PDA

View Full Version : Anyone collect tramping boots for their stable?

Waihou Thumper
12th April 2014, 19:46
Shit....
Seem to have won a few auctions of late.....
I got La Sportiva, Meindl, Bates, Vasque.....and that aint the end!
I tramp, love the Makalu boots I have, the Meindl Island Pro's....
The Vasque and La Sportiva are very well made....
Meindl, awesome, good enough for the Army, both in Germany and the UK!....

Size 10's and 10 and a half....get a bigger size than normal.
Actually, they also make good riding boots.....Not the Stiff, crampon, mountaineering boots, but the others...
The German Police use Meindl. The Fire service use Haix...
I have a pair for work, they are the EMT version, comfortable, steel caps and have high viz on them....

My spit polishing talent is still there...:)

Laava
12th April 2014, 21:10
Are you pissed?

Waihou Thumper
12th April 2014, 21:13
Are you pissed?

No....Just addicted to Vibram...:)

unstuck
13th April 2014, 07:04
I have some Hunters element boots for the bush, had them for almost 15 years and the only thing giving up on them is a couple of eyelets. Best boots I have owned. Tried all sorts of boots when I was with DOC, but the old ashley lace up half boots were the best for the job back then.:Punk::Punk:

http://www.solargas.cl/media/producto/ee246ae48c6d49cb1e2636864dba92b8.jpg

R650R
13th April 2014, 19:14
Just looked at mine and Vibram on sole. Columbia Omni tech from FCO awhile back EUR 48 USA 13.
I tend to find something I like and wear it till it falls apart so not looking for anything new.
Am interested in crampon thingies if compatible as would like to do a winter Tongariro crossing at some stage...
Best boots ever were John Bull calf height combat boots from Neals Army store in the bay. Everything was Quad stiched and eyelet lace up all way to top.
Got seven years out of them a not a single blister ever. They were surplus from aussie infantry order and never saw same spec for sale again anywhere.

Brett
13th April 2014, 20:51
I love my Bates M6 boots. Found that they are not a great wet weather tramping boot though (As in extreme wet). They are awesome for general day to day wear though. I have worn them pretty much every day since I bought them just over 2 years ago and they are still holding together well...although the Vibram sole is starting to run out of tread in the mid section. This includes using them for tramping and even running on occasion. Definitely going to buy another pair. Also want a pair of the Magnum Sidewinder HPI in beige or black (not the multi-cam).

haydes55
13th April 2014, 23:11
Wear tramping boots for riding myself. I have a mixture of brands and try to get good brands on sale. They would outlast motorbike boots as their soles are so much thicker.

For someone who believes that so many accidents are unavoidable, I would have thought you would wear footwear that is actually designed to protect your feet/ankles in a crash. Tramping boots are designed for entirely different kinds of protection. They help protect you from rolling your ankle from a misplaced step, try hitting a kurb at 30km/h in a slide and see how your ankle survives versus a proper boot. (yes I mean put a tramping boot on one foot and a motorbike boot on the other and hurl yourself at a kurb... For science).

Tazz
13th April 2014, 23:51
Hi-Tecs. Got a pair when I was 14 which I wore tramping (duh), to gigs, digging in the garden, wading through spilt beer, urban tramping (OE), to school, to work, to the dairy, sometimes on my hands pretending I had 4 feet, hunting. Not only was I considered to be at the pinnacle of fashion everywhere I went, they lasted so incredibly well and were so comfortable. I still dream about them sometimes.... Got the new version of the same boot. So far so good. Because they're still so shiney I can even pull them off at work for a while yet :Punk:

My step-grandfather was in the Pacific for WWII and when he came back he rocked a pair of boots (and then shoes when he retired) for everyday of the week. Never the same boots two days in a row. Never talked much about it but I think he learnt the value of decent footwear the hard way (and without a choice. poor buggers).

For someone who believes that so many accidents are unavoidable, I would have thought you would wear footwear that is actually designed to protect your feet/ankles in a crash. Tramping boots are designed for entirely different kinds of protection. They help protect you from rolling your ankle from a misplaced step, try hitting a kurb at 30km/h in a slide and see how your ankle survives versus a proper boot. (yes I mean put a tramping boot on one foot and a motorbike boot on the other and hurl yourself at a kurb... For science).

Tits, boots, or gtfo. Don't need ANOTHER one of 'those' threads man :laugh: