PDA

View Full Version : what kind of bike should i buy for daily use?

Vilicus
30th August 2005, 18:13
hi everyone, i am new to forum!

i just decided to purchase a mortorcycle for everyday use on roads. due to the restriction my learner license, i can only get under 250cc bikes, so i am planing to get a sport bike like ZXR250 or honda CBR250, but a guy just advised me that sport bikes can be quite uncomfortable to ride under legal speed.
(so i am quite confused now)

can anyone offer some advises?

texmo
30th August 2005, 18:24
get a scooter

DemonWolf
30th August 2005, 18:33
Welcome to KB Vilicus =)

gamgee
30th August 2005, 18:36
oh gawd do you seriously ride a belladona (well you can't really do it seriously but you know what i mean :motu: ) i wouldn't go for a sportsbike for your first bike, you'll almost certainly fall off and with all those fairings and that extra power you'll be damaging yourself and the bike a lot more, 250's hold there value well so your better off getting some old shitter 250 like a gn250 or an sr250 for the 6 months your on your learners, until you feel confident enough to move onto something quicker like a cbr/zzr/zxr/gsxr (or even a vt250f like i did) then once you get your full you should feel up to moving onto something with a bit more grunt like a cbr400/600 thats the plan for me at least, just i've sort of strayed slightly by getting the vt250f before my restricted and sitting on my learners for nearly a year lol, i need money to pay for the test though

gamgee
30th August 2005, 18:39
thats 300 posts for me....

justsomeguy
30th August 2005, 18:44
Welcome to KB

Here's some reading material: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=4151

myvice
30th August 2005, 18:47
Depends on your trip to work, and if you’ve got fked knees/back/shoulder blades like me then sport bikes can be a bit tight.
If it’s not too far and you haven’t broken or dislocated lots of bits then you will be fine on the RR of your dreams...
If you want a little more comfit try a Hornet or a Bandit for size.
Or get a GN and keep the Crouching Pillock, Hidden Wallet type bike for the weekend.

inlinefour
30th August 2005, 18:54
But I'm a tad biased, ask anyone :psst:

Paul in NZ
30th August 2005, 19:00
I'd go for a reliable one...

Welcome to the site

myvice
30th August 2005, 19:00
But I'm a tad biased, ask anyone :psst:
Had the Bandit on a dyno, (sad eh?) 33HP! The power! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Same as a CBRprettier than a CBR tho... :Pokey:

Zed
30th August 2005, 19:20
thats 300 posts for me....Hehe, I remember a time when KB members thought 300 or 500 posts was an achievment - well done that man! :clap:

Zed
30th August 2005, 19:35
hi everyone, i am new to forum!

i just decided to purchase a mortorcycle for everyday use on roads. due to the restriction my learner license, i can only get under 250cc bikes, so i am planing to get a sport bike like ZXR250 or honda CBR250, but a guy just advised me that sport bikes can be quite uncomfortable to ride under legal speed.
(so i am quite confused now)

can anyone offer some advises?Hi and welcome to KiwiBiker Vilicus!

Nah, that is rubbish about being uncomfortable under legal speeds, even my 230kg, 1137cc CBR cruises along without trouble under the limit...well...so the previous owner said!

You'll be sweet with the CBR I reckon, can't recall anyone who ever put them down. $4000+ will get you a good one. You'll love it. :spudflip:

madboy
30th August 2005, 19:45
Welcome to KB.

Your question is kinda like how long is a piece of string. If you are sensible, like your family and want to see your children/grandchildren grow up, start with a GN250, then a 400 then buy the bike you really want.

If you're nuts, buy a 2-stroke 250 which may or may not live long enough to complete your transition to a full license, then take your pick of which 1000cc sportsbike you'd like to die on.

Personally I went for a compromise and went FZR400 for a year then ZX636R. License conditions were not something I lost a lot of sleep over.

I highly recommend the CBTA courses, no substitute for rider training. And the odd trackday will do wonders for your confidence and skill level. Even if you're not trying to set lap records, just knowing how far you can crank the bike over is fully worth the modest asking price.

And in case you are wondering, I commute on my bike roughly 20kms each way. Biggest problem I have is if I go for the more sportier tyres I wear them flat in the centre (you don't get much lean angle on the motorway during rush hour).

sels1
30th August 2005, 19:52
Welcome aboard the site. Get something you are comfortable on. Some 250s have small frame sizes which can be a bit awkward if you are of a taller/bigger build - others are roomier. Have you had a look at the Hyosang 250? good value for money and easy to ride.

mattt
30th August 2005, 19:57
Welcome aboard the site. Get something you are comfortable on. Some 250s have small frame sizes which can be a bit awkward if you are of a taller/bigger build - others are roomier. Have you had a look at the Hyosang 250? good value for money and easy to ride.

And when you're sick of riding something ugly - then buy a CBR and look cool with a fully faired sports bike like the rest of us :motu:

mattt
30th August 2005, 20:02
Personally I went for a compromise and went FZR400 for a year then ZX636R. License conditions were not something I lost a lot of sleep over.

I drink to that. My first bike was a FZR400 - I then graduated after 3 months to a ZX9R... Then the nice lady dressed like Darth Vader told me I wasn't allowed to ride for 6months. :doh:

Skunk
30th August 2005, 20:07
I started on a KR250A two stroke, then moved to a ZXR400 then a ZX6R.

So I can say that's not the way I would advise anyone to do it.

Get a bike thats a cheap, ugly, no-fairing, docile, four stroke 250. Get your skills up and move on. I say cheap because you MAY move on quickly. :yawn:

madboy
30th August 2005, 20:08
Then the nice lady dressed like Darth Vader told me I wasn't allowed to ride for 6months. :doh:Can't say I've met any ladies dressed like that since I've had a bike... must be cos her stormtroopers dressed in blue seem to be pretty hopeless at delivering the invitations to her party.

zadok
30th August 2005, 20:12
Welcome Vilicus. They sound like great bikes to me. Good for resale too I would imagine.

sels1
30th August 2005, 20:24
And when you're sick of riding something ugly - then buy a CBR and look cool with a fully faired sports bike like the rest of us :motu:

And dont listen too much to Honda riders, some of them are more one - eyed than than the proverbial Canterbury Rugby supporters....... :rofl:

madboy
30th August 2005, 20:35
And dont listen too much to Honda riders, some of them are more one - eyed than than the proverbial Canterbury Rugby supporters....... :rofl:I thought that was gixxer owners? Oh f***, don't tell me everyone thinks their own brand is the best?!

Roadrash
30th August 2005, 20:35
Hi mate, would choose the cbr 250rr myself but make sure it is an rr not the poxy single front disc cbr had one when i was on my learners and still rate it as one of the funnest bikes i ever killed
:Punk:

Dafe
30th August 2005, 20:42
Only buy an Aprillia 250! Its the only 250 I'd bother owning.
Its in keeping with the - Sportiness.....

crashe
30th August 2005, 21:10
Welcome to the site.....

Nah dont listen to the lads.... :rofl: :rofl:

Buy a cruiser, they are great for getting around town on... and commuting on as well. There are many models of cruisers that are 250cc to look at and they are really comfortable to ride.
But then I am biased towards cruisers.

myvice
30th August 2005, 21:12
Only buy an Aprillia 250! Its the only 250 I'd bother owning.
Its in keeping with the - Sportiness.....
What if he wants to live longer than a week?
Or what if he wants the bike to live longer than a week?
CBR/ZXR250RR's are the ones you want, the GSXR 250 isn’t that well made, the bigger (600+) ones are very nice though!
Naked bikes are the best you can get though, other people will say nasty thing about them but they don’t know what there talking about, plastic bin lids all over the place trying to be aerodynamic! The Brittan didn’t need them to piss all over the other toothpaste tubes on wheels on the track did it?
Mmmm, Moto Morini Corsaro......

Just taking the piss, Had a CBRRRRRRRR good little bike, very rideable but the black ones disappear on the road and I found them too hard for long distance riding (300+ Ks) Quick but Ok, even around town.

Scorpygirl
30th August 2005, 21:30
Welcome, welcome!! :spudflip:

Can't really comment on the best bike for you, but just make sure that you can get both feet firmly on the ground - on tippy-toes is not the best, especially on uneven ground.

For me at 4 feet 11 inches (1.50 m) on a good day, I did not have many options available, so the Virago was the best for me. The Virago has a low seat and I could easily get my feet down. They also have a nice power delivery and are fairly forgiving from a handling point of view. But its horses for courses and I don't have a lot of options - I could never ride a sportsbike even if I wanted to as the Good Lord gave me ducks disease :violin:

Scorpygirl

Vilicus
30th August 2005, 21:32
thank you all for your fast response and valuable advices!

i am just wondering is there a difference between a "road bike"(i mean those you can fully sit up to ride it, called cruisers?) and a sport bike? (like a Honda cBR250rr)?which one is better to start with?

i've been riding a suzuki GSX 250 for a short while (mainly in a foodtown car park when no one was looking), that scared the shit out of me, but it became one of the most memorable events in my life! :yawn:

Big Dave
30th August 2005, 21:36
My favourite 250 is the Honda VTR. A great all rounder that will ride sports, handle a longer haul or commute quite comfortably. Nice looking wee thing too. (hows that for kiwispeak!)

crashe
30th August 2005, 21:37

i am just wondering is there a difference between a "road bike"(i mean those you can fully sit up to ride it, called cruisers?) and a sport bike? (like a Honda cBR250rr)?which one is better to start with?

i've been riding a suzuki GSX 250 for a short while (mainly in a foodtown car park when no one was looking), that scared the shit out of me, but it became one of the most memorable events in my life! :yawn:

Depends on what style of bike you really like..

But go around a few of the bike shops and sit on all the 250ccs in the shop.
Sit on the cruisers and also the sportsbikes...
see which one suits you.. that you find comfy.

I see sportsbikes for those that like the speed.....
Cruisers are for those that like the laid back look...

Scorpygirl
30th August 2005, 21:46
Depends on what style of bike you really like..

But go around a few of the bike shops and sit on all the 250ccs in the shop.
Sit on the cruisers and also the sportsbikes...
see which one suits you.. that you find comfy.

I see sportsbikes for those that like the speed.....
Cruisers are for those that like the laid back look...

Totally agree with you Crashe. Go around the bike shops and try them out. :ride:

Scorpygirl

gamgee
30th August 2005, 22:40

if a gsx scared you then you should defintely be starting on something more sedate like a suzuki gn250, a yamaha sr250 or any of the other single cylinder 250's that are a bit slower (but more reliable)

Beemer
30th August 2005, 23:29

For a start, if you are looking for a mortorcycle, you should go for a Harley, apparently they bear a striking resemblance to a block of mortar!

Whoever told you that sports bikes can be quite uncomfortable to ride under legal speeds was talking crap - do you think anyone would ride them if they were that bad?

For a start, how tall are you - that will be a determining factor with regards to what bike would suit you. No point directing you at something like a FXR150 if you are 6'6". I'm 5'1" and I've mostly ridden sports bikes - they aren't all really tall and with most of them they can be adjusted to suit shorter riders. You shouldn't be restricted to cruisers, although they may be what you like once you try them. I reckon something like a GN250 may be good for you until you improve your skills and get used to riding. Once you have your full licence, you can move up to just about anything you like, within reason!

FROSTY
31st August 2005, 00:10
Dude gimme a yell. Im the proud owner of a VT250 spada.
really good compromise bike--sporty when ya want it to be -slim -feet flat on the ground. and easy to ride.
I could be convinced to part with it if ya grease my palm with gold

Vilicus
31st August 2005, 12:25
i am about 5'11", well built (personally think) 78kg.

enigma51
31st August 2005, 12:28
We dont believe in speeding on this site so please buy a 50 if you are worried about speed :rofl:

Sportbike can be a bit heavy on the joints but then again by a car if you want comfart!

suckingair
31st August 2005, 12:38
Dude, you really need to go and bug the bike shops and sit on them.. your the one that has to ride the sucker, so might as well feel comfortable on it.. asking 'what's a good bike..' is like asking a waiter 'what's good from the menu..' if the waiter doesn't like pork, he's not going to recommend it..

Good luck with your choice, tho.. and keep the shiny side up..

sels1
31st August 2005, 22:04
And there is the other option.....buy a 200-250 street legal trail bike. Fine for getting around town on. Will do the speed limit on the open road. And you can go off road and play in the dirt. And playing in the dirt is great for getting yr skills up - and dosnt hurt so much if you fall off!

Skunk
31st August 2005, 22:18
And there is the other option.....buy a 200-250 street legal trail bike. Fine for getting around town on. Will do the speed limit on the open road. And you can go off road and play in the dirt. And playing in the dirt is great for getting yr skills up - and dosnt hurt so much if you fall off!I was thinking the same thing - but have you ever tried telling someone that the 'coolest' thing isn't always the 'best' thing?
:yawn:

Skunk Control
4th September 2005, 21:41
I was thinking the same thing - but have you ever tried telling someone that the 'coolest' thing isn't always the 'best' thing?
:yawn:
What do you mean my trail bike is not the coolest thing, it's cooler than yours :rofl:

Vilicus
5th September 2005, 17:45
trail bikes ok for motorway or long time riding?

Skunk Control
6th September 2005, 19:02
trail bikes ok for motorway or long time riding?

I find my trail bike is fine on the motorway and it's great on narrow winding roads. It is a bit slow for overtaking and long distance riding (say Wgtn to HB) but overall it's not bad for a 250.

Ixion
6th September 2005, 19:09
I find my trail bike is fine on the motorway and it's great on narrow winding roads. It is a bit slow for overtaking and long distance riding (say Wgtn to HB) but overall it's not bad for a 250.
Only thing with trail bikes, they can't be too big (cos trying to haul a 650 up a cliff would be no fun). Which limits them a bit for long distance road work. But for a single bike all rounder (communter, weekend road rides, fun on the beach and bush ) I reckon a 350 traily (not a motocross, a proper trail bike) would be pretty near ideal. Not too costly to run, fast enough for a blat, and all the good off road stuff, and easy to punt around town. Shit, I'm talking myself into this- only Mrs Ixion to convince now

raster
6th September 2005, 19:19
I'm having trouble talking Mrs Raster to let me upgrade to a 650 Hornet or similar, don't think it will happen this month.