PDA

View Full Version : Went for my first ride!

TraD_MaN
29th August 2005, 17:55
finaly got my learners today :spudflip: WooT!. so i took my bike for a putt putt on the back roads, mann i was soo scared i dunno why i neva went ova 70 kph limit, bu thats fast :ride: my battery is flat a lil so my speedo is all ova the place so i prolly went under 70 ks lol. newhoo i left my visor up and got a head chill :clap: so that sucks.

couple of questions...

is having nut chill common?

and also my hand kept slipping wen i went to change gears n i ended up reving it off the clock and also is it possibal to relax the hands when u are just putting along coz i was frozen to the handle bars like a retard...

DemonWolf
29th August 2005, 18:00
Hope ya were wearing gloves (and other protected gear!).

Generally once ya kitted up.. ya fine from the weather elements... (generally!)

cowboyz
29th August 2005, 18:14
nut chill? ummm. Never experienced it myself. As DemonWolf was saying, I hope you were wearing some kind of protective gear. You don't have to be fully kitted out in leathers to go road riding but at least you should have clothing of some kind of heavier fabric covering your entire body. I cringe when I see people riding in shorts. For 2 reasons, firstly you would think it would be damn cold, and secondly, if you stack it then skin vs road is not a good look. Jeans aren't much better but at least its something. Oh and buy a good jacket with armour. Even going off to work I wear my jacket over my work clothes. I just don't feel right on a bike without my riding jacket.

Holding on to handlebars. This is a confidence issue. Don't hold on for dear life. You should be able to relax on the bike and let it do the work for you. If you are grasping at the handlebars then you are going to get fatigued very quickly and make silly mistakes like overshooting corners or stacking it into a car.

Ride at your own pace. Don't try to keep up with anyone or race anyone. After all, if life is a race then those who finish first don't really win anything do they?

Enjoy riding.

Coyote
29th August 2005, 18:22
I'm afraid the wonderful world of motorcycles isn't very kind towards your 'nuts'

Hitcher
29th August 2005, 18:50
finaly got my learners today WooT!. so i took my bike for a putt putt on the back roads, mann i was soo scared i dunno why i neva went ova 70 kph limit, bu thats fast my battery is flat a lil so my speedo is all ova the place so i prolly went under 70 ks lol. newhoo i left my visor up and got a head chill so that sucks.

couple of questions...

is having nut chill common?

and also my hand kept slipping wen i went to change gears n i ended up reving it off the clock and also is it possibal to relax the hands when u are just putting along coz i was frozen to the handle bars like a retard...
Gahhhhh!!!! No no no no no no no no. Have you no soul?

I'm sorry. That's right. You were "frozen to the handlebars like a retard". Next time wait until you have thawed before posting. In English. Please.

Oh, and congratulations on getting your learners.

Antallica
29th August 2005, 18:56
Great first bike mate. She'll do you right as long as you don't treat her bad.

TraD_MaN
29th August 2005, 19:51
sorry about my english sir

i got all the gears except for protective pants and boots. im loooking on trade me for some right now.

im just going to take it easy, im in no rush right now to go fast or do anything stupid for my riding skills, im too young to go throw my life away.

carnt wait till tomorrow thoe :ride:

RoadRocket
29th August 2005, 20:16
Take your time. Was I the the last one to ride that bike?
Hope your gonna change those tyres.

Oakie
29th August 2005, 20:23
Take your time. Was I the the last one to ride that bike?
Hope your gonna change those tyres.

And if you are going to change them, you don't need to pay the $195 for the genuine Suzuki rear. There is at least one brand out there for just over $100. Makes a big difference to the ride too.
Good bike to start on. Just don't let any clowns back into it like happened to mine ... twice.

froggyfrenchman
29th August 2005, 20:33
youll loosen up as you ride more, the movements will become less mechanical and more natural. Ride visor closed when you can, youll understand that if you get shit in your eyes, if you feel the need to have it open... wear shades. Best of luck with your riding in the future

Antallica
29th August 2005, 20:35
Pirelli MT75's will do yer just fine. Loved those tyres.

TraD_MaN
29th August 2005, 21:30
oo i got a new tyres for free when i got my bike, forgot the make but they said they are a very good tyre.

CPB
29th August 2005, 21:37
aaaaaahhhh, the thrill of the first legal ride....niiiice. May you have many more safe and enjoyable rides to come!!