PDA

View Full Version : Greymouth Motorcycle Street Races - 25th Anniversary - Labour Weekend 2014

Muzzab
8th April 2014, 08:32
Hi,

Had our first committee meeting for the year last night, so thought i'd start a thread to keep folk posted on progress over the coming months leading up to the event at Labour Weekend.

It will be the 25th Anniversary of the first event and the 25th running of the event.

So at this stage we are under action with it all to do.
Time for you to hightlight Labour Weekend on the calendar and start hatching a plan to get here.

Cheers
Muzza
GMSR Treasurer

unstuck
8th April 2014, 14:20
Must start planning my week soon too, not sure where I will camp this year. Was hoping to spend some time up the Taramakau river around the same time. YeeHaa, cant wait.:Punk::Punk:

Muzzab
24th June 2014, 22:08
A quick update.

Planning is well underway. We had a bit of a setback when the tail end of a cyclone trashed the goods sheds, down on the wharf, where we had a lot of our track set up gears stored. It’s now been moved to a yard while we try and get some containers to use as a permanent solution. We are committed to ensuring the Motard Off Road Section is back this year, we are pulling out all the stops to make it happen.

New for 2014:

Transponders – we have hired a company to supply transponders and collect our race results this year. So this should lead to quicker results and seeding grids for following races.

Website – we nearly have a new website ready to go, I’ll post up a link when it’s up and running.

Address – we have a new P.O.Box - Greymouth Motorcycle Street Race Committee Inc. P.O.Box 164
Greymouth 7840

Important Things to Note: (Have a read of section 22 in the rule book)

Licences – You need a full national competition licence. We will require proof of 3 road race meetings within the 12 months prior to the event from your log book to be submitted with your entry. We will not be seeking clearance to race for anyone.

Shark Fin Chain Guard – required

Brake Caliper mounting bolts to be wired.

Red LED Light required if meeting declared wet.

Don't Forget:

Accommodation – time to make a booking.

That’s about it for now.
If you have any queries or need any info send me a PM and I’ll get back to you.

Cheers
Muzza
Treasurer
GMSR

Muzzab
13th August 2014, 08:59
Righty-ho here we go :Punk:
I have had the go ahead to get the entry form out there, so hopefully there is a form attached to this message , and a newsletter.
I will be Emailing the same to riders who have entered previously and given us an Email address soon.

Entries close on 11 October 2014 and are " first in, first served " basis.

PM me an email address if you want an entry form sent and don't think we will have your email address, or if you need any info.

Don't forget to include a copy of the last three entries from your log book with your entry,
and check that your licence is current (must do mine :shit:).

Cheers
Muzza
GMSR Treasurer

Billy
13th August 2014, 14:26
Righty-ho here we go :Punk:
I have had the go ahead to get the entry form out there, so hopefully there is a form attached to this message , and a newsletter.
I will be Emailing the same to riders who have entered previously and given us an Email address soon.

Entries close on 11 October 2014 and are " first in, first served " basis.

PM me an email address if you want an entry form sent and don't think we will have your email address, or if you need any info.

Don't forget to include a copy of the last three entries from your log book with your entry,
and check that your licence is current (must do mine :shit:).

Cheers
Muzza
GMSR Treasurer

Good work guys,

Good to see clubs following the simple format set for entries and supp regs, Pity some have still failed to do so, Good luck with your event.

PS Re the 3 event pror rule, It was NEVER my intention that the rule be enforced to ALL entries, There was a dispensation allowed for those the organiser were able to vouch for, While it would be preferable to tighten it up after year 1, Turning away entries that could or should have been accepted is disappointing, EG anybody who has spent the last few meetings at the ASC events in Australia would theoretically be needlessly penalised as the rule states 3 entries in the logbook.

Muzzab
13th August 2014, 16:27
Good work guys,

Good to see clubs following the simple format set for entries and supp regs, Pity some have still failed to do so, Good luck with your event.

PS Re the 3 event pror rule, It was NEVER my intention that the rule be enforced to ALL entries, There was a dispensation allowed for those the organiser were able to vouch for, While it would be preferable to tighten it up after year 1, Turning away entries that could or should have been accepted is disappointing, EG anybody who has spent the last few meetings at the ASC events in Australia would theoretically be needlessly penalised as the rule states 3 entries in the logbook.

Thanks Billy.

I don't think it will be a problem for our event. If you are racing regularly it is not an issue.
People have now had a full year to get used to the idea, most people down here who would
be interested in Street Racing will have done Nelson, Methven or Wyndham and a couple of
club days at Ruapuna, Levels or Teretonga since the rule come about and within the twelve
months before our next event in October.
If you are paying for a full licence you may as well get your monies worth out of it eh.

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
26th August 2014, 08:36
Entries starting to come in, remember " first in first served "
Good to see including a copy of 3 entries from log books not an issue for the keen ones. :niceone:

Great stuff, keep em coming.

Cheers
Muzza
GMSR Treasurer

smoto
31st August 2014, 20:17
Hi Muzza,
How would we go at Getting last years Aussie No 1 Supermoto rider over to race.
Andy raced in Europe earlier this year and took the No 2 spot in this years titles beating Troy Bayliss in one race.
With the log book rule is it possible?
Cheers Bryan

Muzzab
1st September 2014, 10:33
Hi Muzza,
How would we go at Getting last years Aussie No 1 Supermoto rider over to race.
Andy raced in Europe earlier this year and took the No 2 spot in this years titles beating Troy Bayliss in one race.
With the log book rule is it possible?
Cheers Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Sounds exciting.

I don't think it is impossible, the place to start for an international rider to get approval to race is with MNZ.

Here is the contact link copied off the MNZ website http://www.mnz.co.nz/contact-us

Suggest you send them a message to get the ball rolling.

All the best.

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
5th September 2014, 20:57
Keep the entries coming, must do mine now my new licence has arrived and I got my engine back from the Doctors.

Just a heads up if you are thinking about booking accomodation, there are several reunions on in town over Labour weekend, so if you are thinking about it best to get in quick.

Our new website is nearly ready to go I'll post up a link when I get the all clear.

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
12th September 2014, 08:38
Hi all,

After the recent rule changes were advised, we had a query from a rider if the shark fin rule applies to our event.
We added the sharkfin to our supplementary rules/entry form after it appeared last year assuming it would be compulsary this year.
But, this year the shark fin rule was moved to the appendix's for the championship race classes, none of which we run.

MNZ have confirmed that the shark fin rule does not apply to our event.

I have removed the reference to shark fins from our entry form and have attached the revised form.

Cheers
Muzza
Treasurer
GMSR Inc

Muzzab
15th September 2014, 09:35
We have employed a guy to do marketing and promotions for us.

He has made a new website.

check it out at http://www.greymouthstreetrace.com/

Thanks to Steve Hyde for putting together most of the info etc for him to use.

6 weeks to go, keep the entries coming in :headbang:

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
19th September 2014, 13:05
5 weeks to go till race weekend.

3 weeks till entries close on 11 October 2014.

Keep the entries coming.

Cheers
Muzza

ajturbo
21st September 2014, 10:13
5 weeks to go till race weekend.

3 weeks till entries close on 11 October 2014.

Keep the entries coming.

Cheers
Muzza

expecting to lap you this year....:Punk:

Muzzab
21st September 2014, 13:37
expecting to lap you this year....:Punk:

You and everyone else....:lol:

Bikemad
21st September 2014, 14:01
what the heck is "the shark fin rule"?........cheers

mr bucketracer
21st September 2014, 15:02
what the heck is "the shark fin rule"?........cheersyou need to catch a shark , cut its fin of and stick it on your swing arm:lol:

unstuck
21st September 2014, 15:05

The one with the biggest mohawk wins.:2thumbsup Shame they dont hand that prize out to the spectators, I would win that one.

Whoo hoo, not long now.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Muzzab
21st September 2014, 20:29

Last year MNZ added a rule in section 22 that reguired a shark fin chain guard to be fitted , we assumed
it would be compulsory this year for bikes taking part in all street races. But, the rule was moved to appendix's
that relate to national championship race classes. Have a look a Appendix C rule 4 for an example.
We don't run national championship race classes, so does not apply to our event.

A sharkfin is a lower chain guard that would stop you chopping your fingers off when oiling the chain.

Muzzab
28th September 2014, 16:47
2 weeks to go till entries close on the 11th of October.

Entries coming along fine, at about 50% of the ususal total,
which is what we would expect 2 weeks out from close off.

Time to get them in folks.

Cheers
Muzza

Shaun Harris
29th September 2014, 09:34
Last year MNZ added a rule in section 22 that reguired a shark fin chain guard to be fitted , we assumed
it would be compulsory this year for bikes taking part in all street races. But, the rule was moved to appendix's
that relate to national championship race classes. Have a look a Appendix C rule 4 for an example.
We don't run national championship race classes, so does not apply to our event.

A sharkfin is a lower chain guard that would stop you chopping your fingers off when oiling the chain.

Haha but SERIOUSLY to those that do not understand the value of the sharkfin, it also keeps riders feet and toes from being cut off in a crash incident and I think should be compulsery on all bikes being raced any where any time. I have been running them on bikes I have built since 2003 in this country, way before the rule of them came in out, it seemed like a very very cheap and easy way of protecting people in case of shit happening

Muzzab
1st October 2014, 14:35
11 days till entries close...get em in fella's..... times a ticking..:shit:

4 weeks till race weekend :woohoo::wings:

Muzzab
3rd October 2014, 12:29
1 week till entries close..........3 weeks till it's all go....:2thumbsup

FJRider
4th October 2014, 16:07
... it seemed like a very very cheap and easy way of protecting people in case of shit happening

A bit like Condoms ... they only work if you fit one. :facepalm:

If you're careful ... you wont need one ... RIGHT .. ??? :laugh:

Muzzab
7th October 2014, 07:51
4 days till entries close.....

Muzzab
13th October 2014, 07:04
Sorted through the entries on Staurday, acceptances in the post today.
Really happy with the entries, good numbers in most fields.
Still expect a few late entries between now and Labour Weekend.

So we have 93 riders entred, which gives us fields of:

BEARS 27
F1 16
F-Grey 25
F3 23
Motards 28
Pre-82 25
Pre-63 15
Buckets 13

All good, roll on Labour Weekend.

Cheers
Muzza

Shaun Harris
13th October 2014, 13:03

BEARS 27
F1 16
F-Grey 25
F3 23
Motards 28
Pre-82 25
Pre-63 15
Buckets 13

Cheers
Muzza

cool, good luck with it

kiwi cowboy
13th October 2014, 16:21

BEARS 27
F1 16
F-Grey 25
F3 23
Motards 28
Pre-82 25
Pre-63 15
Buckets 13

Cheers
Muzza

Just wondered why no pre89's ?:drool:

Grumph
13th October 2014, 18:38
Just wondered why no pre89's ?:drool:

I'm guessing but can come up with 2 reasons....No gaps in a very full programme for one.

And judging by the poor turnout for the CAMS pre 89 Cup at levels very recently - they won't come out......

kiwi cowboy
13th October 2014, 20:06
I'm guessing but can come up with 2 reasons....No gaps in a very full programme for one.

And judging by the poor turnout for the CAMS pre 89 Cup at levels very recently - they won't come out......

Fair enough was just wondering.
Would have loved to be at the pre89 cup myself but unfortunately lambing got in the way:angry::angry:
Who won the cup anyway?.

Muzzab
13th October 2014, 20:45

Thats not a bad answer, throw in that most Pre-89's could fit into more than one other class and you would have it.
We have a chat about it every year and just don't feel the need to change anything yet.

Cheers
Muzza

Grumph
14th October 2014, 05:58
Fair enough was just wondering.
Would have loved to be at the pre89 cup myself but unfortunately lambing got in the way:angry::angry:
Who won the cup anyway?.

Chris Huddlestone won with a very nice 7/11 GSXR. Kev kept him honest for about 4 laps on the GS1000 till the rear started to go away as is usual. Fun to watch...
Given Chris is no Greymouth virgin and he'll have had time to sort the bike a bit more, Muzz's comment about pre 89's running in more than one class should worry some modern riders....

Muzzab
14th October 2014, 15:03
Chris Huddlestone won with a very nice 7/11 GSXR. Kev kept him honest for about 4 laps on the GS1000 till the rear started to go away as is usual. Fun to watch...
Given Chris is no Greymouth virgin and he'll have had time to sort the bike a bit more, Muzz's comment about pre 89's running in more than one class should worry some modern riders....

Haven't seen an entry from him yet, but we up to 98 now. I'm sure we'll crack the ton by the endof the week :clap: thanks to everyone who has entered.

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
17th October 2014, 12:33
:woohoo: we made 100 entries, grids looking great.

Started my weather watch, long range for Saturday 25th Fine with Westerlies, Sunday 26th Partly Cloudy with little wind. Perfect.........Probably a bit early to have any faith in it, but I'll keep an eye on it.

So if you are planning a cruise from Nelson or Christchurch for the day looking like it will be ideal.

Cheers
Muzza

unstuck
17th October 2014, 13:03
And a reminder for anyone who plans to travel through the Haast pass that the road is shut down during the night.......still.:2thumbsup
From the NZTA website.......... This Section Of Road Will Be Closed Every Night From 7pm To 8am At The Slip. The Road Will Close At Haast At 6pm And Reopen 7:30am. At Makarora The Road Will Close At 6:30pm And Reopen At 7:30am. Delays Or Closures May Be Necessary At Other Times In The Event Of Further Heavy Rain Or Slips.
Scheduled time:
Start: 26 Sep 2014 10:56
End: 31 Dec 2014 12:00 :Punk::Punk:

Muzzab
20th October 2014, 11:48
Entries now at 102

Started my weather watch....

Met Connect - Saturday 25th - Cloudy periods. Light winds.
Sunday 26th Raceday - Partly cloudy until early in the evening then rain. Not much wind.

Metvuw looks good as well, backs up what Met Connect is saying. (Met view is usually pretty good with predicting rain)

So judging from those, I'd say bring the sun screen and plenty of water.

No doubt the forecasts will change every day bettween now and then. Fingers Crossed.

See you there.

Cheers
Muzza

Shaun Harris
20th October 2014, 14:57
Entries now at 102

Started my weather watch....

Met Connect - Saturday 25th - Cloudy periods. Light winds.
Sunday 26th Raceday - Partly cloudy until early in the evening then rain. Not much wind.

Metvuw looks good as well, backs up what Met Connect is saying. (Met view is usually pretty good with predicting rain)

So judging from those, I'd say bring the sun screen and plenty of water.

No doubt the forecasts will change every day bettween now and then. Fingers Crossed.

See you there.

Cheers
Muzza

Great work, hope it all goes well for all involved

Muzzab
22nd October 2014, 09:00
Weather watch continues......

I like this one http://home.nzcity.co.nz/weather/weatherdetail.aspx?wla=9

4 more sleeps.

See you there

Cheers
Muzza

ajturbo
22nd October 2014, 16:19
Well .. I don't..!!!:facepalm:

Muzzab
22nd October 2014, 21:36
Well .. I don't..!!!:facepalm:

There's no pleasing some buggers , first time in years it looks like it will be fine in the morning and a real good chance it won't turn damp till we have finished....... sheeesh....back down the grid you go matey.

Muzzab
23rd October 2014, 07:42
105 Entries as of this morning.

Grids now standing at:

BEARS 30
F1 21
F-Greymouth 30
F3 25
Motards 31
Pre-63 16
Pre-82 27
Buckets 13

Fantastic, thanks to everyone who has entered.

Cheers
Muzza
Treasurer GMSR Inc

Muzzab
25th October 2014, 20:50
Sign on and bike check done and dusted. Last printing and laminating of racing class lists completed.

Forecast not the best, but what the forecast says and what actually happens are two different things, will know when i look out the window in the morning.

Time to go home, have a cuppa and off to bed.

See ya's in the morning.

Roll on Race Day

Cheers
Muzza

mr bucketracer
26th October 2014, 21:37
Great days racing good to meet alot of you guys:2thumbsup

FJRider
27th October 2014, 17:50
It was a bit damp ...

but ..

Muzzab
27th October 2014, 20:40
cheers for posting up the pics, I'm number 89 on the grid for buckets, can't say the bike liked the wet, wouldn't pull full revs in race 1 and died in race 2, slicks were good as gold in the wet for the limited racing I got in though.
My GSX 400 not a happy camper either, had some motor work and it's not liking it's carbies any more, but may have been water issues as well. Parked it after the practice sessions. So I got 1.5 races out of the 9 I'd entered.

At least I got to watch heaps of racing, holy cow can Shaun Richardson ride or what. Watching him and Dennis Charlett in F1 and F-Grey in the wet was some of the most awesome racing I have ever seen.
Given that it was wet all day, the Ambo's never had to leave their station all day, there were a couple of bent bikes and get offs and back ons but no injuries requiring medical attention that I know of. Big ups to all the riders for keeping it sane in the conditions.

A huge thanks to all the riders, support crews and spectators for turning up and making a bloody good day.
It was a long one, I was up at 5:00am and didn't finish the post race debrief untill 3:00am, thank god BP was open for a pie on the way home and the taxi driver happy to stop.

Cheers
Muzza

Muzzab
27th October 2014, 20:45
Great days racing good to meet alot of you guys:2thumbsup

Really great to meet you fella's too, hope you heading home with heaps of good memories of your trip south.

Cheers
Muzza

ellipsis
28th October 2014, 22:01
Results.

BEARS Motorcycle Club Christchurch - BEARS

1st Steve Brown Motueka Aprilia RSV1000

2nd Simon Rooke Nelson Aprilia RSV1000

3rd Jonny Lewis Nelson Aprilia RSV4

Hughes Motor Services - Super Motard Open

1st Duncan Hart Tauranga Yamaha YZF450

2nd Jared Pyke Timaru Yamaha YZF450

3rd Seth Devereux Tapanui Kawasaki KXF450

ElectroNet - Post Classic Pre 1982

1st Neville Curran Nelson Yamaha XV1000

2nd Toby Tutty Nelson Suzuki GSX1100

3rd Kevin Ryan Greymouth Triumph Bonneville

Greymouth Seaside Top 10 Holiday Park - Formula 1

1st Shane Richardson Wainuiomata Honda CBR600RR

2nd Dennis Charlett Christchurch Suzuki GSXR1000

3rd Seth Devereux Tapanui Kawasaki ZX6

EV Arthur Property Brokers - Classic Pre 1963

1st Neville Wills Nelson Manx Norton 500

2nd Joe Annan Kaikoura BSA B31 350

3rd Lew Grant Christchurch Norton Dominator 650

Blackball Salami Company - Formula 3

1st Andrew Rudd Ashburton Honda CBR450

2nd= Gavin Mckay Lower Hutt Aprilia 550

2nd= Jock Woodley Blenheim Suzuki RGV250

Westland Lawn Mower Services - Buckets

1st Dennis Charlett Christchurch Suzuki FXR150

2nd Scott Griffiths Palmerston Nth Suzuki GPR150

3rd Alastair Hoogenboezum Christchurch Honda CBR150

The Rock - Formula Greymouth

1st Dennis Charlett Christchurch Suzuki GSXR1000

2nd Shane Richardson Wainuiomata Honda CBR600RR

3rd Alex Walker Christchurch Honda CBR1000RR

John Jones Memorial Trophy for Super motard ride of the Day: Duncan Hart

Joel Walsh Memorial Cup for promising local rider = Jacob Wehner - Greymouth

http://www.greymouthstreetrace.com/results

unstuck
29th October 2014, 08:28
Brilliant day again. Thanks to all involved. :Punk::Punk::Punk:

Muzzab
29th October 2014, 14:58
Brilliant day again. Thanks to all involved. :Punk::Punk::Punk:

Good on ya mate.

I saw more racing this year than I have in the past few due to bike issues. All I can say to spectators who are put off by the weather is bring a coat.
The racing was brilliant and there are plenty of covered places around the circuit to shelter from the worst of it. The bike show was quite cool as well,
I'm sure that will be in the plans again for next year.

Cheers
Muzza

far queue
29th October 2014, 17:48
Good on ya mate.

I saw more racing this year than I have in the past few due to bike issues. All I can say to spectators who are put off by the weather is bring a coat.
The racing was brilliant and there are plenty of covered places around the circuit to shelter from the worst of it. The bike show was quite cool as well,
I'm sure that will be in the plans again for next year.

Cheers
Muzza

Exactly. I was a spectator and had a great day. Had a great weekend over there in fact. There's plenty of shelter and great spectator spots galore. I've got plenty of photo's so shout out your race number and I'll see if if I got something of you. I don't have anything with an 89 on it though - you didn't have enough time on track I guess :whistle:

FJRider
29th October 2014, 19:20
I don't have anything with an 89 on it though - you didn't have enough time on track I guess :whistle:

According to his Avatar ... his number is 98 ... :innocent:

far queue
29th October 2014, 20:19
cheers for posting up the pics, I'm number 89

According to his Avatar ... his number is 98 ... :innocent:

Maybe he's dyslexic? Muzzab? Wotcha number?

Muzzab
29th October 2014, 20:50
Maybe he's dyslexic? Muzzab? Wotcha number?

Both, 98 on the GSX and 89 on the Bucket

The local paper likes to look out for us.

far queue
29th October 2014, 21:38
It seems I didn't look properly - I do have a few of you later in the day. Not the best quality looking through the rain that was coming down at the time I'm afraid.

unstuck
30th October 2014, 07:04
One thing that was a little annoying this year was the use of advertising signs attached to certain sections of safety fence. I think they could have been placed a little better so as not to obstruct the view, the big one near the start finish line being one of the worst. My camera is a little water damaged and am having trouble uploading video and pics. Can only seem to retrieve the motard stuff.:brick::brick:

seymour14
30th October 2014, 07:16
It seems I didn't look properly - I do have a few of you later in the day. Not the best quality looking through the rain that was coming down at the time I'm afraid.

Can you take a peak for bike 75 and 11 in the buckets (F4)? With all the excitement of the day, we forgot to get anyone to take a picture of us on the track...

Cheers.

Muzzab
30th October 2014, 08:05

Good man, Muzza goes round the outside, who said slicks were no good in the rain !!

FJRider
30th October 2014, 14:06
Both, 98 on the GSX and 89 on the Bucket

This will be you at the front in this pic then ...

far queue
30th October 2014, 20:35
Can you take a peak for bike 75 and 11 in the buckets (F4)? With all the excitement of the day, we forgot to get anyone to take a picture of us on the track...

Cheers.

Here you go. Again, you're looking through lots of rain so the quality isn't the best.

This is the only race and the only place I took pics of the buckets so they're all similar. Plenty of pics of other classes at other spots around the track.

mr bucketracer
30th October 2014, 20:43
Here you go. Again, you're looking through lots of rain so the quality isn't the best.

This is the only race and the only place I took pics of the buckets so they're all similar. Plenty of pics of other classes at other spots around the track.thanks for the pics , im the fat guy on 11

seymour14
31st October 2014, 06:19
Cheers for that, I'm the giant on 75, I must have been drunk, can't ride upright...;)

Muzzab
31st October 2014, 09:24
Cheers for that, I'm the giant on 75, I must have been drunk, can't ride upright...;)

LoL my RGV/FXR is huge compared to your bike, you'd look like a pip squeek on it :)