PDA

View Full Version : MNZ elections

scott411
10th April 2014, 16:09
ok racers, lets see if we can keep this somewhat civilized this year,

the nominees are up here, http://www.mnz.co.nz/online-voting and voting starts tomorrow,

Interesting to see some members on here are up there,

Mental Trousers
10th April 2014, 16:11
ok racers, lets see if we can keep this somewhat civilized this year,

Good luck :jerry:

Shaun Harris
10th April 2014, 16:17
I will be re-newing my licence tomorrow to vote for BILLY for sure

Shaun Harris
10th April 2014, 16:49
Thankyou Glen Williams

Skunk
11th April 2014, 22:57
I'll vote for Billy. Just to keep him off the streets.

If it ain't smokin', it's broken.

Dave-
13th April 2014, 18:28
My rule of thumb:

Read each candidates profile blurb thing out loud.

Remember to pause for breath only on full stops.

The candidate that leaves you with the most air still in your lungs should be your choice (if it's a tie then go with their policies).

Because it doesn't matter what their policies are, if they cannot communicate them effectively then they're no good for the job.

Skunk
13th April 2014, 18:32
I don't think you understand what the board does.

Kevin G
13th April 2014, 20:19
I don't think you understand what the board does.

I think he understands it quite well, it is obvious that some of the nominees do not understand what the Board does....The Board is a Governance Role, some seem to think the Board controls the sport which is not part of what the Board does.
Some maybe get confused when some Board members also have Operational roles within MNZ on standing committees.

The Board is in charge of Governance, the Office is in charge of Operations and the Commissioners run the sport.

For some light reading on the subject see http://www.sportnz.org.nz/Documents/Partners/governance/Nine%20Steps-WEB.pdf

From the above Sport NZ article:

Governance is the process by which the board...
� ensures the organisation complies with all legal and constitutional requirements;
� sets strategic direction and priorities;
� sets high-level policies and management performance expectations;
� characterises and oversees the management of risk; and
� monitors and evaluates organisational performance;
...in order to exercise its accountability to the organisation and its owners.

Kevin Goddard

Skunk
13th April 2014, 20:37
It was his comment about 'go with their policies' that brought about my comment. The Board members shouldn't have 'policies'. As you pointed out. The Board as a whole is the only 'policy' holder.

If it ain't smokin' - it's broken.

Dave-
13th April 2014, 21:27
It was his comment about 'go with their policies' that brought about my comment. The Board members shouldn't have 'policies'. As you pointed out. The Board as a whole is the only 'policy' holder.

"A course or principle of action adopted or proposed by an organization or individual."

No, I mean policy.

jellywrestler
13th April 2014, 22:01
No, I mean policy. out of curiosity, what's yours for the job?

Skunk
13th April 2014, 23:13
"A course or principle of action adopted or proposed by an organization or individual."

No, I mean policy.

So each individual on the board should have they own policy? That's nuts to try and achieve anything. I thought the Board should have policy not the individuals on it...

Billy
14th April 2014, 00:23
So each individual on the board should have they own policy? That's nuts to try and achieve anything. I thought the Board should have policy not the individuals on it...

Heres a wee tip for you,

Read Mr Goddards post above and the outline of the boards responsibilities,Then have a think about the problems we had during NZSBK 2014 with regard to issues the board SHOULD have dealt with according to our constitution,Yes we all know what is required to be a board member,No they don't run any sporting discipline,But they shouldn't be hindering those that are either,Clearly they are struggling to meet their obligations as board members and yet they take onboard other postions they clearly are out of their depth in,Time for a change in both islands.

Shaun Harris
14th April 2014, 03:00
Im not a ,member so will keep my opinion to myself

Shaun Harris
14th April 2014, 03:05
I think he understands it quite well, it is obvious that some of the nominees do not understand what the Board does....The Board is a Governance Role, some seem to think the Board controls the sport which is not part of what the Board does.
Some maybe get confused when some Board members also have Operational roles within MNZ on standing committees.

The Board is in charge of Governance, the Office is in charge of Operations and the Commissioners run the sport.

For some light reading on the subject see http://www.sportnz.org.nz/Documents/Partners/governance/Nine%20Steps-WEB.pdf

From the above Sport NZ article:

Governance is the process by which the board...
� ensures the organisation complies with all legal and constitutional requirements;
� sets strategic direction and priorities;
� sets high-level policies and management performance expectations;
� characterises and oversees the management of risk; and
� monitors and evaluates organisational performance;
...in order to exercise its accountability to the organisation and its owners.

Kevin Goddard

I am not a member so should keep my opinions to myself

budda
14th April 2014, 07:56
I politely ask you to stand down and focus on your motorcycle business interests, we need people on the board that are there 100% for the sport and the commisioner only! and no out side conflicting interests like sales of motorcycle accessories for example

Shaun mate, You clearly have very little ( if any ) idea just how hard it would be to find someone who gives enough of a shit about OUR Sport to give up the time required ( and I'm talking more than the odd day here and there ) and who ISNT involved in some other way ........

If they were just someone who's popped up out of nowhere with no track record in the Sport, why the hell would any thinking person vote for them ??????

scott411
14th April 2014, 07:57
I politely ask you to stand down and focus on your motorcycle business interests, we need people on the board that are there 100% for the sport and the commisioner only! and no out side conflicting interests like sales of motorcycle accessories for example

by your reasoning that puts Billy out, he sells parts for racing bikes, and there goes Paul Stewart as well, his links with Honda are well known,

the truth is we all have conflicts, this country is small, and our sport is even smaller, as long as you remove yourself when direct conflicts its fine,

Asking him to stand down when he has a year left on his term is just bullshit IMO, Kevin was the only person that put his name up for the job at the time, and to me he is one of the better board member we have, because he actually races a motorcycle, which among board members in the time i have been going to conferences (just short of 20 years) this has been a very rare quality,

This is the reason why a lot of people won't put there names up for these sort of postions, because people attack them from all sides

budda
14th April 2014, 08:05
by your reasoning that puts Billy out, he sells parts for racing bikes, and there goes Paul Stewart as well, his links with Honda are well known,

the truth is we all have conflicts, this country is small, and our sport is even smaller, as long as you remove yourself when direct conflicts its fine,

Asking him to stand down when he has a year left on his term is just bullshit IMO, Kevin was the only person that put his name up for the job at the time, and to me he is one of the better board member we have, because he actually races a motorcycle, which amoung board members in the time i have been going to conferences (just short of 20 years) this has been a very rare quality,

This is the reason why a lot of people won't put there names up for these sort of postions, because people attack them from all sides

To be FAIR ( I know, I'm choking on it too ), most Board Members would have trouble finding the extra time to compete what with the hours they put in ....... The COMMISSIONERS would have to be the most time poor buggers around though

jellywrestler
14th April 2014, 08:28

3.05 AM clearly a dream Shaun to find a board that have no conflict of interest.

Shaun Harris
14th April 2014, 08:56
3.05 AM clearly a dream Shaun to find a board that have no conflict of interest.

Maybe, but clearly some times the obvious need stating to make people think long and hard about what is and has been going on

Dave-
14th April 2014, 10:50
out of curiosity, what's yours for the job?

What is mine for the job?

Do you mean 'where is yours for the job?'?

At this stage I'm signing on next year once I have my degree.

Each person should have their own ideas, goals and interests.

jellywrestler
14th April 2014, 11:04
What is mine for the job?

Do you mean 'where is yours for the job?'?

At this stage I'm signing on next year once I have my degree.

Each person should have their own ideas, goals and interests.

no i didn't mean where is yours as you're not standing, i was asking what yours would be if you were to stand?

budda
14th April 2014, 11:42
no i didn't mean where is yours as you're not standing, i was asking what yours would be if you were to stand?

line 3 of 4 Spyda

Billy
2nd May 2014, 10:36
Bumpity bump,

Have all MNZ members voted for these positions???

If not,Time is running out,Below are some facts that you need to take into consideration,

The statement made that the board do not run the sport is not quite true,Commissioners can only implement changes that are ratified by the board,The commissioners are informed on introduction to "Run the sport as you see fit" but the part they leave out is "When we allow you to",Currently for example with roadracing,The commissioner has no control over sponsorship for the National series,Nor does he/she have ANY control over who is approached,When or how,Also any sponsorship funds collected do not go towards running the series,As the sponsorship committee have first dibs and no organising club can arrange sponsorship with any organisation that will conflict the series sponsors,It basically leaves them hamstrung when trying to fund their rounds,In short,The organising clubs are expected to meet an event protocol,With ZERO funding from the sponsorship committee and without conflicting the series sponsors without knowing who those series sponsors are until as late as November for a series that starts in January,A good example of how this works(Or rather doesn't work) is last year when MCI were offered $50,000 by EN1 to sponsor the NZGP meeting at Ruapuna,BUT had to turn it down due to Castrol being a series sponsor($5,000)?????Over the past 5 years,The sponsorship gained for this series has dropped from 5 distributors and an oil company,To this past series whereby the sponsors were 1 accessory distributor and a board member,Do you see this as progressing the sport as a whole????

The clubs are put at financial risk to run a championship that they are consistently told"Belong to MNZ" and are forced to agree to run to a protocol implemented by the board,Quite simply if MNZ own the championship titles(and they do),Then the board need to take control and ensure the series is run in an orderly manner AND underwrite the series and fund it in a sensible manner OR let an independent committee take it over,This past year as commissioner I was asked in September what my wish list was for NZSBK,My reply was $50,000,To date I have yet to receive a reply,Its my best guess,Seeing as the series has long since finished that I will not be receiving that or any other funding???? TIME FOR A CHANGE,What has been happening over the past 5 years is simply not working,The ONLY reason this past series worked as well as it did,Is because I as commissioner HAD to increase entry fees to cover the extra expense involved due to the lack of funding from the board,Is this how you see moving the sport forward????

Roadrace commissioner,

Why have the current board not appointed a replacement to date when applications closed on the 21st of March,At close of applications there was only 1 interested party,BUT he was unable to complete his application due to the office manager being unavailable to give him some extra information he required before submitting his application,That application was submitted a day late,But it was expected,The only other application was received a week after they closed and to be honest,While I have a hell of a lot of respect for that person,I would have to question why the board would consider an application for such an important and extensive job,From somebody who couldn't even get the application in on time,The original applicant was awarded organiser if the year at last years AGM and has the backing of both myself and Glen Williams,Whats to consider and why has he not been appointed,As I understand it,The board didn't even consider applications until the Monday just gone and have asked the applicants to explain their plans for the sport,All very good,But a month late!!!!! Furthermore they are asking thses applicants for an outline of a job that they don't have a job description for themselves WTF?????,I am already receiving calls from team managers and competitors wanting to know how many rounds there will be next year and when or where they will be,None of which can or will be sorted until the board appoint the commissioner that will be running the sport,No tracks have been booked or clubs approached to date,As there is no one to do so,Who will be running the workshop at AGM????Think back to the application release for this position,Where is the smooth transition?Where is the new commissioner?Not good enough,If you want change to move the organisation forward,Now is the time.If your happy with whats been going on,Do nothing,GlenW and I have a plan going forward that includes convincing Dennis Charlett to apply for the South Island position next year and get everybody on the same page and have pledged to back the commissioner and aid him in moving the sport and organisation forward,We currently have plans in place to introduce a junior roadrace class starting at 8 years of age and we have the personel lined up to implement and run the training etc,Something the current on road board members have threatened us with for a number of years now,But done nothing more than talk about it.

Shaun Harris
2nd May 2014, 11:09
Bumpity bump,

If not,Time is running out,Below are some facts that you need to take into consideration,

The statement made that the board do not run the sport is not quite true,Commissioners can only implement changes that are ratified by the board,The commissioners are informed on introduction to "Run the sport as you see fit" but the part they leave out is "When we allow you to",Currently for example with roadracing,The commissioner has no control over sponsorship for the National series,Nor does he/she have ANY control over who is approached,When or how,Also any sponsorship funds collected do not go towards running the series,As the sponsorship committee have first dibs and no organising club can arrange sponsorship with any organisation that will conflict the series sponsors,It basically leaves them hamstrung when trying to fund their rounds,In short,The organising clubs are expected to meet an event protocol,With ZERO funding from the sponsorship committee and without conflicting the series sponsors without knowing who those series sponsors are until as late as November for a series that starts in January,A good example of how this works(Or rather doesn't work) is last year when MCI were offered $50,000 by EN1 to sponsor the NZGP meeting at Ruapuna,BUT had to turn it down due to Castrol being a series sponsor($5,000)?????Over the past 5 years,The sponsorship gained for this series has dropped from 5 distributors and an oil company,To this past series whereby the sponsors were 1 accessory distributor and a board member,Do you see this as progressing the sport as a whole????

The clubs are put at financial risk to run a championship that they are consistently told"Belong to MNZ" and are forced to agree to run to a protocol implemented by the board,Quite simply if MNZ own the championship titles(and they do),Then the board need to take control and ensure the series is run in an orderly manner AND underwrite the series and fund it in a sensible manner OR let an independent committee take it over,This past year as commissioner I was asked in September what my wish list was for NZSBK,My reply was $50,000,To date I have yet to receive a reply,Its my best guess,Seeing as the series has long since finished that I will not be receiving that or any other funding???? TIME FOR A CHANGE,What has been happening over the past 5 years is simply not working,The ONLY reason this past series worked as well as it did,Is because I as commissioner HAD to increase entry fees to cover the extra expense involved due to the lack of funding from the board,Is this how you see moving the sport forward????

Roadrace commissioner,

Why have the current board not appointed a replacement to date when applications closed on the 21st of March,At close of applications there was only 1 interested party,BUT he was unable to complete his application due to the office manager being unavailable to give him some extra information he required before submitting his application,That application was submitted a day late,But it was expected,The only other application was received a week after they closed and to be honest,While I have a hell of a lot of respect for that person,I would have to question why the board would consider an application for such an important and extensive job,From somebody who couldn't even get the application in on time,The original applicant was awarded organiser if the year at last years AGM and has the backing of both myself and Glen Williams,Whats to consider and why has he not been appointed,As I understand it,The board didn't even consider applications until the Monday just gone and have asked the applicants to explain their plans for the sport,All very good,But a month late!!!!! Furthermore they are asking thses applicants for an outline of a job that they don't have a job description for themselves WTF?????,I am already receiving calls from team managers and competitors wanting to know how many rounds there will be next year and when or where they will be,None of which can or will be sorted until the board appoint the commissioner that will be running the sport,No tracks have been booked or clubs approached to date,As there is no one to do so,Who will be running the workshop at AGM????Think back to the application release for this position,Where is the smooth transition?Where is the new commissioner?Not good enough,If you want change to move the organisation forward,Now is the time.If your happy with whats been going on,Do nothing,GlenW and I have a plan going forward that includes convincing Dennis Charlett to apply for the South Island position next year and get everybody on the same page and have pledged to back the commissioner and aid him in moving the sport and organisation forward,We currently have plans in place to introduce a junior roadrace class starting at 8 years of age and we have the personel lined up to implement and run the training etc,Something the current on road board members have threatened us with for a number of years now,But done nothing more than talk about it.

The current board are NOT upto the position, simple as that.

codgyoleracer
2nd May 2014, 17:07
Bumpity bump,

Roadrace commissioner,

Geez Billy, Why not say what your thinking Fellah .......... :-)

Ticking the box Graeme Billington for North Island Representative Nominee sounds good to me, But of course thats only my opinion, - 10 days left to vote ?

Good luck to all the following of course

Graeme Billington
Ray Broad
Paul Stewart

I look forward to working with one of you soon.
Glen Williams

Danger Dave
2nd May 2014, 17:18
Done my vote :2thumbsup now i get to winge if i want :lol:

Bert
2nd May 2014, 18:19
Done my vote :2thumbsup now i get to winge if i want :lol:

Here let's make it easy for people (sorry Sean you still need to be a member)... Voting gets winging rights....:clap:

Link http://www.mnz.co.nz/online-voting

scrivy
2nd May 2014, 22:11
The statement made that the board do not run the sport is not quite true,Commissioners can only implement changes that are ratified by the board
Do you see this as progressing the sport as a whole????

The clubs are put at financial risk to run a championship that they are consistently told"Belong to MNZ" and are forced to agree to run to a protocol implemented by the board,Quite simply if MNZ own the championship titles(and they do),Then the board need to take control and ensure the series is run in an orderly manner AND underwrite the series and fund it in a sensible manner OR let an independent committee take it over,
TIME FOR A CHANGE,What has been happening over the past 5 years is simply not working,The ONLY reason this past series worked as well as it did,Is because I as commissioner HAD to increase entry fees to cover the extra expense involved due to the lack of funding from the board,Is this how you see moving the sport forward????

Roadrace commissioner,
Why have the current board not appointed a replacement to date when applications closed on the 21st of March,
The board didn't even consider applications until the Monday just gone and have asked the applicants to explain their plans for the sport,All very good,But a month late!!!!! Furthermore they are asking thses applicants for an outline of a job that they don't have a job description for themselves WTF?????
None of which can or will be sorted until the board appoint the commissioner that will be running the sport,No tracks have been booked or clubs approached to date,As there is no one to do so,Who will be running the workshop at AGM????Think back to the application release for this position,Where is the smooth transition?Where is the new commissioner?Not good enough,If you want change to move the organisation forward,Now is the time.If your happy with whats been going on,Do nothing,GlenW and I have a plan going forward that includes convincing Dennis Charlett to apply for the South Island position next year and get everybody on the same page and have pledged to back the commissioner and aid him in moving the sport and organisation forward,We currently have plans in place to introduce a junior roadrace class starting at 8 years of age and we have the personel lined up to implement and run the training etc,Something the current on road board members have threatened us with for a number of years now,But done nothing more than talk about it.

Fark me.... Someone needs a hug..... :love: :eek:

Hmmmm.... you know I don't like to stir shit Billy..... :no::laugh::bleh::devil2::facepalm:
But isn't the MNZ President present at each GB meeting? And doesn't he chair the meeting, and doesn't he have deliberative and a casting vote??
Or am I wrong??

If so, is he as much to blame for the fuck ups as you imply the Board are??

Just asking.....

Billy
2nd May 2014, 23:06
Fark me.... Someone needs a hug..... :love: :eek:

Hmmmm.... you know I don't like to stir shit Billy..... :no::laugh::bleh::devil2::facepalm:
But isn't the MNZ President present at each GB meeting? And doesn't he chair the meeting, and doesn't he have deliberative and a casting vote??
Or am I wrong??

If so, is he as much to blame for the fuck ups as you imply the Board are??

Just asking.....

Haha,
Um,Err,Yea nah I'm sure you don't,If only it was that simple,PM on its way

Shaun Harris
3rd May 2014, 07:47
Here let's make it easy for people (sorry Sean you still need to be a member)... Voting gets winging rights....:clap:

Link http://www.mnz.co.nz/online-voting

my membership payment will be maid in time to vote for Billy!!!!! Not that I race, but still care for our sport and the future riders coming through. The Board has to change!

scrivy
3rd May 2014, 10:17
The Board has to change!

Yip.

I remember walking into the Palmerston MNZ AGM a few years back, and a board member standing there welcoming members in said to some skanky hag, "Smell that? Smells like shit!" refering to me as I walked in. Not exactly upholding the duties and responsibilities of the MNZ office eh? Maybe I should have protested, or at that time, had a code of conduct slapped at him....
...and they wonder why they don't get respect......

If you don't like doing your job, or are a hinderance to your sport, or don't like your financial members, then throw your leg over a bike, and fuck off.......

Anyway, I'd had a shower about an hour beforehand..... :oi-grr:

Shaun Harris
3rd May 2014, 10:26
Yip.

I remember walking into the Palmerston MNZ AGM a few years back, and a board member standing there welcoming members in said to some skanky hag, "Smell that? Smells like shit!" refering to me as I walked in. Not exactly upholding the duties and responsibilities of the MNZ office eh? Maybe I should have protested, or at that time, had a code of conduct slapped at him....

If you don't like doing your job, or are a hinderance to your sport, or don't like your financial members, then throw your leg over a bike, and fuck off.......

Anyway, I'd had a shower about an hour beforehand..... :oi-grr:

It is the 3rd of May already and not even a hint of dates for the NZ Champs yet

What has happened with the sponsorship side of there roll, where has all the money gone?

One of them has called me re comments I have made on here about his roll, but Only one of them. Whilst I thought it was pro active of him to call me I still say he needs gone.

And I also say the king pin behind it all needs to stand up and force there people to act or fuk off

Scriv, you are meat to smell, you are a chair racer

Shaun Harris
3rd May 2014, 11:37
Responsibillities of the board as per the code from MNZ

Can some one please post link of resposibillities these people have accepted in this roll

scrivy
3rd May 2014, 14:07
Responsibillities of the board as per the code from MNZ

Can some one please post link of resposibillities these people have accepted in this roll

This here (http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Menu_And_Nutrition/MenuFAQs.aspx) is what their rolls are all about.

Shaun Harris
3rd May 2014, 14:19
This here (http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/Menu_And_Nutrition/MenuFAQs.aspx) is what their rolls are all about.

I do not want to post the link I think it is, as what I am reading believing to be there position description is clearly NOT being done, maybe I have looked at the wrong dept, and soory also do not if it is a volintree roll, you accepted it, you do it!

budda
9th May 2014, 11:06
Bumpity bump,

Roadrace commissioner,

I'm sure there will be those perusing this and other sites ready and waiting with a CoC complaint too

Billy
12th May 2014, 08:49
Bumpity bump,

Roadrace commissioner,

Last day for voting today,HAVE YOUR SAY and make a change.