PDA

View Full Version : Importing bikes into NZ advice

scracha
31st August 2005, 21:59
I'm emigrating to NZ (Waikato) in a couple of months and am unsure whether taking my bike will be worth the hassle. I've had a quote to stick it in the back of the container with all my other stuff for a mere additional $200 (NZ).

Now the bike (1998 TDM 850, 32000Km) is worth about $5000 in the UK but someone told me they go for a lot more in New Zealand. Is this true? If so, could someone give me a rough price of how much I should expect to pay for a similar bike (I really like the TDM).

Finally, if anyone has experience or prices on clearing customs, getting it WOF'd and more worryingly, getting it through MAF, then I'd appreciate some advice.

Blackbird
31st August 2005, 22:05
Hope this thread is of help - the author brought his bike in from Northamptonshire. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8968&highlight=importing+bikes. Check s/h bike prices on www.bikepoint.co.nz.

I'm in the Waikato - where abouts are you heading for?

If you need a friendly face or a hand when you arrive, let us know.

Cheers

Geoff

Warr
1st September 2005, 00:00
I'm emigrating to NZ (Waikato) in a couple of months and am unsure whether taking my bike will be worth the hassle. I've had a quote to stick it in the back of the container with all my other stuff for a mere additional $200 (NZ).

Now the bike (1998 TDM 850, 32000Km) is worth about $5000 in the UK but someone told me they go for a lot more in New Zealand. Is this true? If so, could someone give me a rough price of how much I should expect to pay for a similar bike (I really like the TDM).

Finally, if anyone has experience or prices on clearing customs, getting it WOF'd and more worryingly, getting it through MAF, then I'd appreciate some advice.
Do you have a Diversion ?? How bout I send you a couple of $'s and bring one over for me. Live in the Waikato here. Where are you heading for ?

Fordy
1st September 2005, 02:46
Hi, mine's getting crated next week. The UK dealers are too full of 2nd hand bike to want to take it off me, plus it wasn't much for the crate and it takes up the room of a single divan....so I chucked out a single divan!

Details of what to do here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/index.html) which is as clear as mud so flowchart here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-13-europe.html#lc).

Was mc manufactured after 1 Oct 2002? No, then have proof of ownership? Yes, the V5, and its ok to ship! Easy!

Was a bit more fraught getting agreement for my bike (i need to prove compliance) that the plate on my bike and the V5 would satisfy, but thanks to Barry at VINZ that's now sorted. So I'd suggest you contact VINZ (http://www.vinz.co.nz/), explain your understanding, describe what documents you have and get agreement before you get there if possible to avoid problems. You can get it certified, WOF'd and reggistered there.

If you've had it over a year you don't pay any gst, so customs will want to see your V5. MAF is the next hurdle for me,

All used vehicles (and any accompanying accessories) entering New Zealand must be inspected externally and internally, and the vehicles found to be free of the following:

animals, insects (including egg masses of gypsy moth (Lymantria dispar) and any other species of Lymantriidae) or other invertebrates of any life stage, or organic material of animal origin (including blood, bones, fibre, meat, secretions, excretions, etc);
plants or plant products (including fruit, seeds, leaves, twigs, bark, sawdust or other organic material); and
soil or water.

Inspection of used vehicles for export to New Zealand may be undertaken prior to shipping from the final port of export, i.e., pre-shipment. Alternatively, the inspection of used vehicles may be undertaken on arrival in New Zealand.

I intend to get it as clean and shiny as possible, even the nasty oily bits, and wash the wheels in Jeyes fluid. Hopefully that'll do the trick

Big Dave
1st September 2005, 11:04
I brought my tbird over with me.

MAF is no prob if the bike is spotlessly clean. Customs is the pain. They automatically assume that you are bringing the bike here to sell it and try really hard to extract GST.

Have every piece of paper pertaining to the bike with you - rego, receipts, service history - because they get hyper about you proving it's your personal transport and not a profit making venture.

You have to sign a stat dec stating that you will keep the bike for 2 years or pay the GST should you sell it.

It's no dramas really - just a 'fiddly' process.

I've never noticed a TDM on the road here.

scracha
2nd September 2005, 18:00
I brought my tbird over with me.

MAF is no prob if the bike is spotlessly clean. Customs is the pain. They automatically assume that you are bringing the bike here to sell it and try really hard to extract GST.

It's no dramas really - just a 'fiddly' process.

I've never noticed a TDM on the road here.

Dagnamit. I'll have owned the bike for 10.5 months when I enter the country so I'll have to pay the GST. Think it'll only be a $300 for that though as they take off depreciation. Not quite sure how they value it though as it as a private purchase.

No TDM's on the road? You could be right. Bikepoint only have a couple of Mark 1's for sale (at a hell of a lot more than my Mark 2's worth). Surprising considering the distances peeps travel in NZ and also the sheer amount of unsealed roads.a

I'll get my finger out my Rse and start contacting the various departments.

I'll be working in Te Aroha for at least 3 months and then who knows where.

Must change my sig as no longer got the divvy

Smoggie
3rd September 2005, 08:08
Brought my PanEuropean over this year. Need to remember to bring your receipts over with you, do not put them in with cargo being shipped. Photocopy everything. When taking the bike to be crated, get someone to inspect the bike with you, making a comment that there are no dents, scrapes etc. Mine had been dropped by the movers on arrival here, and luckily I could prove it was done by them, and so they had to make good the repair..

Big Dave
3rd September 2005, 11:34
Dagnamit.

another piece of advice - they don't say that here.