PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX-R1000

Dansco
9th April 2014, 14:53
Looking at selling my 2004 Suzuki GSX-R1000 as it dosnt get used. Only done 5000km in the last 5 & a half years.

Has done 31,500km in total. Whole bike is in excellent condition with a minor scratch on top of the tank and some marks on the fairings.

Mods:

- Yoshimura titanium link pipe and tri oval exhaust
- Near new Pirelli Diablo tyres front (120) and rear (190)
- Ohlins steering damper
- W P rear shock
- W P front fork springs
- Rear seat cowl
- Oil just replaced Motul 5100
- Be sold with fresh WOF & Reg

Not really sure of value as havnt seen any bikes of similar km or spec. Wanting to know what people think its worth or what offers are out there to see if its worth just holding onto.

tigertim20
9th April 2014, 19:32
i sold a k4 gsxr 1k about 9 months ago or so. slightly higher kms but in really good condition for $4500.00.
i think id have got a little more if I was patient, but there are a lot of them out there and usually don't gor a lot. which is odd, because they are a great bike, and a LOT of bike for the money

DMNTD
9th April 2014, 19:47
If you're realistic on price, there's a bloke at my work that could be interested.
What weight has the WP's been set up for?

haydes55
9th April 2014, 20:28
i sold a k4 gsxr 1k about 9 months ago or so. slightly higher kms but in really good condition for $4500.00.

i think id have got a little more if I was patient, but there are a lot of them out there and usually don't gor a lot. which is odd, because they are a great bike, and a LOT of bike for the money

Someone got a bargain off you, yet again.

I'd be expecting somewhere around 7 grand.

AllanB
9th April 2014, 20:34
A 4500 I'd get a load, buy one and naked the beast.

breakaway
10th April 2014, 12:16
4500 for that bike is fair considering the variables like his location and the fact that 9 months ago was winter time which means the fair weather riders are off the market which translates to less people looking to buy.

Best time to buy is winter, best time to sell is summer.

Vinz0r
10th April 2014, 13:33
I have a mate who'd be happy to give that a new home for 4.5k. Let me know if interested!

Damantis
10th April 2014, 13:35
5-5.5k would be about right. Looking at what people list their bikes for is not a true indication of what they might sell for. We've all seen the same bikes that sit on Trade Me for months and even years at a price the seller wants and may well think it is worth. Something is only worth what SOMEONE ELSE is willing to pay for it. I think most people are just too used to paying too much in our market. A catch 22 if you pay 7k for something and you sell it a year later and expect to not lose money on it. These are recreational vehicles, not bottles of wine or Royal Teaspoons.

breakaway
10th April 2014, 14:16
Damantis hits the nail on the head.

e.g. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-691124113.htm

Dansco
10th April 2014, 15:31
Thanks for the input guys.

A mate told me that the same bike without the mods would be around $7k so thought with mods it may be worth a little more.

For sure if people would only be willing to pay $4500 then I am better off keeping it in the shed. Would only sell if I could get $8000+

Mike.Gayner
10th April 2014, 15:35
Mods don't add anything to the value.
$4,500 is honestly probably a bit less than it's worth - people are looking for bargains.
It's definitely not worth $8k.

tigertim20
10th April 2014, 16:23
to clarify - the one I sold, I was prepared to sell cheap for a quick sale - I had my eye on something else and needed the coin.
5.5k is probably a price thats fair.
I dont see it being 7-8k at all. unless it was at a dealer.
That said around the time I sold my one, there was another k4 1000 at a dealer up north somewhere, for 5995. same year etc, and slightly higher kms than mine.

insomnia01
10th April 2014, 16:42
Something is only worth what SOMEONE ELSE is willing to pay for it.

sounds abit like you Dan ???? whats happening to the blade?

breakaway
10th April 2014, 16:42

A mate told me that the same bike without the mods would be around $7k so thought with mods it may be worth a little more.

For sure if people would only be willing to pay $4500 then I am better off keeping it in the shed. Would only sell if I could get $8000+

For reference, I bought a 100% stock K1 GSXR 1000 w/ 30,000 KM for $6000 back in 2007 (before the rego hike). $8000 is a big ask, even dealers would have difficulty moving a 10 year old machine at that price. The 'mods' aren't worth anything unfortunately. This is why you should hold on to the stock parts, re-install them for the sale, then once the bike is sold unload the aftermarket goodies.

8K will buy a 06 with less miles than yours.

Big Dog
10th April 2014, 16:54

When I am buying a toy (e.g if I could afford a track bike) the extra fruit may add to what i was willing to pay, if I am looking for a bike I intend to put real kms down on the extra fruit lowers the price on what I would pay unless stock parts are available.

Performance parts are a double edges sword, they can mean you are buying a sorted bike but increase the risk the owner has thrashed its arse off. Or worse covered up crash damage with a second hand muffler and rearsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dog
10th April 2014, 16:59
For reference, I bought a 100% stock K1 GSXR 1000 w/ 30,000 KM for $6000 back in 2007 (before the rego hike). $8000 is a big ask, even dealers would have difficulty moving a 10 year old machine at that price. The 'mods' aren't worth anything unfortunately. This is why you should hold on to the stock parts, re-install them for the sale, then once the bike is sold unload the aftermarket goodies.

8K will buy a 06 with less miles than yours.
What he said. If you don't need the money don't sell the bike. Unless you owe money on it ownership costs are low unless you keep it registered. Or list it for 8 and keep it if no one bites. When your buying you need the seller go be appropriately motivated. When your selling you want a motivate buyer. Sometimes you'll struggle to sell a good bike well below market. Others you'll get over the odds because someone wants it.
I think of it like I am the buyer, current time and state what would I buy it for?
That is the asking price.
-x% is the would sell it price. Where x is my level of motivation for moving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damantis
10th April 2014, 18:05
Damantis hits the nail on the head.

e.g. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-691124113.htm

Exactly. Listed 3rd November last year and now it's a year older and the price stays unchanged. Granted an SP2 is a fairly sought after bike but there's no dealer protection on that bike so it should be a lot cheaper. Anything over 8k is dreaming!

breakaway
10th April 2014, 18:09
Even 8k is too much for it.

"Things to note on bike are, Dent free tank but has small chip and light scratches. Scatches on most fairings, marks on engine cover, rear wheel and swing arm. Rub marks on swing arm from muffler.Other normal wear and tear, rubs, marks and small scratches as expected,..(see photos please). "

Translation: "It's been proper fucked with"

Damantis
10th April 2014, 18:14
Something is only worth what SOMEONE ELSE is willing to pay for it.

sounds abit like you Dan ???? whats happening to the blade?

Blade now property of Protecta Insurance. I have a small bike fund sitting in the bank for when I can find a good deal on what I want. No hurry as will be another month or so before I can probably even ride! Rather get something a bit more tourey like a Blackbird or ZZR1200 Thinking a change in style may be called for. Something like a Cb1300 or an Aprilia Tuono http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=714438648 This is nice, but even from a dealer, I think it's still a grand too much.

Damantis
10th April 2014, 18:23
Even 8k is too much for it.

"Things to note on bike are, Dent free tank but has small chip and light scratches. Scatches on most fairings, marks on engine cover, rear wheel and swing arm. Rub marks on swing arm from muffler.Other normal wear and tear, rubs, marks and small scratches as expected,..(see photos please). "

Translation: "It's been proper fucked with"

8k for a MINT one maybe. That one's probably more like 6900-7250? It's done 45000kms so unless they can prove the cam chains and tensioners been replaced, there's the better part of $500 getting them done. Firestorm I had routinely needed that every 40k. Being an 11 year old SP2, it's bound to have seen the track plenty of times too.

Damantis
10th April 2014, 22:35

$8000 is what a dealer would charge. Actually they'd put $8995 on it and be prepared to drop their pants and knock it down a thousand if nobody was interested at $8995 and let them think it was a "bargain!"

If you want more than 7k you'll need to give a 6 month, 5000km warranty and at least 6 months rego

driftn
11th April 2014, 15:03

Looks like you're keeping it then.

wynw
11th April 2014, 16:03

Sounds like you will be keeping it for a while then