PDA

View Full Version : aluminium and degreaser

thehollowmen
30th August 2005, 09:24
We've got a nice self-carwash place with high pressure hoses.
The engine degreaser takes roadcrap and saltspray and stuff off like you wouldn't believe. And the high pressure water is "the shizzil" too.
BUT BEWARE Today they put a sign up saying that engine degreaser can't be used on aluminum :nono:

So if you use one of those places and have an aluminium engine, check.
As far as I can google it stains polished aluminium but..

My bike is 80% alumium and 20% plastic. What damage might I have done?

scumdog
30th August 2005, 09:32
You'll notice the stains on the alloy, they CAN be polished out with a bit of Autosol and elbow grease but it is possible the protective anodising has been damaged/removed by the degreaser.

I try and keep it off the polished areas, just use it on the cruddy underneath stuff.

And don't use high-pressure too near 'lectrics and gasket/seal areas or you'll end up with water where you don't need it.

thehollowmen
30th August 2005, 09:34
And don't use high-pressure too near 'lectrics and gasket/seal areas or you'll end up with water where you don't need it.

Thankies
Yep yep I've also been trying to keep it away from the chain for obvious reasons

Oh well.. back to soap and water ;-)

Motu
30th August 2005, 09:43
I spray the whole bike and then hit it with the high pressure water blaster,I've done it this way forever with out damage - but then I'm not anal about my bikes,they are just bikes...I use them hard,and wash them hard,the wimpy bikes that can't take it fall by the wayside as stupid bikes I used to own.

zadok
30th August 2005, 10:19
but then I'm not anal about my bikes, they are just bikes...
aaaah, I can't believe you just said that. Mind you it looks like you ride dirt bikes anyway, so they need a good cleaning.
I haven't found the need to go to some commercial outfit to clean any of my bikes yet. One more good reason not to, I guess.

Ixion
30th August 2005, 17:47
You're supposed to clean them ? How does that make them go faster ?

Huntaway
30th August 2005, 18:07
An excellent tip from my bike manual for shifting difficult crud is to wipe it off with spraying oil and hose clean. Works a treat around rear wheel area.

thehollowmen
30th August 2005, 21:22

Nah, just an excuse to uh.. "spin-dry" it for a sunny afternoon ;-)

And I don't have a hose since I live in an appartment so... yeah.. $2 is a small price to pay for a high pressure water stream.

Pixie
31st August 2005, 10:57
Lowers wind resistance