PDA

View Full Version : GB250 clutch job?

jaredf88
4th February 2014, 19:28
So the bike i'm purchasing most likely needs a new clutch.
Being a noob to bikes, I am scared that for this bike it could be an expensive job. Ive bought bike for generally cheap, so i'm willing to spend a little on clutch but just wondering how much the general price of this job might be?

The guy reckons it could just need and oil change but I just want to be weary of any big costs.

Can anyone help me out? What is my cheapest option? And does anyone know of any cheap or trusted garages in auckland ?

Thanks guys this site has been awesome help.

FJRider
4th February 2014, 21:55
Ive bought bike for generally cheap, so i'm willing to spend a little on clutch but just wondering how much the general price of this job might be?

The guy reckons it could just need and oil change but I just want to be weary of any big costs.

Can anyone help me out? What is my cheapest option? And does anyone know of any cheap or trusted garages in auckland ?

Thanks guys this site has been awesome help.

Beg, borrow, steal ... or buy a workshop manual for your model bike (Some library's have them).

The clutch plates are the bits you may probably need to buy. But what is the clutch doing that you believe it needs work .. ???

Check at your local dealer for parts (alone) price ... and ask for a price for them to do it ...... :rockon:

It's not a major job ... :shutup:

And with most issues that you might think clutch work is needed done ... an oil change wont fix .....<_<

jaredf88
4th February 2014, 22:07
Thanks man,

Yeah I figure my best bet is to take it into a garage and get it all checked up despite just wanting to jump on and start riding,

I know the manuals are hard to get a hold of, read somewhere that perhaps a cbrx250 might suffice?

Anyways ill give all of it a go and hopefully it wont be anything major with constant ongoing problems.

Cheers

jaredf88
4th February 2014, 22:09
Not to sure what the clutches problem is, I pick it up tomorrow arvo so will have a full run down then.

jaredf88
6th February 2014, 11:50
So i just got the bike and the problem is im letting the clutch right out and its barely gripping, can only get up to third cause it just wont stick.
Im hoping this is just the clutch, does anybody know?
Im gonna try drop it off at a work shop this weekend and hopefully have the problem looked and bike fully serviced.

Managed to get a copy of the manual to so if anyone out there would like an e copy emailed to them im more than happy to :)

jaredf88
6th February 2014, 11:58
When i let out the clutch it wont roll forward very much and giving it lots of gas it only just starts to roll, cant get it to go more then 10km as it wont quite stick into gears. can change gears but feels like clutch wont grip.

Anyone got any ideas?

nzspokes
6th February 2014, 12:01
I had a CBX250RS, same motor. I doubt unless its done huge milage the plates are worn. My guess somebody has put car oil in it and stuffed the clutch. I think XR250 clutch is the same but dont quote me on it.

FJRider
6th February 2014, 12:17
When i let out the clutch it wont roll forward very much and giving it lots of gas it only just starts to roll, cant get it to go more then 10km as it wont quite stick into gears. can change gears but feels like clutch wont grip.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like a few plates missing (as opposed to slipping). You could try adjusting the clutch adjuster (cable or hydraulic ??)

A full service wont fix the clutch issue.

AllanB
6th February 2014, 13:14
Could be as simple as a very worn cable.

Pop a post up on KB asking in a local KBer is willing to pop around and have a look for you. Beer is a excellent currency :niceone:

T.W.R
6th February 2014, 15:22
Sounds like a few plates missing (as opposed to slipping).

More like broken springs :msn-wink:

A new clutch kit, plates & springs :niceone:

FJRider
6th February 2014, 16:20
Could be as simple as a very worn cable.

Pop a post up on KB asking in a local KBer is willing to pop around and have a look for you. Beer is a excellent currency :niceone:

Nah ... a worn cable would result it not being able to pull the clutch in. Is the Hornet cable or Hydraulic .. ???

I would bet money the clutch plates are fucked/missing ... the springs ... maybe.

Henk
8th February 2014, 19:36
I'd go with shot plates or springs, missing plates it wouldn't go anywhere at all.

jaredf88
18th February 2014, 16:33
I have pulled post as have had more explained

Henk
18th February 2014, 16:53
A couple of hours to replace the clutch sounds rightish. It isn't a huge job, one cover off, about six bolts in the clutch itself and it should all come to bits. Add a little time for an oil drain and change.
I think I could probably do it in about an hour on my bucket if I had everything lined up to go, but then I'd just be dropping on it's side and probably slopping a bit of oil on the floor, not everyone is that rough.

Akzle
18th February 2014, 16:55
guy-who-knows-shit-about-bikes > you.

jaredf88
18th February 2014, 17:10
guy-who-knows-shit-about-bikes > you.

I can completely agree with this, My GF was home when they came around and have had to have information 3rd hand. I have since heard more information from her and pulled my post.

Cheers guys

I in no way wanted to discredit motorcycle doctors as they know their stuff, i know nothing.

jaredf88
18th February 2014, 17:12
A couple of hours to replace the clutch sounds rightish. It isn't a huge job, one cover off, about six bolts in the clutch itself and it should all come to bits. Add a little time for an oil drain and change.
I think I could probably do it in about an hour on my bucket if I had everything lined up to go, but then I'd just be dropping on it's side and probably slopping a bit of oil on the floor, not everyone is that rough.

cheers for the info, definitely makes me feel a lot better.

Akzle
18th February 2014, 17:23
you shouldnt have pulled it. Might serve as a beacon to the next dweeb searching for info.
Good ur getting the bike sorted, could pay, if youre interested, to watch the job. Theres not much hard about machines, and learning to d.i.y is always a good thing.

Henk
18th February 2014, 17:24
I can completely agree with this, My GF was home when they came around and have had to have information 3rd hand. I have since heard more information from her and pulled my post.

Cheers guys

I in no way wanted to discredit motorcycle doctors as they know their stuff, i know nothing.

We all start somewhere. I'm pretty confident after working on bikes as a hobby for a number of years now, however the first engine rebuild I was involved in was a three man job on a mates RD250LC and we got one of the pistons in backwards.

jaredf88
18th February 2014, 17:36
you shouldnt have pulled it. Might serve as a beacon to the next dweeb searching for info.
Good ur getting the bike sorted, could pay, if youre interested, to watch the job. Theres not much hard about machines, and learning to d.i.y is always a good thing.

lol I can appreciate that, Im trying to learn and research as much as possible. I wish I could watch but its just hard cause im not home when they come.
Cheers

jaredf88
18th February 2014, 17:38
We all start somewhere. I'm pretty confident after working on bikes as a hobby for a number of years now, however the first engine rebuild I was involved in was a three man job on a mates RD250LC and we got one of the pistons in backwards.

Yeah thanks,
I wanna start doing a lot of D.I.Y. but just dont have the room at current house to start pulling shit apart.
Will be good once the day comes I can

Akzle
18th February 2014, 17:48
just dont have the room at current house to start pulling shit apart.
Will be good once the day comes I can

balls. Know that bit between the kitchen and the lounge?, might have a "dining" table in it. Thats storage and tools.
The lounge is for working on bikes. When your missus has food ready you can meet her in the storage area, she hardly needs to leave the kitchen to achieve this.

Akzle
18th February 2014, 17:50
we got one of the pistons in backwards.

the big arrow on it didnt give it away?

Henk
18th February 2014, 19:23
the big arrow on it didnt give it away?

Not if you've never had an engine apart and have no idea what the arrow means. Was blind luck we got the other one in the right way round.

Akzle
18th February 2014, 19:26
live and learn!

jaredf88
28th February 2014, 22:54
So they came in did the job, after 5 days of mishaps which were a combination of understandable events, they did a great job. The guy was friendly as, more then helpful and better yet i was charged next to nothing. I will definitely will go through them again.
Motorcycle doctors

actungbaby
1st March 2014, 09:31

Yes i agree with you I done mine only had one hiccup with it but that one worked out myself . it whouldint start but that was because

I Installed gear that goes to the starter in the wrong postion with a spacer . u chould think u just see how it fitted in first place.

But some part ,smove when take the cover of ;-)

Only part mucked up was that damaged gasket so slighty weeps oil and managed cut myself u have watch those sharp edges when cleaning

of the old gasket which is a must.if i used silken gasket compound as well gasket i been fine. as is bike goes great alot better.

Diddint have replace the steel plates . and the basket didnt have any wear to sepak of or wearr marks.

The thought doing the job was without talk to somone and once i did that i was like i can do this.

I be doing the cbr next but sure its got at leats one warped steel plate so replace them too.

I recomend you get plates and firbre plates as complete set as works out cheaper got mine from webmoto.

I went with heavy duty ebc heavy duty firbre clutch plates and heavy duty springs . replace the springs too.

I didnt got with cremaic clutch plates heard they can take up bit quick though idea did have some apeal.

Wooo nice power weelies lol

ps i know sounds bit anal well to be it does but found taking digtial pics of the bike set up then can look at it at lesiure on my pc

amazing what u can pick up. just wished did that with my xr 200 gearbox 1 year on i bloody forgoteen where it all goes aghhhh.

actungbaby
1st March 2014, 09:36
So they came in did the job, after 5 days of mishaps which were a combination of understandable events, they did a great job. The guy was friendly as, more then helpful and better yet i was charged next to nothing. I will definitely will go through them again.
Motorcycle doctors

Well sounds like u made right choice well done u in few year u have confidence to do the job yourself if need be

Mind you with newish bike u shouldint have to anyways i never have before know.

Silly Old Man
14th June 2014, 18:57
Years ago I had an SL350 with a slipping clutch and the way to fix it was to pull the clutch apart and soak the plates with the cork on them in kerosene. It softens the cork and allows it to expand back out after all the compression with the springs. I'd get a good clutch for a few months then do it again. Kept it going for a year or two and never replaced the plates. I wonder if they even use cork anymore? (oe even if they ever did... but the kero trick always worked.)

FJRider
14th June 2014, 19:19
Years ago I had an SL350 ...

The SL350's are a little "scarce" nowdays ...

SMOKEU
15th June 2014, 20:07
balls. Know that bit between the kitchen and the lounge?, might have a "dining" table in it. Thats storage and tools.
The lounge is for working on bikes. When your missus has food ready you can meet her in the storage area, she hardly needs to leave the kitchen to achieve this.

You've got those bitches sussed.