PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Sidi boots

SpankMe
31st August 2005, 13:53
I've had my Sidi's for more than a year and the left one started leaking a bit in the left one during hard rain, so Colemans sent them back to be tested (on the North shore apparently) and a week later I am told I will have a new pair to pick up tomorrow. :2thumbsup

Keystone19
31st August 2005, 13:55
Now that's interesting. Same exact thing happened to me about a month ago. Now have my brand new Sidi boots keeping my toes dry...

crashe
31st August 2005, 13:56
Brilliant mate.....
So did they say why they started to leak after all this time...?

bugjuice
31st August 2005, 14:01
bloody awesome.. gotta love Sidi..

enigma51
31st August 2005, 14:03
Wonder if they will replace mine cause they got wet and now they stink!

FzerozeroT
31st August 2005, 14:05
Me and Zapf were sitting in BP talking about our Sidi Vertebra's one day, he was complaining that his leak, I told him I use a bit of dubbin and mine don't, but turns out he bought the more expensive tepor version because they are waterproof :D

You ever sort that out Zapf?

Lou Girardin
31st August 2005, 14:40
Most distributors will replace leaky boots up to a year old. The trick is getting boots that don't leak.

vifferman
31st August 2005, 14:44
Most distributors will replace leaky boots up to a year old. The trick is getting boots that don't leak.
I dunno iffen mine leak. I've never put liquids in them. :whistle:

Badcat
31st August 2005, 15:17
yep - i have a pair of these - but the sole is coming away at the toe...
it's on both boots now - and irritating as it catches on carpet sometimes.
maybe i shouyld try and return them?
they are about 15 months old.
k

Wolf
31st August 2005, 15:36
My Sidis, the tabs on the zips snapped off. Fortunately I was able to find a couple of really small split rings and used them to attach a short length of light chain to the slide assembly of each boot - especially since I was able to do them up using a fingernail at the bottom edge of the slide but could not undo them as there is a lock mechanism in the zip that stops them sliding down by themselves. The release for the lock is inside the little metal loop that the tab is connected to and you have to pull on the tab to unlock the zip and allow it to move. The split rings do fine for releasing the lock mechanisms when I pull on the chain.

Other than that, I have no complaints - the boots have served me well waterproofing-wise and I'm almost at the point where I need to resole them (provided that does not screw the waterproofing.)

Lou Girardin
31st August 2005, 15:40
yep - i have a pair of these - but the sole is coming away at the toe...
it's on both boots now - and irritating as it catches on carpet sometimes.
maybe i shouyld try and return them?
they are about 15 months old.
k

Might be pushing your luck.

Ixion
31st August 2005, 19:54

GAITERS. You need gaiters! Non leaking boots are like an honest politician. Possible in theory but rara avis in terra.

Gaiters are the thing - $12 from your friendly local Army Surplus

Bonez
31st August 2005, 20:01
GAITERS. You need gaiters! Non leaking boots are like an honest politician. Possible in theory but rara avis in terra.

Gumboots, para rubber yellow pvc trousers and duct tape could be the go.....

Storm
31st August 2005, 20:12
and so effortlessly stylish too

Bonez
31st August 2005, 20:20
and so effortlessly stylish tooDoubles as a sauna- http://cankar.org/sauna/howto/howto.html

Storm
31st August 2005, 20:43
Its just a winner all round then :)

Bonez
1st September 2005, 08:50
Its just a winner all round then :)Yip and while we are on wet riding tips. Carry a roll of gladrap. Comes in very handy. Get a fellow biker or freindly passer-by to apply to leaky rider.

Lou Girardin
1st September 2005, 09:20

Alli-gaiters.

inlinefour
1st September 2005, 09:36
If my styl martins ever do that I'll have to check it out back where I brought them :woohoo:

Ixion
1st September 2005, 18:03
Gumboots, para rubber yellow pvc trousers and duct tape could be the go.....

Gumboots are OK, but you need the forestry sort. Only problem is that your feet sweat like mad, and then pong like mad.

Got the PVC overtrou (mine are green thou). Duct tape isn't very good , it never seems to hold together for more than a few hundred kilomtres and then gets tangled round everything.

Skunk Control
3rd September 2005, 09:15
My new Sidi boots are awesome :2thumbsup (and don't leak yet). Wouldn't buy another other brand of boot now, even if they do start to leak when they get older. Found that wearing Icebreaker socks made such a huge difference, feet get wet but not cold and socks dry really quick :woohoo:

dawnrazor
5th September 2005, 07:50
One of the zips went on my sidis and it was well over a year since i got them, motomail sent them back not expecting any joy. But the top blokes at sidi fixed them right up and said to bring them back if it happens to the other boot. Next time i need to get another set of boots, i'm not even looking at anyone else. Nice work guys.