PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement

Smorg
31st August 2005, 12:57
Well the time has come for me to replace my clutch as it has taken to slipping at the most inconvinent times and scaring the sh*# outta me under hard accerleration and sometimes even at high speed.

Anyway yesterday i had some free time so i had a little hunt around to get some quotes from a few places, the first being spectrum on barrys point road who quoted $200-250 all up including labour and GST which in my small amount of experience i thought sounded pretty reasonable and they have always been pretty good to me replacing bits and pieces for free on ocassion.

However just to be sure i went 500m down the road to cyclespot and spoke to the head mechanic there and he said it would at the very least be about $500!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oi-grr:

What should i be paying for a clutch replacement including gaskets and all the rest of it? And how can cyclespot justify an extra $250?? :hitcher: :hitcher:

HDTboy
31st August 2005, 13:03
Cyclespot justify it by being a Honda franchise. Personally I'd do it myself, but if you're not up for that then spectrum would be the go, did you ask Cycletreads? Kerry at Motohaus is a good bloke too

vifferman
31st August 2005, 13:05
And how can cyclespot justify an extra $250?? :hitcher: :hitcher:
Easy. They're [insert expletives and epithets here]!! :yes:
They don't care about customer service, just making money.

F5 Dave
31st August 2005, 13:05
Well we did Jim2s CBR (it didn’t quite need the plates replacing but we took them all out & played around in there). That part of the job took an hour, but we had the fairings off already, not that that takes ages, it’s pretty simple with a rattle gun to undo the hub (think that was the CBR, brain fading between bikes).

Add oil & filter you may as well change while you are there, if it is slipping chances are the oil is contaminated.

The difference in parts may be genuine plates vs. aftermarket.

But I think you’ve answered your question, take it to the first place. Esp if you have been happy with thier work previously.

Gixxer 4 ever
31st August 2005, 13:10
Supply and demand. That is why you got another quote. :clap: $250.00 is a good price so get it done. You could do it yourself but you need some experience and the TOOLS. I do not see why you are concerned about the extra $250.00. You didn't pay them and they can charge what they like so look around and publish here. The best shops with the best prices will get da work. :psst: Good on you.

Smorg
31st August 2005, 13:16
ive got the tools not the experience otherwise i'd give it ago but seeing as its my only mode of transport i'd probably be better off leaving it in the hands of the experts i think

Motu
31st August 2005, 13:25
You most likely got an estimate and not a quote - nobody sticks their neck out in this game with a firm quote unless they generously overquote.You need a written estimate (MTA form) with parts,labour,GST and any other charges itemised.They need to stick within 10% of the estimate unless you approve any additional charges.Unless you have it written down it's just hot air that can be misenterpruted any way we like....

vifferman
31st August 2005, 13:29
You most likely got an estimate and not a quote - nobody sticks their neck out in this game with a firm quote unless they generously overquote.
But even so, the final cost will end up being about that order of magnitude, with Spectrum cheaper than 'the other outfit'. If you're going to have it done, go to Kerry at Motohaus, or Spectrum. Don't go to those rip-off merchants.

Motu
31st August 2005, 13:36
But even so, the final cost will end up being about that order of magnitude, with Spectrum cheaper than 'the other outfit'. If you're going to have it done, go to Kerry at Motohaus, or Spectrum. Don't go to those rip-off merchants.

And by having a written estimate,he will know where the difference in price comes from,and question as to why.As mentioned before it's possibly the genuine Honda plates,sometimes genuine parts are worth the extra,sometimes aftermarket are better than stock.Play with a full deck....

TLDV8
31st August 2005, 13:37
ive got the tools not the experience otherwise i'd give it ago but seeing as its my only mode of transport i'd probably be better off leaving it in the hands of the experts i think

It shouldn't be any harder than this http://imageevent.com/tldv8/tlsclutch if it is a conventional multi spring unit..bike on side stand (so the oil goes to the other side of the engine ) remove the pressure plate and old plates,install the new ones after soaking them in oil (if it is a wet clutch) reinstall springs,pressure plate and side cover...some kits come with new springs also...of course it never hurts to take a look before ordering new parts,depending on the type of clutch activator ?,sometimes lack of clearance there can stop the plates seating properly.?

BNZ
31st August 2005, 13:39
What should i be paying for a clutch replacement including gaskets and all the rest of it? And how can cyclespot justify an extra $250?? :hitcher: :hitcher:

Because the real name is SWINDLESPOT.

Stick with the boys at Spectrum and you will be very happy. And if you pick your bike up on a friday arvo make sure you take them a 6 pack - it will pay off!

vifferman
31st August 2005, 13:39
Play with a full deck....
Can't do that.

There's a few cards missing, just the odd Joker and maybe a 3 or 4 and two 7s.

Two Smoker
31st August 2005, 17:43
Well the time has come for me to replace my clutch as it has taken to slipping at the most inconvinent times and scaring the sh*# outta me under hard accerleration and sometimes even at high speed.

An how is a slipping clutch scaring the fuck out of you???

Smorg
31st August 2005, 21:59

Its not............i said shit, thanks for being so helpfull

Motu
31st August 2005, 22:04
Good point - getting your shit all scared out can be a good thing....having your fuck all scared out is a no no.....

Smorg
31st August 2005, 22:05

dont know about you mate but i tend to get a bit scared when i think about how much somethings going to cost me everytime my bike makes some noise im not used to but hey if your so loaded and lil things like that don't bother you maybe you could pay for it??? :niceone: