PDA

View Full Version : arrow, scorpion, or two bros...mmmm...

CPB
2nd September 2005, 15:31
Greetings all,

I'm getting pricing for a new set of cans...carbon fibre oval numbers to pretty up the TLS...just wondering if anyone has recommendations or experience with arrow, scorpion and two bros or are they all much of a muchness?? I currently have the old school shiny two bros - hard packed by previous owner which growl like fuck...want a similar sound if poss...It will be a while before I can ride as I'm still healing, so plenty of time to gather advice/opinions etc...

Any tips, probs, points to ponder or otherwise??
Cheers. :niceone:

wkid_one
2nd September 2005, 15:34
Found 2 Bros to be arse on my VTR - they were alloy - so keeping them shiny sucked - plus the sound was only okay and the quality was average.

Switched to Scorpian pipes and they sounded heaps better.

bungbung
2nd September 2005, 15:34
I have Arrow carbon cans on my VTR. It's pretty loud, I wouldn't mind it a little quieter. I tried repacking them with silentsport, but there wasn't really any difference in volume.

The carbon seems to be a bit fragile however.

VTwin's SV1000 sounds awesome with stainless yoshi's

Stroker Girl
2nd September 2005, 15:37
Don't know much about the pipes performance, but my mate had scorpion's on his TRX and they sounded absolutely mean. :devil2:

scooterboynz
2nd September 2005, 15:42
hi ya , i had carbon arrows on my old tl1000r the carbon seemed to go brittle with the heat???? i had scorpion on my gsx-r750 and now have micron on my zx10 , reading in magazines etc,, the all seem to be pretty much similar in power gains etc,, i guess you just have to choose a brand you like!

vifferman
2nd September 2005, 15:43
Do you really have to go for carbon? V-twins give them a pretty hard time(probably the vibrations). Plus even if they're UV-stabilised, the harsh NZ sun wrecks the resin pretty quickly.

As has been said, 2-Bros are not good quality. But it depends what you want, where you can get them from, etc. Some makes you haven't mentioned are Micron and Remus, both of which look and sound pretty good. If it were me, I'd also check out Neptunes. I don't have any experience with them, but it's good to support a Kiwi company, and I've heard good things about them.

wkid_one
2nd September 2005, 15:48
You could put a Remus muffler from a 1999 Civic on.....they look pretty mean?

Sparky Mark
2nd September 2005, 15:51
The 2 Bros I've got on my VTR make a great growl! Performance wise I can't compare. I've only had it a couple of months. Good point about the alloy though, shiny they aint. I'd be interested to know what the differences with other VTR's is. :ride:

vifferman
2nd September 2005, 15:52
You could put a Remus muffler from a 1999 Civic on.....they look pretty mean?
That's very clever, Mr wkid. But Remus do make bike mufflers. A guy who used to work here had one on his CBRRR600RRRR, and it was very well-made, and sounded rather nice. Must've performed OK too, as he bought his bike from some well-know racer (can't remember the name) who'd fettled it with all sorts of performance bits, including HRC ignition and gearbox.

CPB
2nd September 2005, 15:53
...interesting points about the resulting brittle carbon can...wonder why they don't tell you that when you order them...ask about cans for TLS, that's the list you get...I'm certainly open to other brands, recommendations...have checked out neptune and they look ok too, although at the moment they'll have to modify a set for an SV1000 if I want them in a hurry...which I don't
I could always get silly and go yoshi...

bungbung
2nd September 2005, 15:54
For some bikes, regardless of the potential hp/torque changes from your new pipe (which may depend on jetting etc) you can save a considerable amount of weight. Twice as much (for twins) even.

vifferman
2nd September 2005, 15:55
The 2 Bros I've got on my VTR make a great growl! Performance wise I can't compare. I've only had it a couple of months. Good point about the alloy though, shiny they aint. I'd be interested to know what the differences with other VTR's is. :ride:
Hiya, Sparky Mark, and welcome to the Kiwi Biker gargre. :wavey:
When I had a VTR, I spent a lot of time on various Firestorm / Superhawk forums, and the 2-Bros did not have a good reputation either performance-wise, or for quality. But a lot of VTRs here have them as there was a special deal where Honda was selling them new with the 2Bros on.

vifferman
2nd September 2005, 15:58
For some bikes, regardless of the potential hp/torque changes from your new pipe (which may depend on jetting etc) you can save a considerable amount of weight. Twice as much (for twins) even.
Yeah, the VTR ones (Sankei) are VERY solidly made, which is weird coz the headers aren't. I side-swiped a car once (undertook it when it was turning left - D'Oh!!) and the right-hand pipe just bounced off the side of it with nothing more than a bit of paint scuffing on it.

CPB
2nd September 2005, 16:02

just a bit of elbow effort to keep the two bros shiny like this...I'm looking at carbon to join the black look of the rest of the bike...and by the sound of this thread - performace may well be an prob with the two bros thing

Sparky Mark
2nd September 2005, 16:02
Thanks for the welcome! Interesting about the 2 bros, I did wonder.

Good to be on here as I'm new to NZ. Hopefully I'll meet up with some of you guys for weekend spins and a jar or two!

Sparky Mark
2nd September 2005, 16:08
just a bit of elbow effort to keep the two bros shiny like this...I'm looking at carbon to join the black look of the rest of the bike...and by the sound of this thread - performace may well be an prob with the two bros thing
Oh well, I guess the cloths better come out at the weekend. Mines yellow so I guess the carbon wouldn't look too out of place.

Biff
2nd September 2005, 16:23
I've heard nothing but bad things about Two Brothers cans - bad build quality, discolour quickly and in one instance virtually fell apart within a year of fitting.

I vote Scorpion - or if you can afford it Akrapovic every time.

loosebruce
2nd September 2005, 16:36
Twins kill mufflers, spesh cheap carbon cans, even the 2 bros alloy cans wear out from the vibrations, mainly the RH side for some reason!!!! When getting a carbon can i'd recomend Microns, as they dont use the selve as a structual part of the muffler, the end caps bolt to the baffle tube and tighten up to press on the sleve with rubber o ring things, when the sleve is used to mount to the end caps it splits the carbon round the rivets or allen bolts whatever they use, yoshis are reasonably solid and so are the arrow carbon pipes, but the pick of the bunch would be Microns.

I've been through 3 sets of mufflers on TL's the best was the stock ones that me and Death attcked with a gas torch :devil2:

Dafe
3rd September 2005, 04:22
I've got "Two Brothers" on my SV1000 and my mate has "Two Brothers" on his TL1000. You really don't notice the difference, they sound identical.

VTwin has a set of "Yoshis" on his SV1000 and to be honest, I wouldn't say that one sounds more mongrel than the other. Once again they are virtually identical sounding.

Knowing what I know now..... I would probably go with the Yoshis.
Not based on sound, because there's so little difference, but purely because they are the nicer looking pipe. Pricewise, I do not know the difference.
I paid 1200 for my two cans.

LB
3rd September 2005, 04:30
Three out of our four bikes have Neptunes - worth getting in touch with Mark for a quote. Also you can choose the finish of the muffler (shiny stainless, brushed stainless, or shiny black).

www.neptunemufflers.co.nz

Zed
3rd September 2005, 06:27
You could put a Remus muffler from a 1999 Civic on.....they look pretty mean?You've been away from bikes faaaaaar too long Dan! :bye:

Zed
3rd September 2005, 06:37
Greetings all,

I'm getting pricing for a new set of cans...

Any tips, probs, points to ponder or otherwise??
Cheers. :niceone:Even though the carbon's are a good look, I've heard too many horror stories now about rapid deterioration to recommend them to anyone. All brands have a 'top of the line' range you could choose from so whatever you choose should look and sound good, depends on how many $$ we're talking about?

I'd love to shell out for some new pipes soon, the feeling of fresh grunty aftermarket pipes is exciting - enjoy!!

...and please post pics once your project is completed! :blip:

Zed
3rd September 2005, 06:41
just a bit of elbow effort to keep the two bros shiny like this...I'm looking at carbon to join the black look of the rest of the bike...and by the sound of this thread - performace may well be an prob with the two bros thingHmm going by that pic, black cans would be consistent with your bike and really enhance it well methinks! :cool:

avgas
3rd September 2005, 07:35
TBR pipes have that nice thump to em - so when the baffels get loose u sound like a Halo. They also boost your torque.
Arrows are awesome rev change mufflers, but if your not giving the the throttle bursts every few minutes they are probably no major benefit over the others.
Scopions have a nice raspy note to em, and apparently a boost to your hp(?)
Basically anything with give u a louder note - just different sounds, and if u want more power from your puppy dont forget to get your computer remapped.

CPB
5th September 2005, 12:48
:ride: Thanks for all the tips and advice!!!! This is going to be an interesting exercise, no doubt I'll get it wrong!!!...some of us have to learn the hard way...!!! :ride: