PDA

View Full Version : RD350LC Engine, "offers"

yuckfou
20th February 2014, 17:58
Decided to see if there is any interest in my rd350lc engine once again. Nearly removed it, just stuck on a couple of rounded screws..

If i cant get a decent price for it this time it will be stripped down and repaired. Though not really too sure what a decent price is for its current condition. I realise this is fairly rare so please no $100 offers

It's on trademe, not sure if i'm allowed to post a link but just search "RD350LC" and you will find it

Still after a swap for single or two cylinder engine complete with electrics, carbs, exhaust etc, possible cash your way..

Will update trademe with more pics once removed from frame

Cheers

FJRider
20th February 2014, 18:40
$5 AND a bag of chips is the going rate ... if they're keen ... $10 and two bags of chips.

Buying somebody else's issues has never been popular. Especially 2-stroke issues ...

yuckfou
20th February 2014, 19:52
I do like chips..

yuckfou
20th February 2014, 20:02
If they are really worth jack shit I would be keen on buying a spare.. If anyone's reading this with one they might like to part with

RS2000
20th February 2014, 23:38
If they are really worth jack shit I would be keen on buying a spare.. If anyone's reading this with one they might like to part with

You have asked before and have advertised it on trade-me before, whatever the bidding takes it to is what it's worth mate.
It looks in a terrible state and needs a complete rebuild, I think your reserve was something like $1100.00 last time, you'd be lucky to get close to half that, best way if you really want to sell it is put a realistic reserve on it and people may be encouraged to bid?

yuckfou
21st February 2014, 07:39
Yeah I hear that. Its tough for me to part with as its not easy to find anything for a replacement. I would prefer to rebuild it but that's a bit out of my skill range, and price range if I were to get someone else to do it. Might just crack it open and decide from there what to do. If I decide its not feasable I will sell at a reasonable price

HenryDorsetCase
21st February 2014, 08:27
So, its cosmetically terrible, it doesn't run and needs anything up to and including a full rebuild?

$200 cash money. and a bag of chips and a chocolate fish.

iranana
21st February 2014, 08:30
Is that a crow bar welded to the kickstarter? To be honest with you, it's maybe worth a couple/few hundred bucks (in my opinion anyway). Doesn't run well, no idea what the crank is like and what state the pistons/bored are in. A complete rebuild on an RD engine will generally cost around $1,500 (crank parts cost about $400, labour is a couple of hundred on top of that, a few hundred to have the cylinders bored, a couple of hundred for pistons... seals, bearings, gaskets, paint etc... all adds up)

yuckfou
21st February 2014, 10:41
Its something off an old car engine I had. Figured it would probably be worth around 300 on a good day. I thought maybe i could half pie the rebuild, leave crank as is, replace water pump seal and bearing, pistons and rebuild carbs. Assuming that would get it running ok, for how long is anyones guess. Its on a toy so doesn't get used very much, though when it does it gets pretty well thrashed. Should know by next week whether its getting slightly fixed or sold..

HenryDorsetCase
21st February 2014, 11:38
Ive often thought about an RZ350 motor (with one of those 434cc Cheetah(?) kits) in the VFR400 rolling chassis I have. Then I think about the minimum ten grand it would cost me and go back to the drawing board.

Grumph
21st February 2014, 13:18
Its something off an old car engine I had. Figured it would probably be worth around 300 on a good day. I thought maybe i could half pie the rebuild, leave crank as is, replace water pump seal and bearing, pistons and rebuild carbs. Assuming that would get it running ok, for how long is anyones guess. Its on a toy so doesn't get used very much, though when it does it gets pretty well thrashed. Should know by next week whether its getting slightly fixed or sold..

Don't bloody touch it !! You open it up without knowing what you're doing and you'll halve the value.

As is it's probably worth between $250 and $400 depending on how much the buyer wants it. Get realistic.

yuckfou
21st February 2014, 13:30
How hard can it be? If I follow service manual.. Is there more to it than im thinking or something? Read around forums a bit and people generally seem to think they're a piece of piss to work on

RS2000
21st February 2014, 17:44
It's been all good advice and accurate cost's the guys have given you so far on this thread and I agree probably worth between 2 and 4 hundred.
Don't try to do a half job rebuild, just had a good crank rebuilt at $600 and that was supplying the conrods, if the pins are woren then you need a new crank as Yamaha no longer make the crank centers and it's all 1 piece, You can replace it with RZ350 crank for about $800 but then another couple hundred to have it or the cases machined to make it fit, then there is what is the bore size? as they can only be bored so far, but I've paid $250 for a rebore and $300 for a piston kit, then the gearbox, if waters been getting in there for a while, you don't want any rust on the hardening of the gears etc as it weakens them, if they break on a roadbike at speed it could be very nasty!!

They are rare these days but I've paid close to $5000.00 for a full rebuild, that was a race engine so had to be top spec and best of everything, but still think you would not get much change from $1500-2k and that's the sort of price you'd get if it was rebuilt, it's really just a spare parts motor as it is, saying that I've put a bid on it, good luck with whatever you decide

Yamahardman
21st February 2014, 18:06
rebuilds aint cheap.
Ive got most of my shit for my rd, just have to get my arse into gear, and put it together.

wossner forged pistons
wossner forged conrods
genuine yamaha crank pins
fag main bearings

Im a engineer with mechanic friends, and i got all of it way cheaper than retail, but its still expensive as fuck...

iranana
21st February 2014, 22:12
How hard can it be? If I follow service manual.. Is there more to it than im thinking or something? Read around forums a bit and people generally seem to think they're a piece of piss to work on

Not necessarily that hard to disassemble - just take heaps of photos, make notes, label baggies and you'd be fine. But some things just can't be done yourself unless you really know what you're doing. The cranks the big one - they're pressed together, and parts aren't cheap... can't skimp out on the crank, at this age, they need some love, especially if mileage is high... Someone once told me that most RD cranks are only really good for 30,000 miles(fish). After that they should be rebuilt... depends on few things, of course.

yuckfou
22nd February 2014, 18:28
Cheers for the advice guys. I'm really torn about what to do with it as I can't seem to find a decent priced dirt bike engine to replace it with. Being on a sidewinder it has to be small and light so as not to unbalance it too much. Only engines you really come across seem to be 4 cylinder road bikes, which I think would be physically too big and maybe lack the torque to pull a heavier frame

As for the mileage its been attached to said sidewinder for many many years, not sure what mileage it would've had in the first place but I can't see it having done that many km's since

gammaguy
22nd February 2014, 18:47
fucks sakes

its a 2T

its light

its powerful

rebuild it and enjoy,they arent making them anymore,but theres parts for them freely available

either that sell it as is and let someone who appreciates it have it to do something useful with

dont pull it apart and then try and sell it,you will be lucky to get a hundy for it,and most punters these days have no idea what they are anyway