PDA

View Full Version : Fun, Fun & more damn Fun...

_Gina_
3rd September 2005, 11:01
YAY! :woohoo:

I have started riding! After much thinking, waiting and drama I am on the road!:spudflip:

It was a sunny Tuakau morning three weeks ago that I had my first venture out, geared up with stifarms old pants and jacket, my karting helmet (doesn't bloody match :( ) new gloves and boots off I headed for my first ride around the block - with stifarms riding behind watching my back!

After stalling the bike about 10 times I meandered along three driveways and pulled over to pull my visor down - doh - then stalled the bike another 10 times and *finally* headed off down the road at about 50kms per hour, managed to change through to 4th gear (still only doing 50kms), found the indicator, tried to figure out what gear I was in so I could change down (bloody bike has no display!) then proceeded down the next straight without changing gear at all.....:rofl:

Came into town, turned into side street, forgot that down selects a lower gear and proceeded to curse and mutter to self on why I coudn't select 1st, pulled up to main road - stifarms gave my memory a jolt and brought me up to speed on the gear selection controls (up for up a gear, down for down!). Stalled the bike another 3 times trying to get out of the intersection and lobbed back home, selected neutral?? coming into the driveway instead of 1st and came to a stop, all without dropping the bike. WHEW!

I can laugh now looking back.....I was sooo nervous, so many things I had no idea about!

Now, three weeks later things are going well, after the first days riding I insisted on going out on my own and I have been taking longer rides each time I go out.

I LOVE IT!

Gear changing is going well, don't stall tring to take off anymore, am up to speed in a matter of moments, have complete and utter respect for all corners, can adjust my visor without pulling over (YAY!) and everytime I come back I am a little sad.....

Focus at the moment is learning to counter steer, trying not to laugh too much when the rear wheel comes off the ground *must adjust the suspension settings....* and thinking about lines through all corners.

Anyway that's about all from me for now, must go and put my gear away......or not!!:devil2:

ZorsT
3rd September 2005, 11:24
I remember my first time on the road like it was a month ago...

Oh yeah, it was :)

I found countersteering came naturally to me. Right now, i practice going slow. I have managed to use full lock once. I WAS SO PROUD! :)

There is one corner oon my daily commute that i slow down for. My goal is that by October I won't have to :) (Its a decresing radius right hand bend that is labelled 65) On they way IN my tyres are still cold so I only try on the way home.

keep rubber side down

Ixion
3rd September 2005, 11:30
Go thee. Fun is what it's all about. (40 years of it and it's STILL fun ) :ride: :woohoo:

Biff
3rd September 2005, 12:25
Yayyyy - well done you. Enjoy. :ride:

Beemer
3rd September 2005, 14:17
God, I thought I was reading an account of when I learned to ride!

The fun increases the more you ride, so keep riding!

_Gina_
3rd September 2005, 17:26
There is one corner oon my daily commute that i slow down for. My goal is that by October I won't have to :) (Its a decresing radius right hand bend that is labelled 65) On they way IN my tyres are still cold so I only try on the way home.

keep rubber side down

Good to have the goals in mind aye!! Different for everyone they are, but the feeling is the same for all I would imagine!

Gg

crashe
3rd September 2005, 20:09
Well done Girlygirl....

So are you going to venture out and do the ride on the 11th September out west... We will all wait for you... in fact you will probably be waiting for me...
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

ben444
3rd September 2005, 20:40
Don't think about counter steering... It just happens.. law of physics... Enjoy learning all the new stuff.. it's all fun. You're doing better than what I did... crashed my mates bike on my first ride.. ended up buying the bike.. and it's been an obsession since. :ride:

cher
3rd September 2005, 21:48
:woohoo: hey girlygirl just relax and have fun the more you ride the easier it gets not to much traffic around 2cows :ride: might see yea on the road

zadok
3rd September 2005, 21:48
Onya. You're realy gonna love it when you get more used to it. :ride:

Ivan
3rd September 2005, 23:24
yo you around rg100 if so go to http://www.chatzy.com/180975471759

mstriumph
3rd September 2005, 23:40
:clap: :hbd: that's GREAT!!! :hbd: :clap:

limbimtimwim
4th September 2005, 00:56
Gear changing is going well, don't stall tring to take off anymore, am up to speed in a matter of moments, have complete and utter respect for all corners, can adjust my visor without pulling over (YAY!) and everytime I come back I am a little sad.....
Focus at the moment is learning to counter steer, trying not to laugh too much when the rear wheel comes off the ground *must adjust the suspension settings....* and thinking about lines through all corners. Anyway that's about all from me for now, must go and put my gear away......or not!!:devil2:
Aye.. Good stuff. Soon you'll be rolling smokes while going around corners while downshifting and matching revs like the rest of us do. ;-)

I don't remember my first ride really, I practised in a car park for some time, making sure I wasn't going to stall it at a bad time. I do remember the first time I used the indicators 'for real' though. I managed to rest my thumb on the horn button for a good 15 seconds while I wondered why the guy in the car was tooting at me and staring at me. Only to realise it was I who was toodling and he was staring at me, wondering what he had done wrong..

_Gina_
4th September 2005, 08:21
Well done Girlygirl....

So are you going to venture out and do the ride on the 11th September out west... We will all wait for you... in fact you will probably be waiting for me...
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

I don't think I will be waiting for you! hehehe

I will talk to stifarms and see what he's up to....