PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening up the rear shocks on a GSX250

Aaron
31st August 2005, 13:29
I'm a little heavier than the rated weight for my GSX250, (think it's around 60-70 kgs, and I'm 97), so think it's sagging a bit in the back end. I rang Sportzone and asked about hardening up the rear end but they said the GSX250 doesn't have an adjustable rear shock.

I'm just investigating possibilities at the moment, but has anyone had experience with putting adjustable rear shocks in bikes that otherwise wouldn't have them?

I do intend on upgrading, (GSXR750) in about a year, but would like to keep the 250, for communting to the gym and things where it perhaps wouldn't be as likely to be stolen. Thus the operation would be done with long term riding as a goal.

Any thoughts?

vifferman
31st August 2005, 13:36
Any thoughts?
Yeah. I have thoughts quite a lot.
Sometimes I think about getting a new job, sometimes I think about sex, sometimes I think about bikes, or food, or a myriad of other things. Right now, I'm thinking about how much my neck and shoulder hurt and how I'd rather be at home except the boys are there and they're probably fighting over the computer or moaning about how the food that's in the cupboards and fridge doesn't count as 'real food' but what do they know anyway but another reason I don't want to go home is that the new carpet stinks only no-one except me thinks so but you'd think that if you've spent $8K on new floor coverings they'd at least smell nice but that smell wakes me up at night it gets right up my nose it does and now my elbow's started hurting as well but not as much as my neck hey I think I need to go peee now so I'd better stop telling you what I think....

Sniper
31st August 2005, 13:40
sometimes I think about sex
I usually think about sex, and then work and then back to sex. The problem is when the boss rings while Im thinking about sex and I ask him what type of undies he has on.

I usually stop thinking there

Jonty
31st August 2005, 13:44
I usually think about sex, and then work and then back to sex. The problem is when the boss rings while Im thinking about sex and I ask him what type of undies he has on.

Well this thread was hijacked early in the piece :rofl:

enigma51
31st August 2005, 13:45
Have you though about loosing some weight yet :rofl:

enigma51
31st August 2005, 13:47
I thinking about sex all the time as well!

Smorg
31st August 2005, 14:13
Sometimes I think about getting a new job, sometimes I think about sex, sometimes I think about bikes, or food, or a myriad of other things. Right now, I'm thinking about how much my neck and shoulder hurt and how I'd rather be at home except the boys are there and they're probably fighting over the computer or moaning about how the food that's in the cupboards and fridge doesn't count as 'real food' but what do they know anyway but another reason I don't want to go home is that the new carpet stinks only no-one except me thinks so but you'd think that if you've spent $8K on new floor coverings they'd at least smell nice but that smell wakes me up at night it gets right up my nose it does and now my elbow's started hurting as well but not as much as my neck hey I think I need to go peee now so I'd better stop telling you what I think....

I bought a phone that stinks does that count?
My carpet also stinks but thats coz my ferret pissed on it

Lou Girardin
31st August 2005, 14:17
Back to the shocks.
Shurely they have preload adjustment.

vifferman
31st August 2005, 14:18
I'm just investigating possibilities at the moment, but has anyone had experience with putting adjustable rear shocks in bikes that otherwise wouldn't have them?
Provided you could get an aftermarket one that fitted, or get one from another bike (from/for another model that has very similar shock dimensions), it might be worth it, depending on what it costs and how much it's worth to you. However, given that you plan on upgrading anyway, it's probably just wasted money.

DemonWolf
31st August 2005, 14:19
bahahaaa... thats the fastest hijacking of a thread I've seen.. (today!).

kerryg
31st August 2005, 14:29

Vifferman...you need a hobby..or a proper job :rofl:

kerryg
31st August 2005, 14:38
Provided you could get an aftermarket one that fitted, or get one from another bike (from/for another model that has very similar shock dimensions), it might be worth it, depending on what it costs and how much it's worth to you. However, given that you plan on upgrading anyway, it's probably just wasted money.

There should be some pre-load adjustment possible as Lou said. If there's not, or if you can't stiffen it up enough :devil2: even with the maximum pre-load, is it perhaps an option to source a stiffer coil spring from a spring maker or get the present one re-tempered or even, like you can do with forks, shorten the spring (short springs are stiffer than long springs)and fit a spacer (like a short piece of pipe)? Dunno about the practicalities....might be talking shite of course....might end up with a pogo-stick.....

Aaron
31st August 2005, 14:39
Thanks Vifferman.

Have you though about loosing some weight yet :rofl:
I'm seriously into weight lifting, so no, I only think about gaining weight.

vifferman
31st August 2005, 14:43
Vifferman...you need a hobby..or a proper job :rofl:
I've got several hobbies, chiefest of which are sex and motorbicycling, and cheapest of which is daydreaming. (I was going to say "wanking" but that's not cheap in terms of expenditure of energy and whatnot...)
Yes, I need a proper job.:yawn: I was seriously thinking about applying for one of those jobs at AMPS.
What makes things worse is I spent the last four days flat out doing stuff like plastering, painting, pulling up carpet, planing floors, screwing down loose floorboards, moving furniture, cleaning, etc. To come back to sitting at my desk all day writing crap no-one gives a rodent's rectum about is enough to make me look for the nearest bus to throw myself under...

clint640
31st August 2005, 15:12
Forgive me for being on topic, but:
I would try & find a stiffer spring, You may be able to buy them at a reas. cost, ask yer bike shop or measure it up & see if you can find one off a bigger bike @ the wreckers that will fit, look for one with bigger dia. wire. Then if you can open up the shock, put in some heavier oil to increase the damping.

Cheers
Clint

Sniper
31st August 2005, 15:14
I would try & find a stiffer spring, You may be able to buy them at a reas. cost, ask yer bike shop or measure it up & see if you can find one off a bigger bike @ the wreckers that will fit, look for one with bigger dia. wire. Then if you can open up the shock, put in some heavier oil to increase the damping.

Cheers
Clint

Argh a thread Hijacker, quite me harties. Get him before he injects sense into our society :spudflip:

John
31st August 2005, 15:18
another option - measure up the mounts/length for the rear shock and ask all the local wreckers if they have something that fits the bill - you might get lucky cheap !

kerryg
31st August 2005, 15:24
I've got several hobbies, chiefest of which are sex and motorbicycling, and cheapest of which is daydreaming. (I was going to say "wanking"

Sex? Sex as a hobby? Is there a club I can join....??? :eek: In my case if sex was my hobby I'd have to find another one, one that occupied more than 15 seconds of my time every second leap year :cry: ....which would partly explain why I spend so much farking time reading all the crap that people write here.

I empathise about the job. I am "fortunate" enough to be in a reasonably well-paid job but I would have, without any exaggeration at all, at most an hour's work in a day, sometimes literally none, and no way of generating more (it's a long complicated story). It's alright for a little whgile but try it for 2 years..I have to get out, it's driving me nuts. I'm turning into a bloody nervous wreck :wacko: :crazy: :eek5: :weird: . But moving from here will surely mean dropping to a fraction of what I now earn, IF I could even get an interview. I don't have 2 heads, or pick-my-nose-and-eat-it at interviews., or wear my underpants outside my trousers..I just don't get an interview. I get screened out before they've even seen me, chiefly (I believe) due to age..and secondly (this is really ironic) because I have held some reasonably semi-responsible jobs in the past and I am apparently "too big"' (no, not just my arse...or my old fella) for some positions I have applied for ...I'm bloody not though, so maybe it's just another way of saying I'm too farking old.... :crybaby:

This talk about NZ having the lowest employment rate in the OECD doesn't translate to work for me....

kerryg
31st August 2005, 15:27

Cheers
Clint

You are forgiven... :rolleyes:

clint640
31st August 2005, 16:14
another option - measure up the mounts/length for the rear shock and ask all the local wreckers if they have something that fits the bill - you might get lucky cheap !

Yup, cheap is good! but maybe get the advice of a suspension guru, just cos something has the same eye to eye dimensions & looks a bit heavier doesn't mean it will work. Different bikes have different linkage systems.

Cheers
Clint

hondacmx450
31st August 2005, 16:20
I'm a little heavier than the rated weight for my GSX250, (think it's around 60-70 kgs, and I'm 97), so think it's sagging a bit in the back end. I rang Sportzone and asked about hardening up the rear end but they said the GSX250 doesn't have an adjustable rear shock.

I do intend on upgrading, (GSXR750) in about a year, but would like to keep the 250, for communting to the gym and things where it perhaps wouldn't be as likely to be stolen. Thus the operation would be done with long term riding as a goal.

Any thoughts?
lose wait you fat bastard jokes 750 will fit done it and works good

hondacmx450
31st August 2005, 16:23

but you know cause you dreesed him that morrning

vifferman
31st August 2005, 16:23
I empathise about the job. I am "fortunate" enough to be in a reasonably well-paid job but I would have, without any exaggeration at all, at most an hour's work in a day, sometimes literally none, and no way of generating more (it's a long complicated story). It's alright for a little whgile but try it for 2 years..I have to get out, it's driving me nuts. I'm turning into a bloody nervous wreck :wacko: :crazy: :eek5: :weird: .
Yeah. Me too.
I don't have enough to do, and I really like being very busy.
And when I do have stuff to do, it's excruciatingly boring.
I've done some boring jobs in the past (scrub-cutting; fruit picking/packing; sorting, cleaning and examining (with a microscope) drill cores (that was one very, very, boring job), but this is really doing my head in. It pays OK, but a lot less than I'd be earning if I hadn't made a series of dumb career moves. Luckily my darling wife is paid much more than me, recognises my plight, and has "given permission" for me to find something I can enjoy, regardless of the salary.

kerryg
31st August 2005, 16:32
It pays OK, but a lot less than I'd be earning if I hadn't made a series of dumb career moves. Luckily my darling wife is paid much more than me, recognises my plight, and has "given permission" for me to find something I can enjoy, regardless of the salary.

Ditto on the dumb career moves..oh then was an ill-advised marriage or two...and a venture into self-employment...

Sounds like your missus is a find, better look after her ;)

Sniper
31st August 2005, 16:33
but you know cause you dreesed him that morrning

I have no idea what dreesed means? Is that retard speak or are you just drunk? When is morrning? You know, you really are an anal retentive jackass.