PDA

View Full Version : Beginner places to ride in west Auckland?

gspiggs
5th February 2014, 19:15
looking for a wide open area ( ie Field or farm ) to learn how to ride my KTM exc 200 properly. Live out near woodhill but is a bit sandy this time of year. Can ride a road bike just fine but new to the sport so wouldn't mind a bit more room to practise on. Any suggestions? I haven't tried dome valley or south of Auckland bike parks yet.

Jay GTI
5th February 2014, 21:12
Thundercross may be your best bet, a couple of tricky for a beginner sections on the B loop (well my missus thought twice about them, but rode them fine) but plenty of room to figure out the basics.

nzspokes
5th February 2014, 21:19
Thundercross may be your best bet, a couple of tricky for a beginner sections on the B loop (well my missus thought twice about them, but rode them fine) but plenty of room to figure out the basics.

Agreed. Thundercross is great for newbs. B loop a good start. Then later on MotoX central is fun.

Dave89
6th February 2014, 07:43
Go and stay at The Farm for the weekend, every type of trail , but more importantly big open fields you can just go and play in.

Henk
7th February 2014, 22:07
Just head out to woodhill, you know how to ride a bike anyway and as long as you remember to stand up you'll be fine. Good thing about the forest when you don't know what you are doing is you'll hit a tree before too long if it gets away on you, unlike an open paddock where you can pick up lots of speed before you put yourself through the nearest fence.

gspiggs
10th February 2014, 11:23
All good advice, thanks all. I also have a mate that has some land scenic drive way so will give that a go.

barty5
17th February 2014, 04:04
Better off to learn at sandpit that way by making it a little harder for yourself when you do get toother places that are harder you wont be afraid to have a go.

Jay GTI
18th February 2014, 09:32
Better off to learn at sandpit that way by making it a little harder for yourself when you do get toother places that are harder you wont be afraid to have a go.

The Sandpit is hard going if you don't know what you're doing, which is why I highly recommend getting a lesson for the first ride. I might be able to ride reasonably well but I can't teach, so a couple of newbies I've taken out there I got to have lessons from the Sandpit crew, they've both fully agreed with me afterwards. This even applies if you're a roadie, off-roading is backwards, so all your usual instincts will be wrong.

Trust me, 1 lesson out there will save you hours and hours of struggle, riding badly and trying to unlearn bad technique (I speak from experience, I'm still unlearning a couple of major bad habits).