PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Darksided their cruiser?

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 15:18
Our big Kawasaki V2k is ready for yet another tyre after another mere 5.5k Km's, it's shot. Being this monster runs on 200/60-R16 typically running to around $450 pluse fit bal etc, I typically don't get change out of $500. We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. Typically the front tyre gets it's side regions of tread worn out first before wearing out the (usual) centre of treadand usually get 10k Km's at the most. Rear tyre is usually well and truely thrashed, bashed and trashed side to side evenly across the tyre usually by 5.5k Km.

Been reading the the good ole 'US of A' forums on people fitting car tyres (typically referred to as 'dark Siding') to their rides. Has anyone done this mod here??? Heck, is it even allowed or WOF-able here??? I'd be keen to give it a go if it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Any comments would be great. Cheers all

Vinz0r
4th February 2014, 15:56
I dunno man, do you ever need to turn corners on your cruiser? Sounds like a pretty dicey setup to me..

tigertim20
4th February 2014, 16:05
this discussion has been had on here before.
Ive heard of it, but sure as hell wouldn't do it.
bike tyres are designed to have a curved carcass tor turning, car tyres are designed to have a square profile = not ideal for leaning.

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 16:13
I dunno man, do you ever need to turn corners on your cruiser? Sounds like a pretty dicey setup to me..

Yeeeep, hard case freakin the the odd biker out seeing a massive fully kitted, cruiser with thundering pipes ridden two up bearing down on them in their mirrors, all whilst dragging everything creating a decent shower of sparks. All part of the fun of punting near on 600Kgs of 2 litre cruiser, just murder on tyres though eh.

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 16:24

Yeeeep, hard case freakin the the odd biker out seeing a massive fully kitted, cruiser with thundering pipes ridden two up bearing down on them in their mirrors, all whilst dragging everything creating a decent shower of sparks. All part of the fun of punting near on 600Kgs of 2 litre cruiser, just murder on tyres though eh.

Katman
4th February 2014, 18:11
Our big Kawasaki V2k is ready for yet another tyre after another mere 5.5k Km's, it's shot. Being this monster runs on 200/60-R16 typically running to around $450 pluse fit bal etc, I typically don't get change out of $500. We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. Typically the front tyre gets destroyed side walls first before wearing out the centre and usually get 10k Km's at the most. Rear tyre is usually well and truely thrashed, bashed and trashed side to side evenly across the tyre usually by 5.5k Km.

Been reading the the good ole 'US of A' forums on people fitting car tyres (typically referred to as 'dark Siding') to their rides. Has anyone done this mod here??? Heck, is it even allowed or WOF-able here??? I'd be keen to give it a go it it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Heres a link to what I'm yackin about.............. http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding.

How do you manage to destroy the side walls on your front tyres? Do you even know what the side wall is?

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant a response.

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 18:29
How do you manage to destroy the side walls on your front tyres? Do you even know what the side wall is?

The rest of your post doesn't even warrant a response.

Sorry, should have stated clearer, not side walls, in fact side regions of tread, as opposed to usual central wear on tread. Haver edited my post to clarifiy. Side wear caused due to using alot of opposite lock steer when cornering. Intention of the post is to gather information, note the reference about safety and legal. Cheers

Katman
4th February 2014, 18:30
What the fuck do they put in that New Plymouth water?

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 18:51

Not sure, don't live there, lol.

Katman
4th February 2014, 18:53
Intention of the post is to gather information, note the reference about safety and legal. Cheers

Ok, the idea of putting a car tyre on your bike is fucking retarded.

You're welcome.

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 19:03
Ok, the idea of putting a car tyre on your bike is fucking retarded.

You're welcome.

Have to admit, it's an odd practice to do. Having read a fair bit from various forums seems to be commom practice in other country's. Thought us kiwis would know a bit about this process, or if even done down here?

Bit like the use of dyna beads, common practice elsewhere, but largely unknown down here, even most bike shops I've dealt with have to think about what they are and do. Cheers

Katman
4th February 2014, 19:11
Have to admit, it's an odd practice to do.

Americans are well known for their retarded opinions.

ruaphu
4th February 2014, 19:12
Lol true (Sometimes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbuoy
4th February 2014, 21:46
On dead straight roads its probably fine - what happens if you tip over the "corner" of the tyre on a tight slippery adverse camber - are you willing to try and find out with your pillion? Just get some hard wearing touring tyres. The cost of tyres is less than your fuel costs/mile. I don´t get the reasoning unless you live in the Midwest and can spend 8 hours riding with the bike bolt upright.

Kickaha
4th February 2014, 21:48
On dead straight roads its probably fine - what happens if you tip over the "corner" of the tyre on a tight slippery adverse camber -

Fuck all, probably just ride around the corner like he normally would, car tyres have a lot more flex in them than you'd think

jonbuoy
4th February 2014, 21:50
You first.....

skippa1
4th February 2014, 21:54
I'd be keen to give it a go if it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Seriously? 3-4 months on a tyre? Car tyre on a bike?

fuck me :facepalm:

haydes55
4th February 2014, 21:58
Saw a guy on a rocket III at Hampton with a car tire on the rear as I was leaving, I watched him corner from behind and he leaned it over just fine, had plenty of contact patch the entire lean and it never looked jerky or unnatural. That was just watching him turning through the pits leaving.

I wouldn't trust scraping every corner with a car tire on. But for touring and every day riding, on a big bike, it obviously works.

gwynfryn
5th February 2014, 06:32
Excellent idea.
In fact I would go all terrain , just love how those A/T tyres hum down the road . Adventure cruiser.

Mo NZ
5th February 2014, 07:30
I bought a spare rear rim for my GL1800. It came with a Pirelli run flat.
I threw it on and rode it. Transitioning is longer.
Leans over fine but there is more rider input as it didn't tip in the same.
Wet road grip was outstanding. Sadly that tyre is no longer available.
I started following an experienced rider on a HD cruiser over the track from Palmy to the Tui brewery.
That is I followed him for the first couple on corners. While I don't ride that fast in a straight line I don't like to slow down too much on the corners.
He said later he tried to follow me but there was only clear road after 3 corners.
That tire is now stuffed. I have a Metz on there at present and that will be stuffed after a tour I am about to do.
Im thinking on trying a zero pressure Khumo next.

The c/t option is great for slab riding, however if you don't mind a bit more rider input they are also great in the twisties and the wet.

RDJ
5th February 2014, 07:55
I ran a car tyre once on the back of the 98 V8 bike in the US, for about 1300 miles. It was excellent in terms of wear, traction and comfort for highway touring. But I did not like the way it changed the handling when going slower - especially over curbs, in and out of gas stations, and especially when the roads were covered in 'tar snakes'. I changed it back with about 2/3 of the tread still good.

willytheekid
5th February 2014, 08:27

...lippy fuckers who havn't had enough coffee!:nya:

And my Brother is right...car tyres on heavy cruisers are a perfectly legal and valid option.:yes:
Mate at work has the 1800 vulcan, is also a big bugger, does alot of k's two up and dosn't brake for corners either lol...he swears he will never use anything else! (Due to cost vs wear rate etc), and his best mate has the 2ltr vulcan...does the same thing!

Only tip he gave....use car tyres with a more rounded edge and play around with the pressure to suit...he's never had any problems in years of doing this, and has saved a shed load of money in the process.

...so if its safe, and saves ya money...why not give it a try.;)

ps...photos of the new ride please brother (ya cruiser riding....lol)

Mo NZ
5th February 2014, 08:52
I should have mentioned I wouldn't consider a run of the mill tyre, but look at the zero pressure run flat ones.
They have extremely tougher/ thicker sidewalls.
I ran mine at 43psi.

I have in the past changed all my own tyres but these need a machines due to the sidewalls.
I take mine to a car tyre dealer and get them to mount it on the rim.

Then bring it home and balance it on my static balancer prior to to fitting.

ruaphu
5th February 2014, 20:31
...lippy fuckers who havn't had enough coffee!:nya:

And my Brother is right...car tyres on heavy cruisers are a perfectly legal and valid option.:yes:
Mate at work has the 1800 vulcan, is also a big bugger, does alot of k's two up and dosn't brake for corners either lol...he swears he will never use anything else! (Due to cost vs wear rate etc), and his best mate has the 2ltr vulcan...does the same thing!

Only tip he gave....use car tyres with a more rounded edge and play around with the pressure to suit...he's never had any problems in years of doing this, and has saved a shed load of money in the process.

...so if its safe, and saves ya money...why not give it a try.;)

ps...photos of the new ride please brother (ya cruiser riding....lol)

Hey Bro, how's it goin on the bumpy roads of Chch, the place is starting to look good eh. Like the VFR too, love those machines and those magic v4 engines, they howl their heads off.

Cheers for the tyre info too, appreciated. Hard to get past the chaff to get good info eh, had a few darn good buggers provide some good info and have to say hugely appreciative of it. The cost of tyres is diabolical for the cruiser only made worse by the level of abuse I give em. Spending well in excess of a grand a year based on current levels of tyre abuse, hence the thread.

Pictures, yeah must figure out to put pic's up on this fiddley to use forum set up? Gone are the big sport tourers, on to our second cruiser now. 1st was a heavily modded vl 1500 that ate most things on the road but only had a piddling fuel range of 160kms before ya ended up having to push. The Kawaka V2K is an absolute sledgehammer, love it. Once again sporting a chite load of accessories and some minor tweaking to improve things :2thumbsup.

Cheers again for the info, take care eh.

ruaphu
5th February 2014, 20:49
I bought a spare rear rim for my GL1800. It came with a Pirelli run flat.
I threw it on and rode it. Transitioning is longer.
Leans over fine but there is more rider input as it didn't tip in the same.
Wet road grip was outstanding. Sadly that tyre is no longer available.
I started following an experienced rider on a HD cruiser over the track from Palmy to the Tui brewery.
That is I followed him for the first couple on corners. While I don't ride that fast in a straight line I don't like to slow down too much on the corners.
He said later he tried to follow me but there was only clear road after 3 corners.
That tire is now stuffed. I have a Metz on there at present and that will be stuffed after a tour I am about to do.
Im thinking on trying a zero pressure Khumo next.

The c/t option is great for slab riding, however if you don't mind a bit more rider input they are also great in the twisties and the wet.

Mo NZ
I should have mentioned I wouldn't consider a run of the mill tyre, but look at the zero pressure run flat ones.
They have extremely tougher/ thicker sidewalls.
I ran mine at 43psi.

I have in the past changed all my own tyres but these need a machines due to the sidewalls.
I take mine to a car tyre dealer and get them to mount it on the rim.

Then bring it home and balance it on my static balancer prior to to fitting.

Cheers for the Info Mo. Yep not afraid of a bit more input, being we typically punt along two up, weight and length the bike requires a fair bit of rider input and encouragment to corner adequately. The use of run flats makes sound sense, thanks for that, I'll add it to the list. Cheers eh.

ruaphu
5th February 2014, 20:54
For the uninitiated or people wanting to know/see more about what the feck I'm talking about, a couple of vid's from you know where. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZKhoFbL7Fo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_d5IIdRZI

jonbuoy
6th February 2014, 00:41
A squared off bike tyres makes a bike handle like shite. I can only imagine how a square profile tyre feels not to mention the compound being harder. Is there a reason other than saving money for doing it?

Mo NZ
6th February 2014, 05:17
Here is the Khumo RF
KU31 $207.00 DELIVERED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNDo7o1d6Q

http://tyreshoponline.co.nz/shop/catalogue/tyre-search.html

carbonhed
6th February 2014, 08:20
Can only imagine how your insurance company is going to respond if you bin it.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 09:01
Can only imagine how your insurance company is going to respond if you bin it.

Yep good point, will check up with them on this point., Cheers for that.

AllanB
6th February 2014, 09:52
It is interesting that the bike tyre makers are not punching out a rear tyre for these heavy machines with similar tech as the car tyres but in a more rounded profile.

A alternative to your $ issue is to avoid the NZ dealer completely - you can land a replacement motorcycle rear ex USA from NZ$330 for your bike. Customs won't care if the total cost is under NZ400. I purchased a set of tyres from these guys a couple years back - darn things turned up on my doorstep within a week!

http://www.jakewilson.com/t/1750/Cruiser-Motorcycle-Tires?sz=5291&vopt=0

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 10:01
It is interesting that the bike tyre makers are not punching out a rear tyre for these heavy machines with similar tech as the car tyres but in a more rounded profile.

A alternative to your $ issue is to avoid the NZ dealer completely - you can land a replacement motorcycle rear ex USA from NZ$330 for your bike. Customs won't care if the total cost is under NZ400. I purchased a set of tyres from these guys a couple years back - darn things turned up on my doorstep within a week!

http://www.jakewilson.com/t/1750/Cruiser-Motorcycle-Tires?sz=5291&vopt=0

Hmmmmmmm, never actually thought about that option!!! You make a good point. Have checked out the site, whoah, yep that's a good saving for the exact same tyre available locally. Feck we get ripped here for bike stuff eh. Cheers for the link Allan.

skippa1
6th February 2014, 16:12
Our big Kawasaki V2k is ready for yet another tyre after another mere 5.5k Km's, it's shot. Being this monster runs on 200/60-R16 typically running to around $450 pluse fit bal etc, I typically don't get change out of $500. We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. Typically the front tyre gets it's side regions of tread worn out first before wearing out the (usual) centre of treadand usually get 10k Km's at the most. Rear tyre is usually well and truely thrashed, bashed and trashed side to side evenly across the tyre usually by 5.5k Km.

Been reading the the good ole 'US of A' forums on people fitting car tyres (typically referred to as 'dark Siding') to their rides. Has anyone done this mod here??? Heck, is it even allowed or WOF-able here??? I'd be keen to give it a go if it didn't compromise safety, law etc if it ment we could go longer than three-four months on a rear tyre.

Are you sure this is the look you want?

Katman
6th February 2014, 18:27
For the uninitiated or people wanting to know/see more about what the feck I'm talking about, a couple of vid's from you know where. Cheers.

FFS, it's not about whether the contact patch is comparable.

It's about the degree that the tyre is fighting against the forces being applied to it.

Even one of those videos claimed that there is a loss of handling.

The practice is quite simply fucking retarded.

Katman
6th February 2014, 18:33
And quite frankly, as a WOF inspector, I have sent a request to NZTA that they investigate this practice and that they make a ruling on the validity of it.

It will be interesting to see if they can be fucked giving a response.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 18:39
Are you sure this is the look you want?

Lol nice pic

skippa1
6th February 2014, 18:47
And quite frankly, as a WOF inspector, I have sent a request to NZTA that they investigate this practice and that they make a ruling on the validity of it.

You must spread yarda yarda yarda

caspernz
6th February 2014, 18:57
I believe Mr Toyota has a solution for this topic...it's called Corolla :lol:

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 19:34
I believe Mr Toyota has a solution for this topic...it's called Corolla :lol:

Lol, crikey not a good ole cardboard corolla, had one, never died, never failed a wof just kept rattling along, hehe.

Mike.Gayner
6th February 2014, 19:51

I bet you're fun at parties :tugger:

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 19:54

Hopefully they do eh.

Katman, when they do, with you being a wof inspector, expect that you will reliably keep us all informed with the NZTA Facts and comments, pro and or against in manner befitting your title us motorist take direction from please?

Golly, based on your level of negativity around opposing ideas and the profanities you constantly spout you must be an absolute joy to work with or take a vehicle to. Do you constantly use profanities and berate them too???

Katman, i have no issues with discussing issues in an open manner, i just take exception to your on going boorish school boy bully attitude to open discussion.

Being a member of over a dozen or so forums worldwide your attitude and conduct is nothing short of appalling, whats more your a WOF Inspector us motorists are supposed to rely on!!!!!!! Not with your attitude i wouldn't!!!

Forums are not for taking pot shots at parties or individuals because they dare to pose a question or have a differing view from you.

I fairly warn you now, please knock it off or you will force me to take matters further with the forum owners. I have graciously tolerated your on going boorish behavior up till now.

If your any sort of decent person have the gumption to reply with a mature out look and participate in forums as they are intended..........open discussion.

You raise some good points, however you destroy them with your boorish bully boy know all antics laced with needless profanities. Do your self a favour show some integrity and grow up.

If you can't sort ya issues, simply go away.

Regards, the bully boy antics hater!

skippa1
6th February 2014, 20:05
Hopefully they do eh.

Katman, when they do, with you being a wof inspector, expect that you will reliably keep us all informed with the NZTA Facts and comments, pro and or against in manner befitting your title us motorist take direction from please?

Golly, based on your level of negativity around opposing ideas and the profanities you constantly spout you must be an absolute joy to work with or take a vehicle to. Do you constantly use profanities and berate them too???

Katman, i have no issues with discussing issues in an open manner, i just take exception to your on going boorish school boy bully attitude to open discussion.

Being a member of over a dozen or so forums worldwide your attitude and conduct is nothing short of appalling, whats more your a WOF Inspector us motorists are supposed to rely on!!!!!!! Not with your attitude i wouldn't!!!

Forums are not for taking pot shots at parties or individuals because they dare to pose a question or have a differing view from you.

I fairly warn you now, please knock it off or you will force me to take matters further with the forum owners. I have graciously tolerated your on going boorish behavior up till now.

If your any sort of decent person have the gumption to reply with a mature out look and participate in forums as they are intended..........open discussion.

You raise some good points, however you destroy them with your boorish bully boy know all antics laced with needless profanities. Do your self a favour show some integrity and grow up.

You need to be more specific.....what do you disagree with?

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 20:15
You need to be more specific.....what do you disagree with?

Really?
I'm trying to get constructive info to work with, not the constant carry on for posing a question or idea that does not sit well with one forum member.

bogan
6th February 2014, 20:30
Really?
I'm trying to get constructive info to work with, not the constant carry on for posing a question or idea that does not sit well with one forum member.

Like this?

FFS, it's not about whether the contact patch is comparable.

It's about the degree that the tyre is fighting against the forces being applied to it.

Even one of those videos claimed that there is a loss of handling.

The practice is quite simply fucking retarded.

If I understand it right, instead of having a tyre whose shape is reinforced by the pressure, you get one whose shapes is changed by it, so the effective pressure on different parts of the tyre differs wildly. In addition to it giving a profile that has not been designed for riding, and indeed results in slower turn in.

Katman
6th February 2014, 20:31
I fairly warn you now, please knock it off or you will force me to take matters further with the forum owners.

Take it international.

RDJ
6th February 2014, 20:35
So you are a WOF inspector Katman. Where do you work? Only asking so I can avoid going to your place of work with any vehicle.

Katman
6th February 2014, 20:37
Where do you work?

The Gates of Delirium.

caspernz
6th February 2014, 20:38
Lol, crikey not a good ole cardboard corolla, had one, never died, never failed a wof just kept rattling along, hehe.

If you're keen on the dark side approach, why ask for any opinions at all? The Nike approach has always been to just do it, and judge for yourself the pros and cons.

Personally, no I wouldn't go there, I'd try and find the best tyres at the best price from the bike range. But heck, life would be boring if we all could agree...

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 20:41
Take it international.

And your a site mentor too...............................unbelievable!!!

Katman
6th February 2014, 20:42
And your a site mentor too...............................unbelievable!!!

I know - I'm still shaking my head.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 20:43
If you're keen on the dark side approach, why ask for any opinions at all? The Nike approach has always been to just do it, and judge for yourself the pros and cons.

Personally, no I wouldn't go there, I'd try and find the best tyres at the best price from the bike range. But heck, life would be boring if we all could agree...

To get things covered that may not have been covered, i.e insurance issues as mentioned by a previous member. Something I had overlooked, but needs sorting as not to leave me or someone else in strife.

RDJ
6th February 2014, 20:44
The Gates of Delirium.

Should have expected nothing helpful from you. My mistake for asking.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 20:48

Me too. but hey, at least I know what the acceptable standards are now.

Back on topic though, I am very much keen to hear what NZTA have to say on this issue, just without the carry on. If you are right based on what you do and backed up by NZTA facts, so be it. At least it is absolutely clear then eh.

RDJ
6th February 2014, 20:55
ruaphu - the following info from the LTSA site is not specific for motorcycles but the generalities would seem to disfavor a car tire being fitted to a motorcycle and being approved; have bolded the apparently most relevant sentence - the repetition of the term 'compatible' would seem to be the dealbreaker. One could argue with the bureaucrats that if the tyre fits the motorcycle's wheel it is compatible but bureaucrats are not original thinkers by and large.

2.2 General safety requirements for assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle

2.2(1) The complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle must be sufficiently strong for the type of vehicle on which it is fitted, and must have a suitable and correctly adjusted geometry and a load-carrying capacity appropriate to all reasonable conditions of service and operational use.

2.2(2) The components of the complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle must be in good condition and must be compatible with the type, design and performance requirements of the vehicle of which they are a part.

2.2(3) The speed category of a tyre fitted to a motor vehicle must be compatible with the maximum legal speed limit for the vehicle.

2.2(4) The complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle on a towed vehicle must be compatible with the loading of that vehicle and the maximum legal speed limit for the towing vehicle.

2.2(5) The complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle must be compatible with the vehicle on which it is fitted, and:
(a) the wheel must be securely attached to the hub; and
(b) adequate clearance must be allowed for the brake, hub, suspension and steering mechanism, and body parts; and
(c) the wheel must be compatible with the tyre for rim profile, flange height and valve fitment; and
(d) a wheel spacer forming part of the assembly, whether original equipment or installed after manufacture, is a modification to which 3.1 applies, unless approved for the purpose by the vehicle, wheel or axle manufacturer.

2.2(6) In assessing whether 2.2(1) to 2.2(5) are complied with, a person specified in section 4 may take into account evidence that the complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle is within the vehicle manufacturer’s operating limits.

2.3 General safety requirements for tyres

2.3(1) Tyres on the same axle must be of the same size designation and construction, and of the same tread pattern type, unless 2.3(2) or 2.6(2) applies.

2.3(2) Individual tyres of multiple tyre sets on groundspreaders or dedicated groundsprayers may be of different sizes or construction in the same set, but each multiple tyre set must be the same as other multiple tyre sets on the same axle.

2.3(3) All tyres on a vehicle of Class MA, MB, MD1 or NA entering or re-entering service in New Zealand on or after 1 October 2002 must be of the same construction, unless the vehicle is incapable of exceeding 30 km/h, or is 30 years old or more.

2.3(4) A tyre must be of good quality and construction, fit for its purpose and maintained in a safe condition.

2.3(5) A tyre must not have worn, damaged or visible cords apparent by external examination.

2.3(6) If fitted, asymmetric tyres must be fitted in axle sets in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

2.3(7) If fitted, a unidirectional tyre must be fitted to a wheel position corresponding to its direction of rotation.

caspernz
6th February 2014, 20:56
To get things covered that may not have been covered, i.e insurance issues as mentioned by a previous member. Something I had overlooked, but needs sorting as not to leave me or someone else in strife.

Sure, so ask your insurance company. Then have a quiet word with the outfit that does your WOF.

Legalities aside, you may find that the handling compromise that the car tyre brings is unacceptable to you. Personal preference can only be decided by you...asking a question on KB typically results in folks giving you their own rigid opinions, as you've found by now...genuine advice is the exception rather than the rule :weep:

Katman
6th February 2014, 20:58
Back on topic though, I am very much keen to hear what NZTA have to say on this issue, just without the carry on. If you are right based on what you do and backed up by NZTA facts, so be it. At least it is absolutely clear then eh.

Quite frankly, I actually don't care what NZTA thinks of the practice.

If someone turned up at my workshop expecting a WOF with a car tyre fitted to their motorcycle I'd give them a list of any other WOF issuing agencies in the area.

I'll be fucked if I'd ever put one of my warrants on something like that.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 21:12
Quite frankly, I don't care what NZTA thinks of the practice.

If someone turned up at my workshop expecting a WOF with a car tyre fitted to their motorcycle I'd give them a list of any other WOF issuing agencies in the area.

I'll be fucked if I'd ever put one of my warrants on something like that.

Cheers for the earlier thread info, still reading though it, thanks for that.

Re the above comment, yep understand your view point and the fact you would not even touch it.

Same/similar set up in the Electrical industry I'm in, we too are held accountable passing or failing installations (especially when when it goes pear shaped) Better to walk away at the start than get involved, the best form of protection by far.

I take it from your comments you operate your own business?

Katman
6th February 2014, 21:17
I take it from your comments you operate your own business?

In between making the coffees.

RDJ
6th February 2014, 21:24
That's something anyway, the taxpayer is not directly paying for Katman to issue WOFs. If he is to be believed.

Katman
6th February 2014, 21:27
That's something anyway, the taxpayer is not directly paying for Katman to issue WOFs. If he is to be believed.

The taxpayer doesn't pay for anyone to issue WOFs.

All WOF agencies are non-governmental entities.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 21:29
In between making the coffees.

lol, cool I'll drop in for one next time passing through the place with no 'h' but now has a 'h' but said without a 'h'.................................no WOF though eh.

Katman
6th February 2014, 21:31
lol, cool I'll drop in for one next time passing through the place with no 'h' but now has a 'h' but said without a 'h'.................................no WOF though eh.

Cool, I won't see you there.

ruaphu
6th February 2014, 21:38
Cool, I won't see you there.

thats the plan, lol

GTRMAN
6th February 2014, 23:03
Hopefully they do eh.

No disrespect intended but if you don't like the answer maybe think of the lunacy of the question, granted Katman may have the social graces of a wounded ferret, but don't let the medium cloud your view of the message.

Putting a tyre not specified for your, or any, motorcycle on your rim is asking to end up a statistic.

Just sayin

Katman
7th February 2014, 06:57
No disrespect intended but if you don't like the answer maybe think of the lunacy of the question, granted Katman may have the social graces of a wounded ferret, but don't let the medium cloud your view of the message.

I'm quite happy to discuss rational ideas in a rational manner.

Complete and utter stupidity, on the other hand, gets to be treated with nothing less than contempt.

Mike.Gayner
7th February 2014, 08:39
You're a bit of a loser Katman.

Katman
7th February 2014, 08:53
You're a bit of a loser Katman.

:weep:

:cry:

:weep:

Madness
7th February 2014, 09:04

:rolleyes: What a fuckwit!

willytheekid
7th February 2014, 10:43

...Your not the only one mate:killingme

Here's some food for thought capt safety! :Police:

It IS perfectly legal to do this (So WOF & Insurance are actually covered...or the work mate wouldn't have got paid out when he was smidsy'd last year)
Its a proven practice globally that has its proven merrits, but naturally, the practice does! require some homework into what tyres suit, what the effects are, and if this practice suits the type of bike and riding style etc (Obviously you don't do this on a R1! and obviously you don't just chuck any car tyre on and pray it works!)

But most actually do this because Bike tyres are NOT perfect in the crusier world...lets look at why ALOT of people around the world do this.

..honda gold wing!...lets use that common heavy crusier as an example.

Goldwing weight- Aprox 800lbs (with out rider an passenger)
The RECOMMENDED motorcycle tyre has a max load weight of....992 lbs!
-now add a rider...passenger....gear!.....see the problem with the $600-$800 "recommended" tyre??
...just jump on any goldwing or heavy cruiser forum...look up 'TYRE BLOW OUT"...there's multitudes of posts proving that the factory tyre just is not up the job, and is actually more dangerous than the option of darksiding!(If done properly!)
Hence, due to obscenely heavy crusiers chewing through rediculasly expensive "factory" tyres (As mentioned in the OPs posts) and multitudes of blow-outs occuring for "sticking to the factory recommendations"...darksiding was born as an option for these heavy cruiser riders.

...But I totally agree that it CAN be dangerous(And understand your reluctance to issue WOF's or fit them...thats personal choice and high eithical standards!:niceone:)...but!, with the correct amount of reasearch into what tyre will suit your bike and do the job as safely as possible, you can reduce the risk of trying darksiding, and even possibly reduce the chances of a blow out or tyre failure, reduce the cost of replacing expensive factory rubber, and all with minimal risk to the rider under normal road use.

...if its safe, proven to work, save's you money and you accept the risk in doing this sort of "mod"...why not investigate the validity of doing so? (which is what this thread is all about...seeking information and opinions...not angry Coffee deficient attitudes from those within the industry**)

**The very same people that used to tell riders that if you use ANYTHING!! other than factory parts or DARE to modify your bike...you are "risking your personal safety...blah blah blah!!"...REALLY??...or is it just a great way to ensure sales of expensive "factory recommended parts"?<_<

...If you do a search online, you can see the HUGE argument over this practice between the industry etc & the riders actually doing it!...but the fact remains, its a practice that has been going on for many many years!...and yet, there are not many stats available in regards to accidents or deaths resulting from darksiding...and that says alot! in a world that loves shoving stats down people throats! - if there was a problem with the practice of darksiding...the authorities would ensure those stats where there to back up there "safety" argument...and yet, thousands of riders around the world are doing this on a daily basis...so again...safety issue?...or is it also a lost profit issue within the industry?

As always KM, respect ya personal & professional opinion :yes:...but end of the day its just YOUR opinion on the subject, that has no statistical backing or personal experiance to back it up...Im all for exploring & researching new possible options and hearing the opinions of others.

Ride safe mate

RDJ
7th February 2014, 11:00
The taxpayer doesn't pay for anyone to issue WOFs.

All WOF agencies are non-governmental entities.

Semantics. Government rules prevent any other than the present three players competing in the large market. Look it up. The taxpayer pays for the lack of competition and robust oversight - oversight and competition which should prevent, for example, the petty authoritarianism manifested in your threat to take this online discussion to your commissars to rule against the OP. Especially as you won't say even in which city your WOF work is carried out at so some of us may end up on the receiving end of your subsidized spite.

Katman
7th February 2014, 11:32
Semantics. Government rules prevent any other than the present three players competing in the large market. Look it up.

Are you saying that there are only three organisations permitted to carry out WOF inspections?

Paul in NZ
7th February 2014, 11:59
Back in the day a bloke who lived in our flat bought a 'chopper' from down south. Him and another guy jumped on the train one night and the plan was to ride it back... They arrived back around midnight sunday - poor old pre unit trumpy sounded like it had an anvil fornicating with a cheesegrater inside the crankcases, it was leaking oil so much frequent stops to purchase more were required and the lights had given up a day or so back... plus it was raining, they had an interesting trip, breaking down often, sleeping in hedges etc, certainly a tale to tell the grandkids... Anyway - in the cold light of day I gave this thing a once over...

Gawd.... Home made and heath robinson would habve made this pile look good. 12" over front end with no added rake in a standard Triumph rigid frame. 17" front wheel from a Triumph 3TA and a matching 17" rear made from a vintage car rim with a slice taken out and the diameter reduced. The rear should have been 16" but they didnt quite cut enough out and the lacing was... peculiar.... God knows how they did it and still made the wheel mostly round. Of course back then there were no 17" bike tyres so it had an ancient crossply levered into place. Dodgy does not even begin to describe this bike....

I must admit curiosity got the better of me and I did ride it once around the block - it was awfull BUT that hat bugger all to do with the rear tyre. You wouldnt dare lean it over...

A few weeks later despite several warnings from me one of the rods escaped out through the cases and flew across the road (it actually went quite a long way)..

Moral of the tale - car tyres will make your engine explode - you have been warned...

Katman
7th February 2014, 12:01

Can you supply even one reputable source that is prepared to say that fitting a car tyre to any motorcycle is an acceptable practice?

willytheekid
7th February 2014, 13:34
Can you supply even one reputable source that is prepared to say that fitting a car tyre to any motorcycle is an acceptable practice?

We both know that there is NO reputable source that will be acceptable to you :laugh:
...can you supply ANY stats that prove that Darksiding leads to the "horrific" loss of safety that you keep insinuating?

As the practice has been around for many MANY! years...the stats to back up YOUR claims of calamity should be pritty easy to find...aye<(whats that?...there is no "actual" statistics to prove this??:eek5:...whhaaaat??)

But I too agree with your concerns in regards to the different constrution of car & Bike tyres, and the fact that using a car tyre on a bike rim can lead to some pritty serious consequences...if not researched properly!...and thats the key!...researching the subject and doing some investigation into what could actually work for a particular bike or rim...nothing wrong with going outside the norm mate...as long as your not being a fucking tool and just throwing commonsence to the wind.

But your right..no-one in the industry would ever dare say its an acceptable practice...they have far too much to lose if it all goes wrong...or right!...but if an individual wants to do the research, accepts the personal risk and it actually works for them...why not challenge the norm?

...they used to say that ANY modifications to bikes are "dangerous"...we both know why the industry used to say that $$

I do Acknowledge your valid points and concerns :yes:...but, like many others, I too like to investigate and try new things instead of just relying the "industry experts"...as they quiet often have alteriour motives.

ps...crusier tyres just don't seem to be keeping up performance wise with the new "super heavy" crusiers that you can get nowdays...so if the industry is failing to provide a viable and cost efficant product..you can't really blame the owners for exploring other avenues

As always....stay safe mate :2thumbsup

Katman
7th February 2014, 14:13
Now you sound like Edbear.

willytheekid
7th February 2014, 14:31
Now you sound like Edbear.

:shit:...you take that back!! :laugh:

...what would Jebus think?:mellow: (wanna buy a battery?)

Pedrostt500
7th February 2014, 17:38
Go on put on a Dunlop Triple Traction, you could whip one off an old Land Rover.

ruaphu
7th February 2014, 19:05

Putting a tyre not specified for your, or any, motorcycle on your rim is asking to end up a statistic.

Just sayin

Sweet as GTRMAN.

ruaphu
7th February 2014, 19:09
Back in the day a bloke who lived in our flat bought a 'chopper' from down south. Him and another guy jumped on the train one night and the plan was to ride it back... They arrived back around midnight sunday - poor old pre unit trumpy sounded like it had an anvil fornicating with a cheesegrater inside the crankcases, it was leaking oil so much frequent stops to purchase more were required and the lights had given up a day or so back... plus it was raining, they had an interesting trip, breaking down often, sleeping in hedges etc, certainly a tale to tell the grandkids... Anyway - in the cold light of day I gave this thing a once over...

Gawd.... Home made and heath robinson would habve made this pile look good. 12" over front end with no added rake in a standard Triumph rigid frame. 17" front wheel from a Triumph 3TA and a matching 17" rear made from a vintage car rim with a slice taken out and the diameter reduced. The rear should have been 16" but they didnt quite cut enough out and the lacing was... peculiar.... God knows how they did it and still made the wheel mostly round. Of course back then there were no 17" bike tyres so it had an ancient crossply levered into place. Dodgy does not even begin to describe this bike....

I must admit curiosity got the better of me and I did ride it once around the block - it was awfull BUT that hat bugger all to do with the rear tyre. You wouldnt dare lean it over...

A few weeks later despite several warnings from me one of the rods escaped out through the cases and flew across the road (it actually went quite a long way)..

Moral of the tale - car tyres will make your engine explode - you have been warned...

Hehehehe nice one Paul.

ruaphu
7th February 2014, 19:10
Go on put on a Dunlop Triple Traction, you could whip one off an old Land Rover.

Lol

ruaphu
7th February 2014, 19:13

It IS perfectly legal to do this (So WOF & Insurance are actually covered...or the work mate wouldn't have got paid out when he was smidsy'd last year)
Its a proven practice globally that has its proven merrits, but naturally, the practice does! require some homework into what tyres suit, what the effects are, and if this practice suits the type of bike and riding style etc (Obviously you don't do this on a R1! and obviously you don't just chuck any car tyre on and pray it works!)

But most actually do this because Bike tyres are NOT perfect in the crusier world...lets look at why ALOT of people around the world do this.

-now add a rider...passenger....gear!.....see the problem with the $600-$800 "recommended" tyre??
...just jump on any goldwing or heavy cruiser forum...look up 'TYRE BLOW OUT"...there's multitudes of posts proving that the factory tyre just is not up the job, and is actually more dangerous than the option of darksiding!(If done properly!)
Hence, due to obscenely heavy crusiers chewing through rediculasly expensive "factory" tyres (As mentioned in the OPs posts) and multitudes of blow-outs occuring for "sticking to the factory recommendations"...darksiding was born as an option for these heavy cruiser riders.

...But I totally agree that it CAN be dangerous(And understand your reluctance to issue WOF's or fit them...thats personal choice and high eithical standards!:niceone:)...but!, with the correct amount of reasearch into what tyre will suit your bike and do the job as safely as possible, you can reduce the risk of trying darksiding, and even possibly reduce the chances of a blow out or tyre failure, reduce the cost of replacing expensive factory rubber, and all with minimal risk to the rider under normal road use.

...if its safe, proven to work, save's you money and you accept the risk in doing this sort of "mod"...why not investigate the validity of doing so? (which is what this thread is all about...seeking information and opinions...not angry Coffee deficient attitudes from those within the industry**)

**The very same people that used to tell riders that if you use ANYTHING!! other than factory parts or DARE to modify your bike...you are "risking your personal safety...blah blah blah!!"...REALLY??...or is it just a great way to ensure sales of expensive "factory recommended parts"?<_<

...If you do a search online, you can see the HUGE argument over this practice between the industry etc & the riders actually doing it!...but the fact remains, its a practice that has been going on for many many years!...and yet, there are not many stats available in regards to accidents or deaths resulting from darksiding...and that says alot! in a world that loves shoving stats down people throats! - if there was a problem with the practice of darksiding...the authorities would ensure those stats where there to back up there "safety" argument...and yet, thousands of riders around the world are doing this on a daily basis...so again...safety issue?...or is it also a lost profit issue within the industry?

As always KM, respect ya personal & professional opinion :yes:...but end of the day its just YOUR opinion on the subject, that has no statistical backing or personal experiance to back it up...Im all for exploring & researching new possible options and hearing the opinions of others.

Ride safe mate

Yep what he said. Chur chur B

gwynfryn
7th February 2014, 20:43
Don't darkside your Toyota Camry.

I only got 500km from a set(4) of pilot powers before they flattened off and it was really expensive!

Dropped into corners mean though.

AllanB
7th February 2014, 21:10
I remember buying American chopper magazines in my youth and they were spooning car tyres on the rear of them way back in the day. Long raked front end, No front brake. Car tyre on the rear .........

The ironic thing about this thread is that I often see a lot of bikes wearing bald motorcycle tyres (even through the rubber to the cords!)

Crasherfromwayback
9th February 2014, 14:45

We knocked an Ultra back for a wof few weeks ago as it had a car tyre on the rear. I don't give shit what others may say...it's fucking dangerous.

Mo NZ
9th February 2014, 16:42
I fit a 195x55 zero pressure run-flat.
Cant seem to find any markings as to what vehicle it is recommended for ???.
As long as is rated for speed of the vehicle I cant really see any lawful justification to refuse a wof, as long as its in good condition and passes the minimum tread depth.

Crasherfromwayback
9th February 2014, 16:51
I fit a 195x55 zero pressure run-flat.
Cant seem to find any markings as to what vehicle it is recommended for ???.
As long as is rated for speed of the vehicle I cant really see any lawful justification to refuse a wof, as long as its in good condition and passes the minimum tread depth.

Well I haven't ridden your bike with that tyre on it mate...but I certainly rode the Ultra we knocked back. And no sane man would issue a wof to the bike I rode. End of fucking story.

Mo NZ
9th February 2014, 17:09
Well I haven't ridden your bike with that tyre on it mate...but I certainly rode the Ultra we knocked back. And no sane man would issue a wof to the bike I rode. End of fucking story.

If it was a non run flat I agree. I would fail it too.

Crasherfromwayback
9th February 2014, 17:14
If it was a non run flat I agree. I would fail it too.

Lol. You certainly would've if you'd ridden it! As soon as you went over any sort of camber...the thing would try and tip over! And as a mechanic in a former life with a fair bit of riding experience...NO WAY would I let someone loose on that.

Pedrostt500
9th February 2014, 19:57
So ya woldn't WOF it with a fork lift tyre, one of the solid ones, my vote is still for the Dunlop Triple traction, pref stolen from an old Land Rover.

jonbuoy
9th February 2014, 22:29

Ride safe mate

Bridgestone make a tyre specifically for Goldwings:-

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/bridgestone-g704-exedra-touring-rear-tire.html

Scouse
10th February 2014, 07:14

Any comments would be great. Cheers allNot typically or usually so not typical or usual so typically and usually no

willytheekid
10th February 2014, 09:33
Bridgestone make a tyre specifically for Goldwings:-

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/bridgestone-g704-exedra-touring-rear-tire.html

They sure do!...with a LI (load index) rating of a whole 77!...which equals 412kg max load (or 910 pounds!)

Once again:

The RECOMMENDED tyre has a max load weight of....992 lbs!
-now add a rider...a passenger....and there gear! (Goldwing has HUGE storage ability remember)

...and now you can see why there are so many reports by owners of blow-outs on the super heavy cruiser's such as the Goldwings etc running factory rubber...there tyre destroying whales! :laugh:

Ride safe mate :niceone:

jonbuoy
10th February 2014, 10:00
They sure do!...with a LI (load index) rating of a whole 77!...which equals 412kg max load (or 910 pounds!)

Once again:

The RECOMMENDED tyre has a max load weight of....992 lbs!
-now add a rider...a passenger....and there gear! (Goldwing has HUGE storage ability remember)

...and now you can see why there are so many reports by owners of blow-outs on the super heavy cruiser's such as the Goldwings etc running factory rubber...there tyre destroying whales! :laugh:

Ride safe mate :niceone:

Erm isn't that load rating per tyre? Unless your pulling long wheelies your spreading the load over two tyres.

bogan
10th February 2014, 10:02
Erm isn't that load rating per tyre? Unless your pulling long wheelies your spreading the load over two tyres.

Excellent point. Aren't goldwings shaft drive anyway?

jonbuoy
10th February 2014, 10:11
Silly me - we all know shaft drives can't wheelie... Look I don't ride a big cruiser but the idea of fitting hard compound flat profile car tyres on a bike gives me the shits. Good tyres can make the difference between just needing a change of undies and a trip to hospital or the morgue.

willytheekid
10th February 2014, 10:48

:yes:...your right, thats the rating per tyre.

But each tyre must be capable of handling the bikes entire weight due to weight transference under certain conditions...such as braking or accelerating to name but two. (and due to speed + mass and all the physic's stuff happening...the actual transferred weight-or "pressure" on the individual tyres, can be higher than the bikes free standing weight)

so no...two tyres with 910 pound max load weight does not mean they are good to go on a 1820 pound bike.

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 11:23
B-Stone and Metz make GW specific tyres.
The main difference is they have thicker and more robust sidewalls to deal with the weight.

All that shit you read tyre failures is the result of some fuckwit fitting a tyre of the correct size but not the right application.
Then then bitch when it fails. No shit Sherlock get a life.

This has been lost on many of you. I will write it again.
If you fit a radial 195x55 it must be a zero pressure, run flat design, as they have the sidewall that can handle the weight.

bogan
10th February 2014, 11:44
If you fit a radial 195x55 it must be a zero pressure, run flat design, as they have the sidewall that can handle the weight.

But any car tyre has to be overinflated to work on a cruiser, so it is the pressure that handles the weight (as with normal tyres), not the sidewall. So why is run-flat so important?

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 13:29
But any car tyre has to be overinflated to work on a cruiser, so it is the pressure that handles the weight (as with normal tyres), not the sidewall. So why is run-flat so important?

I'm wondering if he's saying run 'em with no air? So the sidewall flexes more to allow a better footprint?

Madness
10th February 2014, 14:24
Not typically or usually so not typical or usual so typically and usually no

Typical response is typical. Usually.

bogan
10th February 2014, 14:27
I'm wondering if he's saying run 'em with no air? So the sidewall flexes more to allow a better footprint?

But to get any semblance of turning feel, you gotta inflate em enough to get a bit bulgy in the center, surely? :scratch:

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 14:39
But to get any semblance of turning feel, you gotta inflate em enough to get a bit bulgy in the center, surely? :scratch:

One we had here was square as a square thing.

imdying
10th February 2014, 16:15
Ah fucking ghey... I thought it was going to be a thread filled with sweet murdered out cruisers :(

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 16:35
B-Stone and Metz make GW specific tyres.
The main difference is they have thicker and more robust sidewalls to deal with the weight.

All that shit you read tyre failures is the result of some fuckwit fitting a tyre of the correct size but not the right application.
Then then bitch when it fails. No shit Sherlock get a life.

The sidewall will not handle it for long. It will fail. See above
Similar to the LT tyres.

Nah you run em around 30psi or so.

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 16:44
Nah you run em around 30psi or so.

Ok. I'll go back to bugger that then regardless!

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 16:57
A good profile on this one.

http://rezina.biz.ua/i/cont/252/%D0%9B%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5%20%D1%88%D0%B 8%D0%BD%D1%8B%20Kumho%20KU31.jpg
[url]https://www.google.co.nz/search?

The contact patch is quite big.

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 17:32
Ok. I'll go back to bugger that then regardless!

Yeah. We are all going to crash and burn .:eek5::eek5:

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 17:41
You know, I don't think any of you posters actually ride a big cruiser.?????

You have plenty to say about it????

get out there and do it with a big cruiser

Then report back

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 17:47

Then report back

That's exactly what I'm doing. Is a 430kg Ultra Classic not considered a big cruiser?

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 17:58
ok your in.
what about the others

Madness
10th February 2014, 18:07
You know, I don't think any of you big cruiser riders actually ride around corners.?????

get out there and do it with a big fang through some corners

Then report back

skippa1
10th February 2014, 18:09
ok your in.
what about the others
One over 350kg....count me in?

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 18:12
ok
so what are your thoughts

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 18:14

Then report back

already done that. see earlier post in this thread

reporting back

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 18:15

shows you know sfa

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 18:18
shows you know sfa

Lol. Ah no. You're the retard wanting to run car tyres on a motorcycle. I was simply wondering aloud what you were poss going on about regarding your choice of car tyre. But seeing as you've asked. Yes...I'm a fully qualified mechanic by trade. Been in the bike industry for 27 years...done nearly all the brands in that time. You?

skippa1
10th February 2014, 18:22
ok
so what are your thoughts

It may be fine in the ol USA where the roads are long and straight.

in NZ....it's madness......if you do this, you risk your own, and others lives on the road to save a few coins. Worth the risk? Nup:no:

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 18:22

So why are you asking that dumbass question - if you know it all?

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 18:26
So why are you asking that dumbass question - if you know it all?

Because I'm trying to gauge just HOW fucking retarded you actually are. I mean ask yourself...seriously...why do you think motorcycle tyres have a rounded profile? It's not that fucking hard a question. Then check out a drag bike tyre's profile. Ask yourself again...why they have that particular profile. Then think real hard about it...and come back to me. Until then...piss off.

skippa1
10th February 2014, 18:29
Because I'm trying to gauge just HOW fucking retarded you actually are. I mean ask yourself...seriously...why do you think motorcycle tyres have a rounded profile? It's not that fucking hard a question. Then check out a drag bike tyre's profile. Ask yourself again...why they have that particular profile. Then think real hard about it...and come back to me. Until then...piss off.

Pete you have to remember that he has the inside knowledge having read about it on the internets....., those bike tyre designers have no idea, they should search "dark side"

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 18:44
Pete you have to remember that he has the inside knowledge having read about it on the internets....., those bike tyre designers have no idea, they should search "dark side"

Think post #114 sums things up nicely. He's talking to himself. And funny how when someone calls you out and you answer regarding what you know...then go quiet as fuck you ask them to tell us their quals. Car tyres be fucked.

jonbuoy
10th February 2014, 18:47
:yes:...your right, thats the rating per tyre.

But each tyre must be capable of handling the bikes entire weight due to weight transference under certain conditions...such as braking or accelerating to name but two. (and due to speed + mass and all the physic's stuff happening...the actual transferred weight-or "pressure" on the individual tyres, can be higher than the bikes free standing weight)

so no...two tyres with 910 pound max load weight does not mean they are good to go on a 1820 pound bike.

I think it does - well Honda/Harley and the big tyre manufacturers seem to think so- you know the physics stuff better than they do? Exactly how much time are you spending on the front and back wheels? I'm sure when they give a load rating for a tyre they allow for that with a safety margin. Are the big cruiser forums full of posts about those particular tyres bursting?

skippa1
10th February 2014, 18:55
Think post #114 sums things up nicely. He's talking to himself. And funny how when someone calls you out and you answer regarding what you know...then go quiet as fuck you ask them to tell us their quals. Car tyres be fucked.

Yes I saw that, wtf???? I couldn't really care less if he wants a car tyre on his bike, it's others on the road that might become victim to the out of control bike that worries me

bogan
10th February 2014, 18:56
A good profile on this one.

http://rezina.biz.ua/i/cont/252/%D0%9B%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5%20%D1%88%D0%B 8%D0%BD%D1%8B%20Kumho%20KU31.jpg
[url]https://www.google.co.nz/search?

The contact patch is quite big.

Yeh, but tilt you head (or screen) sideways about 15 degrees, then tell us how big the contact patch is.

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 19:04
Yeh, but tilt you head (or screen) sideways about 15 degrees, then tell us how big the contact patch is.

Dude...you know sfa too.

jonbuoy
10th February 2014, 19:04

Then report back

People have a lot to say about it because it was only a matter of time before someone did this....

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TdtF_f8B0TQ/UH4pOVQ5dVI/AAAAAAAAB00/IFwNm4QmrFE/s800/IMG_20121016_214222.jpg

bogan
10th February 2014, 19:06
Dude...you know sfa too.

What if I tilt a bit more and stand on my head? will that help it make any sense?

skippa1
10th February 2014, 19:08
What if I tilt a bit more and stand on my head? will that help it make any sense?

Only if you pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time

bogan
10th February 2014, 19:11
Only if you pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time

Well, I ended up lying on the ground with sore body parts. Is that the take home message about running car tyres on a bike? It sounds pretty much bang on anyway.

skippa1
10th February 2014, 19:16
Well, I ended up lying on the ground with sore body parts. Is that the take home message about running car tyres on a bike? It sounds pretty much bang on anyway.

Yep, spot on. Run a car tyre on your bike and you will end up on the ground.....hurtin

Laava
10th February 2014, 19:21
This (http://www.dump.com/aircrafttest/), is of a similar retardation.

BuzzardNZ
10th February 2014, 19:22
Are bike tyres any good on a car ?:facepalm::confused:

Laava
10th February 2014, 19:48

They are good on Suzukis and Hondas.

AllanB
10th February 2014, 20:07

They tend to make cars 'fall over' in corners ..........

here's a 330/30/17 'motorcycle' tyre ! bet it handles like .......

AllanB
10th February 2014, 20:14
Interesting article here: http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/

skippa1
10th February 2014, 20:15
They tend to make cars 'fall over' in corners ..........

here's a 330/30/17 'motorcycle' tyre ! bet it handles like .......

She looks ok to me

AllanB
10th February 2014, 20:17
She looks ok to me

"darkside' her?????? I'm sure it is something kinky!!!!!!

skippa1
10th February 2014, 20:23
"darkside' her?????? I'm sure it is something kinky!!!!!!

It is.....it really is

Mo NZ
10th February 2014, 20:57
The laws of contact and friction

http://www.stevemunden.com/friction.html

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 20:59
Interesting article here: http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/

Fuck off mate. Mo NZ know's best!

Better than these cats feeeeer sure!

As motorcycle safety expert and AMA hall-of-famer David Hough said during our recent conversation on this topic, “Motorcycle engineers get up awfully early in the morning to calculate what works best for bikes. An owner who disregards the engineers’ advice should think carefully about his or her talents in being more clever than the engineers. The owner who installs tires not designed for the task must take full responsibility for the results.”

Crasherfromwayback
10th February 2014, 21:02

So you called me out. Now it's your turn. What are your qualifications to be talking about such serious matters that could have deadly consequences ????

bogan
10th February 2014, 21:11

So basically, darksiding sacrifices cornering grip for tyre longevity?

And lets just hope it isn't cornered in the wet, where the lack of water displacing tread pattern could be an issue.

willytheekid
11th February 2014, 07:38
I think it does - well Honda/Harley and the big tyre manufacturers seem to think so?

Really?...please, reference this.

I don't "make the physic's stuff up"...I thought it was basic knowledge that when you brake hard, the weight is transferred to the front wheel...and with all that weight traveling forwards, the force is multiplied.
...bugger it!...here ;)
http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/momentum.html

Hence....Each tyre must be able to take the entire weight of the bike...and some!. (its the "some" that seems to be lacking for super heavy cruiser tyres...hence the problems they have with excessive wear and higher failure rates than most)

jonbuoy
11th February 2014, 07:53

I don't "make the physic's stuff up"...I thought it was basic knowledge that when you brake hard, the weight is transferred to the front wheel...and with all that weight traveling forwards, the force is multiplied.
...bugger it!...here ;)

Hence....Each tyre must be able to take the entire weight of the bike...and some!. (its the "some" that seems to be lacking for super heavy cruiser tyres...hence the problems they have with excessive wear and higher failure rates than most)

Reference- Honda don't fit car tyres as standard, the fact that there are tyres specifically made for heavy cruisers if they were underated they wouldnt be allowed to sell them. Yes weight is shifted around and I'm sure bridgestone did their homework. Part of the reason Car tyres last longer than bike tyres because the compound is harder. Bike tyres are generally stickier. Have you ever had a tyre blow out? Is that the reason your fitting car tyres? What about the front - are you going for a car tyre up front as well? Has anyone popped a front tyre from heavy braking on a cruiser?

Its only a matter of time before someone comes a cropper, I would be careful giving out advice on this - its unproven and potentially deadly to yourself and others.

bogan
11th February 2014, 08:39

...bugger it!...here ;)

There is no weight force muliplier if that is what you mean, but because under braking it is a torsion and a weight, the tyre must resist both forces; of course they rate them with that in mind.

Madness
11th February 2014, 21:48
:facepalm:

Crasherfromwayback
12th February 2014, 09:26
Still waiting...

Crasherfromwayback
12th February 2014, 09:27
:facepalm:

]

Mo's bike no doubt.

Banditbandit
12th February 2014, 11:06
We typically ride our behemouth two up so the bike is usually punting around 580Kgs down the road. ll

Yeah - I gather that Mac Trucks are also hard on tyres

ruaphu
14th February 2014, 20:55
Wow what a thread, anyone would have thought I'd suggested shooting someone of prominence. So to sum up. Some agree, some don't, some know SFA (as per earlier comments)so all cool.

It is legal to WOF, but depends on the person/company if they accept the risk or not. My insurance company doesn't, won't comment. No reply from NZTA or whoever the feck it was Katman quoted..............who cares anyway. Safety, do it at personal peril. ACC prevents us being sued should fitting a CT cause an accident involving others.

Best thread goes to Allan B with the link to jakewilson.com for well priced well known branded tyres.

What have I learnt? Darksiding is an interseting option frought with unknowns that I simply cannot afford to cover should things go pear shaped (otherwise I'd have on of those new Rushmore 2014 harley waterbus' in my g-rage)

Buying local, not now! only empties my wallet faster so now I'm importing my tyre from the good ole US of A landed at my door for NZ $279!!!!! add local fitting balancing $35, thats with me removing fitting rim etc. SOOOOOOOOOOO my approx saving near on 200 hundy pingers. Front tyres are even cheaper. Sitting back awaiting my bridgestone excedra to arrive now.

Allan B I owe you a beer next time your in town!

Cheers for the comments all, interesting to say the least.

BRO........you rock as always.

AllanB
14th February 2014, 21:20
Excellent result then. It is a crime what they charge for a hoop that size in NZ!
It's Been a ride this thread, have to say that image of the push bike got me - very cool and adding it to my one day project list.

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2014, 21:42
It is legal to WOF, but depends on the person/company if they accept the risk or not. My insurance company doesn't, won't comment..

What a contradiction. Do us all a favour...and stick to round tyres eh?????

ruaphu
14th February 2014, 21:50
Excellent result then. It is a crime what they charge for a hoop that size in NZ!
It's Been a ride this thread, have to say that image of the push bike got me - very cool and adding it to my one day project list.

hahaha yeah good pic. You're right tyre costs are horrendous to say the least. Basically using that site you supplied I can get both tyres delivered to my door from the USA for the cost of one rear bought locally, silly really.

So now I'm getting my plugs, oem brake pads, drive belt, air filter, bearing kits and now tyres all via the USA for a fraction of the cost locally!!!! Way to go to supporting the economy eh.

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2014, 21:58
Way to go to supporting the economy eh.

Hell yeah! And when you crash your bike...ring the local shop...ask them at the drop of a hat to come and collect you...and when they don't...come on here an slag them off some more!

WIN!!!!! Squaretyresareus.com

ruaphu
14th February 2014, 22:12
Hell yeah! And when you crash your bike...ring the local shop...ask them at the drop of a hat to come and collect you...and when they don't...come on here an slag them off some more!

WIN!!!!! Squaretyresareus.com

Er nope, ya insurance co recovers the bike after a biff eh (well thats what mines states). BTW as stated the bike is being fitted with BIKE rear tyre, but sourced from the USA (like all my other bits).

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2014, 22:20
Er nope, ya insurance co recovers the bike after a biff eh (well thats what mines states). BTW as stated the bike is being fitted with BIKE rear tyre, but sourced from the USA (like all my other bits).

Well what the fuck's wrong with you mate? All these fucking pages of "I know better than you anti cunts!!!"...and you're fitting a round tyre?

Fuck that's funny.

ruaphu
14th February 2014, 22:28
Well what the fuck's wrong with you mate? All these fucking pages of "I know better than you anti cunts!!!"...and you're fitting a round tyre?

Fuck that's funny.

Errr you no read proper eh. The aim of the thread was to gather info about the pro and cons of the practice to be informed to make an informed decision. Data was duly accumulated assessed from here and abroad, decision being AGAINST darksiding due to many issues such as -safety - legal - insurance - wof issues etc.

I take it you fit the 'knows SFA' category, lol.

Crasherfromwayback
14th February 2014, 22:44
Errr you no read proper eh. The aim of the thread was to gather info about the pro and cons of the practice to be informed to make an informed decision. Data was duly accumulated assessed from here and abroad, decision being AGAINST darksiding due to many issues such as -safety - legal - insurance - wof issues etc.

I take it you fit the 'knows SFA' category, lol.

Lolololololol..."I take it you fit the 'knows SFA' category, lol." The lololololololololololol's are on you knobjob.

Go right back to the very start...check every single post I've made regarding this fucking retarded issue...then get back to me with your results.

You're the fucking clown that knows SFA. You and every single clown that supports the use of square tyres on a motorcycle. Still waiting on Mo NZ to show us his qualifications too by the way. In case you think I'm full of shit...have a wee look at this. Then show us yours.

ruaphu
14th February 2014, 22:52
then get back to me with your results.

In case you think I'm full of shit...have a wee look at this.

Hehehehehe, OKOKOK point taken your a mechanic, cool. Heres the results you requested...
I asked for info, got the info, assessed the info, made the decision based on the info, purchased a bike tyre based on the info.

What don't you get???? asking questions is the only way to find out things eh.

pritch
18th February 2014, 20:35

I put single malt in mine :drinkup:

pritch
18th February 2014, 21:33
Came to this late, however it was entertaining. Bling awarded where appropriate.

Just a word on the reported incidence of blowouts in the USA; one of the bike mags did an article on tyre maintenence a year or three ago. A manufacturer commented that they had been to Sturgis and checked many of the bikes gathered there. IIRC the comment was that most were under inflated, some very much so.

Various threads on KB indicate that not all riders pay proper attention to their tyres, but our bikes tend to be smaller and lighter. The much heavier bikes in the US of A, along with higher temperatures may sometimes ask too much of the already overheated tyres?

GrayWolf
28th February 2014, 10:17

I'd suggest looking in the M109 forums, I sometimes ride with a 109 owner, and he talks about a guy who has fitted a car tire to his M109, but from memory he did mention using somewhere around 12-14lbs pressure, car's put a lot more weight on each tire that a bike and only use around 24-28lbs..
Seems this particular gent is know as a bit of a 'hoon' and went through rear tires in a rapid manner

munster
28th February 2014, 12:03
I'd suggest looking in the M109 forums, I sometimes ride with a 109 owner, and he talks about a guy who has fitted a car tire to his M109, but from memory he did mention using somewhere around 12-14lbs pressure, car's put a lot more weight on each tire that a bike and only use around 24-28lbs..
Seems this particular gent is know as a bit of a 'hoon' and went through rear tires in a rapid manner

Is that Kelvin? He's still a hoon. I've met him a few times, yes he has a car tyre on his M109, no issues whatsoever, currently running it at 26lbs. He did 40,000 km's on the last one with no issues. Quite un-nerving following him through twisties, the tread stays nearly flat, tread footprint is way larger than a standard bike tyre.

Story was he was touring Oz a few years back and his Metzeler blew out in Broome, went to bike shop for replacment, they had no stock and said it would take 2 weeks. He went to tyre shop and put car tyre on and he's been a convert ever since.

GrayWolf
28th February 2014, 12:38
Is that Kelvin? He's still a hoon. I've met him a few times, yes he has a car tyre on his M109, no issues whatsoever, currently running it at 26lbs. He did 40,000 km's on the last one with no issues. Quite un-nerving following him through twisties, the tread stays nearly flat, tread footprint is way larger than a standard bike tyre.

Story was he was touring Oz a few years back and his Metzeler blew out in Broome, went to bike shop for replacment, they had no stock and said it would take 2 weeks. He went to tyre shop and put car tyre on and he's been a convert ever since.

I do believe we are referencing the same 'gentleman'..:lol::lol::lol:

Motu
16th April 2014, 21:45
Someone from NZTA has been googleing darkside - this is the latest amendment for the motorcycle section of the VIRM. Effective 28-04-14.

f) a tyre that is not suitable for a motorcycle, eg a car tyre fitted to a class LC motorcycle.

Katman
17th April 2014, 08:49
Someone from NZTA has been googleing darkside - this is the latest amendment for the motorcycle section of the VIRM. Effective 28-04-14.

f) a tyre that is not suitable for a motorcycle, eg a car tyre fitted to a class LC motorcycle.

I suppose I'll get the blame for that.

Crasherfromwayback
17th April 2014, 12:46

Good job.

I suppose I'll get the blame for that.

You and us prob mate.