PDA

View Full Version : Nearly opaque coolant overflow tank

SMOKEU
12th February 2014, 12:12
The plasic coolant overflow tank has started to turn opaque on the old SRAD, so it's pretty hard to see the coolant level, even with fresh green coolant. Is there any easy way to make it a bit more clear again? I've tried a cut and polish, but that hasn't done much.

imdying
12th February 2014, 16:12
Bleach that fucker. Can't be helped though, glycol resistant plastics always suffer from UV degradation.

hayd3n
12th February 2014, 16:26
stupid uv damage, replace it and put a sock over it ,

oneblackflag
12th February 2014, 16:33
Have yo tried scraping the degradated pastic with a blade to take of the top layer? Just a thought.

george formby
12th February 2014, 17:11
Have yo tried scraping the degradated pastic with a blade to take of the top layer? Just a thought.

Not a dumb one. Might be able to buff a line down the plastic clear enough to show coolant level. Give it a rub with an old scotch brite & see what happens.

The oil reservoir on my 2t is black plastic with no window. Just a hole of mystery at the top. Rips me nightie no end.

gammaguy
12th February 2014, 17:34
soak it in bleach for a while,or put it in the washing machine while yer other half is washing her undies...she will never know right?

gammaguy
12th February 2014, 17:35
Not a dumb one. Might be able to buff a line down the plastic clear enough to show coolant level. Give it a rub with an old scotch brite & see what happens.

The oil reservoir on my 2t is black plastic with no window. Just a hole of mystery at the top. Rips me nightie no end.

that will only ever happen on a 2T with an oil light

my TDR has it inside the fuel tank,what is in there I have no clue (except it is Rock 2T fully synth),until the light pops on

haydes55
12th February 2014, 19:28
Shine a bright light through it. Problem solved.

Next!

AllanB
12th February 2014, 21:30
soak it in bleach for a while,or put it in the washing machine while yer other half is washing her undies...she will never know right?

WTF is she doing in those undies if they require bleaching?

Back to the bike - is it the exterior that has yellowed or the internal sides colouring up? Internal is a good wash out (bleach?), external is just aged plastic - couple products on the market that may improve this but if you have a cutting polish try a bit first.

skippa1
12th February 2014, 21:55
The plasic coolant overflow tank has started to turn opaque on the old SRAD, so it's pretty hard to see the coolant level, even with fresh green coolant. Is there any easy way to make it a bit more clear again? I've tried a cut and polish, but that hasn't done much.

Ask this turkey if he will post to NZ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR-GSX-R-600-750-1000-COOLANT-TANK-EXPANSION-BOTTLE-17910-35F02-/201023938870?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecdf5e136

SMOKEU
13th February 2014, 11:08

I tried using a scraper to get the top layer off, but it hasn't improved anything.

Shine a bright light through it. Problem solved.

Next!

That works to some extent.

Back to the bike - is it the exterior that has yellowed or the internal sides colouring up? Internal is a good wash out (bleach?), external is just aged plastic - couple products on the market that may improve this but if you have a cutting polish try a bit first.

The cutting polish didn't do anything, so I think it's the inside that's darkened.

Ask this turkey if he will post to NZ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR-GSX-R-600-750-1000-COOLANT-TANK-EXPANSION-BOTTLE-17910-35F02-/201023938870?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecdf5e136

That one is for the 2001-2003 Gixxer, which is a different model from my 1997. I think the bottle will be different.

skippa1
13th February 2014, 19:04
I tried using a scraper to get the top layer off, but it hasn't improved anything.

That works to some extent.

The cutting polish didn't do anything, so I think it's the inside that's darkened.

That one is for the 2001-2003 Gixxer, which is a different model from my 1997. I think the bottle will be different.

They have em for the 97

SMOKEU
13th February 2014, 19:05
They have em for the 97

Sweet. :2thumbsup