PDA

View Full Version : Hey fix-it guys and mechanics - I need help!

Kendoll
3rd February 2014, 12:55
I know a lot of you guys on here know your stuff when it comes to fabricating little bits and pieces to customize your bikes or fix things on them, so hoping you might be able to give me some ideas with my little problemo...

I have an '07 KTM SuperDuke 990r, the model that came with the single seat setup. She's second hand and the guy who had her before me put on a sexy tail tidy and some nice, loud Akra pipes (should be compulsory for a grunty V-twin I reckon!). The problem I have is that the exhausts shake a lot more than they should when riding. I have some brackets to put on them, but the tail tidy has effectively eliminated anywhere to bolt them straight in to.

So... What I need is to find a circular bracket with a bolt hole in it, so I can put it around the subframe (approx 21mm diameter) and then bolt a metal plate, like a nail board or something down to the bolt hole of the exhaust bracket. This is the simplest way I can see, since I don't have a welder. Been to a few hardware stores though, and nobody seems to have any of these bracket things (I have no idea what they're called). Does anybody know where I could get these or know how to fabricate something that could work? I have attached a little diagram with the parts I need highlighted (A and B).

I have also had a suggestion that welding some sort of bracket to the subframe could be an option... I just don't know where to start or who to ask about this!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, before my exhausts crack from too much shaking...

bogan
3rd February 2014, 13:04
You might be able to find applicable bits in plumbing hardware. But that'd be plan B as it won't look as good as something made specially; perhaps send The Reibz a PM about it.

Devil
3rd February 2014, 13:25
:p

Kendoll
3rd February 2014, 13:26
:p

Figured it would save you having to do it hehe, or me having to harrass you into doing it :msn-wink:

Kendoll
3rd February 2014, 13:27
You might be able to find applicable bits in plumbing hardware. But that'd be plan B as it won't look as good as something made specially; perhaps send The Reibz a PM about it.
Thanks for the help, yeah you're right about it not looking as good but if it's the only option I can find then plumbing hardware it is!

BuzzardNZ
3rd February 2014, 13:35
Thanks for the help, yeah you're right about it not looking as good but if it's the only option I can find then plumbing hardware it is!

Which is kind of appropriate as the diagram you posted looks a bit like a dunny :laugh:

HenryDorsetCase
3rd February 2014, 13:45
I made a bracket like that for my VFR: some 100 x 2 or so mm alooominum strap, formed it round the exhaust, trimmed it and drilled it. It looks like a piece of jewellery from the HRC race kit.*

*yeah, not really. But its not too shabby.

Kendoll
3rd February 2014, 13:52
Which is kind of appropriate as the diagram you posted looks a bit like a dunny :laugh:

Haha, I wondered how long before this thread went down the toilet. :killingme

Kendoll
3rd February 2014, 13:53
I made a bracket like that for my VFR: some 100 x 2 or so mm alooominum strap, formed it round the exhaust, trimmed it and drilled it.

Ah-ha! So it is do-able. Thanks! Glad it looks good too

jasonu
3rd February 2014, 15:15
I know a lot of you guys on here know your stuff when it comes to fabricating little bits and pieces to customize your bikes or fix things on them, so hoping you might be able to give me some ideas with my little problemo...

I have an '07 KTM SuperDuke 990r, the model that came with the single seat setup. She's second hand and the guy who had her before me put on a sexy tail tidy and some nice, loud Akra pipes (should be compulsory for a grunty V-twin I reckon!). The problem I have is that the exhausts shake a lot more than they should when riding. I have some brackets to put on them, but the tail tidy has effectively eliminated anywhere to bolt them straight in to.

So... What I need is to find a circular bracket with a bolt hole in it, so I can put it around the subframe (approx 21mm diameter) and then bolt a metal plate, like a nail board or something down to the bolt hole of the exhaust bracket. This is the simplest way I can see, since I don't have a welder. Been to a few hardware stores though, and nobody seems to have any of these bracket things (I have no idea what they're called). Does anybody know where I could get these or know how to fabricate something that could work? I have attached a little diagram with the parts I need highlighted (A and B).

I have also had a suggestion that welding some sort of bracket to the subframe could be an option... I just don't know where to start or who to ask about this!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, before my exhausts crack from too much shaking...

You could try Affro Engineering or Niggarigg Motors. Both located in Otara.

BigAl
3rd February 2014, 15:44

Yeah Bunnings has quite a lot of various sections of ali strap/brackets, may be worth a look.

more_fasterer
3rd February 2014, 17:07
Would one of these do the trick? You can get them from The Bolt Shop (that's its name) on Archers rd in Glenfield.

http://www.idealclamps.com/images2/products/list/1450.jpg

Mike.Gayner
3rd February 2014, 17:20
more_fasterer, that's what I was going to recommend. Replace A and B in your diragram with a P-clip, which you can also get from auto-elec suppliers (they're used to hold wiring looms, among other things).

nadroj
3rd February 2014, 17:45
P clip & flexi mount.

The firmer you mount it the more likely something will crack.

The Reibz
3rd February 2014, 18:05
Would one of these do the trick? You can get them from The Bolt Shop (that's its name) on Archers rd in Glenfield.

These here would be ideal. If they dont have the right size I could always whip something up.
Could be expensive though, the bolt shop isn't known for its low prices

Mo NZ
3rd February 2014, 20:07
I made up something similar.
I used a s/s clamp 25mm strap for steam pipes and a mig welder.

ellipsis
3rd February 2014, 21:33
...i made something similar from polystyrene...it wasn't there when I returned from the ride...it's a steep learning curve at times, I've found...

Akzle
3rd February 2014, 21:40
just whack some 6 inch nails through it, pussy. Will add rep to your can soundz too.

ducatilover
3rd February 2014, 21:50
You can make a P clip like that in your sleep, I made 4 for headlight mounts on my ZX6 and one for the zorst
Just wrap a wee bit of alloy 'round the subframe, crimp it with vice clamps to get the "P" shape and drill a hole, do the same on the zorst :niceone: Cost ya f-all

Kendoll
4th February 2014, 08:59

http://www.idealclamps.com/images2/products/list/1450.jpg

Yes! Perfect! I'll give those a go :)

Kendoll
4th February 2014, 09:01
just whack some 6 inch nails through it, pussy. Will add rep to your can soundz too.

Trust me, my exhaust sounds don't need any help... it's the rider that could do with some work though!

Kendoll
4th February 2014, 09:03
You can make a P clip like that in your sleep, I made 4 for headlight mounts on my ZX6 and one for the zorst
Just wrap a wee bit of alloy 'round the subframe, crimp it with vice clamps to get the "P" shape and drill a hole, do the same on the zorst :niceone: Cost ya f-all

Thanks for the tip, I've got heaps of ideas to try out now, if plans A or B don't work. Much appreciated everyone! :woohoo:

I'll let you know how *we* get on over the weekend!

Devil
4th February 2014, 09:49
Thanks for the tip, I've got heaps of ideas to try out now, if plans A or B don't work. Much appreciated everyone! :woohoo:

I'll let you know how I get on over the weekend!

And by letting you know how she gets on over the weekend, she means letting you know how *I* get on over the weekend.
A P clip, otherwise known as an Adel clamp. I knew what I wanted but never had the name for it and loved the blank looks from the people I was trying to describe it to! Argh!

Cheers people.

Kendoll
4th February 2014, 12:56
And by letting you know how she gets on over the weekend, she means letting you know how *I* get on over the weekend.
A P clip, otherwise known as an Adel clamp. I knew what I wanted but never had the name for it and loved the blank looks from the people I was trying to describe it to! Argh!

Cheers people.

Hehehe :bleh: no, I'm going to help! I'll bring you beer and supervise :laugh:

Latte
4th February 2014, 14:06

Cheers people.

Lies... 10mfc

Stirts
4th February 2014, 14:07

That sounds like the extent of my helping too.
That is all I am allowed to do anyway

Gremlin
4th February 2014, 14:28
Only hand him beers after the job has been completed... otherwise there will be another thread... ;)

Kendoll
4th February 2014, 14:57
That is all I am allowed to do anyway

Glad to know I'm not the only one... :lol: applies to loading the dishwasher too, amongst other things haha

Only hand him beers after the job has been completed... otherwise there will be another thread... ;)

Excellent advice... drunk handywork is almost as bad as doing it myself!

Kendoll
10th February 2014, 12:21
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that those P-clips from the Bolt Shop solved all my problems. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Here's my gorgeous beastie looking all flash and with properly attached exhausts :D

The Reibz
10th February 2014, 13:06
That bike is extremely tiddly.
Always liked the look of a KTM