PDA

View Full Version : 4wds and Kiwis?

98tls
23rd March 2014, 19:30
The things have been annoying in the past when travelling in the car but these days i can honestly say i am starting to loathe the fucking things coming back from Christchurch today in the ute we came across 2 both late model polished up complete with tyre blacked tyres/chrome rims and all the wank you could think of having a "hold up everything in the passing lanes cause the turds run outta puff fest' which went on for bloody miles:clap:What is the it seems ever growing attraction to these ridiculous things?cant imagine they handle there fucking gutless and most of em have more chance of winning lotto than going off road.If the things covered in shit with dogs on the back i can understand but the rest...must be plenty on here that own one enlighten me please.Cant see through them cant see round them they hold up everyone else on the road,there a fucking disease.That feels better rant over.

Big Dog
23rd March 2014, 19:48
Can't fit 7 people on the bike. Picnic / holiday spots can be a little more accessible.
I can fit behind the wheel without bending my neck or leaning the seat. Costs less than. The equivalent sedan. Can tow easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dog
23rd March 2014, 19:51
Bonus? Never had a Yaris or similar pull out on me. Easily fits the double push chair and the dog.

T.W.R
23rd March 2014, 19:56
:lol: You forgot towing the Rayglass or Premier float :rolleyes:

One glitch in your rant...unless it's permanent 4wd a big majority wouldn't know how to get them into 4wd.

Most of the proper off roaders that actually see the dirt, travel at or just below the open road limit

98tls
23rd March 2014, 20:03
Can't fit 7 people on the bike. Picnic / holiday spots can be a little more accessible.
I can fit behind the wheel without bending my neck or leaning the seat. Costs less than. The equivalent sedan. Can tow easily.

STOP with the sensible stuff bugger ya:laugh:Fair points indeed,may just be me and the fact that i do a lot of trips up to Christchurch to see family ie its a bloody boring long straight for 2 and a 1/4-2 1/2 hours made longer by the same old thing someone in a 4wd hell bent on using the length of every passing lane to pass one car and then holding everyone up period.

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 20:04
Maybe take a test drive of a 4wd you may like it as you are sitting as high as on a bike but if you want power nothing under a 3l turbo diesel.

That generally applies to the horribly outdated Japanese diesels, and not the modern European stuff.

Akzle
23rd March 2014, 20:11
they some fucking self centred arrogant gay shit.
Not once. ONCE. Have i seen one demonstrate what i could call 'good driving'.
Most dont even make the 'average fuckwit' grade.
Maybe they should add trap doors at dealerships. As soon as shits signed *schwing!* into a spiked pit with rabid dogs and mutant piranhas.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 20:12
:lol: You forgot towing the Rayglass or Premier float :rolleyes:

One glitch in your rant...unless it's permanent 4wd a big majority wouldn't know how to get them into 4wd.

Most of the proper off roaders that actually see the dirt, travel at or just below the open road limit

Thought of you today B as we drove past Chertsey (yea yea i know you moved).Mate these 2 today drove me nuts,the fat bitch driving one of em drove me to the point of fucking road rage and when finally i got to pass the tub of lard i dropped the passenger window hit the horn and gave her the middle finger:weird:yea i know its childish but fuck me it was proper annoying.

Edbear
23rd March 2014, 20:16
I have just found my next vehicle. Mitsubishi's new Outlander PHEV. 1.9lt/100km! That's 3000km per tank of petrol. Priced at $60k. It's powerful enough to match the V6, too.

Akzle
23rd March 2014, 20:21
That generally applies to the horribly outdated Japanese diesels, and not the modern European stuff.

everyone in a cayenne deserves herpes. Facial and genital.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 20:23
I have just found my next vehicle. Mitsubishi's new Outlander PHEV. 1.9lt/100km! That's 3000km per tank of petrol. Priced at $60k. It's powerful enough to match the V6, too.

Jesus Ed those figures are the reason i wouldnt buy one,flannels are cheap at the Warehouse and waters still free or if thats to hard i would just watch the jug boil.Like riding a bike driving a car is supposed to be enjoyable not an alternative to counting sheep.

T.W.R
23rd March 2014, 20:26
Thought of you today B as we drove past Chertsey (yea yea i know you moved).Mate these 2 today drove me nuts,the fat bitch driving one of em drove me to the point of fucking road rage and when finally i got to pass the tub of lard i dropped the passenger window hit the horn and gave her the middle finger:weird:yea i know its childish but fuck me it was proper annoying.

:laugh: you know the stretch between Ashburton & Rakaia is the mental 20 :weird: the bullshit that takes place on that piece of road is nuts, it'll prepare you for anything :rolleyes:
The pansey 4x4 shopping trollys & latte haulers crap their dacks when a dirty ol 4x4 lines them up :laugh:

Scuba_Steve
23rd March 2014, 20:28

yep, when we were looking for a Station Wagon SUV's were everywhere & cheap too; you actually have to pay a premium to own a normal sized car nowadays.
We did end up finding a reasonable priced SW but still could have probably got an equivalent SUV for half the price, probably the biggest reason there's so many of them on the road, they're the cheapest option for a car.

Try & achieve that in real life.

Big Dog
23rd March 2014, 20:30
@Akzle is this your way of owning up to having one?

they some fucking self centred arrogant gay shit .

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 20:32

That would be a nice ride.

everyone in a cayenne deserves herpes. Facial and genital.

I wouldn't mind a Cayenne Turbo. They handle fucking well for what they are too, that fantastic suspension keeps the body quite level during cornering compared to just about any other SUV.

For that kind of money I'd still rather have a car than an SUV, but it's still a pretty dope ride.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 20:34
:laugh: you know the stretch between Ashburton & Rakaia is the mental 20 :weird: the bullshit that takes place on that piece of road is nuts, it'll prepare you for anything :rolleyes:
The pansey 4x4 shopping trollys & latte haulers crap their dacks when a dirty ol 4x4 lines them up :laugh:

Maybe i need to buy one then cause with the increasing number of these fucking things on our roads with cunts behind the wheel that seem devoid of anything in there heads bar thoughts of the next strangers cock they can gobble cause they got so fat there husbands gave up trying to block n tackle there legs open a good old fashioned V8s a waste of time.;)OK this time rants over,apoligies to any here with courteous normally sized wives.

skippa1
23rd March 2014, 20:34
That would be a nice ride.

I wouldn't mind a Cayenne Turbo. They handle fucking well for what they are too, that fantastic suspension keeps the body quite level during cornering compared to just about any other SUV.

For that kind of money I'd still rather have a car than an SUV, but it's still a pretty dope ride.
Understatement big time. I've been in a 2013 Cayenne driven in anger by ex racing driver. They are un fucking believable!

98tls
23rd March 2014, 20:47
Understatement big time. I've been in a 2013 Cayenne driven in anger by ex racing driver. They are un fucking believable!

No doubt they are but far from the plauge that infests the roads on a daily basis,on average i would guess most in cars cant drive for shit but put them in a great lumbering shitbox Toyota surf it seems any sense of commonsense disappears or there just born arseholes,either way there fucking annoying.

T.W.R
23rd March 2014, 20:55
:facepalm: 99% of twats behind the wheel would be too frightened to take them off road; not the access road to the ski field,sand track to the beach or over the grassy knoll to a picnic area but proper decent boulder bashing...too fucking scared of getting the oversized family wagon scratched....insult calling them a 4x4

Flip
23rd March 2014, 21:00
It's just a fashion for middle class car park tractors.

I have a V8 landrover, slow, handles like a POS (on the road). I use it for hunting. The best towing vehicle I have ever had was a Falcon ute. The best 7 seater I have ever been in was a Mitsubishi people mover.

The big shiny 4WD thing is just a fashion, it will pass. The Cayeene 4WD thing is a not a practical 4WD vehicle, well I have never seen one off the road, but I want to one day.

If you want to be safe on the road buy a tank. The days of buying a new 4wd is because they are percieved to be safer is comming to an end,as the new ones have to comply with the new vehicle design regs.

neels
23rd March 2014, 21:01
Drove my dirty old terrano back from waimate today after bashing it around farm tracks for the weekend, fun like this is why I'll probably always have one.

If I held anyone up on passing lanes it's only because I'm not keen on having do more than 120 to pass grey haired old gits in late model hatchbacks (or even worse, toyota camrys) who were happy at 85-90 until they see a passing lane sign, then it's 100+ and speeding up in the left lane as I try to pass.

Weren't any 4x4's stopping me cruising at a little bit inside the tolerance.

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 21:03
No doubt they are but far from the plauge that infests the roads on a daily basis,on average i would guess most in cars cant drive for shit but put them in a great lumbering shitbox Toyota surf it seems any sense of commonsense disappears or there just born arseholes,either way there fucking annoying.

It seems that the older and rougher the SUV, the more the drivers act like complete cocks. It's as if they're saying "I'm going to tailgate you just to prove that my overpriced 20 year old wreck can maintain the speed limit".

Luckily on most bikes it only takes a little bit more throttle to get far away from them.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:06

I have a V8 landrover, slow, handles like a POS (on the road). I use it for hunting. The best towing vehicle I have ever had was a Falcon ute. The best 7 seater I have ever been in was a Mitsubishi people mover.

The big shiny 4WD thing is just a fashion, it will pass. The Cayeene 4WD thing is a not a practical 4WD vehicle, well I have never seen one off the road, but I want to one day.

If you want to be safe on the road buy a tank. The days of buying a new 4wd is because they are percieved to be safer is comming to an end,as the new ones have to comply with the new vehicle design regs.

Good points,ive often heard the "towing" thing in response to "why one of those fucking things ?" which is almost... no is laughable.No idea on stats but would bet good money the fucking things have caused many accidents over the years after driving normally sane people to do insane things out of frustration.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:10
It seems that the older and rougher the SUV, the more the drivers act like complete cocks. It's as if they're saying "I'm going to tailgate you just to prove that my overpriced 20 year old wreck can maintain the speed limit".

Luckily on most bikes it only takes a little bit more throttle to get far away from them.

Have to disagree mate,these days it seems to me anyway its the late model ones driven by middlaged folk with no perception of speed that fuck me off more times than not.Tis not the tailgaters i give a shit about its the ones on passing lanes that refuse to move over.

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 21:10

The Cayenne has a far smarter drivetrain than those grossly overpriced Hiluxes and other Japanese POS. All a Cayanne really needs is some decent offroading tyres and they're much better than most people think. They are still a LWB vehicle with a reasonable amount of body overhang, so that does need to be taken into account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbetkMgQJC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWmjfcr5R6Y

SMOKEU
23rd March 2014, 21:11
Have to disagree mate,these days it seems to me anyway its the late model ones driven by middlaged folk with no perception of speed that fuck me off more times than not.Tis not the tailgaters i give a shit about its the ones on passing lanes that refuse to move over.

Yeah, those ones are really bad.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:19
Drove my dirty old terrano back from waimate today after bashing it around farm tracks for the weekend, fun like this is why I'll probably always have one.

If I held anyone up on passing lanes it's only because I'm not keen on having do more than 120 to pass grey haired old gits in late model hatchbacks (or even worse, toyota camrys) who were happy at 85-90 until they see a passing lane sign, then it's 100+ and speeding up in the left lane as I try to pass.

Weren't any 4x4's stopping me cruising at a little bit inside the tolerance.

If your not keen on doing more than 120 in a passing lane then why are you in one?No offence and hey getting out there in the mud is fun but jesus H passing lanes are for passing, people that fuck about in em annoy the shit outta me.You dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out that fucking about at 120 clicks is just going to hold up everyone else that actually intends to pass people....in a passing lane.That aside the diesal all over my windscreen after the black shit disappears is also annoying.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:26
Yeah, those ones are really bad.

No they used to be bad these days there a fucking disease,i like driving these cunts ruin it,as you say on a bike there no problem in fact at times amusing but in a car...i could give a shit what anyone chooses to drive but fuck how about those in said pieces of shit get realistic when it comes to passing is all i ask,wont happen but great to have a vent after todays antics.

T.W.R
23rd March 2014, 21:28

:lol: most of the ones in your narrow wee field of view are the hairy arsed boys still yerning for mummy's tit waiting for their balls to drop ;)

kiwi cowboy
23rd March 2014, 21:31

Hey don't pisson the good ol smurfs.

Ok I drive a how you say (lumbering shitbox toyota surf):killingme.

I do however consider myself AND my lovely normal size wife to be considerate and to have common sence:whistle:.

We have it as up in central otago it sometimes snows and or very frosty,icey and its safer for my wife to get to work in on those mornings.
We looked at getting a sw for our big car to tow the float wit recently but decided against it for those reasons.

I don't have a problem on the open road going to ch ch or invers even towing the small trailor with the race bike on I keep with the flow of traffic with no effort but do take time to let people past that want to go faster and don't speed up on passind lanes which really pisses me off.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:36
Hey don't pisson the good ol smurfs.

Ok I drive a how you say (lumbering shitbox toyota surf):killingme.

I do however consider myself AND my lovely normal size wife to be considerate and to have common sence:whistle:.

We have it as up in central otago it sometimes snows and or very frosty,icey and its safer for my wife to get to work in on those mornings.
We looked at getting a sw for our big car to tow the float wit recently but decided against it for those reasons.

I don't have a problem on the open road going to ch ch or invers even towing the small trailor with the race bike on I keep with the flow of traffic with no effort but do take time to let people past that want to go faster and don't speed up on passind lanes which really pisses me off.

;)All that needs to be said really,wish there were more like ya,probably are i just keep having the misfortune to come across those that are not.

kiwi cowboy
23rd March 2014, 21:37

I own one of these older suv's fucktard.:tugger:

When your bike has done 200k let me know how it runs:devil2::bleh:

neels
23rd March 2014, 21:37
If your not keen on doing more than 120 in a passing lane then why are you in one?No offence and hey getting out there in the mud is fun but jesus H passing lanes are for passing, people that fuck about in em annoy the shit outta me.You dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out that fucking about at 120 clicks is just going to hold up everyone else that actually intends to pass people....in a passing lane.That aside the diesal all over my windscreen after the black shit disappears is also annoying.
A few reasons, the limit is still 100 so I try to limit the expense if I happen on mister plod going the other way, at 120 the old shitter has only got another 5-10k's left and I like to save them for when I really need them, and because I don't want to spend the next 10k's back down at 80-90. I am considerate enough to have a look in the mirror and if there's something quicker behind me (which is most things) I'll stay out of the way.

I don't actually bother trying to overtake on passing lanes much, due to exactly what you've described and the slow pricks suddenly having the urge to travel at 110, I prefer to sneak up on them when they're not expecting it on a normal bit of road with no oncoming traffic.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:41
A few reasons, the limit is still 100 so I try to limit the expense if I happen on mister plod going the other way, at 120 the old shitter has only got another 5-10k's left and I like to save them for when I really need them, and because I don't want to spend the next 10k's back down at 80-90. I am considerate enough to have a look in the mirror and if there's something quicker behind me (which is most things) I'll stay out of the way.

I don't actually bother trying to overtake on passing lanes much, due to exactly what you've described and the slow pricks suddenly having the urge to travel at 110, I prefer to sneak up on them when they're not expecting it on a normal bit of road with no oncoming traffic.

Fair cal neels but hey if anybody really gave a shit about the speed limit we would all be riding 250s eh.I guess the difference between arseholes in 4wds and those in most other things is that as i said earlier there so much harder to see round/through,many in em dont get it or simply dont care it seems.

JimO
23rd March 2014, 21:45
i dragged a ton of boat back from Aviemore tonight in my Hilux biggest problem was all the knob jockeys in cars holding me up

98tls
23rd March 2014, 21:51
i dragged a ton of boat back from Aviemore tonight in my Hilux biggest problem was all the knob jockeys in cars holding me up

Shit,glad to hear there was one of the fucking things elsewhere at one stage today i asked the mrs "is every cunt that owns one of these things on this particular stretch of road".

skippa1
23rd March 2014, 21:55
Shit,glad to hear there was one of the fucking things elsewhere at one stage today i asked the mrs "is every cunt that owns one of these things on this particular stretch of road".
You need to chill a bit.......

kiwi cowboy
23rd March 2014, 21:55
Fair cal neels but hey if anybody really gave a shit about the speed limit we would all be riding 250s eh.I guess the difference between arseholes in 4wds and those in most other things is that as i said earlier there so much harder to see round/through,many in em dont get it or simply dont care it seems.

The biggest bitch I have with passing lanes is the dicks that sit right be hind the vehicle slowing everyone down then try to speed up once they hit the passing lane.

I normally sit with the two second rule and when I see the 400m to passing lane I start building speed using the slipstream as I get closer so when I hit the passing lane im already going at 120ish;)so passing is easy and can get back in and slow back down to let others pass me.

R650R
23rd March 2014, 22:01

That technique works great in a b-train, even more so if you switch your headlights off as you pull out...

As for the blingy utes... well comfy seat and nice view of road ahead. And the ones with 3L turbo diesels are well grunty, newer ones handle quite well too.
But you may as well be ranting about anything new or grunty not driven to its potential.
Know of one exec guy who had to give back his company HSV as the wife was too scared to drive it! At least he did the right thing for the rest of us...

98tls
23rd March 2014, 22:02
The biggest bitch I have with passing lanes is the dicks that sit right be hind the vehicle slowing everyone down then try to speed up once they hit the passing lane.

I normally sit with the two second rule and when I see the 400m to passing lane I start building speed using the slipstream as I get closer so when I hit the passing lane im already going at 120ish;)so passing is easy and can get back in and slow back down to let others pass me.

All good.......

JimO
23rd March 2014, 22:04
e im already going at 120ish;)so passing is easy and can get back in and slow back down to let others pass me.
your not allowed to exceed 100ks even when passing, speeding is whats causing global warming

JimO
23rd March 2014, 22:05
there was 1 old cunt in a red coon ute wouldnt get out the way:laugh:

kiwi cowboy
23rd March 2014, 22:09
your not allowed to exceed 100ks even when passing, speeding is whats causing global warming

Oh shit the fingers hit the wrong keys again good sir:msn-wink: I meant 104ish:devil2::niceone:

More global warming comes from speeding up and slowing down don't it :devil2:

98tls
23rd March 2014, 22:11
You need to chill a bit.......

:laugh::laugh:Probably right but wont change much by doing so,the things are when combined with the average joes driving mentality a fucking menace on our roads,they have been for awhile but the upsurge in there popularity has obviously made things worse.As ive said twice arseholes driving whatever are annoying but those in the typical 4wds that grace are roads are made worse by the dimensions and lack of power of there vehicles.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 22:13
there was 1 old cunt in a red coon ute wouldnt get out the way:laugh:

:clap:yea yea.

neels
23rd March 2014, 22:15
Oh shit the fingers hit the wrong keys again good sir:msn-wink: I meant 104ish:devil2::niceone:
And there we're back to the original problem, person at 105 passing person at 104, taking entire length of passing lane to swap places.

98tls
23rd March 2014, 22:19
And there we're back to the original problem, person at 105 passing person at 104, taking entire length of passing lane to swap places.

:laugh:Almost,chuck in a cloud of black shit that would make Hiroshima look like a perfect day not to mention the 55 year old sumo wrestler bitch dressed by "tents for less" driver.

oldrider
23rd March 2014, 22:57
I am not going to wave to you any more 98tls :wavey: . :oi-grr: . You have really hurt my feelings I think I have got the sulks now! :bleh: My 4x4 SUV is only 2WD. :crybaby:

T.W.R
23rd March 2014, 23:05
[QUOTE=98tls;1130697518As ive said twice arseholes driving whatever are annoying but those in the typical 4wds that grace are roads are made worse by the dimensions and lack of power of there vehicles.[/QUOTE]

:no: Not quite....... it's the ones driving those so-called typical 4wds thinking because it's got some size, it's got plenty of power; absolutely no understanding of their vehicle :msn-wink:
My old girl is 26yrs old & nudging 300k, it isn't loaded with big hp (about 80-90hp) but it was designed for a purpose and I know that & know how to use it properly in the enviroment where it was meant to shine; otherwise it's just a mode of transport to get from one point to the other and on the road apart from appearance it isn't there to intimidate or annoy other road users.

Big Dog
24th March 2014, 00:28
:facepalm: 99% of twats behind the wheel would be too frightened to take them off road; not the access road to the ski field,sand track to the beach or over the grassy knoll to a picnic area but proper decent boulder bashing...too fucking scared of getting the oversized family wagon scratched....insult calling them a 4x4

My reluctance to take mine boulder bashing has to do with it being the family wagon. Not the possibility it could be scratched. To be fair 4x4 has only been engaged on a few driveways that otherwise there would be no motion and a few rutted gravel roads. A blessing when on honey moon we took the scenic route and discovered the route the gps took us would be better described as a washed out goat track.

Would I ever take it mudding or boulder bashing? Probably not without different tyres and a suspension upgrade. (Bighorn Lotus). Would I take it goat tracking or fire breaking? Yes. But that is the level it is equipped for. I doubt anyone here would take a Moto Guzzi Stelvio ( even an old beater) on the 42nd traverse without a few mods.

Gremlin
24th March 2014, 00:46
It's simple. You have a falcon or commodore ute. You're a redneck. It's a V8, so that's redneck+ (I only have a V6).

Very typical to complain about traffic holding you up (after all, they're soooooo slow), and you're probably likely to blast by when you do have the chance. Best everyone else is on another road aye?

Have a lovely day :sunny:

edit: Forgot. SUVs seems to be old hat now. Now we have enormous pumped up utes (Amarok, Ranger etc) that make small SUVs like the Xtrail look tiny, on low profile tyres of course. Always a hard lid on it, beats me how that's more practical than a SUV...

unstuck
24th March 2014, 01:05
Fucking land maggots is what they are, never catch me driving one.:whistle:

Akzle
24th March 2014, 06:33
It's simple. You have a falcon or commodore ute. You're a redneck. It's a V8, so that's redneck+ (I only have a V6).

Very typical to complain about traffic holding you up (after all, they're soooooo slow), and you're probably likely to blast by when you do have the chance. Best everyone else is on another road aye?

Have a lovely day :sunny:

edit: Forgot. SUVs seems to be old hat now. Now we have enormous pumped up utes (Amarok, Ranger etc) that make small SUVs like the Xtrail look tiny, on low profile tyres of course. Always a hard lid on it, beats me how that's more practical than a SUV...

except the amarok, by all accounts, are fucken competent 'ffroad.

unstuck
24th March 2014, 06:39
except the amarok, by all accounts, are fucken competent 'ffroad.

Dont believe everything you read, even though they look good when kitted, articulation let them down apparently.

http://www.allrad-magazin.de/_media/images/Zubehoer/Michaelis/Amarok_Bigfoot_rv.jpg

Akzle
24th March 2014, 06:40
@Akzle is this your way of owning up to having one?

no. Got an L200 ute that would tow most of these suv fuckers backwards off the road. If i put directionals on it'd probably tow em on the road, too.
But i got m/ts because thats whut the vehicle was intended for.

And not a fucking iWank/pad/mac/pod/phone/hole dock in sight, so i guess you'll miss out.

unstuck
24th March 2014, 06:45
no. Got an L200 ute that would tow most of these suv fuckers backwards off the road. If i put directionals on it'd probably tow em on the road, too.
But i got m/ts because thats whut the vehicle was intended for.

And not a fucking iWank/pad/mac/pod/phone/hole dock in sight, so i guess you'll miss out.

Got any 4D56 T laying around? The crank on this one feels funny.:shifty:

Akzle
24th March 2014, 06:48
Dont believe everything you read, even though they look good when kitted, articulation let them down apparently.

[IMG]http://www.allrad-magazin.de/_media/images/Zubehoer/Michaelis/Amarok_Bigfoot_rv.jpg]

i cunt remember where i read it. It was pre-nz release at the sout african 'fuck it up' /test track, rock sliding, oposite-corners (2 wheels) traction, hillclimbs, plenty of sand,
It wasnt a thrashing but did get a workout.
It looks better than a new double cab mitsi ute, though their M series engines with a diff lock will match a cruiser. outdoes the 'ranger's and i just plain dont like hiluxes.

Akzle
24th March 2014, 06:50
Got any 4D56 T laying around? The crank on this one feels funny.:shifty:

no. Petrol. Ive been toying with the idea of re planting it.
With an rd28.

unstuck
24th March 2014, 06:55
With an rd28.

Do eeet. :Punk::Punk:

willytheekid
24th March 2014, 07:09
Damn things litter the roads in ChCh.:angry:

Got nothing against REAL 4x4 owners-(those who actually require there features and use them often), but Its got fucking rediculas in ChCh...every dick & his dog owns one now..."cos of the quakes" :facepalm:

Im amazed that the MAJORITY of them are even allowed on the road due to excessive plumes of black smoke!...hell, even the local shitty bus fleet puts out less smoke!...and yet, they chuff around town, choking the shit out everyone around them while "4x4ing" over all the deadly! potholes (This involves slowing right down and bouncing about in the seat for dramatic effect apparently...while holding everyone else up of course:facepalm:)

I love the arguments for "But there safer!"....yeah?...so's a fucking tank!, but even one of those can't help the blind & stupid!...wanna be "safer", learn how to fuckin drive!, instead of armour plating your stupid arse so YOU can survive your next fuck up! (your cheating Dawins law damn you!)

...yuppies and shit arse drivers!...giving the real 4x4 drivers a bad name in ChCh since 22/02/2011! :yes:

SMOKEU
24th March 2014, 07:26
With an rd28.

Those RD28 engines are so gutless that they're completely horrible to drive. I had 2 RD28 Laurels, one of them a manual and they're just too slow to drive without thrashing it everywhere. The turbo ones are a bit better, but still too slow.

I love the arguments for "But there safer!"....yeah?...so's a fucking tank!, but even one of those can't help the blind & stupid!...wanna be "safer", learn how to fuckin drive!, instead of armour plating your stupid arse so YOU can survive your next fuck up! (your cheating Dawins law damn you!)

The whole "safer" argument is a often a lie. For the same amount of money as a 20 year old deathtrap SUV with no modern safety features, one could buy a modern car that is far safer. Some people just don't understand that vehicle mass can only do so much to keep the occupants safe.

unstuck
24th March 2014, 07:30
Those RD28 engines are so gutless that they're completely horrible to drive. I had 2 RD28 Laurels, one of them a manual and they're just too slow to drive without thrashing it everywhere. The turbo ones are a bit better, but still too slow.

Really, I had one in my CF bedford camper and it pulled like a horny schoolboy. Not a top speed cruiser, but reliable and strong.:niceone:

SMOKEU
24th March 2014, 07:36
Really, I had one in my CF bedford camper and it pulled like a horny schoolboy. Not a top speed cruiser, but reliable and strong.:niceone:

I'd never go there again, thirsty, unreliable, very high maintenance and oh so gutless. If I were to buy a diesel again, it would have a be a Euro. There's a reason why the Japanese even use European diesels in some of their vehicles these days, like Suzuki and Mitsubishi using a Renault diesel, or Toyota using a Peugeot/Citroen engine in their new European market vans.

JimO
24th March 2014, 08:02
sounds like the SUV has become the new Harley Davidson, my Hilux doesnt blow smoke, i dont hold people up and i dont use it for off roading, it is used for work and is always loaded, try backing a heavy trailer up a steep drive with a 2wd and it will be good by transmission, i have a bldr mate with a new commodore ute and he hates it, wished he still had his old courier

T.W.R
24th March 2014, 08:50
My reluctance to take mine boulder bashing has to do with it being the family wagon. Not the possibility it could be scratched. To be fair 4x4 has only been engaged on a few driveways that otherwise there would be no motion and a few rutted gravel roads. A blessing when on honey moon we took the scenic route and discovered the route the gps took us would be better described as a washed out goat track.

Would I ever take it mudding or boulder bashing? Probably not without different tyres and a suspension upgrade. (Bighorn Lotus). Would I take it goat tracking or fire breaking? Yes. But that is the level it is equipped for. I doubt anyone here would take a Moto Guzzi Stelvio ( even an old beater) on the 42nd traverse without a few mods.

So in essence with the way you're worded your post, apart from a couple of minor occasions the 4wd is redundant; Bit pointless having it then aye....you do know there are vehicle manufacturers that build non 4wd family wagons, station wagons, & people movers.

As my BJ73 Landcruiser (3.4lt diesel) is used for a purpose, it's running 32x11.5 tyres, heavy duty suspension & linkages, 50mm liftkit, snorkel, PTO winch etc. But at the height of the season it's doing 300km a week off road....sometimes navigating virgin terrain, wading through 1m+ water crossings etc or getting loaded up with 3-4-5 guys and heading off inland hours away from shingle roads to tramping/hunting huts.
If I want to travel anywhere on the road I've got a 3lt V6 sedan thats more than capable of transporting myself and upto 4 other passengers & gear with ease.
And if I want bugger off by myself anywhere the bike has more than enough capability to do the job

Big Dog
24th March 2014, 09:42
So in essence with the way you're worded your post, apart from a couple of minor occasions the 4wd is redundant; Bit pointless having it then aye....you do know there are vehicle manufacturers that build non 4wd family wagons, station wagons, & people movers.

As my BJ73 Landcruiser (3.4lt diesel) is used for a purpose, it's running 32x11.5 tyres, heavy duty suspension & linkages, 50mm liftkit, snorkel, PTO winch etc. But at the height of the season it's doing 300km a week off road....sometimes navigating virgin terrain, wading through 1m+ water crossings etc or getting loaded up with 3-4-5 guys and heading off inland hours away from shingle roads to tramping/hunting huts.
If I want to travel anywhere on the road I've got a 3lt V6 sedan thats more than capable of transporting myself and upto 4 other passengers & gear with ease.
And if I want bugger off by myself anywhere the bike has more than enough capability to do the job

Won't seat my 5 kids and the wife though will it?

T.W.R
24th March 2014, 10:38

The landcruiser is a 5 seater, 7 seater if dickie seats are fitted in the back :bleh:

5 kids though...you need to tie a knot in it :msn-wink:

slofox
24th March 2014, 10:49
they some fucking self centred arrogant gay shit.
Not once. ONCE. Have i seen one demonstrate what i could call 'good driving'.
Most dont even make the 'average fuckwit' grade.
Maybe they should add trap doors at dealerships. As soon as shits signed *schwing!* into a spiked pit with rabid dogs and mutant piranhas.

Fuck yeah!

Banditbandit
24th March 2014, 11:53
Fuck me .. you all sound much like a bunch of twats moaning about motorcycles on the road ...

When did you all turn into such twats?

4x4s don't get in the way - they're just moving chicanes ... makes riding more fun

Tazz
24th March 2014, 12:12
The things have been annoying in the past when travelling in the car but these days i can honestly say i am starting to loathe the fucking things coming back from Christchurch today in the ute we came across 2 both late model polished up complete with tyre blacked tyres/chrome rims and all the wank you could think of having a "hold up everything in the passing lanes cause the turds run outta puff fest' which went on for bloody miles:clap:What is the it seems ever growing attraction to these ridiculous things?cant imagine they handle there fucking gutless and most of em have more chance of winning lotto than going off road.If the things covered in shit with dogs on the back i can understand but the rest...must be plenty on here that own one enlighten me please.Cant see through them cant see round them they hold up everyone else on the road,there a fucking disease.That feels better rant over.

Sounds like someone is having a hard time realizing the world doesn't revolve around them and their travel plans ;)

If it's not one one driver/type of vehicle holding you up it will be another about 30 seconds in front of it.
You might need to start taking public transport of being chauffeur driven if things like this are winding you up to this point :rolleyes:

BoristheBiter
24th March 2014, 12:25
Sounds like someone is having a hard time realizing the world doesn't revolve around them and their travel plans ;)

If it's not one one driver/type of vehicle holding you up it will be another about 30 seconds in front of it.
You might need to start taking public transport of being chauffeur driven if things like this are winding you up to this point :rolleyes:

Yep. It's not just 4x4's. The average speed now seems to be 90pkh, with no following distance, no thought of overtaking until the passing lane where it becomes nascar.

cynna
24th March 2014, 12:35
most of my riding is done off the seal these days and will be getting another 4wd as soon as i have the $$$ - regretted selling my old one

Edbear
24th March 2014, 12:55
Jesus Ed those figures are the reason i wouldnt buy one,flannels are cheap at the Warehouse and waters still free or if thats to hard i would just watch the jug boil.Like riding a bike driving a car is supposed to be enjoyable not an alternative to counting sheep.

Aha you need to drive a new one. You'd be amazed how good they are!

Try & achieve that in real life.

They did. The worst one guy managed was 2.2lt/100k. One got 1.7 the other got 1.9. They claimed the figure was a real one and seems they were right. I have no problem matching the 7.9 quoted for the Kizashi, and that's with the air - con on. Real world figure though is about 8.8. Keeping up to speed, I average 7.8 on a trip and 8.9 around town. Hoofing it back from Taupo yesterday, while avoiding getting tickets, I did several full throttle passing maneuvers at speeds up to 1** , and got home with 8.1 on the meter. Not bad for a 2.4 lt CVT auto with the air-con always on. I can get it down to 7.1 on a trip taking it easy while still maintaining 100+ but within the tolerance.

imdying
24th March 2014, 13:00
coming back from Christchurch today

What is the it seems ever growing attraction to these ridiculous things?That would be alloy wheels being dented, and cars written off due to cracked chassis from hitting pot holes, many times daily.

I'm with you in general, but I can definitely see why the average person living in Christchurch is keen on them at the moment.

Edbear
24th March 2014, 13:01
PS. The only reason I am thinking of the Outlander is the economy. I was going to go for the Honda Insight as the best small car I have driven. But nothing gets anywhere near these figures!

Swoop
24th March 2014, 13:42
I believe Peter Brock put it best. He said the 4x4 phenomenon was brought about by people getting out of their Bongo Wagons and into a 4x4.
At least you could camp in a bongo.

The cayenne.
It might perform, but it is so ugly it should have been designed by Picasso to improve its looks.
It is an indicator of the person who purchased it. "Could afford a Range Rover but really isn't intelligent enough to do so".

As for the blingy utes...
I laughed this morning, watching a pajero plodding along... on massive chrome rims and very low profile rubber tyres.

Talk about sprinkling glitter on a turd.

...yuppies and shit arse drivers!...
Ahh. The prius.
I had the mis-pleasure to ride in the back of one while visiting wellytown last week. What a painful experience that was! TOP TIP: NEVER put more than two people in a prius taxi!

neels
24th March 2014, 13:52
PS. The only reason I am thinking of the Outlander is the economy. I was going to go for the Honda Insight as the best small car I have driven. But nothing gets anywhere near these figures!
Figures do look pretty good, and going by some rough maths from the sales speak even with only a 50k range fully electric and 5 hours charging it looks equivalent cost wise to 2l/100k. Once the battery's flat and it's petrol only it would be interesting to see what the economy is like.

Wonder what would happen to the national grid and electricity prices if everyone went out and bought one tomorrow......

BoristheBiter
24th March 2014, 14:03
Aha you need to drive a new one. You'd be amazed how good they are!

They did. The worst one guy managed was 2.2lt/100k. One got 1.7 the other got 1.9. They claimed the figure was a real one and seems they were right. I have no problem matching the 7.9 quoted for the Kizashi, and that's with the air - con on. Real world figure though is about 8.8. Keeping up to speed, I average 7.8 on a trip and 8.9 around town. Hoofing it back from Taupo yesterday, while avoiding getting tickets, I did several full throttle passing maneuvers at speeds up to 1** , and got home with 8.1 on the meter. Not bad for a 2.4 lt CVT auto with the air-con always on. I can get it down to 7.1 on a trip taking it easy while still maintaining 100+ but within the tolerance.

The only true way of measuring the economy is,
fill the tank full so you can't get anymore fuel in, rest trip meter,
drive until the tank is empty,
fill the tank again and see how much fuel goes in, see how many km's you've driven,
work out the per L/100km.

my ute has read as low as 7.2 but is always 9.8ish if you do it properly.

Banditbandit
24th March 2014, 14:05

If you like the Outlander ... have a look at the ASX ..

cynna
24th March 2014, 14:44
That would be alloy wheels being dented, and cars written off due to cracked chassis from hitting pot holes, many times daily.

I'm with you in general, but I can definitely see why the average person living in Christchurch is keen on them at the moment.

true - i have had three bent rims fixed on my car- royce clive engineering is the place to go....

my front spoiler has ripped out the corner mounts and is taped on - the bumper shop said its too much to fix as each guard has to come off

just waiting for it to die so i can get a 4wd again - floods and the snow we have had over past few years is another good reason to get one

Edbear
24th March 2014, 14:46
If you like the Outlander ... have a look at the ASX ..

Like I said, though, it's only the economy in consideration here, and not even the Insight or Prius can get close. I don't need a big vehicle and the Insight would be my top choice for its combination of economy and driveability along with its beaut versatility.

My view is that the PHEV is so economical it's a no-brainer for anyone considering a new vehicle. Driving as a hybrid averaging 2lt/100km gives a range of around 3,000km on a tank of gas!

Scuba_Steve
24th March 2014, 17:32
You would want to have a good long test drive of one as I have heard some of the hybrids on the market do not live up to their economy claims. Battery life and the cost of replacement batteries would be an issue too.

yep I think someone said replacing the batts in the Prius was to the tune of around 7000$ & they're recommended to be done every 8yrs (course I think that was dealer so could be cheaper)

Edbear
24th March 2014, 17:42
You would want to have a good long test drive of one as I have heard some of the hybrids on the market do not live up to their economy claims. Battery life and the cost of replacement batteries would be an issue too.

I have driven most of the hybrids, the Insight several times and have long considered it to be the best small car in the market regardless being a hybrid or not. Battery life is yet to be proven as there are a lot of older Prius' running around. Personally, I don't like the Prius, too expensive for what you get and even the latest version doesn't drive as well as the Honda Insight or Jazz.

pritch
24th March 2014, 18:29
riding a bike driving a car is supposed to be enjoyable not an alternative to counting sheep.

Exactly. When i see one of those I assume the person behind the wheel can't drive. Nobody who likes driving would be behind the wheel of one of those things.

Best to give the bloody things plenty room.

DMNTD
24th March 2014, 18:30

Oi! I love my shitty old '96 Surf, but it's covered in mud and now dents!
The only road driving it gets it to and from off roading etc

Edbear
24th March 2014, 18:47
Exactly. When i see one of those I assume the person behind the wheel can't drive. Nobody who likes driving would be behind the wheel of one of those things.

Best to give the bloody things plenty room.

That's why I chose the Kizashi over the others. It is a proper sports sedan and runs away from most vehicles on a winding road. The only thing three times the money would get you is more power. However for most situations it's plenty fast enough. I do plan on getting it chipped though.

Re: The PHEV, I simply can't ignore those figures. If the Kizashi had that it would be perfect for me.

imac
24th March 2014, 19:53
Fuck me .. you all sound much like a bunch of twats moaning about motorcycles on the road ...

When did you all turn into such twats?

4x4s don't get in the way - they're just moving chicanes ... makes riding more fun

What you said

Edbear
25th March 2014, 19:09
Figures do look pretty good, and going by some rough maths from the sales speak even with only a 50k range fully electric and 5 hours charging it looks equivalent cost wise to 2l/100k. Once the battery's flat and it's petrol only it would be interesting to see what the economy is like.

Wonder what would happen to the national grid and electricity prices if everyone went out and bought one tomorrow......

Well, I went and took it out for a drive this afternoon. Short story is that it lives up to the claims. Plenty of power when you give it the stick, rides, handles and steers fine. I could see myself doing long trips in comfort. Downsides? Minor, really. It's bigger than most people need of course but easy to drive for sure. You do need to use a lot more throttle than you would normally otherwise it's a bit sluggish off the line. Lag, similar to turbo lag, when going to overtake means adjusting for that but it would be as fast as the Kizashi in most situations requiring grunt. It easily held its speed up the Albany hill with good acceleration available if you wanted it.

Seamless integration of the components makes it easy to get used to and by the time I got back to the dealer, I was sold on it. No it's not perfect but it is a long way ahead of anything else and 1.9lt/100km is nearly 150mpg in the old money! The size and power of a full size vehicle with the economy of a small scooter! Rugged enough to finish a tough off road rally, tow anything while carrying five in luxury, it's a winner in my opinion.

Edbear
25th March 2014, 19:19
Oh, forgot to mention, once you have used up most of the battery in full electric mode the motor cuts in to drive both the electric motors and recharge the battery. Claims of around 800 km in petrol only mode wouldn't happen in practice as after about 10 min the battery pack is charged enough to take over again. So you are looking at about 3000km range before needing to fill up again.

Scuba_Steve
25th March 2014, 19:35
Rugged enough to finish a tough off road rally

I don't know about that, apparently it's a SUV, so designed to fold like origami at the 1st minor impact; It's how these things get their 4/5 star ratings.

Edbear
25th March 2014, 19:38
I don't know about that, apparently it's a SUV, so designed to fold like origami at the 1st minor impact; It's how these things get their 4/5 star ratings.

Nah, they actually put two of them in one and both finished. Other vehicles failed. I will get the link and post it if I can find it.

Edbear
25th March 2014, 20:07
The off road rally was the 2013 Asia cross country in Thailand, and only 20% of vehicles finished it.

I am a little bit confused now, though, as to the true long journey mileage. I need to ask them for clarification on a point. I will get back to you.

MD
25th March 2014, 20:17
Don't start me on the SUV/4WD epidemic on our roads. I had my whinge here -
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/163340-Myth-busted-drove-a-SUV-over-Rimutakas-They-can-be-steered

It's the selfishness of city dwellers using them that pisses me off. They hold up traffic, obstruct others visibility, cut corners, use too much material to manufacture and run, place others at risk in a collision. You hear the same excuse, oh I feel safer in a SUV. Reason being Mummy feels safer driving badly in her 2 tonne ugly SUV because anyone she runs into is more likely to die than her. Stupidity of that line of thought is they are now more likely to have a head on with another useless driver in an equal mass SUV.

Try and park anywhere in a CBD car park and these behemoths are hogging a share of the spaces on either side. If you feel the need to drive a mini-truck to the shops then find a bloody TRUCK park, don't use a car space.

Edbear
25th March 2014, 20:34
Hmmm. Seems I was a bit hasty in looking at the fuel consumption figures after all. That 2lt/100km figure is for short distances running on mainly battery power. Over longer distances the actual figure is about 45mpg or around 6lt/100km. So you could get about 1000km on a tank which is the same as the Kizashi. This is not made clear in the ads or most of the drive tests I have read. So while very economical for an SUV the main advantage would be in daily commuting less than 60 km per day.

Bummer! So the Honda Insight and Jazz hybrids at 4.6lt/100km over all are still the best choice for me. Cheaper too at half the price.

Scuba_Steve
25th March 2014, 20:45
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/163340-Myth-busted-drove-a-SUV-over-Rimutakas-They-can-be-steered

Yea I remember that thread.
If it's banged up & got mud/dirt on it it's a 4WD; If it's shiny, big & might have a light dusting at best it's a SUV.
Most these perceived "safety advantages" are redundant & disappeared with chassis & the 80's

The off road rally was the 2013 Asia cross country in Thailand, and only 20% of vehicles finished it.

I am a little bit confused now, though, as to the true long journey mileage. I need to ask them for clarification on a point. I will get back to you.

Well apparently one of the mods wasn't a chassis tho a roll cage was added in exchange
"the only modifications being the regular cross-country racing routine of upgraded shock absorbers and springs, roll cage, under floor protection, exhaust and snorkel duct, etc…”

Scuba_Steve
25th March 2014, 20:50
Hmmm. Seems I was a bit hasty in looking at the fuel consumption figures after all. That 2lt/100km figure is for short distances running on mainly battery power. Over longer distances the actual figure is about 45mpg or around 6lt/100km. So you could get about 1000km on a tank which is the same as the Kizashi. This is not made clear in the ads or most of the drive tests I have read. So while very economical for an SUV the main advantage would be in daily commuting less than 60 km per day.

Bummer! So the Honda Insight and Jazz hybrids at 4.6lt/100km over all are still the best choice for me. Cheaper too at half the price.

This page seems to mention it more accurately (provided I'm looking at the correct vehicle here) (http://www.mmnz.co.nz/outlander/options/compare/) It's Mitsi's own site too.

Scrap that, it seems on closer inspection my Googley search of "mitsi PHEV" led me to the wrong place, they're just the standard models

SMOKEU
25th March 2014, 21:02
If it's banged up & got mud/dirt on it it's a 4WD; If it's shiny, big & might have a light dusting at best it's a SUV.

Most Subaru owners don't take their vehicles offroading, and they're not 2WD, so they must be 4WD, and a Legacy or Impreza is not an SUV...

Scuba_Steve
25th March 2014, 21:05
Most Subaru owners don't take their vehicles offroading, and they're not 2WD, so they must be 4WD, and a Legacy or Impreza is not an SUV...

Think most nowadays are called AWD's not 4WD's

mstriumph
26th March 2014, 00:19

................. place others at risk in a collision. You hear the same excuse, oh I feel safer in a SUV. Reason being Mummy feels safer driving badly in her 2 tonne ugly SUV because anyone she runs into is more likely to die than her. ..........................

I have taken a sacred vow that any Mummy who drives badly in aforementioned SUV into me had better make very sure she kills me because, otherwise, she'll be far from safe.

god, how I LOATH the sisterhood
"Oh look at dainty widdle me dwiving this great big shiny vehicle ... doesn't it make me look sooooooooooooooo sweet"

avgas
26th March 2014, 00:48
The Cayenne has a far smarter drivetrain than those grossly overpriced Hiluxes and other Japanese POS. All a Cayanne really needs is some decent offroading tyres and they're..
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7NPq4kv9k7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unstuck
26th March 2014, 06:27
A real 4x4 has a stubby lever, anything with awd and no stubby lever is just a friend of the petrol companies.

JimO
26th March 2014, 06:31
all you haters out there blithering on about other peoples mode of transport what a joke, large motorcycles would have to be the most inefficient mode of transport, for the cost of owning and running a big bike you could own a average sized car that could carry 5 people in comfort and safety, for every 1 of you moaning about SUVs there will be a hundred motorists pissed off with the temporary kiwis on bikes costing thousands in hospital and acc costs lane splitting and speeding everywhere.............judge not least ye be judged

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x67/jim157/images-2_zpscc774f08.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/user/jim157/media/images-2_zpscc774f08.jpg.html)

neels
26th March 2014, 09:53

Pretty much what I thought, super good fuel economy when you've charged it from the national grid, but only for short range. After that you're into good petrol fuel economy, probably with help from regenerative braking etc.

Still can't see the advantage over a turbo diesel at less than 5l/100k, even when you add in the extra rego cost and RUC.

SPman
26th March 2014, 12:59
Also if you think about it all cars in the 30s and 40s were just as tall as todays 4wds.
and handled about as well.......

SNF
26th March 2014, 17:15
The ultimate accessory to pump up a small self images. Doesn't help they can go herp-derp over a curb. Or that they come with lazy gearboxes encouraging the inept latte sipping sluts to swerve dangerously around in them. Don't we ride motorbikes? Twist it! And let the tyres down when they aren't looking :P

unstuck
26th March 2014, 17:30
Twist it! And let the tyres down when they aren't looking :P

I find it immensely more satisfying to let the tires down while they watch.:devil2:

JimO
26th March 2014, 18:00
I find it immensely more satisfying to let the tires down while they watch.:devil2:
wow a internet tough guy

unstuck
27th March 2014, 10:16
wow a internet tough guy

Massive. :Punk::Punk:

Banditbandit
27th March 2014, 15:16
:killingme So - it's confirmed - either a big dick or a big prick ???

unstuck
27th March 2014, 15:55
:killingme So - it's confirmed - either a big dick or a big prick ???

Bigger prick than dick methinks.:bleh:

98tls
28th March 2014, 17:10
I am not going to wave to you any more 98tls :wavey: . :oi-grr: . You have really hurt my feelings I think I have got the sulks now! :bleh: My 4x4 SUV is only 2WD. :crybaby:

Hi John,mrs said she was having a yarn to you the other day and you mentioned this thread/rant:laugh:

98tls
28th March 2014, 18:02

Yea but hes no plans to take your 5 kids and wife anywhere so a moot point eh.(cheers pzkpfw.lol..)

98tls
28th March 2014, 18:05
sounds like the SUV has become the new Harley Davidson, my Hilux doesnt blow smoke, i dont hold people up and i dont use it for off roading, it is used for work and is always loaded, try backing a heavy trailer up a steep drive with a 2wd and it will be good by transmission, i have a bldr mate with a new commodore ute and he hates it, wished he still had his old courier

All good jimmy i cant imagine you would go the entire length of a passing lane to pass one car whilst holding up many.