PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Corner

Two Smoker
3rd September 2005, 14:17
Hey everyone,

I was chatting to MR abouit a experience that i had at the last track day... That experience being the perfect corner...

Ive only done it once, and it scared the shit out of me, but i want to do it again so badly...

I was going through the esses at Pukekohe, i cranked it over to the right and was going abit quicker than i normally would, i drifted right out to the edge of the track (wheels right next to the ripple strip, and then proceeded to go into castrol, slightly brushing away the speed with the front brake but holding the throttle to keep the bike stable. My knee brushed the ripple strip of the apex, and i thought i was going too hot and going to crash into the wall (i was at maximum lean angle, although i reckon it can be leaned abit further)... But i held the lean, started feeding on the gas, and then i straightened the bike right on the white line!!! Farken hell what an experience... It was just like how the MotoGP and SBK guys do it... It gave me the absolute shits, but i wanted to (and still want to) do it again... Out of all the racing i have done, (some of this racing in the top 3 places on the track) this is the first perfect corner i have done...

What can i get from this insight of the perfect corner??? I have alot of work to do!!! 1:07's around Pukekohe look realistic on my stock standard ZXR400 if i can get the perfect corner on every corner... This also raises my respect (which was already extremely high) of all the top racers that continually do it on every lap!!!

Has anyone else done this (im sure some of you have)???

Motu
3rd September 2005, 14:59
It's hard finding the perfect corner boy.....

I've done lots of corners where I'm just blown away - no way could I have gone in faster,cranked it further over,got it more sideways,come out the exit on the limit of control.Trouble is no one has seen me do it...or if they were there they were talking to someone or having a piss.Still,I know how good it was eh?

TwoSeven
3rd September 2005, 16:05
I find 'perfect' corners almost as boring as the straights - because when you set up for them there isnt actually that much to do, so I find in order to make it more complex and give my brain something to do I work on sets of corners (which I have posted on ages back).

I do find that when you mess up corners they become insteresting - so I often deliberately take different and wierd lines into a corner simply to figure out what will happen, liven things up and just to experiment.

In the courier world there is an old english term known as 'a blinder' which refers to when man, machine, tires, roads surface, weather, lights, people, traffic, controller yada yada are all working in perfect harmony that everything just flows.

I suspect you had one of those moment :) :)

Which pretty much sums up what motorcycling is all about really

Two Smoker
3rd September 2005, 16:11
I find 'perfect' corners almost as boring as the straights - because when you set up for them there isnt actually that much to do, so I find in order to make it more complex and give my brain something to do I work on sets of corners (which I have posted on ages back).

I do find that when you mess up corners they become insteresting - so I often deliberately take different and wierd lines into a corner simply to figure out what will happen, liven things up and just to experiment.

In the courier world there is an old english term known as 'a blinder' which refers to when man, machine, tires, roads surface, weather, lights, people, traffic, controller yada yada are all working in perfect harmony that everything just flows.

I suspect you had one of those moment :) :)

Which pretty much sums up what motorcycling is all about really

Yeah it was one of those moments, but i still find it very exciting to be going around a corner at 130odd kmh and get it right to within centimeters... and yep, i like to work on sets of corners... for instance at Pukekohe going through jennian, into the esses and through castrol... muck one corner up and they are pretty much all mucked up when your on the limit... also from the hairpin to the front straight...

Who cares if people see Motu... aslong as you get that feeling and know you did it...