PDA

View Full Version : Use of Emergency Vehicle Lanes

ManDownUnder
1st September 2005, 09:18
If a cop or Ambo is using one - do they need lights and/or sirens on?

I errr 'know of someone' that was kind of lane splitting this morning on the way to work (or at least that's where I ASSUME they were going - not knowing them or anything about them....)

anyway - a bike cop did a shifty move cut over two lanes into the EV lane and slipped quietly up settle in 3 cars behind <STRIKE>me</STRIKE><S style="text-line-through: double">him</S> them.

If no lights and sirens are in use - are they allowed to do that?

enigma51
1st September 2005, 09:25
Well the question is more are you going to give him/her a ticket? Plus I take it they can always say that they were checking on some car or something.

ManDownUnder
1st September 2005, 09:31
Well the question is more are you going to give him/her a ticket? Plus I take it they can always say that they were checking on some car or something.

No tickets were issued (or considered to be honest), but it did make me wonder - if I was stopped and ticketed... what is the legality/status of the manoeuvre sed to issue it?

Which THEN raised the question about the use of the EV lanes....

It was top of mind anyway when I crossed the causeway heading into Waterview from out west - I see they've put an EV lane in there... and I was hoping it'd be something sensible - like a bus lane...

Pancakes
1st September 2005, 09:54
I got stopped for splittig on the causeway a few weeks back and the cop reconed that the new lanes are going to be bus lanes that bikes could use, only time will tell though eh?

spudchucka
1st September 2005, 12:59
We don't even have traffic lights down my way, let alone motorways and EV lanes. Can't answer your question sorry.

Lou Girardin
1st September 2005, 13:08
Normally the cops actions don't affect the legality of a ticket he issues. But may well cause some embarrassment if he were to be reported.
But it was an EMERGENCY vehicle lane after all.

ManDownUnder
1st September 2005, 13:26
But it was an EMERGENCY vehicle lane after all.

Which raises the heart of the question... can EV's (Police, Fire Ambo's) use the EV lane when it is not an emergency?

Can they use that lane if their lights and/or sirens are not turned on.

That's all I want to know... (for curiousity's sake - and no other)

HHEEELLLPPPP!

spudchucka
1st September 2005, 13:34
I can't say for sure but I feel that they would be permitted to use the lane for any day to day business matters, regardless of whether it is an emergency or not. From a police perspective there are heaps of jobs that aren't full on emergencies but still require a degree of urgency.

Riff Raff
1st September 2005, 14:38
Which raises the heart of the question... can EV's (Police, Fire Ambo's) use the EV lane when it is not an emergency?
If we're not going lights and sirens we have to travel just like everyone else on the road.

Lou Girardin
1st September 2005, 15:32
From a police perspective there are heaps of jobs that aren't full on emergencies but still require a degree of urgency.

I I I can't resist, must resist, must........................ oh bugger it!

DONUT RUN.

ManDownUnder
1st September 2005, 15:45
DONUT RUN.

"... and in conclusion your Honour - it seems those 2 words were enough to tip the nomally mild mannered spudchucka into the frenzy culminating in Lou's decapitated body being devoured by the sharks in the main tank at Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World"

spudchucka
1st September 2005, 15:54
I I I can't resist, must resist, must........................ oh bugger it!

DONUT RUN.
Was that the best you could do? You might just as well have stooped to the WINJA level and made a pig joke.

spudchucka
1st September 2005, 15:55
"... and in conclusion your Honour - it seems those 2 words were enough to tip the nomally mild mannered spudchucka into the frenzy culminating in Lou's decapitated body being devoured by the sharks in the main tank at Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World"
Haven't you been reading the animal cruelty thread? There is no way I'd deliberately set out to poison a shark.

ManDownUnder
1st September 2005, 15:57
Haven't you been reading the animal cruelty thread? There is no way I'd deliberately set out to poison a shark.

:rofl: good comeback - but don't make me take sides - this fence is comfy

Lou Girardin
1st September 2005, 16:46

They wouldn't touch me. I used to sell Real Estate - professional courtesy.

Pancakes
2nd September 2005, 12:07
I'll just go to the other side of the fence to gain some perspective, aaaahhh!

Don't know if they're ALLOWED to use those lanes but if I's a cop or ambo etc I'd feel like I was wasting time and money sitting in the traffic when I could go and clean blood off/fill up the water tanks of my vehicle. Most emergency staff would get come down on hard for hooning without a good reason so they're pretty likely to just plug on down to base or wherever the next stop might be. Even if it is just to grab a bite I recon thats pretty valid cos these guys don't know when they're next break might come.
Back to my side of the fence, I'd rather pay dudes to be ready for action than to sit in traffic.