PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Novice School near Auckland?

BM-GS
1st September 2005, 09:56
Hi all,

Been riding on-road for years, but reckon dirt has to be the way to go now that I have 2 kiddies. Wandered along to the Woodhill family day last w/e & #1 son loved it - #2 son slept, dunno how...

I'm looking at getting a start in off-roading, so I'm looking for a course or something to tell me to either keep at it or to go home & buy a PlayStation.

Anyone know of any Auckland-area dirt schools which cater for total novices? I'm not sure how well I'll take to it (having no talent), so I'd rather pay for a couple of days tuituon/experience, than buy a bike, kit, trailer, tow-hitch... Me & wife fancy a go - the sprogs can start when they're bigger and we've had enough time to get faster than them.

On the plus side, I have no bad habits to unlearn, except those engendered by 15 years of road-riding (avoid gravel at all costs, keep left, etc). My one day on dirt (Geraint Jones*/Yamaha Enduro School in Wales) was brilliant fun, but I ended the day with a shagged knee (Doc said I was lucky) and falling asleep in my beer. I did learn:
a) that the bike was better then I was, so do what it said.
b) that if things got tricky, backing off the throttle was usually bad.
c) that most 10-year-olds in Wales are ~4x faster than me.
d) for the next 3 days I will hurt a lot, all over.

* Mr Jones was UK Enduro champ 4 years running and he was helped by the current champ & his 2nd-placed teenaged son, just to make us all feel inferior.

spiller
1st September 2005, 12:15
www.poweradventures.co.nz

http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/Rider_Training_OFFROAD.htm

Can anyone else recommend any others??

Dutchee
1st September 2005, 21:07
Most of the coaching out there is aimed at motocross. Power adventures run some trail ride training but the best way is to bite the bullet get a bike and get stuck in. If you get a bike that you and your wife can both ride to start with it might be the way to go initially as that way one can watch the sprogs and recover while the other is riding . There are any number of people that will be prepared to critique your riding and give advice. Since you can ride a bike anyway you'll only have to adjust to off road. Mainly that consists of standing up as much as possible, trying not to run into trees and picking lines that get you over tree roots and keep you out of ruts.
Theres another family day in wodhill this Sunday if you want to have another look. Ask for me at sign on if you want an average riders view on whats what.

chris
2nd September 2005, 09:33
Most of the coaching out there is aimed at motocross. Power adventures run some trail ride training but the best way is to bite the bullet get a bike and get stuck in. If you get a bike that you and your wife can both ride to start with it might be the way to go initially as that way one can watch the sprogs and recover while the other is riding . There are any number of people that will be prepared to critique your riding and give advice. Since you can ride a bike anyway you'll only have to adjust to off road. Mainly that consists of standing up as much as possible, trying not to run into trees and picking lines that get you over tree roots and keep you out of ruts.
Theres another family day in wodhill this Sunday if you want to have another look. Ask for me at sign on if you want an average riders view on whats what.

What he said!
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to buy all the best gear and bikes either. A good helmet, boots and knee braces are a good start. A $15k bike and top of the line, multi colour MX gear is not gonna turn you into Sean Clarke or Dene Humphrey overnight!!
I would definitely get out to the WMCC family day this weekend, the trails they mark out are usually excellent.
My final tip, stay away from 450's.

BM-GS
2nd September 2005, 11:51
Thanks guys.

I was looking at a ~4 year-old something, probably 250cc 4-stroke with an electric start. Nothing highly-strung or needing more than annual maintenence. Stuff with ring-changes and valve-replacement listed in the "Check Weekly" list is right out! A Yam TT-R 220/225/230/whatever seems about right, or a Honda XR250. Let me know if I'm out here! A 125 4-stroke didn't seem the easiest to ride, but I did sample a ~230 which seemed nice enough.

Wife wants a dual commuter & off-roader, but I have visions of getting-to-work problems on Monday after a weekend on the trail... Also tall-seat problems for her at the lights.

Cheers,

chris
2nd September 2005, 11:57
Thanks guys.

I was looking at a ~4 year-old something, probably 250cc 4-stroke with an electric start. Nothing highly-strung or needing more than annual maintenence. Stuff with ring-changes and valve-replacement listed in the "Check Weekly" list is right out! A Yam TT-R 220/225/230/whatever seems about right, or a Honda XR250. Let me know if I'm out here! A 125 4-stroke didn't seem the easiest to ride, but I did sample a ~230 which seemed nice enough.

Wife wants a dual commuter & off-roader, but I have visions of getting-to-work problems on Monday after a weekend on the trail... Also tall-seat problems for her at the lights.

Cheers,
Depending on your size, a CRF230 could be ideal. It has an electric leg as well ! WR250F would give you the mid week commuter and is great in somewhere like Woodhill. Otherwise, KDX200.

BM-GS
2nd September 2005, 15:09
Isn't the KDX a 2-stroke? My early life with an RD350LC kinda put me off them - where longevity's concerned at least, though it made me grin!

I'm 1m86, 90kg. Mrs GS is ~1m73 and unspecified kg. Hence my thinking that a 125 is not the easiest to learn on - on a 250 I reckon I'd be just trying to ride on dirt, not trying to manage the engine as well.

I do have a general lean away from trying to get a single bike to play on AND get to work on, just in case I damage something on Sunday which I can't fix for Monday (and I have 2 wee kids, so spare time is non-existant).

I could always flog the 1150GS and buy 2 normal bikes. Or take that around Woodhill!?

chris
2nd September 2005, 15:14
Isn't the KDX a 2-stroke? My early life with an RD350LC kinda put me off them - where longevity's concerned at least, though it made me grin!

I'm 1m86, 90kg. Mrs GS is ~1m73 and unspecified kg. Hence my thinking that a 125 is not the easiest to learn on - on a 250 I reckon I'd be just trying to ride on dirt, not trying to manage the engine as well.

I do have a general lean away from trying to get a single bike to play on AND get to work on, just in case I damage something on Sunday which I can't fix for Monday (and I have 2 wee kids, so spare time is non-existant).

I could always flog the 1150GS and buy 2 normal bikes. Or take that around Woodhill!?
It is a 2 stroke, but they are cheap to buy, run and maintain and are capable of more in the dirt than most of their owners are! Go for a newish WR250F or maybe a DR-Z250. It all depends on your budget.

Brian d marge
2nd September 2005, 15:35
I started off about a year ago ,,I bought a scruffy 86 cr and with a bit of elbow grease ,,it came up ok ...
Spray can frame ...etc I Learned a lot on that one ( you are lucky in NZ you have VMX where you can race on relativly smooth courses ...)

Then I bought a cheap 91 cr ,,,and as good bits came up ,,,CHEAP ,,i swapped them ... and its just about there ,,just need a pipe to get a touch more off the bottom end

Anyway at the end of all this a 125 cr is more than a match for me ,,,at my current fitness level ..and you can pick them up REAL cheap ...yes they will need a bit of work ,,,( though I saw on trade me a bike ,,,2100 nz for a NEW mx bike 200cc 4 stroke ...,,,which is looks good

Then once you are well and truly bitten ...and become an fulltime airtime junky .....( me I am a crash and burn freak ,,as I am good at that ) ,,the furniture and thing not nailed down will start to disappear in order to fund the habit

Though I see you are 90 kg ,,about what I am ...so springing for a stiffer spring will make life more bearable .. Most jap bike are sprung wayyy to soft

and in a week or to you will wonder why yo didnt do this earlier ,,,oh and btw ,,all that anti social behaviour ,,,,, you cant do on the road ....YOU CAN in the dirt ,,,,wheelys ...stoppies ...handstands over the bars ( wait that wasnt sposed to happen )

Enjoy it reallly fun

Stephen

Henk
2nd September 2005, 17:55
You could probably get your GS around the tracks on Sunday, at least some of them if you don't mind a reasonably low speed and having to work a bit. I get my road legal TTR600 around there with no problems but it's a bit more nimble than your beemer. My wife has been known to ride her road legal DRZ250 there as well. You might want to consider one of those as they are easily lowered. Wifes has aftermarket dog bones to drop the height and uses it for work every day. She has done the same to her off road only KDX200. Either of those would work for you and your good lady.
Again if you decide to turn up on Sunday ask for me at sign on and I'll show you where the most suitable tracks for your beemer are, might even follow you around a bit to see if I can have a few laughs at your expense