto'.
You can get them much cheaper ordering straight from them.
Here's the website: http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_INT/

I don't think they have one specifically for your bike, but just buy one that has the same mounting hardware and you should be right.

Yeah I thought that may be the case, Thanks for confirming that. I am leaning towards Danmoto/Ebay anyway.

yevjenko
28th October 2014, 19:56
Just be aware Dan moto are really loud - almost to the level of obnoxious :) They seem quite well made. Interior weeks child be better but for the money you can't really complain

SNF
6th November 2014, 09:53
Just be aware Dan moto are really loud - almost to the level of obnoxious :) They seem quite well made. Interior weeks child be better but for the money you can't really complain

I'll just creep home nicely after dark. No one has complained about the CBR. Plus the neighbor has a loud Skyline. My cage is loud - 2.5" exhaust and no mufflers. Should get mufflers its kind of annoying. Rather a loud bike than a loud cage.

So I'm going to thunder beach on this beast, probably without the R1 front on it, need the subframe and I'm still haven't quite decided how I'm gonna mount it. Plan to at least do the clutch and replace all the brake pads and obviously since I'm doing the clutch I'm changing the oil.

SNF
19th November 2014, 18:44
I have come to a decision with the headlights - will be using the R1 lights. Eventually I'll get HID's for it but stuff that right now. I'm guessing right now with the mounting I'll be using the R1 subframe and welding it to the FZR one, which will need butchering to get the lights to fit and to clear the bars. Need to get a metal 08 R1 bracket and go from there. Thinking I might do some custom pin striping here and there. 10 days to go and i don't think the clutch and brake pads will arrive by then. Oh well some fun for later. Koso gauges are here, looking for mounts for them.

SNF
1st December 2014, 08:41
Changed brake fluid and pads, stops far better now. Went to Thunder Beach for the first time and it was brilliant will be going again next year. Took a few photo's along the way. I entered the show and shine for lol's. My bike got on the news and it photo bombed the Thunder Beach page on FB. Didn't skip a beat the whole trip and ran like a dream.
http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/police-unveil-coromandel-road-safety-measures-2014113016

eldog
24th January 2015, 09:53
any more developments?
I had stopped mine once I had my OFF. - wet slippery tar
got more depressed and stopped any bike stuff.
got stuck into my other 'projects' I had left while I rode, years and years of it - I rode to escape LOL
still recovering
been getting the other stuff resolved and I can see bike stuff returning
so nice to be rid of the baggage (still some to go - there will always be something)

Been following your progress :niceone: since we rode in SASS. so hows it been?

kiwi-on-wheels
24th January 2015, 11:14
Looks good!! My first is a 1988 cbr250r, 4cyl japper, just got hold of some fairings for it asits been dropped hard by previous owners. Got an mx style bar and all aftermarket levers etc with what i think is a koyo dash. Its been bolted to a piece of angle iron, which has been attached to the triple clamp. i've used an old wood spade drillbit to angle it up a bit. nice looking bike, i'm also looking at removing pillion seat and a full respray of the fairings when they arrive

nodrog
24th January 2015, 13:22
mine was a Münch Mammoth 1200 TTS-E Einspritzer.

eldog
24th January 2015, 14:03
Looks good!! My first is a 1988 cbr250r, 4cyl japper, just got hold of some fairings for it asits been dropped hard by previous owners. Got an mx style bar and all aftermarket levers etc with what i think is a koyo dash. Its been bolted to a piece of angle iron, which has been attached to the triple clamp. i've used an old wood spade drillbit to angle it up a bit. nice looking bike, i'm also looking at removing pillion seat and a full respray of the fairings when they arrive

KOW - glad to here that you got your lights fixed, the time I rode in front of you, they were shit from almost any angle. I wondered if you could see at night - at all. I think lights, brakes and the right tyres (and pressure) are soooo important.
OK Rider mental attitude is important too .
I tried to keep you in sight so you could see my bad lines and maybe avoid the pea metal/drain covers/tar bleed on the side of the road etc
My bike projects are mainly tyres, and electrical stuff :weird:
I was surprised with the amount of effort you needed when you went passed me at the end by the pub.
Keep up the good work. Pop a few photos on here (no license pl) so we can see.
Maybe get the seat fixed by the guy SPOKES referred to.
I will be interested to see how your bike progresses too. - its a real fixer upper aye:niceone:

eldog
24th January 2015, 14:07
mine was a Münch Mammoth 1200 TTS-E Einspritzer.

just a wee bike to start on :eek5:.
I started on the Yamaha Scorpio 225 - surprisingly good all round bike, under sold (almost no promotion). Has most gizmos a learner needs except a 3000km service interval. Once you know that its great bike.

Edbear
24th January 2015, 18:39
This thread makes me feel old! My first bike was a BSA B31 1951. Wasn't fast but would just top 70mph and was very loud with its gutted Dunstal megaphone "muffler" which did nothing of the sort...

ellipsis
24th January 2015, 19:32
...this threads title is a bit of a misnomer...it's a build thread...

...every bike I have ever owned has been a Munch bike... just another red herring...

eldog
12th April 2015, 19:34
SNF - any progress dude?

Yes I remember my first bike, I am still riding it LOL.
Scorpio is a great bike to commute on and do farkling without too much expense.
Quite easy to mod - well electrically anyway.
With replacement tyres handles well for NOOBS

SNF
12th August 2015, 12:01
Its undergoing mechanical therapy giving it a 60,000 km service. Done the valve clearance, cleaned the carbs, new clutch plates. Clutch basket has seen better days finding a replacement is a pain.

Banditbandit
12th August 2015, 13:41
Yeah ... BSA Bantam - I completely stripped and rebuilt it before I could ride it.