PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cyclists

Voltaire
22nd March 2014, 08:18
Out with my Son today getting his 120 hours of driving up, lots of cyclists out.

I observed that when cyclists move out from the curb to pass a car they rarely look behind them to see if its ok, relying on the motorist.
Now looking behind you on a motorcycle is not a great idea so I'm thinking small circular pieces of mirror placed on the handlebar ends might be useful.

PrincessBandit
22nd March 2014, 08:58
I attached an after market motorcycle mirror to the handlebar of a pushbike I bought a couple of years ago when I decided to get back into riding (not basically ridden since I was at school...) It freaked me out not being able to view behind myself when needing to pass stationary cars or executing a right turn. have since parted with that bike and am on another which doesn't have my little extra mirror security blanket, but I am very conscious of looking over my right shoulder before moving anywhere that might affect anyone else around me.
Maybe pushbike riders are a bit like runners or other pedestrians and they siimply forget that they might cause someone else problems. (As a school kid I did exactly that with a driver behind me who ended up running up onto the footpath because I forgot to signal that I was turning right and crossed straight in front of him... He was ok, and didn't abuse me or anything, I did apologise, but felt terribly guilty for years after that event! Maybe that's why I'm still hot on it today, all these years later.

SMOKEU
22nd March 2014, 08:58
I always look behind me before changing my line when cycling. Mirrors won't really work well on a road racing bike with drop down bars.

awa355
22nd March 2014, 11:23
The best safety feature on my pushbike is the mirror.

Woodman
22nd March 2014, 11:27
My old man used to have a pair of wire glasses that he wore that had a wee mirror attached to them when he used to cycle race back in the olden days. Used to wear them as kids and they worked real well.

bogan
22nd March 2014, 11:27
The best safety feature on my pushbike is the mirror.

Disagree, I find my off road tyres help me avoid many many cars :whistle:

nzspokes
22nd March 2014, 15:12
There are quite a few mirror options for cyclists. A lot of mirrors are sold, most small that a motorist would not see when driving past.

Swoop
22nd March 2014, 15:13
I observed that when cyclists move out from the curb to pass a car they rarely look behind them to see if its ok, relying on the motorist.
Are you mad?

A psychlist moving their head? That would mean one of their iEarbuds might fall out, causing an interruption of their iMusic.

(I noticed an abundance of the lycra-clad-tosspots out today as well. Perhaps an open-season on the fuckers would be sensible to cull their burgeoning numbers?)

Mike.Gayner
22nd March 2014, 16:23
Are you mad?

A psychlist moving their head? That would mean one of their iEarbuds might fall out, causing an interruption of their iMusic.

(I noticed an abundance of the lycra-clad-tosspots out today as well. Perhaps an open-season on the fuckers would be sensible to cull their burgeoning numbers?)

Oh look another insecure fat-fuck motorist who just can't stand the idea of sharing the road with someone riding pedal power. Gee, you don't see many of them in this country :rolleyes:

Swoop
22nd March 2014, 19:02
Oh look another insecure fat-fuck motorist who just can't stand the idea of sharing the road with someone riding pedal power. Gee, you don't see many of them in this country :rolleyes:
Hmm...
You are obviously rather "petite" due to all of that jumping, eh?

How is it in "conclusion land"?

Sharing the road = no problems*

* as long as they obey the road rules, keep to single file when passing parked cars, no more than 2 abreast at other times and walk their bicycle across pedestrian crossings.
Otherwise game on, lycra-fags!

Murray
22nd March 2014, 19:50
Out with my Son today getting his 120 hours of driving up, lots of cyclists out.

Now looking behind you on a motorcycle is not a great idea so I'm thinking small circular pieces of mirror placed on the handlebar ends might be useful.

jeez your posting here more than your secret group forum?? are you alright??

most common sense i have heard for a long time - but making bloody cyclists responsible for themselves is like asking motorcyclists too!!

Voltaire
22nd March 2014, 20:57
jeez your posting here more than your secret group forum?? are you alright??

most common sense i have heard for a long time - but making bloody cyclists responsible for themselves is like asking motorcyclists too!!

Not picking on cyclists, just observing that relying on others to ' do the right thing' once they are driving a vehicle is living in la la land.

To paraphrase a guy in Ireland I once worked with " Kiwis are nice people until they are behind a steering wheel"

nzspokes
22nd March 2014, 21:07
I would have thought having this moan would work better on a cycling forum.

SMOKEU
22nd March 2014, 21:55
Fuck cagers. :finger:

Wingnut
23rd March 2014, 07:09
I am driving on the Alps to Ocean route often. I was under the impression there was to be a dedicated cycleway for the entire distance. Not so it seems. The route ventures some nice rural areas but a large majority of this is on a state highway and now relatively well used (thanks to the worlds requirements for milk) country roads.

I will ride a pushy less often than most but can some of you more regulars please explain why it is necessary to ride 2 or 3 abreast and simply not give a fucken rats ass as to who or what is approaching from behind? I know it could be regarded as a case of "one bad egg" and all that but seriously (and I am pretty liberal and am by no means some kind of road nazi) it happens more often than not now. I experienced partaking in a line of 6-8 vehicles, backed up on SH83, in 100kph zone, behind a group of wankers who couldn't even have the decency to split into single file for 30 seconds to let everyone pass... Having a line of traffic that long in that area at those speeds is waiting for an acident to happen. Not to mention the road rage it induces to the "Cagers" (God I hate that term.....)

These are roads that are primarily built for motor vehicles. Motor vehicles that have associated costs (fuel taxes, registration etc) that are a method of gathering the revenue required to build and maintain the roads that we all use. I'm not saying ban cyclists or impose any kind of taxing (Fuck knows we're taxed enough as it is) but it would be nice if cyclists could at least make an attempt to ensure all users can travel safely.....

This is my experience and I'm sure its not every cyclist.... Least of all any that post on Kiwi Biker :shutup:

R650R
23rd March 2014, 14:27
I am driving on the Alps to Ocean route often. I was under the impression there was to be a dedicated cycleway for the entire distance. Not so it seems. The route ventures some nice rural areas but a large majority of this is on a state highway and now relatively well used (thanks to the worlds requirements for milk) country roads.

I will ride a pushy less often than most but can some of you more regulars please explain why it is necessary to ride 2 or 3 abreast and simply not give a fucken rats ass as to who or what is approaching from behind? I know it could be regarded as a case of "one bad egg" and all that but seriously (and I am pretty liberal and am by no means some kind of road nazi) it happens more often than not now. I experienced partaking in a line of 6-8 vehicles, backed up on SH83, in 100kph zone, behind a group of wankers who couldn't even have the decency to split into single file for 30 seconds to let everyone pass... Having a line of traffic that long in that area at those speeds is waiting for an acident to happen. Not to mention the road rage it induces to the "Cagers" (God I hate that term.....)

These are roads that are primarily built for motor vehicles. Motor vehicles that have associated costs (fuel taxes, registration etc) that are a method of gathering the revenue required to build and maintain the roads that we all use. I'm not saying ban cyclists or impose any kind of taxing (Fuck knows we're taxed enough as it is) but it would be nice if cyclists could at least make an attempt to ensure all users can travel safely.....

This is my experience and I'm sure its not every cyclist.... Least of all any that post on Kiwi Biker :shutup:

I only mountainbike and sometimes ride road to nearest river trail but I think I can shed some light.
What you are witnessing is an acute case of Penis Inverse Small Syndrome. Much like the more well known syndrome the afflicted ones develop the condition from working office jobs where they feel they have some power and control over others lives but effectively don't. Usually they ascibe to green political beliefs which prohibit them from treating their condition in the normal manner by buying a car or bike with big engine.
So what happens is to express themselves they buy these expensive bikes and clothes. Now of course they cant do ripping overtaking moves or lay black lines out of corners so in order to be noticed they have to block a main thourofare.
This also serves to satisfy the green in them of disrupting motorised transport.
Of course the way or legal system works it cant recognise this large style eco-terrorism wreaking havoc on the roads as each interaction with a cyclst must be treated as an individual case.
Be warned though PISS is contagious and also the risk of stockholme syndrome is high as if you spend too much time in close proximity to a group of PISS sufferers you may be hypnotised by the fit female members of the group or the blingy nature of the carbon fibre framed bikes.
So for your own safety stay at least 1.5m away (those signs were put up by the centre for disease control, not cycle lobby groups) and accelerate briskly past them.
If your concerned you may have caught PISS then immediately go and purchase a high power vehicle to mitigate symptons and have a chance of recovery :)

North island falcon
23rd March 2014, 14:44
There are small mirrors available that attach to the helmet, these work well, but according to a few cyclists I know "do not look cool".
The only real annoyance with them is that you have to be careful how you store your helmet because they can accidentally detach easily. However they work, they are better than bike mounted mirrors and they cost about $20.

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 18:29

The cyclists who hold up traffic like that really piss me off. It seems to be lycrafags who are most guilty of that, rather than "normal" cyclists. If it were up to me I'd ban riding 2 or more abreast on roads, but not on cycle paths.

Voltaire
23rd March 2014, 18:44
I would have thought having this moan would work better on a cycling forum.

Oh come on....forums are where people who no one listens to get a change to type something no one cares about. :msn-wink:
I took my family around Europe in 2004 and we had bicycles on the back of the van, parked up and rode the bikes lots around Belguim, Holland, France and Germany. Europe is good for bikes, dedicated cycling lanes, polite driving etc.

wharekura
23rd March 2014, 18:54
I cycle often mornings and late afternoons and will stay off the road and ride on the verge where possible when I hear traffic. I don't know if that's practical for road bikes as mine is a hybrid and can do "off road". Someone mentioned cyclist listening to music with earphones - I consider that dangerous as you wont be able to hear approaching traffic.

Hoon
23rd March 2014, 19:25
I rarely look behind either. For me turning to look over my shoulder makes my bike veer to the right so I only do it when I have lots of space. Yeah I could try to compensate but having a steering battle with my bike and trying to keep as tight left as possible while looking in the opposite direction is even more riskier.

I do like those helmet mirrors though and keen to get some.

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 19:59
I cycle often mornings and late afternoons and will stay off the road and ride on the verge where possible when I hear traffic. I don't know if that's practical for road bikes as mine is a hybrid and can do "off road". Someone mentioned cyclist listening to music with earphones - I consider that dangerous as you wont be able to hear approaching traffic.

I never wear headphones when cycling, it really does remove a whole lot of situational awareness.

I don't look behind unless I am on a narrow road where the passing car would have to cross the centre.

I rarely look behind either. For me turning to look over my shoulder makes my bike veer to the right so I only do it when I have lots of space. Yeah I could try to compensate but having a steering battle with my bike and trying to keep as tight left as possible while looking in the opposite direction is even more riskier.

I do like those helmet mirrors though and keen to get some.

You really should check behind you often to know what's going on around you. Try countersteering slightly left when you turn your head off to the right to keep the bike straighter. It's not hard to do with a bit of practice. It steers just like a motorbike obviously, except lighter.

Akzle
23rd March 2014, 20:13
tips? Fuck off and die. The road is no place for bikes.

puddytat
23rd March 2014, 20:56
Ride on the footpath.
they're usually emptyish as most people walk fuckall nowadays.

MD
23rd March 2014, 20:58
I hope you all saw Top gear tonight. They made a series of public service bulletins on cycle safety. Had me in stitches! One of the funniest episodes of TG in ages.

neels
23rd March 2014, 21:10
There are ignorant fuckwits on bicycles, there are ignorant fuckwits in cars, there are ignorant fuckwits on motorbikes.

There are ignorant fuckwits everywhere in the world, sometimes you will encounter them in your travels, that's life.

Oakie
23rd March 2014, 21:19
I hope you all saw Top gear tonight. They made a series of public service bulletins on cycle safety. Had me in stitches! One of the funniest episodes of TG in ages.

What he said.

"Learn the difference between red and green". I laughed until I stopped (because it's true)!

Akzle
24th March 2014, 06:12

red and green. Learn the bloody difference!

Work harder, get a car!

unstuck
24th March 2014, 06:35
There are ignorant fuckwits on bicycles, there are ignorant fuckwits in cars, there are ignorant fuckwits on motorbikes.

There are ignorant fuckwits everywhere in the world, sometimes you will encounter them in your travels, that's life.

Truest thing posted since ages ago.:Punk::Punk:

Mike.Gayner
24th March 2014, 07:49
Someone mentioned cyclist listening to music with earphones - I consider that dangerous as you wont be able to hear approaching traffic.

I listen to books and podcasts on my bikes - it's different to listening to music because you can still easily hear what's around you. So just because someone is wearing earphones doesn't mean they have the Katy Perry cranked.

Voltaire
24th March 2014, 08:19
Driving to work thru Penrose in the dark this morning, two cyclists with no lights.

They must have watched Top Gear and are starting earlier to save up for a car.:niceone:

Akzle
24th March 2014, 12:18
fuken 918 was a bit of sex, too.
Only cool hybrid. Ever.

SpeedMonger
24th March 2014, 20:12
fuken 918 was a bit of sex, too.
Only cool hybrid. Ever.

Nope, you need to check out the Jag C-X75. A supercharged and turbocharged 1.6 litre 4 cyl that makes 500hp and revs to 10,200 rpm! plus two 150kw electric motors, one at either end. Only troubles are a) it is not going to production and b) could not afford one if they did. It is a lot nicer looking than the P1 and 918 too, IMO.

nzspokes
24th March 2014, 20:15
Oh come on....forums are where people who no one listens to get a change to type something no one cares about. :msn-wink:
I took my family around Europe in 2004 and we had bicycles on the back of the van, parked up and rode the bikes lots around Belguim, Holland, France and Germany. Europe is good for bikes, dedicated cycling lanes, polite driving etc.

Yes, I know. I went to France in 03 to watch the Tour De France. Cycling over there is a passion. Riders are respected. Unlike here.

Swoop
24th March 2014, 21:07
Riders are respected.
*cough* Lance Armstrong *cough*

nzspokes
24th March 2014, 21:17

Bernard Hinault , Eddy Merckx.......

FJRider
24th March 2014, 21:47
Our wise and knowing all Governments ... for past decades ... have never required (in legislation) rear vision mirrors to be fitted to bicycles. :whocares:

Therefore ... it MUST be safe to not do so .... :shutup:

Now ALL cyclists must wear crash helmets ... so they ARE safe ... <_<

Akzle
25th March 2014, 06:34
nope, you need to check out the jag c-x75. A supercharged and turbocharged 1.6 litre 4 cyl that makes 500hp and revs to 10,200 rpm! Plus two 150kw electric motors, one at either end. Only troubles are a) it is not going to production and b) could not afford one if they did. It is a lot nicer looking than the p1 and 918 too, imo.

v8 > 4l

MisterD
25th March 2014, 07:11

That's because he's a Seppo, if he'd have been French, he'd still be a hero.

imdying
25th March 2014, 17:53
Now looking behind you on a motorcycle is not a great ideaWait, what? I've spent 20 years doing it wrong? :eek:

Voltaire
25th March 2014, 18:44
Wait, what? I've spent 20 years doing it wrong? :eek:

um....touché.

Yamahardman
25th March 2014, 18:52
I cycle, but I also remain courteous at all times.
My mum once told me that when she lived in Switzerland, that bicycles had to be registered for a small cost per year, so that riders could be held accountable for any misdoings, and for insurance purposes.

Imagine if a pack of idiots were riding in front of you 4 abreast on a country road, you could *555 them to the attention of the local constabulary, who may or may not fine them for dangerous road conduct.

It's all about that sweet sweet accountability.

Mike.Gayner
25th March 2014, 18:56
Yeah, that's what we need in this country, more government regulation :tugger:

nodrog
25th March 2014, 18:59
Tips for cyclists -

Don't fit a 50 million candle power flashing strobe light to the front of your pushbike you ignorant cunts.

Yes everybody can see you, but that's all they can see. I'm pretty sure 3 of you could put your brain together and figure out why there is a requirement to dip your headlights while driving your motorised vehicles.

Akzle
25th March 2014, 19:01
It's all about that sweet sweet accountability.
no it isnt. Its about sweet sweet "dont be a fucking homo"
if that shit was mandatory, kb would have a lot less to moan about.

Mike.Gayner
25th March 2014, 19:04
Don't fit a 50 million candle power flashing strobe light to the front of your pushbike you ignorant cunts.

Yes everybody can see you,

Really? If you really can see me then stop driving into me. Obnoxious wanker.

Yamahardman
25th March 2014, 19:22
Heh. Here's a how to for Road cycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhySzO14ik

pritch
25th March 2014, 20:09

The last headligfht I had might have helped a car driver to see me if their windows weren't fogged up, or they weren't too pissed or whatever.
If there was a beer bottle in the road though there would be no chance of actually seeing it. This I know.

The light I have now was sold to me as, "We call this the fuck-the-car-drivers headlight." It's bright and I can actually see things on the ground.

I don't tend to use it as a flashing strobe though, wouldn't want to contribute to another road user having an epileptic seizure. :whistle:

Voltaire
25th March 2014, 20:15
Tips for cyclists -

Yes everybody can see you, but that's all they can see. I'm pretty sure 3 of you could put your brain together and figure out why there is a requirement to dip your headlights while driving your motorised vehicles.

Mike.Gayner

I thought Towelronger was a relaxed place :confused:

nodrog
26th March 2014, 16:22

So its ok for me to fit flashing spotlights too the front of my truck? choice!

p.s. I haven't driven into you, but you sound like the kind of person I would like to, stay safe out there :niceone:

nodrog
26th March 2014, 16:24
I thought Towelronger was a relaxed place :confused:

It is, apart from the self righteous felchers on pushbikes.

Maha
26th March 2014, 17:40
It is, apart from the self righteous felchers on pushbikes.

Let me know when you want your Raleigh 20 back, I get a few weird looks riding around Taka's on a bike with white tyres aha!

nodrog
26th March 2014, 17:42
Let me know when you want your Raleigh 20 back, I get a few weird looks riding around Taka's on a bike with white tyres aha!

is my straw still under the seat?

Maha
26th March 2014, 17:45
is my straw still under the seat?

No, but I have managed to tune the bell so it plays Green sleeves, but it plays at the speed you peddle so that's quite cute innit?

Swoop
26th March 2014, 21:04
No, but I have managed to tune the bell so it plays Green sleeves...
Surely DangerousBastard / CookMySock will want that back for his van?