PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemma. Help!

Thomo84
18th March 2014, 23:34
Okay, so this is a bit of a random subject, but it's really been bugging me lately, and I need the opinion of people who are completely unbiased and honest.
So my dad passed away recently. We weren't on very good terms but for some reason that's completely beyond me he left me this very flashy Rolex watch. My first reaction was of course: great, I can sell it! My wife lost her job recently so we could really do with the cash. The idiot that I am, though, I go and tell my brother about it, and before I know it him and my mum are ganging up on me and insisting that I don't sell the watch but keep it in memory of my dad. Apparently the watch was a prized possession of his, or something like that. Now my relationship with my mum and brother has never been easy, and I feel like I might alienate them completely if I go ahead and sell the watch. But then again, there's also my own family and benefit to consider. I feel like it'd be sentimental to hang on to the watch when my dad and I didn't even get on that well, but at the moment I don't have the guts to go through with it. What shall I do guys? Bite the bullet and sell the damn thing or appease my mum and brother? I'd appreciate your advice.

Gremlin
18th March 2014, 23:57
Who owns it? Owners decision.

MIXONE
19th March 2014, 01:08
Who do you sleep with ay night?

EJK
19th March 2014, 01:12
$1 res it on Trademe.

Big Dog
19th March 2014, 01:24
They may not like it but soon rot later they will come around. Your family is more important than your dads watch.
Or they may even buy it from you if it is so important to them.

But here is the hard part, will you come around? Will you one day regret selling it?

If you have no doubt sell it. Family loves you no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edbear
19th March 2014, 01:56
Tough choice. But do consider the end result. Selling it may help pay a bill for now, but then what? Will it make a big enough difference in the short to medium term that you will be out of your current situation?

Selling goods to pay bills may be necessary at times but it never solves the problem that lead to the crisis. It sounds like more of an issue with your relationship with your father than resolving your financial shortfall.

awa355
19th March 2014, 04:45
Buy a Rolex from the chinese guy at the next Sunday market for $15.00, keep that to appease the family and sell the real McCoy.

Mo NZ
19th March 2014, 05:02
Tough choice. But do consider the end result. Selling it may help pay a bill for now, but then what? Will it make a big enough difference in the short to medium term that you will be out of your current situation?

Edbear and I seem to be on the same page here.
How about a discussion with your mother and brother. You may be able to work out a way where the watch stays in the family.
Selling a watch for a few thousand will only buy some breathing space for a short time.
I would get some budget advice for the immediate future and start looking at long term goals and solutions on how to achieve them.

unstuck
19th March 2014, 05:13
You sir, need some testicles. Morals are for pussies.:Punk::Punk:

JimO
19th March 2014, 05:46
he obviously thought enough of you for him to want you to have it, looks like he was wrong

avgas
19th March 2014, 05:58
Your dad gave it to you because you need it. That is all you need to know.

How you need it doesn't matter. If you need it to sell to get your next meal - might be the case. After-all a rolex to a poor guy is like encyclopedia Britannica to a blind man. Your dad knew you would need it.

But I would recommend that if you going to sell it. Find somewhere you can do a buy back. If you don't need the cash - don't sell it. Family Heirlooms are rare and precious.........you won't realize it, but someday you will want to give your kids something.

I am sure your dad would be happy with you eating a meal, than wearing a rolex.

Akzle
19th March 2014, 07:33
mmm. Cash asset.
Do you wear a watch?
I used to, but i have a tendency to break things with my arms and hands, and a watch often gets in the way.
Obviously was not discussed prior to death...
Sounds like your brother is a bitch, too. Get him some non-sandy manpons.
I think the comment about mum buying it off you is fair enough.
Its all crap, what its value to YOU is what matters here. If i inherit (or gifted) shit i dont want i get rid of it.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 08:01
Okay, so this is a bit of a random subject, but it's really been bugging me lately, and I need the opinion of people who are completely unbiased and honest.
So my dad passed away recently. We weren't on very good terms but for some reason that's completely beyond me he left me this very flashy Rolex watch. My first reaction was of course: great, I can sell it! My wife lost her job recently so we could really do with the cash. The idiot that I am, though, I go and tell my brother about it, and before I know it him and my mum are ganging up on me and insisting that I don't sell the watch but keep it in memory of my dad. Apparently the watch was a prized possession of his, or something like that. Now my relationship with my mum and brother has never been easy, and I feel like I might alienate them completely if I go ahead and sell the watch. But then again, there's also my own family and benefit to consider. I feel like it'd be sentimental to hang on to the watch when my dad and I didn't even get on that well, but at the moment I don't have the guts to go through with it. What shall I do guys? Bite the bullet and sell the damn thing or appease my mum and brother? I'd appreciate your advice.

You've heard the saying "Where there is a Will there is a relative"? Its pretty common among lawyers.

Fuck them. Its yours and your decision. And if you need the money to buy groceries or whatever then your family comes first.

The only downside I can see is if Mum spits the dummy and cuts you out of her Will. In which case you can have a crack at contesting it, which will almost certainly be settled because they are rarely litigated, and when they are, generally the estate bears the costs. Ka ching! Every ones a winner baby.

Pity its a Rolex: if it was a good Omega I would make you an offer.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 08:02
mmm. Cash asset.
Do you wear a watch?
I used to, but i have a tendency to break things with my arms and hands, and a watch often gets in the way.
Obviously was not discussed prior to death...
Sounds like your brother is a bitch, too. Get him some non-sandy manpons.
I think the comment about mum buying it off you is fair enough.
Its all crap, what its value to YOU is what matters here. If i inherit (or gifted) shit i dont want i get rid of it.

upvote for "non-sandy manpons"

LOLOL

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 08:03
Family loves you no matter what.

Not every one lives in an episode of THE WALTONS, John-boy.

Tazz
19th March 2014, 08:10
Do you have kids? They have more of an attachment to your parents things than you do as a rule. See what they say.

F5 Dave
19th March 2014, 08:26
At teh end of the day with counterfeits aplenty about the place, how much do you think you'd get for it? Who would buy one? Too much risk you'd get sold a fake & besides new is new, 2nd hand is 2nd hand.

You might be beating yourself up for $50.

george formby
19th March 2014, 08:31
Do you have kids? They have more of an attachment to your parents things than you do as a rule. See what they say.

Tha's what I was thinking. What happens if you keep the watch to keep the fambly onside? Sit's in a draw for decades until the next bereavement.
Sell the kids, they will lose value over time.

Katman
19th March 2014, 08:33
Show some degree of honour and integrity.

Give it to your brother or mother.

gijoe1313
19th March 2014, 08:40
Remember that classic part from Pulp Fiction where Christopher Walken played that returning vet with his father's watch? Lots of good advice given here, if you got a son then that'll be something you can pass onto him (or daughter if she wants to wear it!) A direct connection with their grandfather. My father still kept his expensive watches (Omegas as well funnily enough) and said he wanted my brother and I to inherit them, they were given to him by my grandfather (who we never knew since he passed away before I was born).

Keep it, clean it and pass it on. True, most material things are transient, but things that actually have a direct family connection bound with other family feelings have a greater, intangible worth.

But, what do I know? I'm not walking in your shoes, listen to your heart and it'll tell you what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

TheDemonLord
19th March 2014, 08:43
Imo - Don't sell it.

Selling items is a short term solution to a longer term problem.

T.W.R
19th March 2014, 08:50
Faced the same issue 23yrs ago when my father died, left with his rolex and the problem of what to do with it. Knew the times I'd wear it would be few & far between and to have an item of that value sitting unused seemed a bit silly when the cash could have been helpful.
Mused over what to do for ages
Got the watch appraised at a jeweller, value to sell was $4500 but replacement value would be nearly $11K, the jeweller stated that because I also had the original certification papers that came with the watch help cement a solid value.
Needless to say the watch is still tucked away safely and has only been worn maybe 4-5 times.
The big thing to remember is once something like that has gone it can't be replaced, don't act on haste, and only sell if the shit really hits the fan.

mashman
19th March 2014, 08:54
Aren't you supposed to take out a loan by using your assets as collateral? Sell the watch, if the family want to be that petty, see if you can get a good price for them too.

tigertim20
19th March 2014, 09:00
if you kept everything anyone ever gave you for the sake of memories, your house would be full of shit you no longer want, need, or use.

Big Dog
19th March 2014, 09:01
Not every one lives in an episode of THE WALTONS, John-boy.

True that. Personally there were members of my family who failed the Walton test. Ergo they were never really family.

When it comes to matters of family or the heart those that matter do not mind and those that mind do not matter.

Big Dog
19th March 2014, 09:03
if you kept everything anyone ever gave you for the sake of memories, your house would be full of shit you no longer want, need, or use.
Amen. Some people still have their preschool valentines stashed away.

oldrider
19th March 2014, 09:05
The hardest thing for a father to do is to tell his kids how much he loves them!

The watch he gave you was his way of doing that!

The important thing was the message, the watch was simply a method of convience of the message.

What you do with the watch now is imaterial but what you do with the message is completely up to you.

It will help you deal with your own relationship with your own children as well as between you and your father. Best of luck with that!

nodrog
19th March 2014, 09:16
What should you do? How about talking to people in real life, not a bunch of tools on the internets.

Fucksake have i logged onto www.jeremykyle.co.wank by mistake?

mashman
19th March 2014, 09:18
What should you do? How about talking to people in real life, not a bunch of tools on the internets.

Fucksake have i logged onto www.jeremykyle.co.wank by mistake?

Broken link bro.

unstuck
19th March 2014, 09:26
The hardest thing for a father to do is to tell his kids how much he loves them!

Not this father, I tell them all the time. Even add little x0x0x0x0x0x when I text them. But my kids are awesome.:2thumbsup

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 09:35
At teh end of the day with counterfeits aplenty about the place, how much do you think you'd get for it? Who would buy one? Too much risk you'd get sold a fake & besides new is new, 2nd hand is 2nd hand.

You might be beating yourself up for $50.

You don't know much about male fetishes and expensive watches. Seriously, its a thing. I am a bit afflicted.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 09:37

and then its a fucking nightmare if you ever have to shift. Going thru that presently

mashman
19th March 2014, 09:44
You don't know much about male fetishes and expensive watches. Seriously, its a thing. I am a bit afflicted.

You ticked that box, ha. I should be alarmed, but on the other hand...

F5 Dave
19th March 2014, 10:07

Ahh yer full of it

. . .
Got the watch appraised at a jeweller, value to sell was $4500 but replacement value would be nearly $11K, the jeweller stated that because I also had the original certification papers that came with the watch help cement a solid value.
. . ..

Oops, nope, it appears it's me that's full of it. Seriously? Wonder if that's changed?

hey it would be a laugh if it was a fake huh? Actually sorry, maybe that's insensitive.

Anyway, hope your missus finds more work soon.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 10:22
Ahh yer full of it

often true. but not about this.

Oops, nope, it appears it's me that's full of it. Seriously? Wonder if that's changed?

hey it would be a laugh if it was a fake huh? Actually sorry, maybe that's insensitive.

Anyway, hope your missus finds more work soon.

If it has been appraised by someone (and particularly if it has the box, papers and whatnot - stuff like the original strap with all the links) then it is very unlikely to be a fake.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardnalley/2012/11/21/the-best-watches-under-10000/

how about this bad boy?

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/van-cleef-arpels-van-der-klaauw-midnight-planetarium

that price is not a misprint. And its not even the most expensive watch I have heard of, nor the one with the most complications.

I am a big fan of Christopher Ward watches as a balance of looks, quality, price and performance.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/

This, IMO, is the coolest watch ever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

anyway: OT: OP should tell us what sort of Rolex it is.

T.W.R
19th March 2014, 11:00

hey it would be a laugh if it was a fake huh?

It was 20 odd years ago it was appraised so who knows, increase or decrease I don't really care...at least I've still got it

A mate brought a supposedly Rolex whilst on holiday in Singapore a few years back, got home and was flashing it about thinking he was king big....one night over a few beers asked him if it had all it's certification papers to which he replied nah just reciept & box, so I showed him my rolex & it's papers....sort of burst his bubble a bit

F5 Dave
19th March 2014, 11:25
Mmm, 5 grand

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-707870669.htm

Akzle
19th March 2014, 13:26
you never made an offer for my breitling, lawyerjew.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 13:53
you never made an offer for my breitling, lawyerjew.

Not really my thing but if it is genuine and reasonably priced I might be interested. A tenner and some Salt & Vinegar?

I must live up to my (presumed) Hassidic stereotype so make it $8 to start. We're negotiating....

Akzle
19th March 2014, 16:12
Not really my thing but if it is genuine and reasonably priced I might be interested. A tenner and some Salt & Vinegar?

I must live up to my (presumed) Hassidic stereotype so make it $8 to start. We're negotiating....

you got one digit correct! Now guess the rest!

__ 8 __ __ __ . __ __

giz the chips and ill let ya look at it...
Its been on my right wrist, so it should be about wound until the year 2236...

imdying
19th March 2014, 16:32
Got any pics? What do you want for it?

Big Dave
19th March 2014, 16:43
http://mrzip66.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/easy-rider-ballarat.jpg

swbarnett
22nd March 2014, 08:02
Ask them to buy it off you if they want it kept in the family so bad.