PDA

View Full Version : Speed and tolerance

rastuscat
19th March 2014, 08:50
I'm training a couple of cops on how to use radars. We've done about 10 hours of practical training so far, 10 to go.

In the 10 hours so far we've written 7 tickets. We've driven past hundreds of vehicles, probably thousands. Open road and city.

The guy we just dealt with tells me everyone does it. Well, based on the last 10 hours, he's in the top 0.1%.

Same old self justification. Tripe.

Donuts.

Edbear
19th March 2014, 09:01
Ha ha! What "everyone" does, is sit well below the speed limit in inconvenient positions, like the right hand lane for example, while talking on their cell-phones and braking heavily for a Cop car on the other side of the motorway. :laugh:

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 09:22
I'm training a couple of cops on how to use radars. We've done about 10 hours of practical training so far, 10 to go.

In the 10 hours so far we've written 7 tickets. We've driven past hundreds of vehicles, probably thousands. Open road and city.

The guy we just dealt with tells me everyone does it. Well, based on the last 10 hours, he's in the top 0.1%.

Donuts.

If you want to do something useful with a radar gun then go and start ticketing the people who hoon through the 30kmh zones tailgating anyone doing less than 50kmh.

Otherwise, go and solve some real driving offences like people driving on the wrong side of the road around blind corners.

MVnut
19th March 2014, 09:32
My pet hate is people who don't stop at ComStops....if you targeted Shands Rd between Marshs and Selwyn you could fund the National Dept. I did a number of 'surveys' there just for personal reasons over a number of days and over 95% of people do not stop at the ComStop if they have a look and nothing is coming

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 09:36
My pet hate is people who don't stop at ComStops....if you targeted Shands Rd between Marshs and Selwyn you could fund the National Dept. I did a number of 'surveys' there just for personal reasons over a number of days and over 95% of people do not stop at the ComStop if they have a look and nothing is coming

+1 to this.

george formby
19th March 2014, 09:39
That is a nationwide habit. The risk of getting tail ended is huge, vehicle behind is already checking the road is clear & goes straight up yer chuff. Even our local tarmac officers are guilty of it which is a worry seeing as they regularly target the stop junction they have just rolled through.

20 hours to use a radar? Must be strategy training in der, too.

MVnut
19th March 2014, 09:45
That is a nationwide habit. The risk of getting tail ended is huge, vehicle behind is already checking the road is clear & goes straight up yer chuff. Even our local tarmac officers are guilty of it which is a worry seeing as they regularly target the stop junction they have just rolled through.

I don't actually believe this but if I have someone close when I come to a ComStop I make sure I make eye contact in my mirror (and try and look as evil as possible). I have Always stopped at ComStops and always will unless I am sure someone is going to hit me....it hasn't happened yet....mind you I'm only up to about 3 million kays :woohoo:

bogan
19th March 2014, 09:46

Rigorous muscle memory training an testing to ensure the radar gun is not mixed up with the 9mm :whistle:

george formby
19th March 2014, 10:15
I don't actually believe this but if I have someone close when I come to a ComStop I make sure I make eye contact in my mirror (and try and look as evil as possible). I have Always stopped at ComStops and always will unless I am sure someone is going to hit me....it hasn't happened yet....mind you I'm only up to about 3 million kays :woohoo:

Oh, t'is true, every word. If someone is up me chuff I brake slowly & early so we both reach the intersection at stuff all kmh. Seems to work. A mate was knocked off twice at said junction, no harm done, though. Just a push, tumble & SMIDSY. He ended up resorting to hi viz. Then moved elsewhere so I can't comment on the new jacket.
Gotta be pro active nowadays.

TheDemonLord
19th March 2014, 10:22
If you want to do something useful with a radar gun then go and start ticketing the people who hoon through the 30kmh zones tailgating anyone doing less than 50kmh.

Otherwise, go and solve some real driving offences like people driving on the wrong side of the road around blind corners.

Would also be nice if they targeted people doing 30 in a 50 zone for no reason - same with people doing 80 on the open road for no reason

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 10:24
Would also be nice if they targeted people doing 30 in a 50 zone for no reason - same with people doing 80 on the open road for no reason

I agree. ;)

BigAl
19th March 2014, 10:45
Red light runners, there's the problem.

See it every day and must be so easy to put a fixed camera in, but may be not enough revenue in it.

Fiddy40
19th March 2014, 11:09

Talking of COM STOPS the one at the North end of the service road starting at the lights on Te Rapa and Garnett Ave, the stop sign is at the other end on Sir Tristram Ave and Te Rapa, I watched a group of riders from a very very well know motorcycle club ride straight through, not one stopped they just followed each other, all wearing their orange vests, what a lot of good that did.

Swoop
19th March 2014, 11:15

See it every day and must be so easy to put a fixed camera in, but may be not enough revenue in it.
Why do that?
The wheel turner's (they cannot be called a "driver"... just a steering wheel turner) get to know where the red light cameras are.

The simplest solution is random enforcement of the red light. A 12g shotgun with solid slugs would be perfect. Watch red light running stop overnight if that was brought in.

kiwi cowboy
19th March 2014, 11:20

I've had a cop do this one day up my way but he past me on the other side of the road as I was just stopped at the line and just blew through the stop sign completely:yes:

Scuba_Steve
19th March 2014, 12:09

Donuts.

Yep you're gonna have to explain to me again how endangering the lives of road users & increasing the risk of accidents is improving "safety"

Vodka.

slofox
19th March 2014, 12:55

I actually videoed a local compulsory stop for 15 minutes one morning. Only two of the cars that went through bothered to actually stop and one of those had to because of oncoming traffic. Offered to show the results to the local cops. No interest. Funnily enough. So I sent it to the local newspaper. They stuck it on their website. No further interest there either.

May as well make all compulsory stops into give way signs.

HenryDorsetCase
19th March 2014, 13:02
can you guys sell me some speed? My tolerance seems to have increased and I don't get the same oomph out of it than I used to.

IkieBikie
19th March 2014, 14:09
I actually videoed a local compulsory stop for 15 minutes one morning. Only two of the cars that went through bothered to actually stop and one of those had to because of oncoming traffic. Offered to show the results to the local cops. No interest. Funnily enough. So I sent it to the local newspaper. They stuck it on their website. No further interest there either.

Come on Slofox remember 3 years ago when a coppa ticketed 3 LOR riders for not putting their foot down at a stop sign. On the way to Child Cancer Toyrun

swarfie
19th March 2014, 14:20
Come on Slofox remember 3 years ago when a coppa ticketed 3 LOR riders for not putting their foot down at a stop sign. On the way to Child Cancer Toyrun

Yeah some local cop stopped me once years ago for not putting my foot down at a ComStop. I asked him if it was compulsory for car drivers to open their door and put their foot on the road as well? I also asked him where in the road code it said you had to get your foot on the road.. Only tells you to stop in such a position that you can see if there's no traffic coming before proceeding...or some such words. Plonker

george formby
19th March 2014, 15:08
Yeah some local cop stopped me once years ago for not putting my foot down at a ComStop. I asked him if it was compulsory for car drivers to open their door and put their foot on the road as well? I also asked him where in the road code it said you had to get your foot on the road.. Only tells you to stop in such a position that you can see if there's no traffic coming before proceeding...or some such words. Plonker

:crazy:I quite often do the feet up stop at junctions, proper stop, too. None of this rolling nonsense. Prolly get done for reckless & failure to stop.

Norra lorra speed or tolerance in this thread so far. Have another crack at it Rastus, staying on topic compulsory.

Nobody has mentioned speeding up on passing lanes yet. Starter for 10? That's my fav gripe at the mo. Spend weeks following at <80kmh & whoa, passing lane, they hoof it to >110kmh. Rips my nightie no end.

MVnut
19th March 2014, 15:16
:crazy:I quite often do the feet up stop at junctions, proper stop, too. None of this rolling nonsense. Prolly get done for reckless & failure to stop.

Norra lorra speed or tolerance in this thread so far. Have another crack at it Rastus, staying on topic compulsory.

Nobody has mentioned speeding up on passing lanes yet. Starter for 10? That's my fav gripe at the mo. Spend weeks following at <80kmh & whoa, passing lane, they hoof it to >110kmh. Rips my nightie no end.

........or the fact that speed is not the real issue....it's more about traffic flow and courtesy to other users. I ride to survive (and enjoy) and if I make an overtake I get it done quickly and efficiently spending as little time on the wrong side of the road as possible (basically this means I usually break the speed limit during the overtake, which I know is an offence.....and if 'Rastus' tickets me for this so be it. ) Touch wood, still ticket (and prang) free after over 40 years and a lot of kays

swbarnett
19th March 2014, 15:26
if they have a look and nothing is coming
Then what's the problem? Sounds to me like this spot should be a give way.

swbarnett
19th March 2014, 15:33
YES! I've yet to find a compulsory stop where I had to actually stop to see enough to proceed safely.

Jay GTI
19th March 2014, 15:35

Donuts.

You're blatantly doing it wrong then, you'll never get your wonderful message across that way. Go find the bottom of a nice hill with a blind corner to wait around.

Not everyboby speeds all the time, but they will at some point during their journey. It's up to you to find those special locations where the likelyhood of marginal speeding is high enough to help you meet your donut quota and really teach those dangerous bastards a lesson. You should know this by now.

Failing that, lower the threshold, that would make it easier for you, you won't have to travel so far to get to the money and it's harder for the crims to remember where you like to park.

MVnut
19th March 2014, 15:49
You're blatantly doing it wrong then, you'll never get your wonderful message across that way. Go find the bottom of a nice hill with a blind corner to wait around.

Not everyboby speeds all the time, but they will at some point during their journey. It's up to you to find those special locations where the likelyhood of marginal speeding is high enough to help you meet your donut quota and really teach those dangerous bastards a lesson. You should know this by now.

Failing that, lower the threshold, that would make it easier for you, you won't have to travel so far to get to the money and it's harder for the crims to remember where you like to park.

You're even more sarcastic than me !!! in all honesty I think cops have a difficult job and most (but certainly not all) do an admirable job. Also the cop on the beat (car) doesn't make policy, merely enforces (hopefully using their brain as to the best recourse). I did have a major run in with the local plod over a firearm incident about 10 years ago where a neighbour had hired some fuckwit to shoot rabbits and he nearly shot my daughter (bullet hit her KTM as she was riding)....the local copper did SFA, I was tempted to take the law into my own hands

george formby
19th March 2014, 15:50
........or the fact that speed is not the real issue....it's more about traffic flow and courtesy to other users. I ride to survive (and enjoy) and if I make an overtake I get it done quickly and efficiently spending as little time on the wrong side of the road as possible (basically this means I usually break the speed limit during the overtake, which I know is an offence.....and if 'Rastus' tickets me for this so be it. ) Touch wood, still ticket (and prang) free after over 40 years and a lot of kays

Guilty as charged, too. If it's safe to do so & not the usual snooker game I would rather just have them in my mirrors than be stuck in a slowly fuming queue worried about front and back.

YES! I've yet to find a compulsory stop where I had to actually stop to see enough to proceed safely.

Gotta a couple up here. Both with a blind crest to your left, one is a crossroads with a slow vehicle bay on the hill , it's 100kmh going to 70kmh at the brow of the hill / crossroads/ stop junction. Slow vehicle bay coming up the hill to your right, too. Not a place for glancing. The speed limits are most definitely just a suggestion. Somebody has to get to the front at any cost! It's quite common to have that somebody going through the junction at 120+ from either direction.

Akzle
19th March 2014, 16:38

Donuts.

fuck everyone else. I go fast. Whos fuken business is it?

Akzle
19th March 2014, 16:41

and how many problems does it cause? Asides from twisting your nipples?
Fuckall? Maybe it should be a give way instead.

Akzle
19th March 2014, 16:44
Rigorous muscle memory training an testing to ensure the radar gun is not mixed up with the 9mm :whistle:

fuck, if only they were as accurate with bullets as lasers.
I think they learn to twitch at *just the right time, so 104 becomes 114.

Akzle
19th March 2014, 16:52

yeah this. These dicks fuck me right off.
I make a point of pointing. Laughing and clapping if the end up queued and impeeding traffic. Sometimes honk and wave for maximum embarasment to them.

Usually women in suvs.

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 16:54
can you guys sell me some speed? My tolerance seems to have increased and I don't get the same oomph out of it than I used to.

I'm having a hard time getting hold of some too.

george formby
19th March 2014, 17:01
Usually women in suvs.

Could be trannies.
Or Georgina wots her chops. One step removed from a trannie.
Just sayin.

george formby
19th March 2014, 17:02
I'm having a hard time getting hold of some tool.

:eek5:Crikey. Man on a mission.

rastuscat
19th March 2014, 17:25
Yep you're gonna have to explain to me again how endangering the lives of road users & increasing the risk of accidents is improving "safety"

Vodka.

Instead of bouncing esnails about how about we sit and have a beer and sort out our differences

rastuscat
19th March 2014, 17:34
Silly me.

I should never put speed and tolerance in a thread. Too much discussion with bugger all agreement.

It might interest some to hear that 3 years ago I wrote a paper on removing most comp stops, coz nobody stops anyway. I wanted them replaced with Give Ways. That we we could enforce the shit out of the remaining comp stops, the ones that need it, and the rest would be sorted out after the crashes happened. It got as far as the local council, who smiled and that was it.

The rationale behind comp stops is that people occasionally fail to see something before driving out in front of it. If someone stops, that gives them a greater chance to see the thing that is coming.

Now, I know that few will accept that they can fail to see something that is clearly visible, but it happens every day.

Because nobody thinks they are fallible, we fail to understand the stop sign rationale.

Just my few cents on it. Happy to spend hours outlining theory and practice on it, bloody pointless exercise that would be tho. It's not going to change.

Berries
19th March 2014, 17:40
95% would suggest the stop sign is BS, like many.

Akzle
19th March 2014, 17:42
Instead of bouncing esnails about how about we sit and have a beer and sort out our differences

id happily sit down and blase a fat cone with you. Then go for a skid on the bikes. You can put the disco on and we can fang it at 105 everywhere!

MVnut
19th March 2014, 17:42
True Rastus, not every ComStop needs to be one, but if they are then folk should stop. A lot of accidents in the stretch of road I mentioned, and many close calls.....the other day I saw a truck go left into Shands Rd from Selwyn Rd thru the Stop at maybe 20+k......no way he could have been sure if it was safe or not. Sure enough he missed (couldn't care less about) a black VW driving up Shands at 100k, very close call

MVnut
19th March 2014, 17:43
95% would suggest the stop sign is BS, like many.

In most of these intersections I mentioned....95% of people would be wrong !

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 17:46
It might interest some to hear that 3 years ago I wrote a paper on removing most comp stops, coz nobody stops anyway.

I always come to a complete stop at stop signs, and look both ways, sometimes several times just to be on the safe side.

id happily sit down and blase a fat cone with you. Then go for a skid on the bikes. You can put the disco on and we can fang it at 105 everywhere!

It won't be a comfortable ride with handcuffs on in the back of a Commodore while your bike is on a tow truck.

Berries
19th March 2014, 17:47
The rationale behind comp stops is that people occasionally fail to see something before driving out in front of it. If someone stops, that gives them a greater chance to see the thing that is coming.
The rationale is that it should be a stop control only if certain visibility criteria are met. When they aren't you get people ignoring them. In the end it requires enforcement to get compliance but you still have a BS stop control and you cannot enforce the intersection 24 hours a day. Often put in as a cheap fix after a crash it doesn't really help in the long run, just lessens the impact of the 'true' stop controls.

I'd agree with what you proposed years ago. Give way actually means give way so there really is no need for stop controls anywhere.

In most of these intersections I mentioned....95% of people would be wrong !
Did they all crash?

george formby
19th March 2014, 18:16
The rationale is that it should be a stop control only if certain visibility criteria are met. When they aren't you get people ignoring them. In the end it requires enforcement to get compliance but you still have a BS stop control and you cannot enforce the intersection 24 hours a day. Often put in as a cheap fix after a crash it doesn't really help in the long run, just lessens the impact of the 'true' stop controls.

I'd agree with what you proposed years ago. Give way actually means give way so there really is no need for stop controls anywhere.

Did they all crash?

No stop controls? SMIDSY? Bit of a sweeping statement. But, yeah, nah, yeah. I fail to see the issue with "stop". It's not rocket science, yellow paint is more expensive and I can afford to spend an extra 4 or 5 seconds on my trip to make sure I get home in one piece if it's pointed out to me with signs & said yellow paint that the junction can be dangerous. Enforcement? Let common sense prevail.

MVnut
19th March 2014, 18:23
Did they all crash?

Grow up Berries, you are in Dunners, probably have no idea what intersections I'm referring to

MVnut
19th March 2014, 18:26
yellow paint is more expensive .

....yeah and an Ozzie company gets all our road marking contracts (some they subbie out of course), getting paid per metre (they even get paid to paint 'the gaps' what a rort

schrodingers cat
19th March 2014, 18:52
Living here in ChCh my tolerance for road works has dropped considerably. Specifically sections waiting for who knows what.
I totally agree that when people are working then the 30kph limit is spot on.
Section after section of road littered with cones and shit is painful

BigAl
19th March 2014, 18:59
.... (they even get paid to paint 'the gaps' what a rort

Ummmm, wouldn't mind knowing how you 'paint a gap'

MVnut
19th March 2014, 19:06
Ummmm, wouldn't mind knowing how you 'paint a gap'

they get paid by the metre and the price is worked out according to the price of paint......so when there are gaps ie not a continuous line, they get paid to paint even where there is no paint. Hence I call it getting paid to 'paint' the gaps

Scuba_Steve
19th March 2014, 19:13

If I'm ever done that way then sure, would love to. Might even be able to have you see the error of your view, tho a slim chance I'm sure.
Oh & lets make it something with alcohol in it, maybee vodka & donuts :msn-wink:

That's all well & good until they become the "boy who cried wolf" (like alot of road "safety" nowadays) too much of anything sees people ignoring it; stop sign runners, red light runners, yellow line crosses, temp sign ignorers
The people in charge of the roads really need to go back & learn that old tale, & probably best if they learnt about roads & traffic too.

Obviously not aimed at you, you at-least seem to understand too much is a bad thing hence your submission to council.

Magnum Noel
19th March 2014, 19:19

I think this rips every-ones nightie. I've come to the conclusion that they don't actually realise that they are doing it. Their brain registers a wider path ahead and the foot goes down on the pedal until that path closes and they have very little room to drive their Yarris without hitting on coming traffic or road side markers. After much thought its the only reason I can think of.

scumdog
19th March 2014, 19:23
Because nobody thinks they are fallible, we fail to understand the stop sign rationale.

The crux of the matter!

Hmm, one of the 'bad' intersections for crashes in town here is controlled by a Stop sign.

Yet I've seen camper vans (and others) go straight through the intersection at 50 odd kph like they have the right-of-way...:blink::pinch::facepalm:

SMOKEU
19th March 2014, 19:28
Yet I've seen camper vans (and others) go straight through the intersection at 50 odd kph like they have the right-of-way...:blink::pinch::facepalm:

I hope you charged them with every single offence possible, and tried to get them screwed over by the courts as best you could.

swbarnett
19th March 2014, 19:29
Gotta a couple up here. Both with a blind crest to your left, one is a crossroads with a slow vehicle bay on the hill , it's 100kmh going to 70kmh at the brow of the hill / crossroads/ stop junction. Slow vehicle bay coming up the hill to your right, too. Not a place for glancing. The speed limits are most definitely just a suggestion. Somebody has to get to the front at any cost! It's quite common to have that somebody going through the junction at 120+ from either direction.
I have thought of one near me (cnr Harrisville and Buckland Rds near Tuakau for those that want to look it up) that does require a full stop to be totally safe as the crossroad has a dip on both sides and you really have to wait a few seconds to make sure noone's hiding. So yeah, there may be a few but the vast majority should be give ways.

swbarnett
19th March 2014, 19:35
I wanted them replaced with Give Ways. That we we could enforce the shit out of the remaining comp stops, the ones that need it, and the rest would be sorted out after the crashes happened. It got as far as the local council, who smiled and that was it.
Unsurprising really. This is just far too sensible for a politician to get behind.

Berries
19th March 2014, 22:25
Grow up Berries, you are in Dunners, probably have no idea what intersections I'm referring to
I actually Googled the Shands/Marsh intersection earlier and thought yeah, I probably wouldn't come to a complete stop if I was turning left on to the main road there either. Looks to me like your standard rural cross roads with misleading power lines running across the main road. I suspect it was give way controlled once and they had crashes so they built the islands on the side roads to stick more give way signs up. And then they still had crashes so went to stop signs. And guess what, people are surprised that they still have crashes. To solve the problem you improve the visibility by removing the trees, reduce the visibility to make sure people do slow right down or you do the decent thing and throw lots of dollars at it, if it really is a problem. I'll gaze in to a crystal ball and say that if you continue to have crashes there you will get some flashing signs next and then a lower speed limit. And still get crashes.

My problem is the enforcement of bullshit stop controls. You know the ones (well you might not, but the the other 95% might), the ones that get enforced the most for the very fact that they are bullshit and people ignore them. Failing to stop at a stop sign is not a crash causing offence. Failing to give way at any intersection is. Anybody who fails to give way at an intersection, whether stop, give way or uncontrolled, and causes another person on the main road to deviate their path or their speed should get 50 demerits. Full stop. Then you can leave the arguments about whether a person completely stopped their wheels turning or put both their feet down or whatever and concentrate on reducing crashes and improving driver behaviour rather than just issuing tickets and raising money with no measurable safety benefits. It may give the Police some kudos as well, rather than the flak they face enforcing this crap at intersections that don't deserve it.

rastuscat
20th March 2014, 10:08
I have shares in a large finance company that owns all the motorcycle boot manufacturers.

I want everyone riding a bike to stop at stop signs so they wear their boots out quicker.

Yawn. Back to the grind.

Erelyes
20th March 2014, 10:41

Rastus, observing two lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction, would you pull over
A) A car doing 90 in the 'fast' lane when the 'slow' lane is free
B) A car that, after travelling behind the above vehicle for a short while, passes at 110 in the 'slow' lane
C) Meh?

R650R
20th March 2014, 16:48
I find it quite amusing when people want others to absolutely obey certain road rules while disregarding many themselves.
I always stop at stop signs and red lights when safe to do so but there was a time when at certain juctions at night in the truck it was free for all.
Then one day a memo came out to the company that the cops were going to start enforcing red lights at night. This was back in the days of rocking down SH27 at XXX km'h in truck with bulging curtains and the cops would just blip lights to slow down, no tickets...
Stopping doesn't guarantee that someone has looked properly and that is a bigger problem especially at our local deathtrap by Napier airport. The number of times I've come through there, seen someone do proper stop, but not look properly then pull out... you get a feel (touchwood) for the type of driver that does it after awhile and expect it in a defensive manner.

Intersection design abortion 1 https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.4747882,176.8779163,419m/data=!3m1!1e3

Intersection design abortion 2 https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.5614222,176.854337,419m/data=!3m1!1e3

BTW the local Hastings council has randomly dropped the speed limit on many perfectly good roads to 80k so be aware if visiting...

T.W.R
20th March 2014, 17:16
I have shares in a large finance company that owns all the motorcycle boot manufacturers.

I want everyone riding a bike to stop at stop signs so they wear their boots out quicker.

Yawn. Back to the grind.

You'll only get that from the chumps that drag their feet when taking off from a stop ;)

Akzle
20th March 2014, 17:40
BTW the local Hastings council has randomly dropped the speed limit on many perfectly good roads to 80k so be aware if visiting...

hahahahaha.
Thats a 'safer speed'.

At leas thats what the big signs say on the 3 LANES WIDE, STRAIGHT AS FUCKERY road south of auckland, heading east.
Safe. Lol.
Ban townies from owning or using vehicles. Problem fucking solved.

george formby
20th March 2014, 17:44
I think this rips every-ones nightie. I've come to the conclusion that they don't actually realise that they are doing it. Their brain registers a wider path ahead and the foot goes down on the pedal until that path closes and they have very little room to drive their Yarris without hitting on coming traffic or road side markers. After much thought its the only reason I can think of.

I agree. I get the impression that most of the dumbness on the road is due to thoughtlessness & habitual driving/riding. The lazy habits don't register.
Overall I think there are very few true dickheads but plenty of empty heads.

R650R
21st March 2014, 11:22
Orange light runner, 100 demerits in one go, ouchiessss....... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bcd_1384118756&comments=1

Erelyes
22nd March 2014, 07:52
Orange light runner, 100 demerits in one go, ouchiessss....... http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bcd_1384118756&comments=1

Riding a bike at 84 clicks in a 50, through an orange, without a plate on.... on your learners/restricted... that dude was setting himself up to fail, family member injuries or no.

Interesting how in the vid text he says he was enroute to hospital yet I heard no mention of this to the ossifer.

rastuscat
23rd March 2014, 13:33
Rastus, observing two lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction, would you pull over
A) A car doing 90 in the 'fast' lane when the 'slow' lane is free
B) A car that, after travelling behind the above vehicle for a short while, passes at 110 in the 'slow' lane
C) Meh?

The guy doing 90 in the fast lane probably has a speedo telling him he is doing 96.

Wouldn't stop any of them. Really. Sometimes it's better to let people sort their own shit out. It's called be grown up.

rastuscat
23rd March 2014, 13:38

Interesting take on a totally incorrect assumption.

NZTA doesn't register all demerits from each stop. They register the highest number, and call it a day at that. You only get one lot of demerits from an individual stop.

Still, never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

haydes55
23rd March 2014, 13:47

Well why should people stop? If I can see 200m either direction is clear, why would I have to stop. Give way to casper? Or legislate so even simple fred can drive?

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 13:54
I have an idea. Set up HD video cameras at certain intersections, maybe on a power pole or traffic light pole. Pay a non sworn officer minimum wage to sit there and watch the footage all day. For each offence that results in a conviction, pay them a commission. For each offence that results in an infringement notice, pay them a smaller commission. For an offence that is minor, but not bad enough to give an infringement notice, send the registered owner a warning letter outlining what they've done wrong and not to do it again.

By paying someone a commission to watch the footage, you can be assured that they will want to catch the offenders since there's something in it for them. Since there will be camera footage, a sworn officer can watch the footage before deciding if or what to charge the offender with. Video camera footage doesn't lie either, so the offender can't really argue in court that they did nothing wrong if the camera footage shows otherwise.

Yes I know it won't be cheap to set up, but the amount of money that the government could get in infringement notices could offset the cost of the cameras, equipment and wages. Also, how much is a human life worth, or each serious crash? Not just in monetary terms either.

The technology for this is getting cheaper and better by the day, so it doesn't have to cost an exorbitant sum to implement.

R650R
23rd March 2014, 14:06
Interesting take on a totally incorrect assumption.

NZTA doesn't register all demerits from each stop. They register the highest number, and call it a day at that. You only get one lot of demerits from an individual stop.

Still, never let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

OMG so its cumulative just like the justice systems method of sentencing ie where a burglar assaults an owner during process he gets sentenced for the nasty home invasion charge but effective gets the burglary charge for free, no wonder no one obeys the law.
So lets say I came rear wheel drifting over a blind rise at 139km/h while failing to indicate as I complete an overtake on slower traffic (yes complete bs fantasy I know) then there wouldn't be a huge rack of demerits upon stopping, just 50 for the biggest which I assume would be the speed ticket....

R650R
23rd March 2014, 14:09
I have an idea. Set up HD video cameras at certain intersections, maybe on a power pole or traffic light pole. Pay a non sworn officer minimum wage to sit there and watch the footage all day. For each offence that results in a conviction, pay them a commission. For each offence that results in an infringement notice, pay them a smaller commission. For an offence that is minor, but not bad enough to give an infringement notice, send the registered owner a warning letter outlining what they've done wrong and not to do it again.

By paying someone a commission to watch the footage, you can be assured that they will want to catch the offenders since there's something in it for them. Since there will be camera footage, a sworn officer can watch the footage before deciding if or what to charge the offender with. Video camera footage doesn't lie either, so the offender can't really argue in court that they did nothing wrong if the camera footage shows otherwise.

Yes I know it won't be cheap to set up, but the amount of money that the government could get in infringement notices could offset the cost of the cameras, equipment and wages. Also, how much is a human life worth, or each serious crash? Not just in monetary terms either.

The technology for this is getting cheaper and better by the day, so it doesn't have to cost an exorbitant sum to implement.

Just one we problem with that, kinda upsets the old boys network. And also such a system would catch too many crooks also and instantly overload the prisons.

haydes55
23rd March 2014, 18:52
Just one we problem with that, kinda upsets the old boys network. And also such a system would catch too many crooks also and instantly overload the prisons.

Not to mention, that would mean charging people for basically cutting people off, when they pulled on to empty roads.

If there's no one to cut off, where's the risk of a crash? The only time I stop is when I see a cop.

R650R
23rd March 2014, 21:48
Not to mention, that would mean charging people for basically cutting people off, when they pulled on to empty roads.

If there's no one to cut off, where's the risk of a crash? The only time I stop is when I see a cop.

For the record I always stop now, our ones down here are quite well policed and are in spots where you do need a good look. And also the cellphone nark factor, cause you know there going to add on extreme acceleration or noisy(to them) motorbike to the rap sheet and the cops will come running. Mate of mine talked himself out of a Stop sign ticket recently, cop must have been in a hurry to donut shop and not checked his previous record of licence losses, had kids in car too... But what gets me like all the road safety stuff is there is so much randomness to which places are stop and which are give way.
Near where I live there is a busy T junction that is give way only, vision is quite badly obscured by high fences either side. Waiting for the night when someone rolls through and gets t-boned by a cop car at 160k on emergency call...

haydes55
23rd March 2014, 22:20
Another perve about stop signs, my work van is slow, I sometimes turn up to stop signs in second gear, slow enough that when I get to the line I can stop if I see any traffic, but fast enough that I can pull out and not hold up traffic. There are intersections where once my van is stopped, I can't see far enough down the road so when I decide to go, if a vehicle comes in to view as I've started accelerating, they have to brake and wait for about 15 seconds while I redline my van to get up to speed. But if I get to the intersection in second, see there's no traffic and go, then a car comes around the corner, I'm already going 30-40km/h faster than if I stopped.

I don't need to be forced to stop by some bureaucratic bullshit to see a vehicle. I'm capable of not driving blindly in to a pushbike. If I ever get a ticket for it I'd see it through to court. If you are so stupid you can't determine for yourself whether you need to stop and check for traffic or not, then you're too stupid to drive at all.

Scubbo
26th March 2014, 16:16
quick question, is it legal to be standing up on pegs on a road which has speed bumps all down it? --- the speed limit is 50, is it still fine to do 50 with those bumps there? (the road is wide and nothing about during the times I move down it apart from the odd car at one of the intersections) I feel it's not dangerous, I've gone down it in the car and its uncomfortable at speed so have to slow with it, but on the bike...

I ask really--- as I was going down it, a black car pulled up to an intersection just past the speed bump, I was standing on the pegs to get over it at ~50KPH and the woman blew her horn after I had past her ---- there was nothing around so it was aimed at me (I think she may feel she had right of way because no-one could get over the speedbump at any more than a crawl?) she was definitely on the giveway ---- don't like to piss people off, especially if i'm in the wrong, but was I?

I guess this could fall into the category of try not to piss off other road users/people around the road --- but its a really wide road that they have to squeeze up for the speed bumps and even then the speed bumps are still dual width (not those crazy move to the other side of the road to get through, Z style junctions)

(actually is it legal to ride your bike on the roads standing on pegs at all? :P I see adventure riders do it often or using highway pegs, legal?)

Scuba_Steve
26th March 2014, 18:33
quick question, is it legal to be standing up on pegs on a road which has speed bumps all down it? --- the speed limit is 50, is it still fine to do 50 with those bumps there? (the road is wide and nothing about during the times I move down it apart from the odd car at one of the intersections) I feel it's not dangerous, I've gone down it in the car and its uncomfortable at speed so have to slow with it, but on the bike...

I ask really--- as I was going down it, a black car pulled up to an intersection just past the speed bump, I was standing on the pegs to get over it at ~50KPH and the woman blew her horn after I had past her ---- there was nothing around so it was aimed at me (I think she may feel she had right of way because no-one could get over the speedbump at any more than a crawl?) she was definitely on the giveway ---- don't like to piss people off, especially if i'm in the wrong, but was I?

I guess this could fall into the category of try not to piss off other road users/people around the road --- but its a really wide road that they have to squeeze up for the speed bumps and even then the speed bumps are still dual width (not those crazy move to the other side of the road to get through, Z style junctions)

(actually is it legal to ride your bike on the roads standing on pegs at all? :P I see adventure riders do it often or using highway pegs, legal?)

On all accounts you were fine, the road code & 1 of the questions in the learner test even says stand on pegs [when on unstable surface for greater control]

If it's yellow it's recommended, if it's red outlined it's rule