PDA

View Full Version : The Ride to Conquer Cancer - 2014

Katiepie
14th March 2014, 12:33
I have begun a very personal challenge to complete the http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050 Ride to conquer Cancer - 2014.

So many of us have lost the ones we love to Cancer, some have survived it themselves, others will possibly learn how to support someone going through treatment in the future. We all know how cruel a disease it is, and how terrifyingly common it is to become ill with it these days.

For me personally, I sat at my darling dads bedside last year when he passed away from Cancer, only 5 weeks after being diagnosed.

I now feel strong enough to take on the challenge of joining the Ride to Conquer Cancer, in honor of my dad and help to raise funds for the Auckland Cancer Society. Future research is the only way to help others fight this fight, and win.

I will join thousands of others, a mix of those who have also lost loved ones or are cancer survivors themselves, and cycle 200km over 48 hours in November this year. It will be a huge physical challenge for me. I am unfit, I am not a cyclist, and my body is not what it used to be with new daily challenges. I am ready to push myself to new limits.

The challenge has begun - any support from any direction is, as always, greatly appreciated. I am so bloody excited!

I have no energy for getting grief on here - just a little support can go a hell of a long way, as I know from many of you in the past. Bring it on!

Old Steve
14th March 2014, 12:44
You great girl!

Since I moved to Oz I haven't been in here often, so it's a fantastic thrill to see you posting and still riding Katiepie. Sorry to hear about your Dad, we're never prepared are we, no matter what is going on. I always thought my Dad was immortal.

Sorry this message has to be a 'fluffy' and not advising of some more solid support coming to your great cause.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Katiepie
14th March 2014, 12:46
You great girl!

Since I moved to Oz I haven't been in here often, so it's a fantastic thrill to see you posting and still riding Katiepie. Sorry to hear about your Dad, we're never prepared are, no matter what is going on. I always thought my Dad was immortal.

Sorry this message has to be a 'fluffy' and not advising of some more solid support coming to your great cause.

Ride safe and enjoy!

Thanks mate. Only mentioned the fluffy stuff as I'm so tired of being accused of seeking attention so it had to be said. Words are support enough and I thank you. On a mission, looking forward to the challenge. Hope you are well.

Robbo
14th March 2014, 14:09
Good on you katiepie, it is a wonderful cause to help fight a scourge that has had an effect on many of us. I hope one day in my lifetime that i will see a cure for cancer. The best of luck with your ride and i hope you get the rewards you desire. :niceone:

rocketman1
14th March 2014, 15:09
Hey Katiepie,

Great to read about your endeavour to complete this ride.
I am recovering from cancer myself and I know what a great cause this ride is for.

Best of Luck.

Ulsterkiwi
14th March 2014, 15:13
good on ya, I like the way you think.

R650R
14th March 2014, 22:26
Good luck, I see you've already been through some challenging situations.
Try getting some rides in to get your legs used to spinning and make sure your vitamin levels are good esp magnesium etc to ward off muscle cramps.
Even if your just cruising that's a fair distance in a short time for anyone. Just been down your way for Karapoti so all to aware about leg cramps!
Safe travels.

Katiepie
15th March 2014, 18:55
Good luck, I see you've already been through some challenging situations.
Try getting some rides in to get your legs used to spinning and make sure your vitamin levels are good esp magnesium etc to ward off muscle cramps.
Even if your just cruising that's a fair distance in a short time for anyone. Just been down your way for Karapoti so all to aware about leg cramps!
Safe travels.

Thanks 650R. Well done for doing the Karapoti. That's and impressive feat. My training has started and I know it will take me right up until the ride to get my fitness level to where it needs to be, and body conditioned. I am doing my early training on a cheap mountain bike, and slowly getting used to cycling again. Doing a gentle 25km tomorrow along the river trail. I am working on both fitness and strength, adding in a bit of hiking along the way. Walked the Tongario Crossing over Christmas, and aiming to do it again next month. I have gone back to my physio to help me strengthen my neck back and leg that are all very week.

I need this challenge for me personally, as it's high time I pushed myself again and got my body used to being active again. The mental challenge will also be very good for me. And of course the ultimate goal of raising funds for Cancer research and treatments to try and help others have more of a chance at kicking cancers butt in the future.

This is quite a learning curve for me, thank you for the advice about vitamins and muscle spasms. I have ample supply of a high dose magnesium from previous injuries. And those who know me will know that the biggest challenge for me will be diet and learning how to eat healthy foods to keep me going.

2014 is a very exciting year, with much opportunity to push myself to better levels.

caseye
15th March 2014, 19:03
Support, for katiepie! Dun!
Go girl.
Great to see you into it and making things happen.
I know you can do it.

SMOKEU
15th March 2014, 19:10
I will join thousands of others, a mix of those who have also lost loved ones or are cancer survivors themselves, and cycle 200km over 48 hours in November this year. It will be a huge physical challenge for me. I am unfit, I am not a cyclist, and my body is not what it used to be with new daily challenges. I am ready to push myself to new limits.

It's going to be a pretty big mission if you're not really a cyclist. You do have plenty of time for training though, so you should be fine if you cycle regularly to build up your stamina. It's not a quick process though. I could do that sort of distance over 2 days, but I'm a cyclist who does a lot of road riding and that will be a pretty big challenge even for me.

Get some Gatorade or other such electrolyte sports drink, as that really helps over longer distances. Taking caffeine pills before the ride and smoking buds along the way helps too, as your muscles won't be as painful after a good smoke. Just don't forget to drink plenty of water/sports drink. Get a frame mounted pump, saddle bag for basic tools and a puncture kit, and water bottle cage(s) so you don't have to carry a backpack. Some good puncture resistant tyres are a must.

What bike are you planning on using? You want a good road bike too for those distances.

SMOKEU
15th March 2014, 19:11
PS. You don't need lycra to be a good cyclist. I've never worn it, because I don't want to be a lycrafag.

Tazz
15th March 2014, 19:16
http://youtu.be/_rAHnwWfsaY

My grandfather died of cancer a few years back on St Patricks day so it is on my familys mind at the moment. The bugger went through chemo and still had a full head of jet black hair grow back (wtf did they put in brylcreem back in the day!?) but it wasn't enough, such as it goes.

Best of luck with the training and ride bud. If you enjoy the experience make sure you don't just stop at one.

Katiepie
15th March 2014, 19:28
It's going to be a pretty big mission if you're not really a cyclist. You do have plenty of time for training though, so you should be fine if you cycle regularly to build up your stamina. It's not a quick process though. I could do that sort of distance over 2 days, but I'm a cyclist who does a lot of road riding and that will be a pretty big challenge even for me.

Get some Gatorade or other such electrolyte sports drink, as that really helps over longer distances. Taking caffeine pills before the ride and smoking buds along the way helps too, as your muscles won't be as painful after a good smoke. Just don't forget to drink plenty of water/sports drink. Get a frame mounted pump, saddle bag for basic tools and a puncture kit, and water bottle cage(s) so you don't have to carry a backpack. Some good puncture resistant tyres are a must.

What bike are you planning on using? You want a good road bike too for those distances.

Thanks for your advice. And yes, I know what a massive challenge this will be, not being a cyclist. This is why I have made a start this early as I will need all the time I can get to get ready.

Starting out with a shitta of a bike, but that won't be for long. Am working hard to save and sell a few things (no, not the motorbike) to buy myself a small framed, lightweight endurance road bike for the later and longer training. Seen a few that I have had advice on, but just for now need to stick with the shitta until the time is right to change.

Who knows, smoking some buds on the rides might just help me with my food and diet issues - my old colleagues have been trying to fix me for years with that stuff. lol - stubborn girl but I just keep saying no.

Grashopper
15th March 2014, 19:34
Wow! Go you! :2thumbsup:

Wish you all the best for this. You are getting a better bike than that old mountain bike though, aren't you?

Edit: Haha, that's what happens if you get distracted by a horror movie while writing a post.

Gremlin
15th March 2014, 20:07
Best of luck. You'll definitely want to be completing 100km rides by the time the event rolls around. Remember also that working with other cyclists in a pack will really help. Slogging out the distance solo will be a lot more work. In competition packs, only 40% of the energy is used, compared to doing all the work.

In terms of bikes, be careful purchasing anything 2nd hand, as you can end up inheriting the issues, and depending on budget, end up costing more than something new on special. On that note, never pay RRP :msn-wink: The mountain bike will make the riding harder (you probably know that), but then, for improving fitness, that's not a bad thing. Try to find the fun in the riding, as doing it purely for fitness will be a struggle to keep motivation going.

Used to road team time trial over a decade ago, and got into bicycles again last year, but this time mountain biking. Good for fitness and the social aspect :Punk:

Katiepie
15th March 2014, 20:14
Best of luck. You'll definitely want to be completing 100km rides by the time the event rolls around. Remember also that working with other cyclists in a pack will really help. Slogging out the distance solo will be a lot more work. In competition packs, only 40% of the energy is used, compared to doing all the work.

In terms of bikes, be careful purchasing anything 2nd hand, as you can end up inheriting the issues, and depending on budget, end up costing more than something new on special. On that note, never pay RRP :msn-wink: The mountain bike will make the riding harder (you probably know that), but then, for improving fitness, that's not a bad thing. Try to find the fun in the riding, as doing it purely for fitness will be a struggle to keep motivation going.

Used to road team time trial over a decade ago, and got into bicycles again last year, but this time mountain biking. Good for fitness and the social aspect :Punk:

Awesome advice as always Gremiln, thank you. There is fantastic support for all entrants for the ride, but it is Auckland based so their weekly group training rides are up there only. I will train solo until I have a road bike (yes, will be making sure I have help buying the right bike for me) and then actively seek out groups down here to train with.

And you are right, the added effort of starting on my piece of crap will be very good for my fitness.

R650R
15th March 2014, 20:39
I wouldn't worry too much about knocking out the distance during training as on roadbike during thee real thing your avg speed will be higher than mtb river trail anyway.
I'd say just get your body used to being active for how long you think it will take which I'd guess at 3-5 hours for 100km a day.
And also learn to control fluid intake, drinking too much is as bad as drinking too little.
Karapoti was 50km but my training rides were only 17-25km every second day, just focused on doing that without stopping.
Give yourself a rest the week before.
The gym is actually the best place to get fit but I cant stand to be around all those blokes who shave their chest and legs... biking is a fun way to stay fit but only 1/4 as efficient time wise compared to gym workouts with proper program...

Ocean1
15th March 2014, 20:44
Go hard Katie, it's a good gig.

And you'll be chucking off the leathers in favour of the traditional bare minimum of lycra I assume?

Katiepie
15th March 2014, 20:51
Go hard Katie, it's a good gig.

And you'll be chucking off the leathers in favour of the traditional bare minimum of lycra I assume?

Thanks mate.

And yes, will be sporting a different "biker" look for the next wee while, in between the leather outings of course. Got some good basic gear to get me going - out for a 25km ride tomorrow. Will upgrade gear as I upgrade bikes and when I have kicked into full swing with my fundraising campaign.

SMOKEU
16th March 2014, 13:22
Thanks for your advice. And yes, I know what a massive challenge this will be, not being a cyclist. This is why I have made a start this early as I will need all the time I can get to get ready.

Starting out with a shitta of a bike, but that won't be for long. Am working hard to save and sell a few things (no, not the motorbike) to buy myself a small framed, lightweight endurance road bike for the later and longer training. Seen a few that I have had advice on, but just for now need to stick with the shitta until the time is right to change.

Who knows, smoking some buds on the rides might just help me with my food and diet issues - my old colleagues have been trying to fix me for years with that stuff. lol - stubborn girl but I just keep saying no.

Good plan. I also find that after a smoke up I can get myself more into "the zone". It's a bit hard to explain, but basically it's about finding a good, steady pace that you can sustain, focusing your mind on the task at hand.

Also, never ever ever ride anywhere without ALL the equipment you will need in case of a puncture. So, pump, spare tube, patch kit and tyre levers. You'll only make the mistake once of going far from home without the proper kit, and then having a very long walk home. Practice removing the tube and tyre so you don't have any surprises when out on the road.

Watch out for idiots who don't look before they open their car doors either, so slow down if you have to ride close to parked vehicles.

+1 to this.

Katiepie
16th March 2014, 16:06
A gentle 25kms done today on the old shitta. I am certain that training on this bike is definitely going to help improve my fitness.

Strong head wind all the way, so a good morning out on the bike as part of "bike the trail".
I have some indoor cycle trainers on my watch list on Trademe, so won't be slacking off due to lack of daylight hours during the week.

A fun day - now off to walk my two large dogs for 4km.

Smiling and feeling good - will deal with the neck pain later

SMOKEU
16th March 2014, 17:54
If you have an Android phone look for Map my Ride or Strava to record your rides with GPS and track your progress. 25km is a good effort. Keep up the hard work!

Katiepie
18th March 2014, 20:17
Thank you to those of you who have donated already. People are being very generous and it's pretty inspiring to see. It makes me push harder to achieve a great result for the Cancer Society. I was reading some figures on how many people in New Zealand Cancer affects directly. And reading some of the blogs of other participants who are cancer survivors and what they have been through filled my eyes with tears and gives me even more determination.

Last night after work I got the dogs out for a 4km walk, and then headed out for a short 8km ride. I have to walk the pups every night but will be aiming to do a short ride 3 nights a week and 2 longer ones (20-25km) each weekend.

Tomorrow I have one of the Ride trainers in Auckland calling me to discuss my diet issues and nutrition with me, as well as to help me set up a proper training schedule to keep me on the right track.

Some pretty awesome folk in Wellington have offered to ride and train with me when they can and I am very thankful indeed.

Over the weekend I have raised $455.00. A long way to go but when I set my mind to something I don't give up. My grandma used to tell me I managed to get my last career by sticking around like a bad smell ad never walking away. She wasn't wrong, I knew what I wanted so I made it happen.

Looking forward to the weekend and getting another decent ride under my belt.

R650R
18th March 2014, 21:13
Well done, keep at it. Your Grandma sounds nicer than mine.
When she wasn't giving me the finger out the window driving past in front of my mates she was telling me to slow down as she didn't have any spare money for flowers (my funeral).
Yes the numbers of people affected are mind blowing, did my own research when family affected and the best thing seems to be to promote healthy eating and lifestyle.
The problem is getting exponentially worse and if anyone here hasn't been affected personally already I urge you to read up a bit and change habits while its early enough to make a difference.

Katiepie
23rd March 2014, 19:25
My second 25km ride under my belt today. It was a beautiful day in Wellington so I got up early to get the bike a bit more sorted for some decent rides. I brought an odometer from trademe and it came with a dead battery. Replaced it today and was looking forward to keeping a closer eye on what I was doing.

I got out my new, but cheap, hand pump and tried to add some more air to the tyres. After a couple of pumps I lost all the air out of the first tyre. And no matter what I did, I couldn't refil it at all. I tried the second tire, lost all the air that was already in it aswell. Sigh. What was I doing wrong? I was getting frustrated as I was ready to head out for some decent training, but wasn't going anywhere with 2 flats. I had the inner tubes both replaced only a couple of rids ago so I didn't think it was that. It took me a good wee while to realise that the pump was leaking! Ah ha - that I could do something about.

I loaded the bike into the station wagon and headed into town (I live in the country). Nothing was open on a Sunday except the warehouse, and they had a single pump left, the same cheap crapper I had jut brought last weekend. So I brought it, with the hope the I wouldn't have to wait another full week to do this ride.

Sure enough it worked. I was relived as my budget for the week doesn't stretch much past buying a second pump.

It was a still day with no difficult head wind. I tried to get the odometer to work for half an hour at the start of the ride, but once again no go, and then the screen died. Sigh - I was going to have to just figure out the distance another way.

I was doing well and cycling well along the river trail when the drink bottle cage I brought fell sideways on the frame. I stopped to try and suss it out - last week the PVC electrical tape wouldn't hold it in place, this week the cable ties were no good. The supercheap auto cheapo bike doesn't have bolt holes in the frame to screw in a bottle cage like most other bikes. I tried drilling into the frame but after breaking off my 3rd drill bit (yes metal bits) I gave up.

The rest of the ride went well and I found it much easier than I did last week. It's amazing how much difference not having to battle the wind makes.

A complete non rider - riding is causing me migraines from the pressure and pain in my neck and my leg with the plate in it is swelling up each time. But am learning how it al feels, and they are small consequences to pay for starting this challenge. It does seem though that I have a lot to learn about bicycles and kits for the ride. I look forward to booking into a class that a local bike shop runs when the budget allows.

Feeling good, and really enjoying the challenge already.

If you would like to help support me and believe that I can do this then please head over to my ride page and donate. All proceeds go to the Cancer Society to help with future research and treatments - giving others a better chance at kicking Cancers butt!!

http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

R650R
23rd March 2014, 22:10
Sometimes your better off without one of those odometer things, cause its damn depressing when you go for a ride and end up being slower (bad diet/not enough sleep/lower pressures for mud etc)...
It takes a long time to get faster than your base level anyway, just getting out there and doing it is great though for getting the body used to it.

Gremlin
24th March 2014, 00:50
Katie, it's likely your bike will use schrader valves: http://www.fitwerx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Valves.jpg

These are standard fitment for all cars, motorbikes and most bicycles (upper end use Presta). So, any gas station pump will work, just make sure to keep a good seal between valve and pump.

If you're up in Auckland with the bike, feel free to ask for some assistance and I can go through some basics with you.

Katiepie
24th March 2014, 21:18
Sometimes your better off without one of those odometer things, cause its damn depressing when you go for a ride and end up being slower (bad diet/not enough sleep/lower pressures for mud etc)...
It takes a long time to get faster than your base level anyway, just getting out there and doing it is great though for getting the body used to it.

I'm not wanting to focus on speed or timings at this early stage, more wanting to keep a track on how far I have ridden. Did it the "google" was this time and now I know it's a 26km route return, I'm happy to keep cycling that route to just work on fitness and strengthening my neck. Pushing myself will come further down the line.

Katie, it's likely your bike will use schrader valves: http://www.fitwerx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Valves.jpg

These are standard fitment for all cars, motorbikes and most bicycles (upper end use Presta). So, any gas station pump will work, just make sure to keep a good seal between valve and pump.

If you're up in Auckland with the bike, feel free to ask for some assistance and I can go through some basics with you.

I really appreciate that. And yes, I think those are the valves on it. Will need to learn the basics and them some, but this first issue was the fact that I brought a cheap pump, and the valve fitted to the pump was leaking, and released ALL the air from both tires.

I really am a complete amiture. BUT I'm giving it a go, and can only learn more as I go along. Just like on my motorbike, learning how to do a few of the basics like tighten chain etc for my solo road trips (South Island for my 30th birthday over Easter)

Donations are coming through steadily and I am humbled by the generosity being given. Any amount is appreciated, and donations can also be made anonymously. It certainly is pushing me to work even harder at reaching this goal.

SMOKEU
24th March 2014, 22:40
1. Never, ever, ever Jew out on a bike pump. I recommend a Topeak Joe Blow. They're around $80 if you shop around, and do presta valves and schrader valves without having to dismantle anything on the pump. It will also do high pressure road bike tyres, as I've tested it to 120psi and it does it very easily, with plenty more in reserve. It's also great for motorbike tyres.

http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/6416/

2. Don't make any holes in the bike frame either, especially not when you upgrade to a decent bike!

3. Don't fuck around with cheap tyres that are prone to punctures, you need a proper puncture resistant belt in there.

4. Don't forget a portable pump to carry with you at all times, but this can be a fairly cheap one unless you need more than about 50psi.

Gremlin
24th March 2014, 23:00
2. Don't make any holes in the bike frame either, especially not when you upgrade to a decent bike!
Meant to comment on this actually. As the smokey one said, don't drill the frame. Proper holes will have threads inside to bolt the bottle cage to, you'd have to drill through the frame unless you use some sort of expanding butterfly. You're also risking compromising the frame, and your safety. Zip ties are probably your best bet to secure a bottle, or try and alternate mount, on the bars, under the seat (roadies use this) or consider a hydration backpack (bladder in a bag). Easily re-purposed for motorcycling as well.

If you know what you're looking for, this site can have good deals: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/division/bike/home.do

Otherwise, a bike store with specials is also a good bet.

R650R
25th March 2014, 06:00
1. Never, ever, ever Jew out on a bike pump. I recommend a Topeak Joe Blow. They're around $80 if you shop around, and do presta valves and schrader valves without having to dismantle anything on the pump. It will also do high pressure road bike tyres, as I've tested it to 120psi and it does it very easily, with plenty more in reserve.

I've thrown two of those Top Peak on bike pumps in the bin now, first one blew the seals/over heated during a change, second one think the seals dried up from lack of use.
Really PMO as the tyre had stayed on the bead despite major puncture at 60k on forestry road downhill, was muddy and could have ridden it out like that.
So got some of those CO2 things sitting around and bought an adaptor. I don't know how people think they would ever do a motorbike tyre, took two of them to get a 27.5x2.3 up to about 15-18 psi...

Have had a cheap Giro? floorpump like the style in picture from T7 for ages and works great for changes at home, gets used on motorbikes too and even good for a couple PSI into car tyres before a trip away.

Katiepie
30th March 2014, 13:16
So I am adjusting to the standard 25km ride that I do ok, with a hard push near the end when I start to lag. But I have not done two days training back to back. This weekend I completed 2 x 26km rides/ The first day I did well, finding it less painful and focussed on strengthening my neck using different muscles. Todays ride I was joined by a friend who has a hell of a lot of advice and experience to share with me and I was very thankful to have a ridding buddy. The poor guy - I forgot to warn him just how slow I would be!!!!

We started off at a faster pace than what I have been easing myself into. But I was excellent to have to push on because you were with someone else, rather than take the easy option and just back off and plod along. I used muscles in my legs and thighs that I don't think I use as much as I should be, my back was getting a better work out too. My buddy followed me riding for a bit and then stopped me to adjust my seat. After a couple of stops and adjustments things were feeling a lot better in my riding position with a higher seat. I also began to use the muscles in my ride calf muscle more. As a result it is now much more swollen than it has been from rubbing against the plate and pins. It proves to me once again just how little I actually use my muscles.

On the homeward stretch of the ride I began to slow right down. My legs were feeling like jelly and the pain in my neck had started to escalate rapidly. I knew a migraine was coming on from the nerves pinching in my neck from my old injury (broken neck C2). But the more obvious thing to me and him was that my body was running out of fuel. It seems after only a few weeks of training I have lost weight and am down to spot on 50kg. This has not been intentional, and I hadn't noticed it myself. But a few people have been commeting on their concern about me burning too much energy, and not re-fueling my body enough. I know understand what they are talking about.

I won't go into it, but food and diet is my biggest challenge for this ride, and my training. I may have run out of steam today but this is all a wonderful learning curve for me to learn about my limited stamina, the limits of my neck and leg and how to push through them, and slowly building up a better fitness level after starting from scratch. I am loving the challenge, and am very thankful for all the support I am receiving along the way. Thanks to my friend today for your coaching, adjustments to the bike and general encouragement. It made me push a little harder rather than trying to figure it all out on my own.

Throughout the year I will be asking for donations again along the way. I have a long way to go but am off to a great start with some very generous donations behind me already - thank you to those of you who have done so.

My ride page can be found here (http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050).
All donations go directly to the Auckland Cancer Society to aid in future research and treatments.

when my uncle did this ride last year and raised over 16k in funds, he rode past a man standing on the side of the road in support of them all - holding up a sign that sums it up perfectly... "Fuck Cancer"

Gremlin
30th March 2014, 14:31
In simplest terms, you must eat to put on fat. When you exercise, you would burn off that fat. The last thing you want to do is eat up the muscle you've been working to build.

R650R
31st March 2014, 16:20
You should try and eat a good mix of protein and carbs within 30mins of finishing exercise too as that is when your muscles are primed to take up all the good stuff a lot quicker.
Especially if your planning on a second ride the next day.
Sounds like your doing alright all things considered, take it easy though, just riding regularly every second day if you can should do plenty for you.
There's a bit of a cycling thread over in the adventure touring section too called "adventure pushies", some more knowledgable folk in there too.

Katiepie
6th April 2014, 22:13
A bit of an update on how my training is going.... but first, take 10 minutes to watch this very very cool orientation video for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I am watching it daily at the moment, and each time it sets me into tears of sadness, joy, fills me with passion, and a large amount of motivation. My uncle speaks in it (which I didn't know) about how he raised over $15,000 last year. I am so excited to be a part of this event and raising funds for people like the ones in this video, and of course, my darling dad. RIP dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8I_wwq6JL0&feature=youtu.be

Last weekend I did 2 x 25km rides, and the second day kind of took it out on me as I didn't have enough fuel in my body. This weekend my new training partner got me out to the Rimutaka Rail Trail. This is a very gentle 20km ride and on a constant incline on the way up. Very subtle, but I began to struggle quite quickly with very poor breathing on the incline. I wanted to stop and rest for a few minutes to get my breathing right but my training partner wouldn't let me and pushed me on. Slowly I made my way to the summit and was thrilled to get there without stopping once. I have never ridden any form of an incline in my entire life so it all felt very different.

On the way back down my training partner put me on his mountain bike for a try, and my goodness me, what a difference!!! I sat in behind him watching him pedal 3 times as much as me. I had to laugh as it looked like effort alright, and I was having a ball on his bike! So much fun, and I couldn't believe how I could stop peddling for a moment and coast, and the bike didn't stop dead within seconds.

Today I went back out on my own to ride the same track again, and just loved it. I focussed on my breathing a little better and pushed myself to stay on the bike and not stop. I felt really really good when I had finished and look forward to getting my body used to riding uphill more along the way.

Tonight I have just been loaned a better mountain bike - so much lighter, better wheels, better seat and foot pegs. I look forward to getting onto my indoor trainer for the week, then out for some longer rides in the weekend.

My donations have reached the first milestone of $1000.00. I have to raise a minimum of $2500 but am aiming for $5000. People are being very generous and I am very thankful they are contributing to this cause that I feel so strongly about.

I am very excited right about now about everything. I am pleased with my progress after having never been on a push bike more than once 4 weeks ago, to now getting out and cycling about 50km each weekend and struggling a little less with each ride. I have been back on my pain medications today from a very very sore neck from the cycling, and the swelling continues in my leg, but seems to settle after a couple of days. It will be interesting to see if both these things continue along the way of adapt with me as I do more training.

Loving the challenge and the chance to give back a little to others who need the help.

http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

Katiepie
9th April 2014, 11:33
The total I have managed to fund raise so far for Cancer Research sits at $1705.00.

The FULL proceeds go to the Cancer Society at the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre (ACSRC), based in in the University of Auckland. The ACSRC is one the world’s most productive academic cancer drug development groups, having to date brought 12 new drugs to clinical trials in NZ and around the world.

Proceeds from the Ride to Conquer Cancer ensure the sustainability of this important work as we continue to seek breakthroughs that will directly impact the lives of thousands of people going through cancer treatment.

I won't be stopping at the minimum required of $2500.00. I aim to raise at least $5,000.00 to help others fight, and win this bloody awful battle!

It's game on!

Grashopper
9th April 2014, 18:19
Great to hear that your training is going well and you got $1700 together already in donations. :2thumbsup

You still have a few months left to top your uncle's results :msn-wink:

Hopefully your neck pain will lessen with time and training and your leg will get used to it, too.

Katiepie
18th April 2014, 15:18
After a brilliant week in every way, I have now raised a total of just over $2500.00 for the Cancer Society. I am over the moon, because this now means can officially participate in the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

A stunning bike was delivered to me at work yesterday, a rebuilt small-framed road bike that is bloody beautiful to be honest. I can now start my road training and up the length of rides.

I am managing my neck pain very well, and seem to be strengthening my neck muscles without the pinching of the nerves that I have been used to for 3 years. Pretty thrilled about that. My leg however is a bit of a mess - very swollen, and lower leg rather full of fluid. Even when I rest the swelling doesn't seem to go down. It doesn't seem to hurt too much when I cycle, but walking on it is causing great pain.

Aiming to raise $5,000 and now very very excited to be a part of this challenge. It's doing me the world of good both physically and mentally.

But for now, a few days off cycling and back onto my motorbike - as I head to the South Island for a solo road trip to celebrate my 30th. Can't think of a better place to be. Best I get some tramping in to make up for my lack of training for the week.

The ride is officially on! And I am super pumped about it all.

Ocean1
18th April 2014, 16:59
After a brilliant week in every way, I have now raised a total of just over $2500.00 for the Cancer Society. I am over the moon, because this now means can officially participate in the Ride to Conquer Cancer.

A stunning bike was delivered to me at work yesterday, a rebuilt small-framed road bike that is bloody beautiful to be honest. I can now start my road training and up the length of rides.

Good news Katie.

I passed a small dayglo person of a blond persuasion jogging up the valley road earlier, wasn't you by any chance?

Grashopper
21st April 2014, 15:42
Hope you're having fun on the South Island. Whereabouts are you heading? The road between Blenheim and Kaikoura is not in the best state, I heard, but I remember it being boring by car, so hopefully you'll have planned a more fun route anyway.

It's good to see that your fund-raising is going well and that you now have a good bike to train with. Would be interested to hear how much of a difference it is to the mountain bike.

Just heard the inspiring story of olympic sprinter Betty Robinson (http://www.olympic.org/news/betty-robinson-athletics/179776), who got into a plane crash and was in a coma for 7 month with head injuries, a crushed arm and a broken leg. The leg injury was pretty bad. It was set with a rod and pins but she never was able to kneel on it again. However, five years after the accident she and her relay team won the 1936 Summer Olympics.
Made me think of you.

Katiepie
10th May 2014, 20:53
I know only a could of you are following this thread but a quite update for those who has wished me well or donated to my ride...

I am now out riding each weekend on the rebuilt road bike that had been put together for me and donated to me. Last weekend I got a couple of 30km rides under my belt on the road, and tackled the Wallicville hill near by where I live. Holy shit - that nearly killed me! It wasn't until I had already committed to the hill that I realised the bike was already in it's easiest gear. And it took all my body weight and focus to slowly push on the pedals (standing up, gearing was too hard for me to get a single rotation sitting down) and make it to the summit. But I did it, both days.

My breathing scared me - I couldn't get any breathe in and it felt like my throat was closed up or inflamed.
My neck was incredibly painful and it triggered a migraine for both days - I was a little sick at home that night throwing up all night.
And my leg, well, it had doubled in size, and the fluid that is usually there filled up my entire lower leg and went up in behind my knee - for the next week I was in agony and could not put weight on it or touch it.

Went to the doc a few days ago - had x-rays done on my leg and finally got to see for the first time in 3 years what metal ware was in there, and where it was. I wondered if anything had come loose causing the aggravation to my leg - but a simply x-ray showed me that everything was perfectly in place and tidy - a plate and 6 screws. Doc said leg is going to be a life long injury, breathing I am measuring to keep an eye on asthma, and my neck, well, that too it just simply what happens when I hold my head in that position and used the muscles around my C2 - the nerves get pinches and trigger migraines.

Not complaining at all, it was just really interesting to see my body react when I began to push it.

Very happy to know everything is normal and I got the all clear - so looking forward to continuing my training and making a little progress with my fitness along the way.

I have raised just shy of $3000 for the Cancer Research Centre, and I am aiming for 5k.

Tomorrow I am getting out for my first 50km cycle - including the Wallicville hill over to my house. I am very much looking forward to achieving that tomorrow.

A local bike shop have heard about my ride and have offered to service and set up my bike for me, and maintain it throughout my training - with new tyres for my ride. Also want to donated their time and parts when they are needed. Pretty over the moon.

And I had an interview with a local paper also last week to promote the cause, and this fantastic event. There are few outside of Auckland who do it, so I am hoping that I can help others - cyclists and non cyclist like me - to get behind this cause and enter the event next year by getting themselves to Auckland.

The interview left me in tears talking about the last few days of my fathers illness, but more determination to push even harder and raise money to help others win this bloody fight!

I am riding to Conquer Cancer - and it's helping me to recover from my major motorbike crash that nearly took my life from me. Never felt so happy and healthy - reckon I could get used to this whole cycling thing.

http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014/180633553?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

R650R
10th May 2014, 21:33
Well done. I'm sure there's more than a couple following the thread. Probably too much in awe of what you're achieving given your problems with existing/previous injuries to write anything.
Sounds like you're focused and goalset, keep at it :)

Tazz
11th May 2014, 01:11
More people read than post :niceone:

3k! Good shit bud! Keep it up. *motivational prod*

SMOKEU
11th May 2014, 09:12
You're doing so well! Keep up the great work. :drool:

Katiepie
11th May 2014, 18:53
Cheers folks...

I managed the 50km ride today that I had hopped for - including the Walliceville hill at the end of the ride. Very happy I got a decent ride done. And the hill was not as painful as last weekend. Perhaps my level of fitness is slowly on the improve? Migraine coming on now from my neck - but a Nuromol an glass wine will help with that I'm sue.

Feeling awesome, so pleased I signed up for this event!

caseye
11th May 2014, 19:41
"Little steps" remember Katie.
You've a lot of quiet but bloody proud people out here willing you on mate.
Keep up the great work.

Katiepie
15th May 2014, 20:51
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/hutt-news/10042137/Back-from-the-brink-and-thinking-of-Dad

Katiepie
18th May 2014, 16:11
32km on the road yesterday, including the hill home...
50km in the road today, including the hill on the homeward stretch.
Pushing hard for the Auckland Ride to Conquer Cancer

A hell of a hard push this weekend for my body, and I didn't think I was going to make it. Struggling to hold my head up on my neck now - but VERY pleased I pushed through. 200km is a long way off for this very unfit girl, but every ride is helping.

I'm working hard to raise funds for Cancer Society Auckland for their leading Research Centre. No donation is too small, and business can donate too. Thank you to those of you have already given generously. Please help me reach my goals, and keep me pushing through this.- My bum is going to look amazing by November - what a reward!

http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014/907068571?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

Katiepie
25th June 2014, 13:49
http://www.3news.co.nz/Back-on-the-bike-to-fight-cancer/tabid/423/articleID/350106/Default.aspx

Daffyd
25th June 2014, 15:28
I know only a could of you are following this thread but a quite update for those who has wished me well or donated to my ride...

http://www.conquercancer.org.nz/site/TR/Events/Auckland2014/180633553?px=1029505&pg=personal&fr_id=1050

I think you'd be surprised at just how many are following this thread.

R650R
25th June 2014, 19:00
Great interview, you come across as so positive. Keep at it :)

Katiepie
11th July 2014, 20:33
I have had some very positive feedback after the news paper article and the TV3 news clip about my Ride to Conquer Cancer. Some friends are asking me "why me? Why am I being thrown into the media for this when I am no different to anyone else?". I know, very valid question and I do not have an answer to that. All I know is yes, I am just a normal every day girl, nothing special. But despite what some of these people have thought, I do not approach any media - all media has been directed to me from the Ride to Conquer Cancers organisers. For some reason some people can relate to my story, or aspect of it. There are many people doing this ride who are not confident enough to say yes to media. Many people are being asked to help promote the ride and cause but many are saying no because they are not sure how to be in the public eye.

After my accident, I have learned to become a yes girl. If there is something positive that can come out of me saying yes to interviews and promotion, be it publicity about the event, gaining more interest from people wanting to participate, donations coming through benefiting the Cancer research Centre, or even just some who has had a bit of a hard time and doesn't believe they can do something turning around and saying, actually, I can.... then it has all been worth it. I have nothing to loose anymore and will do anything I can to help out and give back in some way. If that means sharing my story from my accident and what I am pushing through to do this, then so be it.

My fundraising total is now up to $4675.00 and I am now striving to raise $10,000. ALL the money raised goes directly into Cancer Research and clinical drug trials.

As for my training, I have been working hard and am out in the freezing mornings every single weekend, and now riding 65km on a regular basis. Struggling with a lot of pain, and on a regular basic am now throwing up from it spiking past the threshold my body can handle. But I am learning how to manage it a little better each time.

Still struggling with my breathing, and my leg swells with each ride. But it is becoming normal and I am ok with that, as long as I know what it's all doing and why. I am sooooooo unfit, and have a couple of bad experiences joining small groups to try and train with - been a few tears and a little bit of self doubt along the way.

But I have slapped myself out of that and am focussed again and more passionate than ever about raising this money and achieving this goal with my father in my heart.

I managed 6 hours endurance training on the wind trainer 2 weeks back while some friends ran a fundraising sausage sizzled for me - a lot of pain, and legs were complete jelly. But I LOVED it.

A VERY exciting potential opportunity ahead... A friend approached a local gym and asked them to sponsor me with a gym membership. I am so broke and paying off a lot of debt from my accident still where ACC would not cover me to much of my recovery. I know I need to get fit and work hard, but I have been so unsure how to do it with the pitch black of winter and not being able to ride week nights for a while. After asking me for more information I sent them the 6 links to past and present media coverage (I was horrified there were 6 items). They have come back telling my friend they are definitely interested in sponsoring me and setting me up with a personal trainer a few times a week to help me cross this finish line. Incredibly excited - means my days 3 times a week would be leaving home at 5am, getting in at 7pm, walking my dogs who have been tied up all day until about 8pm, and night classes twice a week. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have never been this busy and it is a wonderful challenge learning how to keep up.

I wish my dad could be here to see me so happy and well again. He never got to see that and I would give anything for him to know I am strong and happy again.

Thank you to those of you who have made donations - it is greatly appreciated and the support is never taken for granted.

6am ride in the morning before I get to ride my motorbike for the first time since Easter up to Manfield. So excited and missing that bike desperately. Then 6am ride sunday morning, dog walk with a group and home in the afternoon to get another couple of hours training it before a new week starts again.

:) big smiles - Pie

R650R
11th July 2014, 22:45
Don't go worry about that factor of what other people think or worry about in regards to your media exposure.
Your story of what you've been through is pure gold for media and they will chase that even if now served up for them by the organisers.
You've had a near death experience, painful recovery, gone back to the activity that hurt you, then put yourself through more pain to help others with this ride.
Then add in that your confident in front of camera with a pretty smile and you've got a great story/clip that holds viewer attention.

Many people are wary of media for a variety of reasons these days, so once they have a good story/angle they will always come for the follow up stories.
I write a few truck mag feature articles, these equate to nearly ten thousand dollars worth of free nationwide advertising/positive exposure for the subject of the article. But its still not easy to find the right subject whose willing to be covered/interviewed.

awa355
12th July 2014, 07:19
I think it is marvelous what you have achieved. I would love to have a crack at a challenge like this next year.

My biggest headache would be the fundraising. Guess I'm too reserved to go chasing or asking for money.

Last year I did the Wanganui - Taupo scooter ride in aid of Childrens Cancer. Half my pre ride fundraising came from pledges. After the ride less than half of the pledges came to light. I finished up covering what I had not received from my own ' already empty ' pocket. I'll do the scooter ride next year but will concentrate on collecting donations, rather than promises.

Will follow your progress.

Katiepie
13th July 2014, 00:24
My biggest headache would be the fundraising. Guess I'm too reserved to go chasing or asking for money.

When I saw this ride advertised last year, just after my father had passed, I was so keen to do it. But I was utterly terrified of the fundraising side. I had been cycber bullied to a very dangerous level, had a mental break down from my lack of progress with my recovery, and had to take myself all social media for 12 months to be able to get myself through depression (including Kiwi Biker). I knew then that I would not achieve this challenge until I had found a little confidence again in myself and getting back out there in the world.

So a year on, as soon as registrations opened and I had enough spare in my pay to pay the rider registration, I knew I couldn't hide from the world anymore - I would have to actively fundraise and always remember why I was doing it. With Cancer most of us have been effected by it before in some way, and Cancer Research is a cause that may want to help support. I have ended up with tears coming from my eyes during conversations with strangers who have donated to my ride when they share their story with me. I feel their pain in my heart for all they have been through, and it makes me push myself even harder to try and give back in some small way.

Fundraising has been incredibly good for me to do. This time last year I was terrified of people, the world, didn't believe in myself very much and had terrible self esteem when I lost my dad - one of the two people who pulled me through my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now, I couldn't care less about what people think of me, am not shy in asking people to support the cause if they also believe in it or me, I smile and laugh again every single day and am also beginning to make a few friends again after a very very isolating 2 years. With the more confidence I gain, the greater total I am raising, and the more it can help someone else who is going to need it one day.

A huge amount to have to raise, but you will be surprised with the incredible generosity of people who know that pain that cancer can cause.

Todays new total after a friend raising $320.00 for my ride from a raffle - $4995.80. Just about half way to my goal. So thrilled. Right back to some training tomorrow

husaberg
13th July 2014, 08:48
I have had some very positive feedback after the news paper article and the TV3 news clip about my Ride to Conquer Cancer. Some friends are asking me "why me? Why am I being thrown into the media for this when I am no different to anyone else?". I know, very valid question and I do not have an answer to that. All I know is yes, I am just a normal every day girl, nothing special. But despite what some of these people have thought, I do not approach any media - all media has been directed to me from the Ride to Conquer Cancers organisers. For some reason some people can relate to my story, or aspect of it. There are many people doing this ride who are not confident enough to say yes to media. Many people are being asked to help promote the ride and cause but many are saying no because they are not sure how to be in the public eye.

:) big smiles - Pie
I am pretty sure I have not posted in your Thread before. Quite a few read it but do not post
Katiepie don't worry about the knockers, one things for certain they don't worry about you..........
As for the media, they like someone who can speak eloquently and write well (even with kiwias auceent) :msn-wink:
As For tv, well being kind of a cutiepie doesn't hurt either...... (you can't help that)
So take the knocking and just ignore it as best you can
think of it....... as if it was a pushy salesman or telemarketer don't answer, don't let them in, otherwise you may end up buying into their bullshit..........

400sm
13th July 2014, 20:13
I would love to be involved in a group ride IF it actually could conquer cancer and help OTHERS.
Call me sceptical, but l don't think it can.
You have lost a loved one. You are upset.
Your quest is about healing YOU.
You have made your personal grief public.
I think you need to acknowledge this.

Katiepie
13th July 2014, 20:54
I would love to be involved in a group ride IF it actually could conquer cancer and help OTHERS.
Call me sceptical, but l don't think it can.
You have lost a loved one. You are upset.
Your quest is about healing YOU.
You have made your personal grief public.
I think you need to acknowledge this.

Maybe I actually believe in the work the Auckland Cancer Research Centre does? I have met two people who are Cancer survivors who won their battles from clinical trail drugs released by this centre. One more I have met who is about to start new treatment through them. I never denied I am not getting something out of this myself. But also just trying to do something small to help others.

Of course the ride is not going to Conquer Cancer. But the money raised I guarantee you is going to help save a good few lives. If I didn't believe in the cause personally I wouldn't be doing it. I am meeting a lot of Cancer survivors and patients through this. It sure does make you open your eyes. Not everyone feels that same, and I understand that. But that's just how I feel about. It's not just about treatment or "cures". There is also a hell of a lot of research into genetics and causes. How can we ever learn more about something that will always take so many lives without continued research? Just working hard to support something I believe in.

I have also stated through media a few times that one of my main reasons for doing this is that my father never got to see me well. I wanted to achieve that in his honour, for him, and for me. I know it would have given him much happiness to see me now, compared to where I was when he passed away. I have various reasons for doing this, and I do not expect others to understand them. I am thankful for the support I have received. I raised what I needed to months ago - would be far easier too stop fundraising and just keep training. Problem is I keep meeting these people who are teaching me more about their treatments. So I keep going.

swtfa
13th July 2014, 21:36
Support, for katiepie! Dun!
Go girl.
Great to see you into it and making things happen.
I know you can do it.

Ditto! Donation done :)

Katiepie
11th September 2014, 22:08
Just a quick gentle update for those who have donated (thank you) or are interested and not on facebook.

Only 9 weeks left until the ride. That is both incredibly exciting and scary at the same time.
It's been bloody cold out there training over winter and I get home shaking from cold each time (lost a little too much weight with it all). But starting to warm up and I sure am looking forward to longer days soon.

Someone who was following my progress has also stepped through a huge recovery and lives in chronic pain. The have brought a brand new carbon fibre womens road bike for me as a donation as they felt they could help my body cope better. It's bloody lovely and the extra 6 gears are meaning I can now climb the hills.

Cityfitness gym have stepped in to assist me with my rubbish level of fitness and strength with a 3 month sponsorship. Now training at the gym 4 days a week, and cycling twice a week. I'm a little sleepy now as trying to keep up with my 2 large dogs who live tied up during the days too. It's all go.

Longest ride has been 70km, and pushing for a similar length this weekend.

Current fundraising sitting at $5250.00, with 3 fundraising events in October that should boost that total to 7k.

And my family have just agreed to laying my dad to rest on his birthday the weekend after the ride - scattering his ashes while the 3 of us are all together at home. Much to look forward to - pretty exhausted, much paperwork for fundraising, and a very busy few months at work.

Loving it all, and am so so thankful for all the amazing help and support I am receiving. Will check in closer to the time, but I sure am meeting some incredible people through this, cancer patients, volunteers, survivors, and even researchers. Making it all pretty real and I become more passionate with the more I learn along the way. :)

www.facebook.com/katiepieconquercancer.

Katiepie
3rd October 2014, 14:50
Update for those not following my progress on facebook...

Last weekend I completed my longest ride yet of 82km. For me it was a hell of a push, and I had to lay down with pain for the best part of the next day to get the weight of my head off my neck. But it was worth it to know that I am starting to push myself through greater distances.

As of today, with some amazing donations through this week, I have currently raised $6500 and sit in 4th place for fundraising out of over 600 entrants. I have another 3 fundraising events happening over these next 2 weeks and should raise a further $1500 taking my total up and over the 8k mark.

Pretty excited, pretty exhausted, training 6 days a week and trying to keep up with exercising my large dogs also. But with only 6 weeks to go, it's time to really get stuck in. Tomorrow I will attempt to achieve my first 100km ride. My neck pain from a working week has just kicked into full swing and the beginning of a migraine has started as a result (same time almost every week). So this should be fun to push through tomorrow. Hopefully the wind buggers off so I can just keep pushing.

:) Not long now, working hard to achieve this and support Cancer Research in NZ

caseye
3rd October 2014, 14:57
Thinking of ya and what you are doing and why. No need to wish you luck, you're luck is your own making and I/we are absolutely 100% behind you Katiepie.
Thanks, a lot of people don't ever go on fb, I'm one of em.
Love to hear how you are doing and will be doing all I can for your cause.
You go girl.

Katiepie
16th October 2014, 13:25
Update:

Last weekend I completed a very long and painful 100km ride on my own! I wanted to push through and get past that mental barrier of cracking that number, and I did it. I was so thrilled, knowing just how much I was struggling with 20km 5 months ago. At the 80km mark I burst into tears from the pain levels, and didn't think I could push through as I was struggling to hold my head up. But I made myself keep going and was really happy to get home bang on 101km.

4 weeks to go until the ride, and I am super excited for a few reasons. One, this has been the most incredible challenge both physically and mentally for me. Two, because I look forward to honoring my father and laying him to rest on his Birthday one week after the ride. Three, because I am really proud of the money raised going towards to Research Centre which I personally believe in (we all have the different things we support and believe in - this one is something I honestly do). And lastly, because I can't WAIT to have my life back, get my dogs behavior and routine back on track with much less time tied up on chains and to not have to get up every spare moment I have to train for a wee bit. Plus I think this might just be the best thing I have ever achieved in my life when I complete it, and am so thankful I took the plunge to take this on.

Current funraising total is now $7860.00 - with one more full days BBQ this weekend at Mitre10 so I should be able to push through to just under 8.5k.

Thank you to all of those who have supported me in this, donated, and sent me words of encouragement. I am currently battling hard to keep depression at bay from the issues Im having with my diet, work place bullying and issues with dogs - but I have beaten it once before and know I will be just fine in the end.

I must admit though - I am so bloody exhausted!

But really, really excited.

4 weeks until the Ride of my Life.

Then I can climb back on my dearly missed R6 and feel that freedom once again. :)

R650R
16th October 2014, 16:33
Well done, keep at it. Apologies for not saying hi at the kiwi even though was practically camped next door to you, was quite a busy weekend that went too quickly.
You should speak to your employer about any issues that cant be resolved with 4x2 or hair pulling, they have a legal obligation to do something once notified, sometimes all that's needed is to tweak shifts so two people don't see each other etc.
I've seen one employer ignore another employees requests in a matter like this, it wasn't very good publicity for them when the other nutbar involved ended up pulling out a chainsaw...

Katiepie
27th October 2014, 21:02
Fundraising now sitting at $9200.00 and I'm thrilled to reach that total. So many awesome people helping me in many ways - have found some help with my "damaged" dog during the ride, Z Energy have donated $150 fuel voucher to help me get to Auckland and return, the local bike shop have just servived my awesome new bike for me for free, a bunch of friends have all chipped in to replace the fundraising cash that was stolen when my car was broken into and handbag under seat stolen... I have put the donations through online, but the cash was to go on my credit card. Pretty blown away once again by just how awesome some people can be.

My official ride shirt arrived today and I had a couple of personal touches printed on it. A good old typo on the sleeve with "English as a second language" barrier, but now feel ready for this ride - after working hard for it all year. Can't wait to give my neck a break and get my dogs back on track by spending more time with them. But also can't wait to achieve something I never thought I would be able to do, and something my dad would be pretty proud to see too post accident. :)

Just over 2 weeks to go. Officially excited now :woohoo:

caseye
28th October 2014, 14:08
You never cease to amaze me/us. Keep going Katiepie, you CAN do it. Enjoy the ride, the hard work has been done.
Spelling mistook? wheer!

Katiepie
3rd November 2014, 21:42
Really thrilled to report that I've cracked my $10,000 fundraising goal. Up at $10,320 after some last minute generous donations, and just shy of the 4th place in the top 10 fundraisers for the ride.

Wrapped about that, and very supportive of the work they are doing at the Auckland Cancer Society Research centre. A very exciting drug to be put on trial next year that is a new approached that hasn't been used anywhere in the world yet. And some very positive views on how this might be able to help thousands with hard to reach tumours without weakening the core by peeling off the layers. This one works from the inside out of the tumor and only tackles the infected tissue, not healthy tissue. I hold hope that they continue this awesome work they are going. Too many people waiting for better treatments out there.

Katiepie
17th November 2014, 10:21
Final update...

Over the weekend 561 of us rode the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I raised a final total of $11,430.00 - and together we raised 1.5 million dollars for the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre.

200km over 2 days in some very brutal winds. Best weekend of my life, and my body has come a long was post injuries. Thanks to those of you who supported me and made donations. Back on the motorbike soon :)

swtfa
17th November 2014, 11:13
Final update...

Over the weekend 561 of us rode the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I raised a final total of $11,430.00 - and together we raised 1.5 million dollars for the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre.

You are amazing!!
Well done you!! :)

R650R
17th November 2014, 15:50
Well done.