PDA

View Full Version : Shinko Verge 016 (apex2) dual compound sport/tour rear tyre: Fail!

GrayWolf
25th April 2014, 20:13
Ok, it's a Shinko, and yes it has the usual 'shinko issues'
Takes a lot of warming up, needs to be ridden with 'care' in wet conditions, but dry road handling seemed fine compared to a BT023gt. If anything the more aggressive profile made handling a bit 'sharper'. Feedback from USA etc has been an increase of up to 30% in mileage from the previous model, so there was an expectation for at least 7/8000km's. Tread pattern seemed good and had very good depth, indicating a good thick layer of rubber.

First impressions the tyre seemed reasonable, yes in the wet the lower silicon level means it spun up easily on exposed tar, but ridden with that in mind, once warmed up there was no real issue. If you expect to go hard :facepalm:, it would indeed bite you in the arse in wet conditions.
So around 1.5/1700 km's all seemed good, wear seemed OK, handling was comfortable for the style of riding with a big heavy bike (265kg wet + 106kg rider).
Last weekend sadly for the Shinko, it all came undone. The work 'club' did a final weekender.
Saturday 19th we rode Wellington to Ohakune. (bearing in mind with a compliment of MT-01, C50 and a Spyder RT, the MT was the sportiest bike). From Wellington to past Otaki the traffic was bad so speed was down to 60 kph much of the time. Most of the time speed was a steady 90-105kph from then on, hardly high speed riding. We avoided most of the rain and only a little while before Ohakune did we get any real 'precipitate fall'.
Sunday 20th, wet from Ohakune to Waiuru then down to the start of the 'gentle annie'. Within 10km's the rain had gone completely and the sun came out. Again, and I should here really say, THANKFULLY? Most of the riding was in convoy with the C50 pacesetting with occasional 'quick fang' (myself) on some of the series of bends. The whole of the 'annie' was ridden in this manner, Overnight in Napier.
Monday 21st, Napier to Wellington via SH50 and SH52. Mostly again pacesetting was done by the C50, so not a fast hard out ride on either day by any means. Although again there were 'bursts' of 'higher velocities' on occasion on the MT.

The end result, on inspection Tuesday morning, the rear tyre was absolutely shot in the very center. The middle 40-50mm was almost bald (possibly 0.25mm of tread at best in places). Compared to the still 'good 50%+' of the tread on the softer compound outer, this was shocking. I can only surmise had the 'annie' been ridden in a spirited fashion, there is a high chance the tyre could have failed either towards the end of it, or certainly on SH50 or SH52 the next day.
On discussion it is suspected 3 things came into effect, 1) tyre heat, 2) compound hardness, 3) Volcanic rock chip on a tar spray.
Most of the annie is this very abrasive surface and on inspection there seemed to be little 'lumps' in what was left of the tread in the centre, guess was, that the irregular pulsing deforming the tyre (compared to the smoother delivery of a 4 cyl) plus the very high torque (160+Nm's) of the MT, small 'chunks' were breaking off the edges of the tread when straightening up and accelerating out of the bends. (this is a best guess and not confirmed).
End result is a complete demise of the central tread in a little over 3000km's. Tyre pressure was correct, 40psi cold.

This is not a 'bagging' of the product, as, in other countries (road surfaces) the tyre seems to perform, but it looks as if it will not suit NZ road surfaces, and/or high torque big twins.

I will say here this is no reflection on TSS, in fact they were as disappointed as I am, we tried this tyre as an experiment, and they did ensure the T30 replacement was at a very good price from the supplier.
Maybe the apex2 will work better on a 4 cyl? or a lower torque output engine, my thought is the tyre just doesnt suit NZ roads.

haydes55
25th April 2014, 21:05
I just slapped a set of T30's on my bike, a huge improvement on PR3s. Defo avoiding shinkos, the PR3's got so hot on a spirited ride the tread was almost melting off.

george formby
26th April 2014, 00:03
Cue twilight zone music. Just about to put T30's on the TDM. I do like me Bridgestones or maybe it's just the bike. Never had an issue.
Now. The Shinko I have on the rear has done sterling service but does not like slippy surfaces if wet, from new. In it's dotage it has taken on the texture of hard plastic & really dislikes any road surface, trying to scurry off to the verge if a bit of lean angle & throttle application coincide. It's almost like having my own skid pan.
To be fair, though. For what it cost & the distance it has travelled I should not complain. I've never had a tire go "off" like this. Still tread on it but no grip. Bizarre.
Can't wait to get the T30's on & champfer me foot rests again.

SMOKEU
3rd May 2014, 20:16
That's why I stick with decent tyres, like Michelin.

gammaguy
3rd May 2014, 20:57
My three bikes run Michelin metzeler and bridgestones

Just because Shinko bought the technology from the old Yokohama factory don't make them good

Its all about carcass and compounds and sadly that's where the budget stuff falls short

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice

AllanB
3rd May 2014, 21:01
From my experience, other than 'stick' USA reports of tyre life etc are irrelevant in NZ conditions, out roads are much courser, we have corners and we tend to rider harder!

nzspokes
3rd May 2014, 21:11
I just slapped a set of T30's on my bike, a huge improvement on PR3s. Defo avoiding shinkos, the PR3's got so hot on a spirited ride the tread was almost melting off.

I had that trouble with PR3s untill I spent time getting the pressure correct. Then they were great.