PDA

View Full Version : GN250 economy vs car

2sams
4th September 2005, 12:50
Hi all,
Looking at getting the GN250 for daily use (approx 80km) road trip. It is all open road with about 3 stops, Dunsandel to airport.
Q: Would getting the GN250 be an economical option as my Caldina doing about 15km/L?
Don't mind the cold and a bit of rain, am 95-105kg and about 6ft2 if that makes any difference to its economic ability!

Any advice would be a great help, thanks.

Jeremy
4th September 2005, 13:09
My GN250 just got 130km for $8.33 = 15km/$1. And that was all short trips this week.

Jantar
4th September 2005, 13:10
Welcome 2Sams,

The GN250 is a very economical bike, and will certainly use a lot less fuel than your Caldina. My GS1200SS uses less fuel than your car, and the GN is much much more economical. The costs that will jump out at you unexpectedly though are registration and insurance. Both items are so much dearer than for a car. yet the GN250's low fuel consumption will make up for those other items. :ride:

zeRax
4th September 2005, 14:37
why bother with insurance on anything but an expensive bike?

sunhuntin
4th September 2005, 17:51
my gn takes roughly $10 gas a week. thats using her as sole transport [no car] and riding at 80k at least once a day. not sure how long the ride is km wise, but usually spend about an hour or two a day on her.

froggyfrenchman
4th September 2005, 18:00
gn = good. car = bad

Bonez
4th September 2005, 19:33
why bother with insurance on anything but an expensive bike?
A minimum of third party insurance is a good thing. Should be compulsary upon reregestering any vehicle.

2sams
4th September 2005, 20:23
Thanks to those who replied, appreciated the comments and advice. My hubby and I are chewing it over and any other comments and advice are welcome. Anyone heard what the Yamaha virago 250 is like, compared to the GN250? Also had a look at the Suzuki GZ250 and it seemed more comfortable to ride for a cruiser, any thoughts? Sorry to bombarde you with questions but the best advice comes from those who have been there done that!
Kia ora

sels1
4th September 2005, 20:56
Best thing is to go around a few bike shops and sit on and test ride a few bikes to find one that "feels" right for you. If you are tall you may find the GN a little cramped, but there are other 250s that have larger frame layout. Any 250 will be way more economical than a car.
Welcome to the site btw

skelstar
4th September 2005, 21:32
Real world figures. I have a Hyosung 250 that, when I was running it in, was getting 30km/litre. Now its around 23-26 km/l (hooning more now). My bikes a more powerful (bit more) v-twin which I am assuming uses a bit more gas.

thehollowmen
5th September 2005, 08:05
open road on a GN250, I did Dunedin to christchurch on $12 at the start of the year, couldn't beleive it but verified it on the way back.

You'll probably get less than that because of a bit more 'urban' value. I got 250 km until reserve (8L) around town.. so upwards of that.

But have a look at a slightly 'larger' or sportier 250 for a bit of fun ;-) The GNs get small fast.

2sams
5th September 2005, 13:29
...some great info there guys n' gals. Thanks alot and keep it coming if you don't mind. It's certainly pushing us towards the m/bike's side of the fence. We do have a wee run about so we won't be completely carless. We could of course get rid of that and keep the Caldina! BTW hubby's a short-arse so we'll keep with the GN250 or there abouts. I don't mind the crouch for half an hour or so either. Will be doing the "Ride Rite" course as soon as we get some time up our sleeves...any tips?

madboy
5th September 2005, 13:55
I've never owned anything as slow as a GN, but I have ridden a loaner on. I'd be a bit concerned about the open road on such a gutless bike. Hey, don't let me put you off, I'm coming at it from the angle that with your size you'll probably be pushing the bike fairly hard to ride at the speed limit, with bugger all left in case you need to bust out a quick passing move or something.

My partner has a GSX250 for a while, gutless too but at least capable of open road cruising without undue stress.

Mileage on my 636 is generally around 6 or 7 litres/100k, which is 14-17kms/litre. And I wouldn't win any economy runs on the road.

Magua
5th September 2005, 14:16
Welcome 2Sams,

The GN250 is a very economical bike, and will certainly use a lot less fuel than your Caldina. My GS1200SS uses less fuel than your car, and the GN is much much more economical. The costs that will jump out at you unexpectedly though are registration and insurance. Both items are so much dearer than for a car. yet the GN250's low fuel consumption will make up for those other items. :ride:

Insurance should be pathetic for a gn. I pay $21 for full insurance, 45 hp vs gns 17, bikes insured for $1600.

Spaz
5th September 2005, 18:41
Back in the day, my GN made 330k's for about 8 or 9 litres of gas.

madboy
5th September 2005, 21:51
Further to before, I had a chat to one of the guys at work who's got a GN250 (brand new of course). He's a senior manager, older (middle aged I think they call themselves) and he's got it to learn to ride on before he buys something bigger. Does the commute on it a couple times each week, which involves a couple hills, bit of residential and prob 10k of motorway. His opinion was that it was fine cruising with traffic, a bit scary in sidewinds being so little, but forget about passing anything. No probs on the mway where you can take 15mins to pass someone, but on the open road might be a pain.

My 2 cents :) Enjoy whatever you buy, it'll be a buzz no matter what (not to mention cheaper than a Caldina). Oh, and I just filled up the 636, 12.2 litres for 190kms. Must have been that slow trip back from Manfeild yesterday where I wussed it the whole way...

Rhino
5th September 2005, 22:26
Anyone heard what the Yamaha virago 250 is like, compared to the GN250? Sorry to bombarde you with questions but the best advice comes from those who have been there done that!
Kia ora

Hi 2sams,

We bought a new Virago for Scorpygirl when she decided to get her license. I took it to work for about 4 weeks travelling up and down the Southern Motorway in Auckland while running it in. They are a nice bike to ride, very well balanced at low speeds, yet capable of running quiet happily at 110 kph for as long as you wish. :2thumbsup

Being a cruiser, the riding position is obviously different. It really depends on what suits you. Having lived in Canterbury for 30 years before moving North, I would suggest that either bike would be ok for your daily commute, although all lightweight bikes can be a handfull in a howling Nor'Wester. :ride:

SARGE
5th September 2005, 22:44
Hi all,
Looking at getting the GN250 for daily use (approx 80km) road trip. It is all open road with about 3 stops, Dunsandel to airport.
Q: Would getting the GN250 be an economical option as my Caldina doing about 15km/L?
Don't mind the cold and a bit of rain, am 95-105kg and about 6ft2 if that makes any difference to its economic ability!

Any advice would be a great help, thanks.

funny this thread should pop up..

we are loaning the ROCK FM a GN for a contest very soon.. filling it up with 1 litre of fuel and checking how far she goes.. stay tuned

Scorpygirl
5th September 2005, 22:49
Hi 2sams,

We bought a new Virago for Scorpygirl when she decided to get her license. I took it to work for about 4 weeks travelling up and down the Southern Motorway in Auckland while running it in. They are a nice bike to ride, very well balanced at low speeds, yet capable of running quiet happily at 110 kph for as long as you wish. :2thumbsup

Being a cruiser, the riding position is obviously different. It really depends on what suits you. Having lived in Canterbury for 30 years before moving North, I would suggest that either bike would be ok for your daily commute, although all lightweight bikes can be a handfull in a howling Nor'Wester. :ride:

Rhino is right on all aspects here. The other thing to be mindful of is that the Virago has quite a long rake and this makes the handling a bit different around corners. I took mine to do my basic handling and couldn't get round the cones without knocking some over. The instructor said "but this is the required length between the cones" OK I said "But the bike can't make it around" "Come on, he said, let me try" and he couldn't get the bike around either without knocking over at least three cones. I pissed myself :rofl: So just to let you know they are a cool bike but the line is different.

crashe
5th September 2005, 23:00
Thanks to those who replied, appreciated the comments and advice. My hubby and I are chewing it over and any other comments and advice are welcome. Anyone heard what the Yamaha virago 250 is like, compared to the GN250? Also had a look at the Suzuki GZ250 and it seemed more comfortable to ride for a cruiser, any thoughts? Sorry to bombarde you with questions but the best advice comes from those who have been there done that!
Kia ora

Yep I ride a virago 250cc.... and she is loverly to ride... (see my avator pic)
comfy to sit on for the long rides... a great communtor as well.

I rode my baby from Ak to Hastings and did it no sweat.
Ridden the coromandel loop as well ....

Go into the bike shops and sit on both the Virago and the GN250 and then compare which one is more comfy for you... test ride them both.

Remember that taking corners on a Virago is sooooooooo sooooo different to a sports bike.. with a cruiser you dont lean right over on them... they take you around the corner. I have had mine up to 130km yet the lads reckon i have done 140 on her. I prefer to ride at 100 to 110 on open roads... No need to push the bike to hard

The Virago is a cruiser and I wouldnt trade her in for any other type of bike.
The Virago 250cc has a 9.5 litre tank so very cheap to run.

Pixie
5th September 2005, 23:07
Welcome 2Sams,

My bandit 12 got 48 mpg on the last tank,and normally gets 46 in normal brisk riding (110 to 130 kmph)
(My brain is still running old software)

SPORK
5th September 2005, 23:21
funny this thread should pop up..

we are loaning the ROCK FM a GN for a contest very soon.. filling it up with 1 litre of fuel and checking how far she goes.. stay tuned
Hey sweet!

The Rock + Bikes = Excellent!

Lou Girardin
7th September 2005, 10:43
15 km/l from a Caldina! That's what my Bandit does. How the hell do you manage that?
Coast down every hill?

Pancakes
7th September 2005, 12:12
I get 20k's/$1 running mine on 98 ($1.50+/L). Its really efficient under 80-90k's and sitting on 110+ starts drinking a bit more with the higher rev's and all. over 100 you'll end up keeping your wrist wound out and crossing your toes for a tail wind but other than that mine is plenty of fun, you will find learning easy but once you've been on for a while the lack of power can leave you perving at other bikes. I'm 183cm's and 75kg's. Ride 5 days a week to town from Whenuapai, about 6-8k's of open road and 30k's of motorway or lanesplitting at 60k's in 5th, very efficient! Go for rides around Ridge Rd, Coatsville H'Way, Bethells, Piha for fun too. Do it, get a bike.

ducatilover
15th September 2005, 20:53
my gn eats about as much as a hyosung gt250. but only cause i ride atleast 140 km per day at full throttle every gear [apart from the 50/70/80k areas] i find it extremely gutless but my ol'man wouldn't loan me money 4 a korean bike. got a fucken chinese one instead! :rofl: but atleast i can have a little bit of fu, down hill twisties, can drag heaps of cars in p-nth & win. i suck at draggin to!! :Punk:

SARGE
15th September 2005, 21:39
Hey sweet!

The Rock + Bikes = Excellent!

we just did a fuel test on a GN.. managed an average of 22 + change km/l of fuel.. 10.3 L tank

Artifice
16th September 2005, 03:13
i seem to do terrible mileage on my gsxr400, i keep trying to get the same power out of it as the r6 has, im down to about 12 or 13km/litre. its got an arrows exhaust but it's not in the power band 100% of the time so i think its just a thirsty bike. not my fault i say. the bike made me do it. nobody saw me do it anyways. i think ill just lay off the homebrew for a day or two now.

esspro
16th September 2005, 10:49
I would be stoked if your Caldinas getting that kind of mileage... My old Benz is getting 400kms to a 60 litre tank

SDU
16th September 2005, 12:59
Welcome 2sams.
My old Gn use to get me around (to Leithfeild, the hills to CHCH) ok on the open roads, yeah you have to think about the overtake but it went with the flow off the traffic no probs. A few 250's are like that but are good to learn on.
Being tall you may feel cramped. Some trail bikes may suit you too, as well as sportbikes. If your partner is short it is a matter off trying out a few different bikes to see what is comfy for you both. (My taller other 1/2 doesn't mind my XT too much for a shorties bike)
The ride rite courses are good. The instructor is neat & will guide you through, & takes the time to ensure you get it right. Don't be afraid to ask him silly questions he's heard them all before probably.
You can hire Gn250's to do the course on.
If you are doing the handling for the learners I think it maybe on a scooter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
I did the restricted to full L. with them. The full practical was a ride to Little River. We did some class room stuff first. It was a good day.
Good luck
SDU