PDA

View Full Version : Benji Marshall can't play Rugby Union

Woodman
21st April 2014, 18:47
Pity he couldn't make it in the proper rugby code, and is heading back to the simple game.

Thought he would have been okay, but you never can tell aye

Wingnut
21st April 2014, 18:48
I'm sure he can play.

Just not as many would have expected.... Poor Benji boo boo

Robbo
21st April 2014, 19:05
Yep, it looks like Union was'nt for him and he wants to go back to League if he can find a club that will have him.
His old club the Tigers had a dreadful year in 2013 but have come out firing this year. I doubt that they will want
him back though. Could just be that he's past his prime time for playing competitively.

Maha
21st April 2014, 19:38
Depression.org Sir John will see him there.

oldrider
21st April 2014, 22:30
Feel a bit sorry for Benji ... he seems like a very nice guy, I had hopes he could make it.

I note that the rat Henry has slid quietly away from the sinking Blues ship!

merv
21st April 2014, 23:11
How can they judge him when he was never allowed to play?

Fastmark
22nd April 2014, 12:31
Depression.org Sir John will see him there.

Love it :laugh:

scott411
22nd April 2014, 12:33
How can they judge him when he was never allowed to play?

did you watch the weekend's game? he was out of his depth at 1st five, and it was discussed going to play club rugby and ITM cup to get ready for next year, but he does not want to go down to that grade, I think the Blues and Benji bit off more than they could chew trying to get him ready for super 15 with no lower level rugby,

ellipsis
22nd April 2014, 12:48
Feel a bit sorry for Benji ... he seems like a very nice guy, I had hopes he could make it.

!

...likewise...

bluninja
22nd April 2014, 15:14
I wonder what he's like at boxing.

Maha
22nd April 2014, 15:35
I wonder what he's like at boxing.

Would only cost someone $500,000 and four weeks to discover that he is no good at that either.

The Reibz
22nd April 2014, 20:57
Tigers won't take him. Already proved they don't need him, currently sitting 2nd on the premiership ladder.
Warriors won't take him, already got Locke, Tomkins and Johnston.
Roosters nah
Dogs nah
Manly (are shit cunts, fuck em all) nah

In other news, I hear SBW might be swtiching codes again and joining the blackcaps

husaberg
22nd April 2014, 21:17
Benji has been with Rugby 9 Months played only 200 and something minutes, he hasn't had a chance. i feel for the guy.
He is a brilliantly talented footballer. (this is from a guy who was distrintly unimpressed by SWB when they picked him for the AB's btw)
Having played both as a back, Rugby is far easier. But First Five is a different kettle of Fish though Rugby league vs Union.
He should have been eased into it with game time at a lower level.
Bet he ends up with Wigan or similar.........

oldrider
23rd April 2014, 09:50
There is just far too much traffic on the field in Union compared to Leage for a player like Marshall.

He would be more suited to sevens than 15 aside and on top of that he is at the top end of his carear thats why nobody wants him!

Kirwin made a mistake in signing him but far better to try and fail than to never try at all ... good luck to Benji.

Still reckon SBW is over rated but they had to justify the big money that they were paying him, not looking forward to his return to rugby actually. :oi-grr:

Slorider
24th April 2014, 01:36
I wonder what he's like at boxing.-prob not too bad considering it runs in the whanau,an uncle or two in particular.Regardless of his future prospects he's quite likely made more than any of us ever will in our lifetimes-retirement wouldn't be such a bad option,prob could get into some sort of sports show hosting/promotion if wtd too

avgas
24th April 2014, 02:29
Don't know until you try.
Kirwin thought he had a thing. May be he does.

But he tried and it didn't work. Good on him for trying.
How many of you got asked to play?

Maha
24th April 2014, 06:36
Don't know until you try.
Kirwin thought he had a thing. May be he does.

But he tried and it didn't work. Good on him for trying.
How many of you got asked to play?

He plays football, he went from one code to another and failed at that transition. I have recently change what I have be doing for over 30 years to something completely different and have not/wont fail. Same but different.

Kirwin does not have my number.

Woodman
24th April 2014, 06:48
Feel sorry for him really especially playing at first five as that wouldn't be easy for someone who doesn't know the game that well. Maybe second five or centre would have been better for him.

I think he was managed poorly TBH.

DamianW
24th April 2014, 07:37
Hope BM signs for another season or two with an NRL club - he is great for the comp; but in the meantime I suspect there will be interest from English league clubs.

scott411
24th April 2014, 08:24
Feel sorry for him really especially playing at first five as that wouldn't be easy for someone who doesn't know the game that well. Maybe second five or centre would have been better for him.

I think he was managed poorly TBH.

agree totally with both parts of this, first five would be the hardest position to learn in rugby, with the less time to react and the most options, and he should have been put in a lower level first, I thought full back would have been a better position for him,

avgas
24th April 2014, 08:49
Kirwin does not have my number.
Oh how terrible. I had no idea. Have a cry about it then.

Changing something after 30 years. All on your own.
Yes Mom....:msn-wink:

oldrider
24th April 2014, 09:44
Doubtfull that he was managed badly, like he said himself he did not want to go down and work his way back up! ... Pride before a fall?

Most of the management problems may have been his own, shame really but thats life! :blip:

pritch
24th April 2014, 10:10

I too feel sorry for him. With a decent coach he might have made a go of it.

The Reibz
24th April 2014, 10:22
http://iforce.co.nz/i/5b4oqr3m.mwc.jpg (http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=5b4oqr3m.mwc.jpg)

Hoon
24th April 2014, 12:13
I thought full back would have been a better position for him,
Yep fullback or ITM cup. A bit optimistic to think he could jump straight into the drivers seat at the top level.