PDA

View Full Version : MotoGP riders' salaries

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 07:55
just read ( Probally bullshit as it is on facebook) that Dovi is on $1m per year and CC is on $1.2 M per year

The real shocker though was that Nicki H is on $4m per year and Collin is in $950-000

sil3nt
28th March 2014, 08:21
I'll do it for half of what Colin gets paid!

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 08:28
I'll do it for half of what Colin gets paid!

hahaha apparently a lot of the salary for Collin and Nicki comes from Honda and Yamaha USA, but b fefed if Nicki is worth $4m in my eyes but I guess that is marketing

They would be better off spending the money with young riders in the MOTO2 class first to bring on the future USA Motogp stars and forget about the past

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2014, 09:40
Is that all?

Seriously. I guess that is just base salary, and they can reap whatever they want from their other endorsement deals: the sunglass and sugar water suppliers frinstance.

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 09:52
Is that all?

Seriously. I guess that is just base salary, and they can reap whatever they want from their other endorsement deals: the sunglass and sugar water suppliers frinstance.

And that is why VR still makes a shit load more than any other rider out there

Oscar
28th March 2014, 10:53
just read ( Probally bullshit as it is on facebook) that Dovi is on $1m per year and CC is on $1.2 M per year

The real shocker though was that Nicki H is on $4m per year and Collin is in $950-000

I was told that CC went from a paltry 300,000 Euro to 3m with Ducati.

pritch
28th March 2014, 11:02
The figure I saw for CC was 6m pounds but that may have been for the two years. Things are not that great for everybody though, some riders have to pay for their ride and there have been several recent mentions of at least one of the teams being unable to pay their bills.

Went to the dentist this morning and much to my surprise they had a bike mag in the waiting room - as recent as last year too. There was an article about the MT-09.
There was also a page by Toby Moody he mentioned a figure of L250,000 per month for CC.

He also commented on the number of emails etc he had received complaining about the high cost of tickets to the Silverstone MotoGP round. He said a large percentage of the messages included the comment, "Sent from my iPad." He thought it somewhat anomalous that people would shell out $1,000 for the iDevice of their choice but then claim they couldn't afford the price of a ticket to watch the best riders in the world compete.

This might be the phenomenon increasingly referred to as a "first world problem"?

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 11:05
And that is why VR still makes a shit load more than any other rider out there

I'd say that'll be short lived with MM's stocks on the rise.

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 11:12

Agreed mate, he is going to make multi multi and deserves too

pritch
28th March 2014, 11:13

Not necessarily, MM has signed with the merchandising firm VR46. There's more than one way to make money.

It was VR who advised MM not to take the #1 plate. Keeping the number 93 keeps the merchandising simple. So now we know the real reason Rossi didn't take it.

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 11:22
Not necessarily, MM has signed with the merchandising firm VR46. There's more than one way to make money.

It was VR who advised MM not to take the #1 plate. Keeping the number 93 keeps the merchandising simple. So now we know the real reason Rossi didn't take it.

That may well be the case...but I bet MM can name his price from Mr Honda...and it won't be cheap. And whilst I hear ya re the #93 for that purpose...a lot of those guys believe in the curse of the #1 plate. But fuck me...if I'd earnt it, I'd sure as fuck run it. No prob's merchandising if you have it for five years on the trot a-la Mick Doohan eh! Rossi is a superstitious fucker...so hardly any wonder he doesn't run with it.

Oscar
28th March 2014, 11:27
That may well be the case...but I bet MM can name his price from Mr Honda...and it won't be cheap. And whilst I hear ya re the #93 for that purpose...a lot of those guys believe in the curse of the #1 plate. But fuck me...if I'd earnt it, I'd sure as fuck run it. No prob's merchandising if you have it for five years on the trot a-la Mick Doohan eh! Rossi is a superstitious fucker...so hardly any wonder he doesn't run with it.

I doubt that Mick Doohan made anywhere near the coin that VR has made out of #46 merchandising.

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 11:34
I doubt that Mick Doohan made anywhere near the coin that VR has made out of #46 merchandising.

Don't recall ever saying anything like he did or would've Oscar. But Mick Doohan at the time could pretty much name his price to Mr Honda, as Rossi could've in the day. But that day has gone for Rossi now, but not for MM is my point. Rossi's an extrememly schrewd fellow and will obviously only ever get wealthier. But it won't be from Mr Yamaha.

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 11:38
Don't recall ever saying anything like he did or would've Oscar. But Mick Doohan at the time could pretty much name his price to Mr Honda, as Rossi could've in the day. But that day has gone for Rossi now, but not for MM is my point. Rossi's an extrememly schrewd fellow and will obviously only ever get wealthier. But it won't be from Mr Yamaha.

Yep Mr Yamaha is just a way for VR to continue marketing the No, apart from having the fun doing what he does with his life

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 11:40
Yep Mr Yamaha is just a way for VR to continue marketing the No, apart from having the fun doing what he does with his life

Absolutely. And why the hell not! Be very surprised if Mr Yamaha ain't paying Lorenzo quite a bt more than he is Rossi. BUt the marketing dept will still love Rossi more I'm sure.

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 11:43
Absolutely. And why the hell not! Be very surprised if Mr Yamaha ain't paying Lorenzo quite a bt more than he is Rossi. BUt the marketing dept will still love Rossi more I'm sure.

I thing Lorenzo would be stupid not to sign up for Honda for 2015, I think he will get more money from Honda than Yamaha as Ped will be gone!

pritch
28th March 2014, 13:29
Honda reportedly want Lorenzo which is presumably why Yamaha want to start talks after the second race. That'd seem an odd time though because they weren't really competitive at CoTA last year. Anyhoo Lorenzo may find that it's raining gold bars from somewhere... Pedrosa would've been gone already if Stoner hadn't quit.

Oh, and speaking of #27, I see he bought a new Hoyt hunting bow the other day. Complicated looking piece of kit I didn't even recognise it as a bow inititially.
One of these: www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/

Must be great to have bugger all to do all day but play with your toys. Oh hang on... :whistle:

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 13:32
Oh, and speaking of #27, I see he bought a new Hoyt hunting bow the other day. Complicated looking piece of kit I didn't even recognise it as a bow inititially.
One of these: www.hoyt.com/compound_bows/

Must be great to have bugger all to do all day but play with your toys. Oh hang on... :whistle:

Yeah I've seen one of those in action on some doco from memory. Crazy looking things eh. And yeah...go buy yourself some more toys man!

Shaun Harris
28th March 2014, 13:34

Haha He is way to young to stay doing that for ever though as Hard earned as it was

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2014, 16:24

Neither did Stoner. My view is the defending champ should be compelled by DORNA to run the number one plate. Fuck marketing .. it gives the also rans something to aim for, and the uneducated punters something they can understand.

Of course with the NASCAR-isation of the grid tht is what they are trying to attract. NASCAR Dads on ESPN. Thats why they MUST have some Yanks at or near the top. The last time any of them watched it was on "Wide World of Sports" and that young kid Kenny Roberts was being chased by that kid, whats his name? Spender? Spencer? (By the way, wait till they are ALL on control ECU and software - Oh: Marquez is .2 a lap quicker than anyone else? Lets remotely and without telling him knock ten hp off his top end to keep things "interesting" - Whatsisname Espozito in the DORNA tent with a laptop and the go- fast go slow buttons....)

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2014, 16:27
Honda reportedly want Lorenzo which is presumably why Yamaha want to start talks after the second race. That'd seem an odd time though because they weren't really competitive at CoTA last year. Anyhoo Lorenzo may find that it's raining gold bars from somewhere... Pedrosa would've been gone already if Stoner hadn't quit.

So the two quickest riders on the fastest bikes? Who'd a thunk it?

Don't most of the major players come off contract for next season? I think I read that somewhere.

Brian d marge
28th March 2014, 16:49
There are 2000 odd people here at HRC give or take a few

Im on shit money, some of the managers would be on 400 000 yen a month,,,workers around 300 000 ( at a guess)

and Perdrosa is on?

The big H spends a bit of coin , me thinks

Stephen

though they do work hard , very hard for the money

Autech
28th March 2014, 17:06
I imagine Pedrosa is still on some seriously good coin, he's a solid runner that can get the bike on the Podium year in year out and has always had the ability to win the championship, just not the luck.

More interesting would be the people at the back, say that new Aussie chap, I'd put the house on it that he's earning next to nothing and that team is scraping through just to get the bike on the grid.

Any indication to what Aleix Espagaro would be paid?

Marmoot
28th March 2014, 17:13
MotoGP riders get paid? :crazy:
And here I am thinking 'damn to go into that well organised track weekend like that I bet they'd have to pay more than $90 each time'.

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 17:44
Neither did Stoner. My view is the defending champ should be compelled by DORNA to run the number one plate. )

Stoner actually ran it both years after he won the title my good fellow. 2008 on the Duc and again in 2012 when Honda mounted.

AllanB
28th March 2014, 17:49
$100k and unlimited brolly dollies .....

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2014, 17:57
Stoner actually ran it both years after he won the title my good fellow. 2008 on the Duc and again in 2012 when Honda mounted.

Wait whut? I am getting my motocourses out. If youare right i owe you a beersy. :-)

cs363
28th March 2014, 18:13
Wait whut? I am getting my motocourses out. If youare right i owe you a beersy. :-)

Doh....never mind the Motocourses, best head straight to the wholesalers!
Pete looks thirsty...

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/xlarge/Stoner_Valencia.jpg

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/mgp_2012_05_18_Le-Mans_CaseyStoner_9300.jpg

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 18:16

Doh....never mind the Motocourses, best head straight to the wholesalers!
Pete looks thirsty...

]

Pete's ALWAYS thirsty.

cs363
28th March 2014, 18:25
Pete's ALWAYS thirsty.

Any truth to the rumour that I'm starting right now, that this is your preferred tipple?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tPB4hKBq3sU/TWc2g8KikiI/AAAAAAAAOgk/v00kwxeHNMc/s1600/semen+bp.jpg

Keepin on track, and FWIW latest issue of UK Bike magazine has an article on Cal Crutchlow and they are saying his cheque from Ducati is rumoured to be 6 million quid, though as pritch said earlier I'd be thinking that was for the two year deal. He also gets a free Audi RS7 and a Q7 for the missus, a Panigale, a Diavel and a Pikes Peak Edition Multistrada, not to mention a holiday home in Tuscany (though they weren't clear if he owns that or it's courtesy of Ducati).

Crasherfromwayback
28th March 2014, 18:29
Any truth to the rumour that I'm starting right now, that this is your preferred tipple?

Keepin on track, and FWIW latest issue of UK Bike magazine has an article on Cal Crutchlow and they are saying his cheque from Ducati is rumoured to be 6 million quid, though as pritch said earlier I'd be thinking that was for the two year deal. He also gets a free Audi RS7 and a Q7 for the missus, a Panigale, a Diavel and a Pikes Peak Edition Multistrada, not to mention a holiday home in Tuscany (though they weren't clear if he owns that or it's courtesy of Ducati).

Anyone that even slightly knows me know's what I drink Bro! Fuck me...he ain't worth that.

Reckless
28th March 2014, 18:38

I agree we are seeing a changing of the guard. I'm waiting another race to see if it was a Qatar thing, MM leg still injured etc. See if Rossi keeps it up.
If he does and Lorenzo get into it too its gonna be a great season! We couldnt ask for a better changing aye!!

Burgess said this! True enough to:

Amongst several revealing comments, the Australian mechanic said, “At the age of 35 Rossi won’t be gaining many new fans this season. Right now the 10 year-olds are putting up Marc Marquez posters on their bedroom walls.”

Rossi's an extrememly schrewd fellow and will obviously only ever get wealthier. But it won't be from Mr Yamaha.

You could be wrong there this on the MotoGP site from his team boss

Marca: Yamaha will start Lorenzo and Rossi renewal talks soon
Friday, 21 March 2014
According to quotes from Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of the factory Yamaha team, in the Spanish newspaper Marca, the Japanese manufacturer want to keep Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi beyond this season and will start their contract renewal talks very soon.
Following the recent title sponsorship of the team as Movistar Yamaha MotoGP, Jarvis said of the two riders, "If possible we want to keep both of them. But it’s quite early in the season and we haven’t started talking to them about that yet. The talks will happen in the coming months, but that process will start within two or three races."

although hes still got the six race decision of his own yet

Burgess said this in the same interview about Rossi, “Valentino loves the whole process of going racing and enjoys the riding almost as much as winning.

cs363
28th March 2014, 18:40
Anyone that even slightly knows me know's what I drink Bro! Fuck me...he ain't worth that.

Oh well, worth a crack! Not that there's a great deal of difference between that and Steinies... lol :bleh:

He's probably fast enough to be worth that.........if he didn't crash so much, be interesting to see who's where at the end of the next race as that'll be a better indicator of who's on form this year than Doha with its low grip surface.
My money's still on Marquez for a repeat performance for the title though.

HenryDorsetCase
28th March 2014, 18:51

Bugger me days you're absolutely right. Whenever anyone mentions him I just have the image of 27 in my head. Wrong on KB twice in one day.... I think I'll just give up and go to bed....

merv
28th March 2014, 19:11

Lol so it does bring bad luck he never managed to follow on with a consecutive championship.

merv
28th March 2014, 19:12
Pete's ALWAYS thirsty.

and right!!

roogazza
29th March 2014, 07:30
Lol so it does bring bad luck he never managed to follow on with a consecutive championship.
Yes Merv, and only a few have done that.
Funny but championships are secondary for me, I'm there for the racing and wins. Hence I spend a lot of dosh attending at least a race a year.
But of course I have my favourite and it doesn't matter he's not the current champ whatsoever. VALEEEEEEE ! Vai tu VALE po 'di bellezza.

Crasherfromwayback
29th March 2014, 09:20

I think if he hadn't wasted his ankle at Indy in 2012 he'd have won a third. But if your aunty...

and right!!

Lol. Far from it mate. Wrong more often than I'm right.

jasonu
29th March 2014, 12:11
Of course with the NASCAR-isation of the grid tht is what they are trying to attract. NASCAR Dads on ESPN. Thats why they MUST have some Yanks at or near the top. The last time any of them watched it was on "Wide World of Sports" and that young kid Kenny Roberts was being chased by that kid, whats his name? Spender? Spencer?QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HenryDorsetCase;1130699971] Wrong on KB twice in one day.... I think I'll just give up and go to bed....

Make that 3 times today. MotoGP and the former (proper race bike) GP class 500GP, were/are attract a huge following here. Maybe not Spazcar numbers but still well subscribed to.

Shaun Harris
29th March 2014, 12:13
[QUOTE=HenryDorsetCase;1130699921]

Of course with the NASCAR-isation of the grid tht is what they are trying to attract. NASCAR Dads on ESPN. Thats why they MUST have some Yanks at or near the top. The last time any of them watched it was on "Wide World of Sports" and that young kid Kenny Roberts was being chased by that kid, whats his name? Spender? Spencer?QUOTE]

Make that 3 times today. MotoGP and the former (proper race bike) GP class 500GP, were/are attract a huge following here. Maybe not Spazcar numbers but still well subscribed to.

It will be years and years before we see another USA rider in the top of the Motogp class, they are just not spitting them out like they once were

Brett
29th March 2014, 17:14
Why is Rossi worth the coin? Because he draws the interest. Hell knows, even though he may be having an average season, I spend more time reading news about him than any other rider. That said, I think MM is a jolt of fresh energy in the sport. Rossi was, is and will continue to be such a character in the sport. Be good to see what he can do this season. I would really love to see Stoner return. That guy would be a very cool cat to chuck in amongst the pigeons.

Oscar
29th March 2014, 18:15
Why is Rossi worth the coin? Because he draws the interest. Hell knows, even though he may be having an average season, I spend more time reading news about him than any other rider. That said, I think MM is a jolt of fresh energy in the sport. Rossi was, is and will continue to be such a character in the sport. Be good to see what he can do this season. I would really love to see Stoner return. That guy would be a very cool cat to chuck in amongst the pigeons.

He might not be worth as much as you think.
He paid a massive tax bill a while ago.

Crasherfromwayback
29th March 2014, 19:39
. I would really love to see Stoner return. That guy would be a very cool cat to chuck in amongst the pigeons.

We live in hope. Love him or hate him...he'd spice it up a bit I reckon.

He might not be worth as much as you think.
He paid a massive tax bill a while ago.

Yeah what was the figure mate? Am I dreaming (again) or was it 40 mill Euro or summat? If that's the case...imagine what he's actually earnt!

Oscar
29th March 2014, 23:08
Am I dreaming (again) or was it 40 mill Euro or summat? If that's the case...imagine what he's actually earnt!

That sounds about right. Depending on who you listened to, it was between 35m Euro and US$120m

pritch
30th March 2014, 06:34
Yeah what was the figure mate? Am I dreaming (again) or was it 40 mill Euro or summat? If that's the case...imagine what he's actually earnt!

Seem to recall the figure was 30m. Back then he was reportedly worth about $us50 pa. He was up near the top money earners in sport.

Various mags post lists, Sports Digest for one

Brett
30th March 2014, 08:04
Yes his tax bill was quite big, but if he's been smart over the years, he will be worth a lot. he has earned over NZD$30-$40M for over 10 years now...if he has lived within his means and saved a few pretty pennies then he will still be well heeled.

p.dath
30th March 2014, 08:09

Don't forget about product endorsements, speaking engagements, etc. There is a lot extra to be made apart from their "salary".