PDA

View Full Version : Recommissioned Triumph Sprint will not start

Templar
27th February 2014, 15:13
Hi guys, hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to troubleshoot my bike. I think it is electrical, but not 100%.

I have a 2007 Sprint ST that has been parked since near the end of 2010 or start of 2011. I think in that time it has been on one trip to work and back (< 15km).

My car is in the shop so I thought I would get it back in action. I have had it on it's centre stand on a castored tray so all pressure has been off tyres/suspension. The battery is permanently attached to a battery doctor to keep it healthy and charged.

When I turn the key on, the bike comes to life as normal, light is on, the ecu goes through the software boot, all indications are everything is fine. The bike has an alarm on it that sounds like an old modem, and this does it's thing.

Now when I pull clutch in and press starter, there is a loud click, and then the bike seems to half reboot. Flashes the rev bar, some lights go off and then on again on dash (they do not like they are trying to display an error code), and the modem sound goes again.

If you wait for this to finish, you can try again and the cycle repeats - loud click - semi reboot. You cannot invoke the start before it is finished doing its reboot.

We have a multimeter and I have checked the battery, it is reporting good at 13+ volts. It drops to 12 when the ignition is on and momentarily to 11 when trying to start. The engine does not crank at all.

The click sounds like it is coming from near the batter but it is hard to tell because I need someone to help me start the bike. It's a two handed start procedure so hard to get my head down there and locate exactly the source of the noise.

I'm no auto electrician in any sense but could this be a starter/solenoid thing? I believe that is what is by the battery. Or googling I found this thread but this guy's horn didn't work and mine still does.
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/83859-starter-solenoid-just-clicks-but-wont-start.html

I am not sure how to test a relay, so any tips most welcome! I tried to follow the diagram in the first sticky to troubleshoot but got stuck at number 1 as I can't start the engine.

Trade_nancy
27th February 2014, 15:22
I'm no sparkie either - but as a sprint (ST955 and now GT) owner....I felt the need to try to make u feel better.
For me - the battery would be suspect immediately and I don't believe the good battery doctor has been able to keep the battery alive. The voltage drop would indicate to me - failure. Not enough V's to crank or do anything much else up including holding up the ecu and general circuits. I'd pull the batt out and load test it by putting a 12v auto bulb onto it - just with 2 pieces of wire - 1 to each pole of the batt and onto the bulb to illuminate as u check the voltage on the multimeter...shouldn't drop. I dunno the numbers - but think u need about 13.6v for startup. Beg borrow or buy another...I had batt probs with my old CB750 - it had to have >12 volts at crank time that's for sure...your bike will need more...rather than less than that.

Regards
Mark

buggerit
27th February 2014, 15:45
you havent payed her any attention for 3 years?:facepalm:, id say shes healed over:yes: