PDA

View Full Version : Tinkering with the ZXR...

sedge
3rd September 2005, 19:07
OK... Brainfart time... I was looking at some Tomaselli (sp?) adjustable clip-ons on trade me coz they would let me move the bars out and up a little bit.

Then I had an idea...

The clip-ons that are there already have a pin in to the underside of the upper triple clamp which stops them spinning around on the fork... Fair enough.

Now, what you would expect to be preload adjusters on the 91 ZXR750 forks are in fact ride height adjusters, nothing to do with preload at all. Factory settings are around 20mm of ride height set by the number of rings on the 'preload' adjusters, I've got it set around 15mm. Actual fork deck height is 0 at the moment, it should be 3.5 mm.The clipons are 35mm thick.

If I drop the forks through the yokes 35mm and turn the clip ons over and mount them above the top tree I should be able to spin the clipons around the fork to where I want. Then I'll tap a hole to screw them in and wind the ride height full up.

The result would be an effective drop in front ride height of 12.5mm from factory settings. The clipons would raised around 10mm and swung out a little for better leverage, they also wont catch my hands on the tank on full lock anymore.

Is that a bad thing ?... I have no fairing and am making jack up plates for the pegs, so not sure if ride height is an issue ?

The other thing to consider is that I have a later model shock linkage in the rear which in conjuntion with the later dog bones lowers rear ride height from stock, if I fit the early dog bones the rear end is too high. (I may get a set made up to length once I've got the new shock in)

I did all this as the linkage is more linear and makes the shock work better (I've got a later model fully adjustable shock on the way)

Does this make sense ? Is it a good idea ? Anyone ? Will 12.5mm off front ride height cause any problems ? How do I work out the optimum rear height once I've done stuff to the front ?

Oh yeah, it's for a streetfighter, but I still want lowish bars and sportbike handling.

Sedge.