PDA

View Full Version : Suspension setup for Christchurch roads?

Oakie
9th February 2014, 21:33
I've never really worried much about suspension. As long as it's been firm enough so my ride doesn't wallow through corners it's been good enough. But now I have a new bike (GSR600) and suspension is an issue.

It's an issue because it seems pretty hard (compared to the Bandit anyway). Lovely on the road from Dunedin to Christchurch but when doing the commute I noticed that my arse and lower back takes a battering over the bumps. I've had Mrs Oakie on the back a couple of times too and she found it firm to the point of being too uncomfortable. That firmness did make cornering two up a lot better than the Bandit though so it's not all bad.

Currently the bike is set on the 4th of 9 preload settings (9 being the firmest) and the rebound damper set at the 'normal' point. Can't quite get my head around whether I need more or less rebound damper to soften the ride up a bit. SO ... that is question 1.

Also wondering how people who actually care about tuning their suspension have got their rear suspension set up for Christchurch roads?

FWIW, I've reduced rear pre-load to three today and made no other changes. Not worried about the front end at this time.

Oh, did I mention that the previous owner lowered the suspension for his wife and then raised it for me. Seems to know what he was doing though.

SVboy
10th February 2014, 12:05
Get yourself and your bike booked into the trevor peirce dave moss talk this friday night and you bike will be set up by Dave just for you.
Great opportunity.

Oakie
10th February 2014, 12:09
Get yourself and your bike booked into the trevor peirce dave moss talk this friday night and you bike will be set up by Dave just for you.
Great opportunity. Thanks I'll check that out and see if I can make it.

Shaun Harris
12th February 2014, 08:20
Thanks I'll check that out and see if I can make it.

If you are serious, YOU WILL MAKE IT man, Dave is bloody good

Oakie
13th February 2014, 21:28
If you are serious, YOU WILL MAKE IT man, Dave is bloody good

Would you believe that I'm staying home on Friday night so I can pick and preserve the fruit off our nectarine tree so we can head away camping on Saturday morning?

I'm a disgrace! :no:

Shaun Harris
14th February 2014, 05:58
Would you believe that I'm staying home on Friday night so I can pick and preserve the fruit off our nectarine tree so we can head away camping on Saturday morning?

each to there own mate

nzspokes
14th February 2014, 06:16

At least say your getting on the piss with some mates.....

chucklesby
14th February 2014, 09:48

nice job wearing the pants oakie :rolleyes:

Kickaha
14th February 2014, 16:44
Road bikes are really no longer suited to ChCh roads and will never really be for many many years to come

Rubbish, depends entirely in what part of Chch you're riding

SMOKEU
14th February 2014, 17:29
Road bikes are really no longer suited to ChCh roads and will never really be for many many years to come due to a recent anouncment that most roads will only be patched and not resealed due to lack of funds.

So reduce your speed on bumpy bits. Ride to the conditions and all that.

AllanB
14th February 2014, 18:51
Set your sag first. Adjust to suit from there.

Depends on you, your bike and your riding style as to how you adjust for our bumpy roads.

If you set it really hard and ride fast you can just skim along the top of the bumps .......

nzspokes
14th February 2014, 19:05
Road bikes are really no longer suited to ChCh roads and will never really be for many many years to come due to a recent anouncment that most roads will only be patched and not resealed due to lack of funds.

Does you skirt get caught in the chain often?

AllanB
14th February 2014, 19:20

:no::no::no::no::no::no:

Sooooooo wrong.

Oakie
14th February 2014, 19:36
nice job wearing the pants oakie :rolleyes:

Doing it right now and they smell great. 12kg of nectarines. About 28 half bottles by my reckoning.

nzspokes
15th February 2014, 06:42
I had a BMW that had stuff all suspention travel so bought a adventure bike in Aug 2011 as I had a gut feeling back then the roads would be stuffed for many years. It makes a far more relaxing ride.

You really dont get the point of motorcycles do ya.

SVboy
15th February 2014, 20:22

Has madam considered the Toyota Rav4?

imdying
19th February 2014, 12:57
You really dont get the point of motorcycles do ya.I believe the point may in fact be different for every person. I would agree with him that if you live on the east side, then bikes are not exactly a commuters dream. I live in the west, and don't really notice much difference these days.

ellipsis
19th February 2014, 15:47
I do live in the west but do cross town once a week. Even in the west pot holes are forming after heavy rain and if they are between the wheels of the car in front its not easy to avoid in a line of traffic. Lots of car drivers are finding suspension damage from ChCh roads which I am sure would not be good for road bike suspension either.

...you make a lot of the fuckwits I have to deal with seem like switched on people...