PDA

View Full Version : No Ice Thanks

Maha
14th April 2014, 19:21
A few years ago, the Earth was severely covered in ice, then over the next few million years (or so) that ice cover melted away, and now resides at the where it is today. It's a given that the polar ice caps expand and contract each year, as they have since the end of the ice age...

Question is...
What made that ice cover (from a few millions ago) melt away? if you believe it were climate change, what caused that climate change? it must have massive, more so than what is on offer today, fossil fuels and car exhaust.

Thaeos
14th April 2014, 19:53
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karoo_Ice_Age

Dunno, I don't think that link provides a real answer, ask a scientist? environment@auckland.ac.nz

caseye
14th April 2014, 20:00
Seriously, since when is a web site where anyone can write in and change historical fact any sort of an accurate reference. The term scientist is being used fast and loosely of late.
Even the man/scientist who first thought GM was for real has now said."No I was wrong"

skippa1
14th April 2014, 20:07
A few years ago, the Earth was severely covered in ice, then over the next few million years (or so) that ice cover melted away, and now resides at the where it is today. It's a given that the polar ice caps expand and contract each year, as they have since the end of the ice age...

Question is...
What made that ice cover (from a few millions ago) melt away? if you believe it were climate change, what caused that climate change? it must have massive, more so than what is on offer today, fossil fuels and car exhaust.
It was all the dinosaur farts....fossil fuel

haydes55
14th April 2014, 20:31
The earth moves through it's 4 seasons a year, and it moves through massive seasonal changes over millions of years, the earth is several billion years old, and has had plenty of ice ages. If we are to survive as a species we have to adapt. The climate will change, that's inevitable and natural.

As to what causes it, that Jesus fullah is still fucking around with the thermostat. Or something that a scientist can explain. But basically, earth gets hot, then earth gets cold, rinse and repeat.

mashman
14th April 2014, 20:45
It's all the ice-breakers fault.

Maha
14th April 2014, 21:04
If you fill a glass with ice, and water, to the rim, the water level wont rise when the ice melts, it's called displacement. Test this theory when next ordering a drink at KFC.

Ribit
14th April 2014, 21:06
The reason the atmosphere is heating up so rapidly in the last hundred years or so is because of man made refrigeration.
It's a well known scientific fact that energy cant be destroyed or created it just changes forms or moves. All the icecaps arent melting, we're just storing the equivelent amount of ice from the polar ice caps in little boxes in our houses...

It follows the same logic as Dark suckers. Light bulbs dont emit light, they suck the dark out of the atmosphere. thats why lightbulbs are black when they burn out. They're full of dark. You need to get a new empty one.

:msn-wink:

Akzle
14th April 2014, 21:33
jews did it with haarp.

mashman
14th April 2014, 21:41
If you fill a glass with ice, and water, to the rim, the water level wont rise when the ice melts, it's called displacement. Test this theory when next ordering a drink at KFC.

Fill the same cup and then put the lid on. Put 2 cubes of ice on top of the lid and watch it overflow. It's called glacial melt.

Voltaire
14th April 2014, 21:44
Its just Earths way of cleansing itself of the disease that is mankind.:rolleyes:

scrivy
14th April 2014, 21:54
The big yellow lightbulb in the sky........:shit:

Do I win the chocolate fish?? :woohoo:

spanner spinner
14th April 2014, 21:54

this would work if all in ice current frozen on earth was floating in the oceans but it's not. the two largest collections of ice are land based Antarctica and Greenland.

R650R
14th April 2014, 21:56
Its because when God created the oceans he put too much antifreeze in and he didn't use distilled water like in the instructions due to inventing alcohol the day before.
And like all good recipes the one on how to home brew your own plabet didn't specify how long to leave it to simmer before switching off.

Seriously I think it has something to do with that giant firey disc that rises in the sky everyday.

spanner spinner
14th April 2014, 22:03

Question is...

fluctuations in the suns heat output, fluctuations in the orbit of the earth, volcanic eruptions both causing heating and pushing dust into the atmosphere causing cooling. being hit by space debris once again causing dust in the upper atmosphere all of these have triggered ice ages at various times. Also once you start the process of cooling going it feeds on it's self as the ice building up reflects heat back into space causing more ice to build up.

mashman
14th April 2014, 22:17
Once upon a time forests ranged from coast to coast. When a fire started it likely never stopped until all of the carbon was released into the atmosphere. The trees grew back and absorbed the carbon. We've burned the trees and paved paradise and put up parking lots.

FJRider
14th April 2014, 22:21

Water expands as it freezes into ice. It then reduces in size as it thaws.So there is no chance your glass will overflow. You can test (prove) this by filling a glass screw to bottle with water and place in freezer overnight.

Displacement is the process of measuring volume. Displacement occurs when an object is immersed in a fluid, pushing it out of the way and taking its place. The volume of the fluid displaced can then be measured, and from this the volume of the immersed object can be deduced (the volume of the immersed object will be exactly equal to the volume of the displaced fluid). You test/prove this theory by filling the glass with water ... then adding the ice. The volume of water on the bench will be equal to the volume of ice that was added.

It has been suggested that a large meteorite hit(s) .. and the resulting large dust cloud(s) caused one (or more) ice age ...

One other noted possible cause could also have been volcanic and/or geothermal activity ... causing similar dust clouds ...

R650R
14th April 2014, 22:26
Once upon a time forests ranged from coast to coast. When a fire started it likely never stopped until all of the carbon was released into the atmosphere. The trees grew back and absorbed the carbon. We've burned the trees and paved paradise and put up parking lots.

Those parking lots all have grass verges, mowed byt he council too depending on where you live lol...
Talking grass though, that's one 'carbon sink' the experts refuse to use in their computer models and we all know why.
I love looking at old encyclopedias where it shows the full carbon cycle of plants reabsorbing carbon...

R650R
14th April 2014, 22:34
Water expands as it freezes into ice. It then reduces in size as it thaws.So there is no chance your glass will overflow. You can test (prove) this by filling a glass screw to bottle with water and place in freezer overnight.

Always meant to do a fishtank youtube demo vid of that. Crunched the numbers one night after some serious googling and taking into account everything;
Volume of oceans
Amount of frozen ice/glaciers etc
I love when they show the icebergs and harp on about how huge they are. But they don't mention that the 2/3rds under water is already displacing ocean level and will displace 10% less once its melted

Now even to get the dramatic end of world 1m sea level rise or whatever it was, you have to have all the ice melt and stay melted.
This brings in a great property from high school physics class of the Latent heat of evaporation, the amount of energy required to do this and its huge.
This heat would also cause a lot more evaporation, I'm sure those that have enjoyed aucklands humidity know how much water the atmosphere can hold too.
We would all be completely roasted long before the sea level rose a significant amount. No GW or CC but KFC, Kentucky Fried Calamity!

awa355
14th April 2014, 22:38
fluctuations in the suns heat output, fluctuations in the orbit of the earth, volcanic eruptions both causing heating and pushing dust into the atmosphere causing cooling. being hit by space debris once again causing dust in the upper atmosphere all of these have triggered ice ages at various times. Also once you start the process of cooling going it feeds on it's self as the ice building up reflects heat back into space causing more ice to build up.

You had to go and write something that makes sense, and could even be correct, didn't you :mad::mad:

Geez!!!

mashman
14th April 2014, 22:41
Those parking lots all have grass verges, mowed byt he council too depending on where you live lol...
Talking grass though, that's one 'carbon sink' the experts refuse to use in their computer models and we all know why.
I love looking at old encyclopedias where it shows the full carbon cycle of plants reabsorbing carbon...

Wonder how many blades of grass are required to hold as much carbon as a tree?

avgas
15th April 2014, 07:23
Chevy's and Kelvinator Refrigerators.
All the dinosaurs are pre-1950's

MSTRS
15th April 2014, 10:57
fluctuations...

Fluctuwhitepeople...

avgas
15th April 2014, 12:45
Fluctuwhitepeople...
He's right you know.

Before the white people there was no ice for the black people to put in their coke from KFC.

Tazz
15th April 2014, 13:29
s they have since the end of the ice age...

We're actually still in an ice age.

There was a good speech given by an Un Zedder to the house of commons (I think, or the tea drinkers Parliament, something governmental) on this topic that is worth a Google for. Sorry I don't have the link handy.

Laava
15th April 2014, 14:03
. You test/prove this theory by filling the glass with water ... then adding the ice. The volume of water on the bench will be equal to the volume of ice that was added. ...

Would it be more accurate to say the volume of water on the bench will be equal to the volume of water used to make the ice? Given that the ice expanded slightly during freezing lowering it's density?

BoristheBiter
15th April 2014, 15:31
Always meant to do a fishtank youtube demo vid of that. Crunched the numbers one night after some serious googling and taking into account everything;
Volume of oceans
Amount of frozen ice/glaciers etc
I love when they show the icebergs and harp on about how huge they are. But they don't mention that the 2/3rds under water is already displacing ocean level and will displace 10% less once its melted

Also they fail to account for erosion.

Maha
15th April 2014, 18:34
He's right you know.

Before the white people there was no ice for the black people to put in their PEPSI from KFC.

Fixed it for yous....

Mom
15th April 2014, 20:01

Some of the finest humour I have read on here in this thread.

FJRider
15th April 2014, 20:29
Would it be more accurate to say the volume of water on the bench will be equal to the volume of water used to make the ice? Given that the ice expanded slightly during freezing lowering it's density?

Actually ... it would be more accurate to say the volume of water on the bench is equal to the volume of ice below the waters surface. as the ice would not melt that fast.

As for the density ... which would you prefer to jump onto from a helicopter ... onto ice ... or the water ... ???

oneofsix
15th April 2014, 20:31
As for the density ... which would you prefer to jump onto from a helicopter ... onto ice ... or the water ... ???

would it be safe to say you would have to be pretty dense to do either?

FJRider
15th April 2014, 20:35
would it be safe to say you would have to be pretty dense to do either?

Actually ... I have done both. And both have their "Issues" ... <_<

mashman
15th April 2014, 20:37
Some of the finest humour I have read on here in this thread.

AGW baby... it's always a hoot.

mashman
15th April 2014, 20:42

Does frozen water evaporate when thawing?

oneofsix
15th April 2014, 20:43
Fixed it for yous....

:clap: quite right too. They don;t like it when you ask for coke at KFC :rofl:

spanner spinner
15th April 2014, 21:52
Does frozen water evaporate when thawing?

yep and it doesn't even need to be thawed, and you can try this experiment at home to. put a measured volume of ice cubes in your deep freeze and leave them there for a month or so then check the volume left, there will be less and they have never even thawed. he surface of the ice cubes lose vapour into the inside of the deep freeze and remember this is all happening at a temperature that is below 0. These are the same conditions that exist over ice sheets during ice ages very low temperature and very low humidity.

george formby
15th April 2014, 23:36
Hmmm. Whatever the combination of reasons for recurring ice ages we should be very thankful that ice is water. Imagine if ice sank like most other frozen liquids. Layer upon layer. Under pressure. Unable to melt.
Speaking of pressure. I still struggle to get my head around the fact that you can swim or put subs into water at huge depth with no effect on the ability to move but can still be crushed. In my own experience it feels the same 60 mtrs down as it does on the surface. Deep sea fish are soft. WTF?
The world record for no limits free diving is about 100mtrs last time i looked. No restriction on movement yet the gas in all cells is compressed to massive extremes. Lungs squeezed to the size of oranges. Weird.

Strange stuff water.

avgas
16th April 2014, 01:51
Fixed it for yous....
I deny the existence of that product.
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/gospel-of-cokeslides-1208226140427056-9/95/slide-1-728.jpg?1208218920
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4SmwhTqyfeY/UEN6_eflX6I/AAAAAAAAZAI/c7U2hFDjL6w/s1600/jesus%2Blikes%2Bcoke.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QtGAdWXP8qk/TUL52kHU8YI/AAAAAAAABz4/8XbmxGkU_NU/s1600/Glory+1+-+blog.jpg

avgas
16th April 2014, 01:54
:clap: quite right too. They don;t like it when you ask for coke at KFC :rofl:
Or big macs

Personally I blame global warming on the whole thing. That's why KFC workers are so uptight.

Maha
16th April 2014, 18:47
Seriously, since when is a web site where anyone can write in and change historical fact any sort of an accurate reference. The term scientist is being used fast and loosely of late.
Even the man/scientist who first thought GM was for real has now said."No I was wrong"

So when are you going to update your bike status with that recent new purchase in all, when Hell freezers over? and is that scenario even a possibility?