PDA

View Full Version : Hornet 250 not starting. Help!

CRACKATTACK
5th February 2014, 17:45
Ok so missed my full license test this morning due to my headlight dying when I went out for a practice ride last night, besides that fact everything was running sweet. Found the fuse blown and replaced that, headlight now working sweet, only to find that now the bike won't start! :bash:
Battery seems sweet voltage is around 12.4, all the lights come on nice and bright *except for the neutral light* which I think may be the issue, the bike isn't recognising being in neutral and therefore not allowing itself to start? Because when I push the starter button the headlight goes out as it should, but nothing from the starter, no clicks or anything either. And yes the bike was definitely in neutral, had to bump start it and it was running fine but again select neutral and no light on the dash :eek5: any tips, advice or things to check would be greatly appreciated!

Hmmmmark
5th February 2014, 20:43
Sorry I'm not too useful, but shouldn't the bike start in gear with the clutch in and the stand up anyway?

nzspokes
5th February 2014, 20:54
Im thinking rectifier.

Akzle
5th February 2014, 21:51
depending on year that neutral sensor could be. Either ground it out or wire it open. (or, egads, fix the cunt)
also meeb a short in the starter/circuit. Explains the headlight dimming.

CRACKATTACK
5th February 2014, 22:21
The headlight is meant to dip/deactivate when you press the starter so it can draw the most current (I think) and yea only starts in neutral from the factory can't start it in gear even with stand up, I'm thinking it might be that lockout switch and for some reason it's not recognizing neutral, any idea where I can check it that or better to drop it to the auto sparky?

Akzle
6th February 2014, 06:45
the headlight dips due to the current drawn by starter. = voltage drop.

did in my day, anyway.

nzspokes
6th February 2014, 06:52
Roll start it then put a volt meter on it. Sounds like rectifier has gone and is blowing shit up. Hondas do that.

Akzle
6th February 2014, 07:27
Roll start it then put a volt meter on it. Sounds like rectifier has gone and is blowing shit up. Hondas do that.

youre probably also right. I shouldnt assume hes done anything sensible like check the drop when starting, or test the battery.

nzspokes
6th February 2014, 08:07
youre probably also right. I shouldnt assume hes done anything sensible like check the drop when starting, or test the battery.

Testing the battery wont help if its getting 30/40 volts up it and stuffing it.

Katman
6th February 2014, 22:16
Im thinking rectifier.

Stick to working on push bikes.

nzspokes
7th February 2014, 05:49
Stick to working on push bikes.

I dont champ.

Katman
7th February 2014, 14:22
I dont champ.

Oh, that's right.

You weren't any good at that either.

CRACKATTACK
7th February 2014, 15:30

Yeah...I guess you never learnt to read properly because you obviously missed the part where I said I tested the battery and it was 12.4V :rolleyes:
Also why suggest that it could be a short in the headlight circuit causing the headlight to dim, then go on to say its caused by the current drawn by the starter? Basically repeating what I said :clap:

I just hate misinformation and bullshit in tech threads when people just want to find an answer to their solution, would prefer no response then random guesses and people trolling so in the hopes that this thread can actually be beneficial, I've found out what is hopefully the cause and its the three way diode assembly (part #11)http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01= 13MBZ2I1&block_02=F__2802&block_03=1827 hopefully that is helpful if someone else is ever in a similar predicament.

idb
7th February 2014, 15:35
If it was me I'd start with the easy stuff first.
Locate the neutral switch and test that it's working.

bogan
7th February 2014, 15:57
Yeah...I guess you never learnt to read properly because you obviously missed the part where I said I tested the battery and it was 12.4V :rolleyes:
Also why suggest that it could be a short in the headlight circuit causing the headlight to dim, then go on to say its caused by the current drawn by the starter? Basically repeating what I said :clap:

I just hate misinformation and bullshit in tech threads when people just want to find an answer to their solution, would prefer no response then random guesses and people trolling so in the hopes that this thread can actually be beneficial, I've found out what is hopefully the cause and its the three way diode assembly (part #11)http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01= 13MBZ2I1&block_02=F__2802&block_03=1827 hopefully that is helpful if someone else is ever in a similar predicament.

He may be a dick, but he has a point. 12.4 sounds a bit low for a resting voltage, and measuring the drop would tell you more about the current drawn and batteries ability when the starter is pressed.

Also, what is the voltage on the battery when its running?

idb
7th February 2014, 16:02
He may be a dick, but he has a point. 12.4 sounds a bit low for a resting voltage, and measuring the drop would tell you more about the current drawn and batteries ability when the starter is pressed.

Also, what is the voltage on the battery when its running?

Hmmm...shows ya what I know.
I would have thought 12.4V was about bang on.

Katman
7th February 2014, 16:24
Have you load tested the battery?

Akzle
7th February 2014, 17:11

well done dipshit.
Measuring the voltage once is not "testing the battery"
point to where i said "short in the HEADLIGHT circuit"

no? Me neither. Bring me your class notes from that "learnt to read" course when youre done.
Jizz stain.

Akzle
7th February 2014, 17:13
p.s.
A 3 way diode is usually a bridge rectifier.

bogan
7th February 2014, 18:02
Hmmm...shows ya what I know.
I would have thought 12.4V was about bang on.

I look for 12.6+ if it is in service.

p.s.
A 3 way diode is usually a bridge rectifier.

OR circuit, like what you need for the neutral/clutch switches.

ducatilover
7th February 2014, 18:25
Check battery voltage drop when you hit the starter, check drop from battery to solenoid, and solenoid to starter.

Your neutral switch is plugged in is it?