PDA

View Full Version : Yet another newbie

mitsievo
31st August 2005, 13:13
Hey all,
I'm new to everything here, I've never owned a bike and only ridden one like three times lol.
Anyway I'm looking at getting my 1st bike, I have access to around $1000 to $1500, and just wandering what people would advise me to get based as i have little to no experience.
Also probly a dumb question but i dont know the answer, do I have to have a bike to sit my learners lol?

DemonWolf
31st August 2005, 13:26
Welcome to KB mitsievo... I'm sure a few of the peeps here will point you in the right direction... =)

CPB
31st August 2005, 13:40
:Punk: Welcome mitsievo...been a while since I sat my learners, but back then you sat a basic handling course, bikes provided, and answered some written oral questions..heaps of threads on this site with appropriate links, do a search for 'licence' and your bound to find what you're after - same goes for 'first bike' ...

Jonty
31st August 2005, 13:41
Hey all,
I'm new to everything here, I've never owned a bike and only ridden one like three times lol.
Anyway I'm looking at getting my 1st bike, I have access to around $1000 to $1500, and just wandering what people would advise me to get based as i have little to no experience.
Also probly a dumb question but i dont know the answer, do I have to have a bike to sit my learners lol?

Welcome to the site. There are heaps of threads here about getting your licence and what bikes are available for learners. But quickly, no you don't need a bike to do your learners, you can hire one from the Basic Handling Course instructor and then sit your theory. For $1K to 1.5K you should look at a GN250, but remeber you should look to spend $1000 on gear alone.

Good luck

crashe
31st August 2005, 14:07
Welcome to the site.

Make sure that you have money to buy a new helmet, a decent set of gloves, some decent boots and jacket.

Look on Trade Me for the gloves, jacket and bike pants and boots, as they do go quite cheap on there.

Buy a GN250 as they are apparently really great for a learner rider and they dont go too fast. They are also really cheap to buy.

Go get your learners and then ride safe when you get the bike...
take to bike up to a empty car park and practise riding around there until you feel a bit more confident to take it out on the roads.

There is another KBer that lives down your way.... who may be able to help you out... re teaching you to ride safely.
(can't think of their name at the moment)

TerminalAddict
31st August 2005, 15:53
crashe is right.
I've just finished gearing up.
I bought most of my stuff from a dude called madmax5 on trademe.

I spent a little over $700 for helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots.
All brand new, all leather (except for the helmet :) which is polymer (sp?) )

Rashika
31st August 2005, 16:11
Welcome mitsievo!
Another in Rangiora....whats with that place?
Now sooner or later Kickaha (from rangiora as well) will start giving you shit...just ignore him (difficult but not totally impossible), thats what i try to do :Punk:

As for the bike, yep the GN is a good basic bike...very forgiving of learners mistakes ;)
And ditto to what all the others have said about getting good helmet etc.
Very important to save skin and head, difficult to replace

again...welcome from another cantab in chch

froggyfrenchman
31st August 2005, 16:16
welcome. a good bike to start on is the suzuki gn250. there will be people on the site thatll disagree, dnt listen to them. its the only good learner in the world

SDU
31st August 2005, 16:32
Hey Welcome to the site. Good to have another sth islander joining the ranks.
Good luck with sitting your learners and finding your first bike.
As already said a GN250 is a good starter and you can get a reasonable older one for around $750.00-$900.00 easy, been awhile since I looked. Where you live even a older road legal trail bike (XT/DR250...) would be good as you can also take it around the river areas for practise on different surfaces & skills.
Go around all the local bike shops first and get an idea of what bikes and gear is worth before buying second hand but buy a NEW helmet. Check out bikepoint for the locations off different shops & for the prices of bikes. Take a mate who knows a bit about bikes when looking.
Cheers
SDU

mitsievo
31st August 2005, 16:36
woh lots of posts already lol
usaully i have to wait like two days on other forums for a response, i like this place already!
so i should start lookin for a gn250, were abouts would i pick up one of those lol?
Cheers for the warm welcome too

GR81
31st August 2005, 16:41
GN250 is always a winner for a learners bike.

My first bike was an '82 Yamaha TT250

Sparky Bills
31st August 2005, 16:46
Welcome.
Good luck on the bike thingy.

John
31st August 2005, 16:53
bikes are overated you should get a evo 3 and like tint it lower it and stuff - would be cool as.

Welcome, dont get a bike - bikes are gheyyyyyyyyy.

mitsievo
1st September 2005, 13:12
orh yea um my name is my email adress that i made up when i was like 14 lol, and i couldnt be botherd thinkin of a new name, so yea lol

vfrboy
3rd September 2005, 10:41
Good to see another cantab, I'm just up the road in Kaiapoi.
Have a look through buy-sell for a bike, Yamaha also make a bike similar to the GN called the SR250. Just make sure you take someone knowledgable with you when you have a look at it, don't wanna get ripped.

Good luck searching.

Skunk Control
4th September 2005, 22:02
Welcome to KB :ride:

Skunk
4th September 2005, 22:17
Welcome.

Good place to start looking is bikepoint (http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?Make=SUZUKI&Model=GN250&Location=20168&PriceFrom=-1&PriceTo=-1&SearchMethod=quicksearch&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz) As you can see they are cheap for their age.

Now try your nearest bike shops and trade and exchange papers for an affordable one. Take someone who knows bikes, someone on this site may offer to help you.

New helmet, second hand boots, jacket, gloves - nothing less. :hitcher:

nudemetalz
23rd September 2005, 16:01
Hi there

I sat my learners last October. You have to do a basic motorcycle handling skills test first. When you pass that, you take your certificate along to the licensing place and sit a theory test (35 written questions). I rented a bike from the place I sat my basic handling skills through. Technically you're not supposed to turn up riding a bike if you haven't got a license.

Pancakes
23rd September 2005, 16:20
Hey and welcome. There's a good looking GN on this site for sale by Eugenomes (sp?) $1800. Don't know if it's still available or them personally but that new and a GN can't be too wrong. You'll be bored with it after a while but you will be with any 250 for 18 months anyway so gey a cheap one that is easy to learn on and will hold its value. Good luck with everything.

herp
23rd September 2005, 16:23
I think that one was sold a while ago. Great deal that was, wish she advertised it a bit later on cos I woulda snapped it up in a flash.