PDA

View Full Version : Great forum! My intro (411toaster)

411toaster
6th April 2014, 09:33
Hi All,

Pleased to meet you. Total Noob here, but dead keen on learning all I can to stay safe and keep riding fun.

I've very recently(last weekend) splashed out on my first bike. So Far I'm very happy with my Kawasaki Ninja 300. Has a number of features that help(?) a noob such as myself get adjusted.

The next thing ill point out is I've read on other forums that it's not a question of IF you drop your first bike, it's WHEN... I'm interested to know who agrees with this and who has never dropped any of their bikes or just their first. As this is just my intro I wont go on about this as I'm sure there are threads on this I'll have a look at shortly.

SO.. more about me - I'm PASSIONATE about kite surfing and rock climbing, and dabble in a bit of snowboarding. So I guess you could call me a bit of an adrenaline junky. Now with adding Motorcycling to the mix I would have to say this is the most dangerous interest added so far, but probably the most exciting!!

Cheers people, Stay Safe

fridayflash
6th April 2014, 09:39
nice new bike mate, welcome to the social pages. advice here will be good, bad and varied but if you hang in there youll sift through it. regular riding with experienced types is a good idea, there's a few groups you can get in with up your way:sunny:

ducatilover
6th April 2014, 09:44
Welcome mate,

There's absolutely no reason why you should drop your bike, even once. That's just bullshit.

Also, this website is not for motorcyclists, it's a political debate site <_<

Look in to rider training and learn how to do sick wheelies bro.

Grashopper
6th April 2014, 10:13
I've dropped my first bike and my second bike, which I'm still riding.

The first bike, slipping on loose gravel while backing it into a car park; and dropping it while trying not to put my feet down in a u-turn at the very first beginning. The second bike while stopping on a downhill slope with the foot on the brake to check my map. Needless to say I didn't pay attention for one short moment and my foot slipped... :facepalm:

Everybody I've talked to about this so far said they dropped their bikes one time or the other.

Someone here on kb said in a thread that they had never dropped their bike until they pushed it out of the garage for a photo and then slipped on gravel...

However, just because it may or may not have happened to other people does not mean it may or may not happen to you.

russd7
6th April 2014, 10:44
yeah ive dropped all my bikes at some stage or another, and had to pick the f**kers up again, but normally due to lapse in concentration. most embarrasing ones are when you forget to put ya side stand down in a crowded service station forecourt, only tend to do that once :sunny:

the first scratch on a new bike is always the hardest, the first one on my zzr 5 months after i got it was at the brass monkey leaving on a wet sunday morning and the front wheel decided it no longer wanted to go up hill, heavy bike to hold up with a pillion and gear on board tho i did find a nice stand pad where i fell over which i still own, silver lining in every cloud :2thumbsup

FJRider
6th April 2014, 16:32
yeah ive dropped all my bikes at some stage or another, and had to pick the f**kers up again, but normally due to lapse in concentration. most embarrasing ones are when you forget to put ya side stand down in a crowded service station forecourt, only tend to do that once :sunny:

Yep ... been there done that ... <_<

the first scratch on a new bike is always the hardest, the first one on my zzr 5 months after i got it was at the brass monkey leaving on a wet sunday morning and the front wheel decided it no longer wanted to go up hill, heavy bike to hold up with a pillion and gear on board tho i did find a nice stand pad where i fell over which i still own, silver lining in every cloud :2thumbsup

Not unusual to see even in the dry there ... the pillions don't like it much either ... :laugh:

If you are doing it wrong in any of your chosen interests ... you'll get hurt. So do it right ... :msn-wink:

Murray
6th April 2014, 19:44
nice new bike mate, welcome to the social pages. advice here will be good, bad and varied but if you hang in there youll sift through it. regular riding with experienced types is a good idea, there's a few groups you can get in with up your way:sunny:

Wheres my tie downs

Good to see your still alive hows it going

doing gentle annie over easter what you up to

fridayflash
6th April 2014, 21:15
hey murray

actually your tiedowns are gracing the wall of my garage :devil2: ill throw them on courier this week while im thinking of it. ive been down in chch working
home in napier breifly, you riding that big triumph?

Akzle
6th April 2014, 22:41
Hi All,

Pleased to meet you. Total Noob here, but dead keen on learning all I can to stay safe and keep riding fun.

I've very recently(last weekend) splashed out on my first bike. So Far I'm very happy with my Kawasaki Ninja 300. Has a number of features that help(?) a noob such as myself get adjusted.

The next thing ill point out is I've read on other forums that it's not a question of IF you drop your first bike, it's WHEN... I'm interested to know who agrees with this and who has never dropped any of their bikes or just their first. As this is just my intro I wont go on about this as I'm sure there are threads on this I'll have a look at shortly.

SO.. more about me - I'm PASSIONATE about kite surfing and rock climbing, and dabble in a bit of snowboarding. So I guess you could call me a bit of an adrenaline junky. Now with adding Motorcycling to the mix I would have to say this is the most dangerous interest added so far, but probably the most exciting!!

Cheers people, Stay Safe

motorcycling isnt dangerous.

I never dropped my first bike. Dropped every one since though.

And ive never forgotten the sidestand.
Fuck me, how do you morons feed yourselves?

nzspokes
7th April 2014, 06:03
Welcome.

Check out the Nass ans Sass threads for L plater rides with a bit of learning.... Nass is north auck and Sass is south.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/77111-North-Auckland-Street-Skills-NASS?highlight=sass

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/117274-South-Auckland-Street-Skills/page62?highlight=sass

Dangsta
7th April 2014, 09:05
Hi All,

Cheers people, Stay Safe

I've never dropped any of my bikes but that's because I'm awesome. If you're awesome then it stands to reason that you won't drop a bike or have an accident.

Guys, "first bike"..."total noob"....."adrenaline junky"...."Ninja 300". That's an awesome combo. Anybody up for a sweepstake? I'll give him 6 months. Any takers?

Best of luck for your first 5 and 3/4 months of riding.:niceone:

Ciao

Akzle
7th April 2014, 13:12
I've never dropped any of my bikes but that's because I'm awesome. If you're awesome then it stands to reason that you won't drop a bike or have an accident.

ahh, you seem to have used the word 'awesome' wrong..., i think what you meant was 'a fucking pussy'

f2dz
7th April 2014, 15:29
I've always heard it's not a matter of if you crash but when you crash, not in regards to dropping your bike. I suppose that's a part of crashing it still..

I've never dropped my bike aside from when some chick pulled out on me failing to give way to two flows of traffic.

Welcome to the forum anyway. Ninja 300s are very nice – I would've loved to have had one for a first bike.

EmBe
7th April 2014, 15:42
Hi All,

Cheers people, Stay Safe

It worries me that you put riding as the most dangerous, how are you riding this ninja 300, you taking it to the Isle of Man?! Riding's not dangerous but being on the road with other motorists can be so make sure you've got some good gear (boots, gloves, armoured jacket/pants, full face helmet) and wear it all the time when riding, even for that short mission the the shop :yes:
I won't say I've dropped a bike before, but I have 'helped one to the ground'. I've gotta get off my bike to get in into the carport cos there's no head room, lost balance one day and didn't have the strength to keep the bike up. But if you mean drop while on the road, well how many cars have you crashed?? Stay alert :cool:

Enjoy the rides dude and welcome to life on two wheels :headbang:

Tazz
7th April 2014, 16:38
H

Let me know if you're ever rocking through Picton. Have been trying to get into kite surfing slowly when time allows. Tis awesome fun. Worked out how to fit your gear on the Ninja yet? :laugh:

fridayflash
7th April 2014, 18:56
as for dropping bikes, first or otherwise...ive never actually road crashed a bike yet (pure fucken luck, trust me) but the throttle did stick on me when riding my frist bike in my folks backyard, i slipped off the back (to safety) and the suzuki a50 gathered speed accross the lawn 'til it rammed into the back
porch bending the front forks and wedging the front tyre hard against the sparkplug/head. it happened again a few years later..i had just assembled top end of rd350lc after installing new rings, and for some reason lost in the mists of time i had to pushstart the fucker, anyway the throttle stuck whilst i was barely side saddle...the bike took off like a rocket without me, gathered amazing speed and crashed into, then lept up into the peach tree i had to climb up a couple of feet to just to flip the killswitch hehe

beat that suckersssss..............

411toaster
9th April 2014, 21:33
[QUOTE=Dangsta;1130703716]I've never dropped any of my bikes but that's because I'm awesome. If you're awesome then it stands to reason that you won't drop a bike or have an accident.

Guys, "first bike"..."total noob"....."adrenaline junky"...."Ninja 300". That's an awesome combo. Anybody up for a sweepstake? I'll give him 6 months. Any takers?

Best of luck for your first 5 and 3/4 months of riding.:niceone:

Haha well put... We will see.. I do see biking as more of a convenient means of transport for now but that maybe because I'm so bloody tense riding while im learning. jeez it is fun though. I can see why people rave about it. Caging really seems boring now....

another thing while im ranting - 1 person per car on the way to work for almost every flippin cage.. If I were in charge I'd make a rule - Bus, Train, Cycle or Motorbike to work. That's it. I counted two cars of hundreds with more than one person the other morning! just nuts. I say bring out electric bikes !

411toaster
9th April 2014, 21:44
Let me know if you're ever rocking through Picton. Have been trying to get into kite surfing slowly when time allows. Tis awesome fun. Worked out how to fit your gear on the Ninja yet? :laugh:

Kiting is still the ultimate! Haven't worked this out yet, the ability to carry gear on a bike... but im sure it is possible... maybe a nifty sort of board holder on the back that keeps it streamlined with the wind. Any inventors around? The next tricky thing would be how to stop someone nicking your gear while out! ... this is the only reason I still have a car. To transport the kite gear. Otherwise I'd just go bike only all the way...

411toaster
9th April 2014, 21:56
It worries me that you put riding as the most dangerous, how are you riding this ninja 300, you taking it to the Isle of Man?! Riding's not dangerous but being on the road with other motorists can be so make sure you've got some good gear (boots, gloves, armoured jacket/pants, full face helmet) and wear it all the time when riding, even for that short mission the the shop :yes:
I won't say I've dropped a bike before, but I have 'helped one to the ground'. I've gotta get off my bike to get in into the carport cos there's no head room, lost balance one day and didn't have the strength to keep the bike up. But if you mean drop while on the road, well how many cars have you crashed?? Stay alert :cool:

Enjoy the rides dude and welcome to life on two wheels :headbang:

I'm riding the ninja like someone that is in the early stages of learning. i.e. ultra careful, covered in armor (always will), and far too tense in the arms so I tire easily! haha ill get better at relaxing I guess. But cheers for the advice! from everyone infact, it's much appreciated..

I've been driving a car for 15 years and once grazed a fence from cutting a corner too much. Cars are just transport to the wall or water for me.

But I think a big chunk comes from speed in peoples riding. I've studied the majority of cashes on youtube and what caused the crash. 9 times out of 10 if the biker just took it easy (which can be hard at times I imagine) he would have seen that that person was going to run the redlight and take him out; or would realize there was diesel on the road ahead