PDA

View Full Version : zxr250 info wanted.

Turbo Bong
31st August 2005, 15:09
Yeah...My bros mate, at work reckons he might sell his bike, a zxr250a.
I dont know the dude but i was thinking about it.
Ive read so far that their shit bikes? Chain tensioner, folk seals.
But ive read you can modify the tensioner problem, How often must you replace the tensioner. When it starts to rattle?
What about the fork seals, how often must you replace those mothers.
Can you prevent the seals from busting in the first place?
How much would all this shit cost anyway?
Must know all, too make an informed decision.

Hmmmm, Buds are'nt dry yet. :doobey:

John
31st August 2005, 15:14
Not a shit bike, just need to adjust the tensioner every 10,000k or less, fork seals last for ever - wipe them down after a ride, this happens to all USD forks - its about how much you care for your bike - if the forks are rusted far up the stanction then it will need some muscle to polish out the rust - and in future the problem needs a better fix, if there is rust on the lower part dont worry - just crank up the preload and rebound thats how the ZXR's like it - my preload and rebound is on max the rear shocks are pretty crap on the ZXR's but can be rebuilt fairly cheaply.

BNZ
31st August 2005, 15:32
just crank up the preload and rebound thats how the ZXR's like it - my preload and rebound is on max the rear shocks are pretty crap on the ZXR's but can be rebuilt fairly cheaply.

If your an ellephant! I bought mine like that and wound it down to about 2/3. Made the bike a LOT nicer to ride, and stuck to the road a whole lot better.

John
31st August 2005, 15:34
If your an ellephant! I bought mine like that and wound it down to about 2/3. Made the bike a LOT nicer to ride, and stuck to the road a whole lot better.
an mouse that can corner like hes on tracks maybe.

Turbo Bong
31st August 2005, 17:22
Would you take a independent service inspector to a dealers to check a bike out?
Juuust wondering. Dont know who too trust these days.
Especially if you dont trust anyone at all.

Hmmm Buds are dry now. :2thumbsup

R6_kid
2nd September 2005, 22:11
not a shit bike by any means... unless you get one that hasnt been looked after. A new cam chain tensioner will cost around the $200 mark i think including work. Then its good for as long as you have the bike... unless you do 20,000km a year and have the bike for ever...

other than that this bike has proven to be a lot cheaper than the suzuki GF250's i had. How much is he wanting and how many km's has it done.

If you dont want to get it checked by a mechanic get someone from here that has been in the bike scene for a while. Its pretty easy to pick things up once you know what to look for.

Turbo Bong
3rd September 2005, 00:07
Sweeeet, cheers for that.

He wants around $3500 for it. Gunna have a look at it after work, cold.
Wof and rego. Well maintained, regular service. But its been dropped, he reckons the fairings abit rooted in some places. But its been welded back together.
What happens to the bike after you've dropped it? Besides the obvious.
Does it fuck the carbs up or something.
Can you get a sprocket that will give you more top end speed? What about a full engine rebuild. How much would all that cost. Including gearbox, and shocks.
What would be the best rotors.
Does it need a rev limiter, if so. what, and where would you buy.

Hmmm. :sherlock:

R6_kid
5th September 2005, 22:01
*He wants around $3500 for it.* - About average price, how many kms it done?

*What happens to the bike after you've dropped it?* - it gets damaged :rofl: ... depending on how bad, if its just a slide then scrapes normally, if you hit things hard enough, suchas the gear change or something you **could** do internal damage but unlikely. If the rims are straight, no frame damage (cracks in welding), forks are lined up and not leaking, then it should be sweet.

*Can you get a sprocket that will give you more top end speed?* - yes but only perhaps 5-10kmh on what it has already, however you will lose acceleration, alternately you can gain accleration and lose top end.

*What about a full engine rebuild.* - add another $2000, perhaps more if it actually needs parts... not worth it unless you know something is wrong, in which case it is probably cheaper just to buy a second hand engine.

*shocks.* - approx $300 to rebuild maybe more. Again probably cheaper to get a second hand one - however if you get it rebuilt by the right person they can set it up to your wieght.

*What would be the best rotors* - a guy on trademe does them cheap but some people have had problems with them being the wrong thickness or coming slightly warped. I havent had either problem.

*Does it need a rev limiter, if so. what, and where would you buy.* - its called your right wrist. These engines will take a complete thrashing before dying... to be honest unless you are a twat you wont need a rev limiter - i've hit red line (valve bouncing) maybe 4 or 5 times and everytime i was being a dick and not paying attention.

hope that helps

Turbo Bong
6th September 2005, 20:11
Cheers gareth dude!

Your information will be invaluable to many that may seek it. Now or in the future.
Unfortunately the dude sold his c-model on trademe two days ago.
Which means i'll have to get ripped by a dealers. Only because i WANT a bike now.
Cant be fucked waiting for a good deal to fall out of the sky. So i'll just take it like a man, and bite the bullet. Sux! :mad: Ive got 7k to play with.
The bike i want is going for 6k. Im buying in cash:crybaby:
But enough salking.
On the bright side, at least i'll have a bike! :Punk: even if i do get ripped off by a dealers. :crybaby:

R6_kid
7th September 2005, 12:57
My A model is nearly up for sale. Its got 46800km on the clock atm... just about to get a new chain and sprockets and an oil change. I have looked after it pretty well BUT i ride it like it is supposed to be ridden when im out on the open road (take that as you will). However im sure most people will tell you i've taken good care of this bike. Just sanding it down for a respray and some new decals (gloss black and chrome decals)... Will be looking for $4000ono but will go a fair bit down from that (i want $3500 minimum).

If you get the extra cash you can finish being finicky with tidying it up... black rear rim, respray tripple clamps + fork bottoms + calipers + maybe frame too. However i would suggest your money is better spent on GOOD protective gear.

AND yes i will deliver it to you if you hook me up with a ride to CHCH airport.

Turbo Bong
12th September 2005, 18:39
Sorry dude, ive been off line for a while. Already scored a machine just been riding all over the place ever since. Zxr250c bloody awesome bike man! :Punk: