PDA

View Full Version : $200,000 Honda CB750. Believe it!

toycollector10
3rd February 2014, 18:51
Hello fans of the CB750. Vic World's pre-production bike is on eBay. Raw unobtainium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331120055291

The four bikes were hand made by Honda engineers. Every part fabricated individually then assembled at their Hamamatsu factory. Literally, the birth of the superbike.

jellywrestler
3rd February 2014, 19:23
actually at NZD148,991.91 at the moment

toycollector10
3rd February 2014, 19:36
actually at NZD148,991.91 at the moment

As I'm typing there are seven days and eighteen hours to go. I'm pretty sure it will go close to $200k. Even if it doesn't, it's amazing.
I first saw this auction at 01.00 AM on Monday morning and by the time I had scrolled through the listing and read it through the bidding had jumped up over $10,000 USD.

Crasherfromwayback
3rd February 2014, 19:40
That's pretty cool!

blackdog
3rd February 2014, 19:44
Bidding will go as high as it needs to.

3 to 1 it is ending up in Leno's garage.

AllanB
3rd February 2014, 20:09
Very cool. Beyond my budget!

Crasherfromwayback
3rd February 2014, 20:17
Bidding will go as high as it needs to.

3 to 1 it is ending up in Leno's garage.

I think it'll end up back in the creators hands.

blackdog
3rd February 2014, 20:20
I think it'll end up back in the creators hands.

That would be quite a bidding war!

HenryDorsetCase
3rd February 2014, 20:22
I was just going to post this - glad somebody beat me too it.

Well cool, innit.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd February 2014, 20:23
Very interested in his post about the values of early sandcasts too.

Though the money people want here for K2s and K6's is still OTT I think.

jonbuoy
3rd February 2014, 22:57
Make a nice Cafe Racer :dodge:

husaberg
3rd February 2014, 23:51
Very interested in his post about the values of early sandcasts too.

Though the money people want here for K2s and K6's is still OTT I think.

interesting snippet the "sandcasts" are actually "rough dye-casts" according to something i read the other day........

HenryDorsetCase
4th February 2014, 07:50
interesting snippet the "sandcasts" are actually "rough dye-casts" according to something i read the other day........

Hey, you're right. I had no idea. Thanks for the information.

http://www.sohc4.net/cb750-sandcast/

toycollector10
6th February 2014, 08:53
If you have an interest in Sandcasts here's a link to the owner of the pre production bike that's for sale. Vic World made his millions by inventing the emergency glo stick. They sold in their tens of thousands to people going to rock concerts as well as for emergency use.

I'm currently restoring a 1969 diecast CB750. I dropped the bike in the Catlins last November so I guess I have no option but to do it now :facepalm: It'll be finished in the candy blue green colourway.

http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/MC-Retro-Article.html

AllanB
6th February 2014, 10:14
Excellent article - thanks. I do worry about people when they start trying to replicate 'rougher' polish marks in the metal before chroming so it matches what was done in 1969 ..............

HenryDorsetCase
6th February 2014, 14:05
If you have an interest in Sandcasts here's a link to the owner of the pre production bike that's for sale. Vic World made his millions by inventing the emergency glo stick. They sold in their tens of thousands to people going to rock concerts as well as for emergency use.

I'm currently restoring a 1969 diecast CB750. I dropped the bike in the Catlins last November so I guess I have no option but to do it now :facepalm: It'll be finished in the candy blue green colourway.

http://www.worldmotorcycles.com/Pages/MC-Retro-Article.html

Sorry to hear you dropped your bike. That was the red one I've seen?

Now at $130300.

Katman
6th February 2014, 18:42
Excellent article - thanks. I do worry about people when they start trying to replicate 'rougher' polish marks in the metal before chroming so it matches what was done in 1969 ..............

In a similar vein, my 1100 has some shocking birdshit welding on the frame. Many people have said I should tidy the welding up and repaint the frame, but from what I've learned, the early 80's was the beginning of robotic welding and that's just how they came out.

So the birdshit stays.

AllanB
7th February 2014, 12:32
In a similar vein, my 1100 has some shocking birdshit welding on the frame. Many people have said I should tidy the welding up and repaint the frame, but from what I've learned, the early 80's was the beginning of robotic welding and that's just how they came out.

So the birdshit stays.

Hahha brings back memories of my 80's bikes - heaps of birdshit splatter around the welds. Bugged me then, bugs me now.

There are people in the states who are restoring cars for concourse shows and they hang individual bolts from thin wire at just the right angle so the applied paint is just the right amount heavier on the correct side of the bolt! That's just sick .......

Larksea
10th February 2014, 13:56
wow that is some bike, you would kinda expect it to eventually be worth a whole lot more than that. Something that is genuinely a one of a kind historically significant bike.

toycollector10
11th February 2014, 12:32
Sorry to hear you dropped your bike. That was the red one I've seen?

Yes, but it was pretty rough after seven years of riding it in all types of weather.

toycollector10
11th February 2014, 15:06
Well, it didn't go to 200k but pretty close.

Winning bid:US $148,100

Approximately NZD $178,886

[ 102 bids ]

roogazza
12th February 2014, 07:35
Well, it didn't go to 200k but pretty close.

Winning bid:US $148,100

Approximately NZD $178,886

[ 102 bids ]

Just spotted this toycollector10, It seems like yesterday when I first layed eyes on one of these.
A tootle around the block on a mate's, mate's bike who came to show it off in Epping, Sydney.
The big dials glowing green and the biggest bike I'd ever been on.
Just incredible in those days.So trusting of the guy to let me ride it.:love:

pete376403
12th February 2014, 20:14
WHen the first CB750s came out I made a special trip to Lawton & Boyle in Adelaide Rd (Welly) to look at it - no chance whatsoever of buying one, I was still at school and the price of $1999, on my paper round pay of $1.10 / week meant it might as well have been a million.