PDA

View Full Version : Recommended next bike

jimdaworm
4th September 2005, 14:42
I thought I already posted this but it seems to have dissapeared :oi-grr:

I currently own a 1998 rg150, in the next month I hope to have my full so I am dreaming about my next bike :zzzz:

I have been looking at 600cc-750cc between 1990-97 for between $4000-5000 although I might stretch to $6000 if it makes a big difference.

CBR 600
GSX-750
ZX/ZXR 750

I want somthing that looks good, handles well and that is comfortable to ride, I am 185cm tall. Power is not soo important I like to accerate fast but I dont really speed, all these bikes seem to be very powerful.

Any ideas about these bikes or similar...

crazyxr250rider
4th September 2005, 14:50
big is good
you get bored slower with a more powerful bike
However be honest with your self when it comes to ability
it can get messy at 200kph plus+.
Have only owned the bikes i have now so can`t say much else

jimdaworm
4th September 2005, 14:58
True, I only cruse at 110km/h ish. Like I said I dont really speed, on the bike or in my car, I am sure it could get messy at over 200km/h! Probably quick and painless too though

crazyxr250rider
4th September 2005, 15:12
Consider a lowish geared VTR400
If acceleration is your thing
you don`t realy need 600cc if speed isn`t your thing
don`t hesitate to correct me though

onearmedbandit
4th September 2005, 15:13
From the list you've posted, I'd rate them as follows:

1/ CBR600 - Well built reliable 600 with forgiving handling. Can handle both touring and sports riding (to a degree obviously.)
2/ GSX750 - If you're not meaning the 'R' version, once again a well built reliable bike with forgiving handling. If you do mean the 'R' version the above stands true apart from the handling. Very very good, but not so forgiving to the inexperienced rider.
3/ ZXR750 - Very 'solid' front end, confidence inspiring. More linear power delivery. On most models they suffered from a too-firm rear end, although this can be sorted. Good looking bikes too.

WINJA
4th September 2005, 15:16
92/93 FIREBLADE, 96/97 GSXR750, 98/99 ZX9 ALL GOOD RELIABLE BIKES, I HATE HONDAS BUT NO DENYING THE 92/93 BLADE IS CHEAP FUN AND QUITE RELIABLE
97 GSXR750 IS SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN 96 CAUSE OF THE LUBRICATION.
THE 98/99 ZX9 IS A FANTASTIC ALL ROUNDER

onearmedbandit
4th September 2005, 15:27
97 GSXR750 IS SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN 96 CAUSE OF THE LUBRICATION.

WINJA, could you explain this a bit more. I would be interested to know where the difference lies.

Jantar
4th September 2005, 15:28
This question seems to be coming up very frequently, and invariably we are asked what is the best next bike for someone who up to now has never ridden anything bigger than a 250.

Its a bit like someone who has just got their pilots licence in a Cessna 152 at the local aero club asking if the next plane they fly should be an F16 or a Tornado.

It is best if you can step up to a slightly heavier and slightly more powerful bike for a few months while you try out an assortment of various styles of machine.

You may find you enjoy long distance touring in which case a heavier bike with plenty of torque would suit you best. Or maybe you want to hoon through tight corners, but not actually sit on the bike for more than an hour or two in which case a pure sports bike would be best.

There is no "BEST" bike until you know what type of riding you are going to be doing and the distances you intend travelling.

onearmedbandit
4th September 2005, 15:32
Unless he's looking at a nos'ed Hayabusa. That would be close wouldn't it? Or maybe the turbo Gixxer 1000 on trademe?

WINJA
4th September 2005, 15:38
WINJA, could you explain this a bit more. I would be interested to know where the difference lies.
DONT KNOW THE FULL STORY BUT MY MATE RACED A 96 , IT GRENADED AND THEY PUT 97 PARTS IN IT , I THINK IT HAD SOMETING TO DO WITH THE LITTLE
ENDS AND OIL JETS

onearmedbandit
4th September 2005, 16:02
Thanks. Just fixing teething problems from the first year then.

WINJA
4th September 2005, 16:05
GOT THE FULL STORY NOW . THE OIL JETS ,GUDGEONS AND CONRODS WERE SUPERCEDED . THE OILJETS WERE TOO SMALL, THE HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE CONROD FOR OIL WAS TOO SMALL , AND THE GUDGEONS WERE MADE HARDER , MY MATE ENDED UP BRONZE BUSHING HIS WHICH IS WHAT SUZUKI DID LATER

WINJA
4th September 2005, 16:06
Thanks. Just fixing teething problems from the first year then.
I THINK IT WAS ONLY A PROBLEM FOR RACERS WHO WHEEL STAND TOO MUCH , SO BEWARE THE EX RACE 750T

jimdaworm
4th September 2005, 16:31
You guys are great! Its wicked to get all this info! I really enjoy going for rides like yesterday we went to Masterton via the backroads and back but my current bike is not comfortable.

I really enjoy tight corners but also want to be able to travel at least a few hours and maby with my gf on the back.

I am not a very experienced rider so I guess the more forgiving bikes would be better for me.

I would really like a cbr600 although they seem to be hard to find in my price bracket... although I have found one with high kms.

Thanks again every :clap:

I just found this page that might be of interest to others just wondering about bike specs:
http://www.bikez.com/search/index.php

SPORK
4th September 2005, 18:35
Hey dude, how much do you think you'll be after for your bike when you sell it? I'm prowling for an RG...

Zed
4th September 2005, 19:06
I would really like a cbr600 although they seem to be hard to find in my price bracket... although I have found one with high kms.I've owned 2 x CBR600's and they were both great all-round bikes, couldn't make comment on the other two models you mentioned.

Best advice is to test ride a range of bikes and then make your decision. Set aside one Saturday morning to visit a few bike shops...once you get your full that is! Hope you pass with flying colours, then you can go out and buy a bike that flies! :ride:

jimdaworm
4th September 2005, 20:35
Thanks for the info Zed I might just do that, I quite like the look of the cbrs and keep hearing they are reliable and quite easy to ride. Do you think I should be able to realistically find one for $4-5000?

I am sure I will enjoy test riding them!... then again I am just day dreaming I still have to book my CBTA full course! :dodge:

Biff
4th September 2005, 22:08
Go for the CBR. Honda build quality should guarantee a good bike for the cash, and the CBR is a damned fine machine.

Zed
4th September 2005, 23:43
Do you think I should be able to realistically find one for $4-5000?There's one here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-34649975.htm) currently on TradeMe for that price. Kms are getting high but the price is right. If you were to buy privately you would do well to get a mechanical checkup done before handing the money over!

DingDong
5th September 2005, 00:01
Zeds got the right idea... dont jump into anything, find a few bikes you think look good, test ride them all to see if they ride good, then... wait for something to come along in your price range.
But dont buy a good looking bike with high Ks and make sure you get it checked out...

XP@
5th September 2005, 00:50
Hi,
The bikes you mentioned are all of the sports tourer category. Have you thought about any of the other styles?

I would recommend you have a look at a mid-sized dual purpose bike (650ccish)
For your first post-learner bike you should not make too big a jump.
I've had an F650 for about 5 years (100,000km's) and found it just about the easiest bike ever to ride, especially on NZ's bumpy roads.

Found it perfect for commuting (easy access over wellingtons footpaths)
Trips up the takas (The wide bars make the twisties a breeze)
Touring no worries (3* 1000milers, 1* southern cross and heaps of weeks / weekends camping)
Gravel roads (with a pair of TKC 80's there is a whole new world out there)
Off road (a bit heavy but will get you to the end of red rocks)

Performance it will leave most cars, and the top speed is fast enough to wave bye bye to your licence.
Handling, it will probably out handle you for a number of years.

Incidentally I will have an '97 F650 (only 120,000km's) for sale in a couple of months. About the same time i will be putting a '90 CBR600 recently rebuilt (still needs paint and valves set) up for sale. Dont know about $'s yet but pm me if interested.

jimdaworm
5th September 2005, 07:29
I am pretty sure I want a sports/tourer although I might try and take some other style bikes for a test ride. I also would prefer somthing not too heavy.

I really like how the CBRs look too :sherlock:

I saw that cbr on trademe before I was wondering what sort of things might go wrong with one with high kms.

I will definitly get any bike I buy checked out before I buy it if I am going to be spending this sort of money on it!

XP@ I think just about any bike can go fast enough to loose your license I am sure even my RG 150 could do it.

Jonty
5th September 2005, 08:20
I am pretty sure I want a sports/tourer although I might try and take some other style bikes for a test ride. I also would prefer somthing not too heavy.

I saw that cbr on trademe before I was wondering what sort of things might go wrong with one with high kms.

I will definitly get any bike I buy checked out before I buy it if I am going to be spending this sort of money on it!

XP@ I think just about any bike can go fast enough to loose your license I am sure even my RG 150 could do it.

Hey there

I moved up from a zxr250 to a 98' CBR600 and it was the prefect choice for me. They can go quick enough for you to lose your licence and you don't feel like your knees are up around you ears on a long ride. Also, the pillion doesn't complain too much about the ride as the pillion seat is a decent size.

dawnrazor
5th September 2005, 08:39
First big bike after a 250cc hey, nothing wrong with the CBR, just be prepared to soil yourself the first time you open it up on the open road. Have you considered a Yamaha Fazer 600, or Honda Hornet 600 or Suzuki Bandit 600 or SV650s, All great bikes not as focused as a sportsbike, so much more forgiving or your abilities or lack there of. Great bikes for two up , (your girlfriend ain't going to thank you if you go any considerable distance on the back of a GSXR or CBR, take it for me) and great for letting you develope the skill base you need for bigger bikes. Keep it for a year or so and then get a sportsbike if you want.
I'm still in awe of my Gixxer and i've been riding bikes for 10 years, but i'm glad i didn't get it 9 years ago or i certainly wouldn't be here now.

clint640
5th September 2005, 08:54
Its a bit like someone who has just got their pilots licence in a Cessna 152 at the local aero club asking if the next plane they fly should be an F16 or a Tornado.

The man's right, I wouldn't get too fixated on 600's, have a look at 400's as well, you're still looking at near 4x the power of yer 150, although many may be a bit small for ya.
I toured all over on my 'ol 87 VFR 400, it'd do 140+ up any hill with luggage on if I asked it to & unlike the later models it had an OK pillion seat. I also raced it in the central winter series a while back, got 4th overall in D grade :rofl: & had loads of fun.
But try as many as you can, see what feels good & has what you want. Don't forget that for a few dollars things like bars, pegs & seats can be all changed to suit your size & preferred riding position.

Cheers
Clint

boomer
5th September 2005, 09:43
If its any use I upgraded from a GPX250 to a '99 cbr600f4 about 4 months ago now..I asked around for comments and found that getting a 400 first wouldn't last me too long before i got bored and friends told me the cbr was a good all rounder.

Well, im still enjoying the bike, still learning and don't push her anywhere near what she can do on the twisites. All in all I'm glad I got the cbr, she gives me what i need now and i don't see me getting bored for another year or so.

:ride:

Smorg
5th September 2005, 10:33
Thanks for the info Zed I might just do that, I quite like the look of the cbrs and keep hearing they are reliable and quite easy to ride. Do you think I should be able to realistically find one for $4-5000?

I am sure I will enjoy test riding them!... then again I am just day dreaming I still have to book my CBTA full course! :dodge:

I bought my CBR for $5000 with 60k on the clock im almost up to 80 now and its still hasnt shown the slightest sign of a breakdown yet..........

Smorg
5th September 2005, 10:39

You wont find the high k's a problem unless it has not been serviced regularly

Stroker Girl
5th September 2005, 11:22
My boyfriend had a CBR600 F2 which was an awesome bike. He sold his for around $3500. It did have high kms (about 60K) but it was a sweet runner. He never had any problems with it. He did find it got a bit uncomfortable on longer touring especially the wrists.

I was thinking a keeping it for my upgrade (from a KR150) but I had only been riding about 6 months and it seemed a bit daunting and heavy at that stage. Ended up getting a 92 VFR400 which I absolutely love.

Good luck with your search.

jimdaworm
5th September 2005, 21:14
Thanks for all your views... now I just need to test drive a CBR... once I have my full.

Anyone want to swap a 1995 nissian Cefiro 2l v6 manual with 104k on it for a CBR 600 or similar :ride:

You can see the front of it here... oh yeah and my rg :sherlock: and me sort of on my rg
http://www.pureearth.co.nz/album2/index.html

crash harry
5th September 2005, 21:40
I agree with clint640 - don't get too fixated on 600s. I spent some time riding a FZR400 while I was still riding my 250 (which incedentally will be up for sale in about a month's time when I've passed my test...) They can friggin go for their size! The EXUP valve helps them pull from lower revs too which makes them feel like a bigger engine. And the thing with the FZR400 as opposed to a lot of the other 400s is that they are like a full size bike, not scaled down.

Having said all that, I didn't ride it THAT much, and I went from a 250 to a ZX9 (and I haven't actually passed my test yet...) so I can't really talk about restraint now can I? :whistle:

madboy
5th September 2005, 22:18
I had an 90 FZR400 too to learn on, nice bike, good condition, went fairly well for a 400. The step up to the 636 was like night and day. Not entirely sure how you're going to manage buying a fast bike and not speeding, that's something that's a little foreign to me. :chase: Each to their own though I guess...

If you want to be a poser and buy a sportsbike then ride it slowly, buy an SV or TL - they sound really cool. Can't beat a twin for noise. At least you'll be going slow enough for people to appreciate the noise too :devil2:

If the RG150 is all you're used to, I'd love to watch you when you crack open the throttle on a modern 600... one of two things will happen - brown trousers, or your attitude to speed will suddenly change.

Good luck with whatever you get, no doubt we'll meet on a ride sometime.

jimdaworm
6th September 2005, 07:32
Somthing else, someone told me that 400s were only imports there were no newzealand new ones and that I would get bored of it after a while... I dont want to have to keep changing my bike toooo often :spudflip:

So who has a CBR 600 I can borrow... for a test drive to open her up?? :devil2:

I guess I do want to be a poser but also I would like somthing thats nice to ride and that corners well.

I like cornering... I have been over the Rumatakas a few times now and I am sure I get more cautious each time... could this be?? Especially with all the stories I hear about people comming off up there :sherlock:

sels1
6th September 2005, 08:21
Hi,
The bikes you mentioned are all of the sports tourer category. Have you thought about any of the other styles?

I would recommend you have a look at a mid-sized dual purpose bike (650ccish)
For your first post-learner bike you should not make too big a jump.
I've had an F650 for about 5 years (100,000km's) and found it just about the easiest bike ever to ride, especially on NZ's bumpy roads.

Found it perfect for commuting (easy access over wellingtons footpaths)
Trips up the takas (The wide bars make the twisties a breeze)
Touring no worries (3* 1000milers, 1* southern cross and heaps of weeks / weekends camping)
Gravel roads (with a pair of TKC 80's there is a whole new world out there)
Off road (a bit heavy but will get you to the end of red rocks)

Performance it will leave most cars, and the top speed is fast enough to wave bye bye to your licence.
Handling, it will probably out handle you for a number of years.

I have one of these bikes and endorse everthing said above. There are more of these types of bikes coming on the market now and apparently they are becoming quite the fashion thing in Europe (see UK import thread). Suggest you test ride a couple before discounting them.

jimdaworm
6th September 2005, 22:05
I will add that to my list of bikes to ride :woohoo:

XP@
7th September 2005, 09:52
I have one of these bikes and endorse everthing said above. There are more of these types of bikes coming on the market now and apparently they are becoming quite the fashion thing in Europe (see UK import thread). Suggest you test ride a couple before discounting them.

Thanks for the endorsement!

I forgot to mention before how well they fall over. A silly cow knocked me and my son off yesterday on the way to school. She decided that she had room to pass on my left and whacked my bars outa my hand with her wing mirror / door pillar. We were only doing 1-2 kph. I picked up the bike a couple of scratches to the engine bars, that was it. Her car was minus a wing mirror, a dent in the door pillar and a scrape / dent down the door. So far, my total this year is Bike 4 busses 0 cars 0 :-)