PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Colemans Suzuki K Road

Gianz
30th April 2014, 16:57
Went for oil change and wof at colemans for first time, I usually diy. Got charged 223.72$. 20 bucks workshop miscellaneous, 5 bucks environmental charge, and the funniest part, oil at 25$ per litre. Funny because in their shop they sell the same motul 5100 at 17.25$ per litre. I told them next time I'll buy it in their shop and give it to the mechanic so I save 20 bucks.
Oh but they tighten right hand footpeg. Pity it is a circlip so nothing to tighten.
You are warned. But you knew it already...

bogan
30th April 2014, 17:00
Your SV took 8L of oil?

Madness
30th April 2014, 17:02
Seems reasonable to me, in fact they should have added a $20 whineylittlebitch surcharge but then I suppose they weren't to know, huh?

HenryDorsetCase
30th April 2014, 17:02
Your SV took 8L of oil?

2L in each tyre for balancing!

Gianz
30th April 2014, 17:12
Your SV took 8L of oil?

Why? 2.5 litres at 7$ per litre less its 20$ saved.

Then if you all are happy to be ass fucked, keep going.

Gianz
30th April 2014, 17:15
Seems reasonable to me, in fact they should have added a $20 whineylittlebitch surcharge but then I suppose they weren't to know, huh?
Do not worry they heard me whining very well.

bogan
30th April 2014, 17:18

Unless you left some other charges off the list it's the only way that adds up...

2L in each tyre for balancing!

Oh, and SV that can do skids then?

Crasherfromwayback
30th April 2014, 17:41
Maybe the service writer should've written 'tightened footpeg brkt'. All in all though...doesn't sound over the top to me. But then it wouldn't...

swarfie
30th April 2014, 17:51
Maybe the service writer should've written 'tightened footpeg brkt'. All in all though...doesn't sound over the top to me. But then it wouldn't...

Whaaaat....40 bucks for a wof...tops....leaves $183.72 for bolt to be tightened up and an oil change? Bloody glad I DIY. Sounds WELL over the top to me. :violin::facepalm::shit:

Crasherfromwayback
30th April 2014, 17:59
Whaaaat....40 bucks for a wof...tops....leaves $183.72 for bolt to be tightened up and an oil change? Bloody glad I DIY. Sounds WELL over the top to me. :violin::facepalm::shit:

Hey...the oil should be cheaper out the back as they no doubt buy it in bulk. And maybe there was a lil more time spent on the thing than what we've seen. But take the price of the oil out, the $20.00 sundries charge, the price of the oil filter (how much was that?) and I don't think it's all that bad. But hey...doing your own is def the way to go if you can for sure. Mad if you don't.

Gianz
30th April 2014, 18:13
I'm not complaining about the price of labour here. It's the oil being more expensive in the workshop then the parts dep. That is theft.

tippersv
30th April 2014, 18:16
I'm not complaining about the price of labour here. It's the oil being more expensive in the workshop then the parts dep. That is theft.

no, its business. Steak is cheaper in the supermarket than it is in a restaurant. If its no good, you can send it back, unlike if you burn it on your BBQ.

R650R
30th April 2014, 18:18
I always DIY my own oil changes. whats their hourly charge???
Sounds reasonable if they had to take fairings off etc to charge a minimum 1 hour plus the oil and filter.
Can we see the docket list +- gst etc???

I'd be more worried about that Motul crap inside my engine. Even though they sponsored Shwantze and others I recon its rubbish. ZXR engines don't like it and it set of the oil pressure warning on my 750 when it was still newish...

Madness
30th April 2014, 18:19

It's not about being happy to be arse fucked at all, it's about choices. You chose to take your bike to a big flash motorcycle shop that happens to be located in the heart of the most expensive city in the country where the overheads are higher as a direct result. The same thing applies to all manner of goods & services, for example do a comparison on the price of a ham sandwhich from Central Auckland and any provincial town or city, I'd suggest you'll be whining at a similar level. Next time try the Auckland City Mission, they do charity cases.

Gianz
30th April 2014, 18:19

[QUOTE=bogan;1130714293]Unless you left some other charges off the list it's the only way that adds up...

Labor

nzspokes
30th April 2014, 18:20
no, its business. Steak is cheaper in the supermarket than it is in a restaurant. If its no good, you can send it back, unlike if you burn it on your BBQ.

Yes but dont forget that cooking it thing that Chefs do. Do you often eat your steak at the supermarket?

tippersv
30th April 2014, 18:22
Yes but dont forget that cooking it thing that Chefs do.

and servicing bikes is what mechanics at bike shops do.... your point??

nodrog
30th April 2014, 18:57
Went for oil change and wof at colemans for first time, I usually diy. Got charged 223.72$. 20 bucks workshop miscellaneous, 5 bucks environmental charge, and the funniest part, oil at 25$ per litre. Funny because in their shop they sell the same motul 5100 at 17.25$ per litre. I told them next time I'll buy it in their shop and give it to the mechanic so I save 20 bucks.
Oh but they tighten right hand footpeg. Pity it is a circlip so nothing to tighten.

Its called Corkage!

Katman
30th April 2014, 19:13
Do not worry they heard me whining very well.

There's good honest one-man-bands out there.

You just have to find them.

nodrog
30th April 2014, 19:24

found one

http://www.fastestonemanband.com/images/fastest_one_man_band.jpg

AllanB
30th April 2014, 19:31
Did you ask them for a estimate first?

Scan and post the invoice - the rest is irrelevant without viewing it, for all we knew you asked them to polish it for you.

Waihou Thumper
30th April 2014, 19:41

I cannot believe you are whinging about the price!
Do it yourself? You say I usually...
So Why didn't you, huh?
You got no reason to complain......
Supply and demand, you obviously wanted it done....Quit whining!

Madness
30th April 2014, 19:42

You mean George eh? Geez you're a good cunt sometimes.

Gianz
30th April 2014, 19:54

Bullshit. Dumb.

FJRider
30th April 2014, 20:11

The next motorcycle shop you want to get work done at ... itemize the particular jobs you want done. Then .. get them to put at the bottom of the list "Nothing else" ...

Don't forget to tell them how unhappy you were with the prices you were charged at Colemans. If you ask for the same work done ... you can compare prices charged.

Let us know how you get on.

Madness
30th April 2014, 20:25
It's alright guys, the O.P is French.

BuzzardNZ
30th April 2014, 20:29
Its called Corkage!

Very good :killingme

ducatilover
30th April 2014, 20:31
I don't think they should charge more for the oil in the workshop.
I think many workshops do overcharge, but they have to stay above water

unstuck
30th April 2014, 20:51
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0D1iwTyCNAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:baby::baby:

Gianz
30th April 2014, 20:56
It's alright guys, the O.P is French.

daffaq u talking about, little racist motherf#%*^? And even if I was? tard

Madness
30th April 2014, 20:59
Jebus, you French cunts are sensitive!

unstuck
30th April 2014, 21:02
Jebus, you French cunts are sensitive!

Unless they are blowing up ships.:whistle:

jim.cox
30th April 2014, 21:12
Unless they are blowing up ships.:whistle:

Or Pacific Atolls

bogan
30th April 2014, 21:20
daffaq u talking about, little racist motherf#%*^? And even if I was? tard

Is french a race? I though they waved around a bit on the final lap :innocent:

Madness
30th April 2014, 21:26
Is french a race?

More of an affliction I'd have thought.

Tazz
30th April 2014, 21:34
Last time I got lazy paid for an oil change it was about $180, with 2 filters, in a car that takes 10 litres :laugh:

In saying that, we have the same problem with little jobs. You're still paying a qualified mechanic (hopefully!) to work on your bike and as such they command a qualified mechanics rate. You're taking them away from other difficult work (in theory) so why should they devalue themselves by charging less for their time according to difficulty? They are still using their time and they still have to be paid a wage.

nzspokes
30th April 2014, 21:36
It should be part of the Motorcycle license test, if you cant change your own oil in 10 mins you fail the test.

ducatilover
30th April 2014, 22:03
Last time I got lazy paid for an oil change it was about $180, with 2 filters, in a car that takes 10 litres :laugh:

In saying that, we have the same problem with little jobs. You're still paying a qualified mechanic (hopefully!) to work on your bike and as such they command a qualified mechanics rate. You're taking them away from other difficult work (in theory) so why should they devalue themselves by charging less for their time according to difficulty? They are still using their time and they still have to be paid a wage.

So... $60-80/hr... it takes much less than an hour to do a filter and oil, unless you're a fucking retard. Why the high price?

Tazz
30th April 2014, 22:16
So... $60-80/hr... it takes much less than an hour to do a filter and oil, unless you're a fucking retard. Why the high price?

WOF as well. Need to see the sheet and hope they were descriptive to know anything else. My guess would be they had to 'adjust' some stuff for the WOF and charged for it, or gave the whole bike a good going over (service). Or they just accidently stayed clocked into the job number when they went for lunch :laugh:

Crasherfromwayback
30th April 2014, 22:44

We're $120.00 odd an hour as are most shops in Welly. Doesn't take too long for things to get expensive.

ducatilover
30th April 2014, 23:03
WOF as well. Need to see the sheet and hope they were descriptive to know anything else. My guess would be they had to 'adjust' some stuff for the WOF and charged for it, or gave the whole bike a good going over (service). Or they just accidently stayed clocked into the job number when they went for lunch :laugh: Yeah because a WoF costs so much :bleh: would be interesting to see how it adds up

We're $120.00 odd an hour as are most shops in Welly. Doesn't take too long for things to get expensive.

Fucking Wellingtonians :nono: shit coffee too. We make brilliant coffee in our workshop. Well, I don't. I fail at real coffee machines. :rolleyes:

Crasherfromwayback
30th April 2014, 23:10
Fucking Wellingtonians :nono: shit coffee too. We make brilliant coffee in our workshop. Well, I don't. I fail at real coffee machines. :rolleyes:

Lol. I think we're gonna have to put a stop to this whole *Pete's coffee is poos* saga. It's costing me business...and it's slander I tell ya! It's fucking shit hot, and if I drank coffee I'd be addicted to my brew. Don't listen to the fairy tales...come get some. Brewed fresh. Once a year.

Woodman
30th April 2014, 23:26
And if the mechanic rushed through the job and missed something, the op would have started a moaning thread about that.

hayd3n
30th April 2014, 23:44
wtf $120 a hr???? WTF???

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 00:33
wtf $120 a hr???? WTF???

Nothing wtf about it mate. Go to any big city dealership...with the overheads they have...and check their hourly rate. Car dealer ships are far more expensive. Trust me.

Big Dog
1st May 2014, 02:04

To be fair a good car mechanic costs less than a good bike mechanic.
2 reasons I can think of.
Jolly sight more cars.
Motorcyclists tend to be a bit more donut yourself including a culture of bullying people who don't and then crying because nothing for sale second hand has a service history.

Oil also costs about 2x as much for a bike because it is of a higher spec.

The last time I did an oil change on a petrol car (fairmont) it cost me $45 for an oil at 5l, and filter and the list of models it fit was pages long and covered 30 years.

Last oil change on a petrol bike (CB1300) had I paid retail was 70 for the oil at 4l and 45 for the filter. Rags only some old clothes. Found I needed to do coolant while I was there.... Another $60

Last oil change for a petrol car at a mechanics. $45 can have a warrant for another 30 ($15 off their normal price.)
Last oil change for the Hayabusa at a mechanics? $200, or I could have a full B service for $225 or C for $195. They topped up the coolant adjusted my chain checked the filters and plugs and adjusted something to make it run smoother in the midrange.

Granted until about 7 years ago that also included detailing of my bikes... but not as bad a value as it sounds at first.

I used to get it done at a shop religiously for two reasons.
I had no tools or appropriate space.
I had no time.

I still have no time, but I no longer have the same disposable income so I do it myself.
So far more than what I have saved has gone on tools but sooner or later I'll get back in the black. I have done the DR myself for years, but the bigger bikes need better tools.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

unstuck
1st May 2014, 06:06
Lol. I think we're gonna have to put a stop to this whole *Pete's coffee is poos* saga. It's costing me business...and it's slander I tell ya! It's fucking shit hot, and if I drank coffee I'd be addicted to my brew. Don't listen to the fairy tales...come get some. Brewed fresh. Once a year.

Got a package from American Bobbers in Nelson last week and it had a Wellington Motorcycles sticker on it, Im sure it stank of coffee.:yes:

awa355
1st May 2014, 07:28
Even the small town dealerships are $120 per hour. The servicing requirements of my next bike will be a factor in which bike I buy. Will be retired with buggarall income, so I can cross the big complex models off my wishlist.

BuzzardNZ
1st May 2014, 07:35
wtf $120 a hr???? WTF???

I doubt Doctors or Lawyers get paid that much :oi-grr:

Robbo
1st May 2014, 07:56
Around $220+ sounds ok to me, it's what i would expect to pay for a WOF and Service at a bike shop.

tippersv
1st May 2014, 08:02

haha when was the last time you engaged a good lawyer??

ducatilover
1st May 2014, 08:26
I'll try if I get time before my ferry next week. Got to get seasick somehow

unstuck
1st May 2014, 08:32
I'll try if I get time before my ferry next week. Got to get seasick somehow

Hang around in the toilets on the ferry for awhile, some of those crew members who are batting for the other team will make you sick.:devil2:

TheDemonLord
1st May 2014, 09:26
I like Colemans Suzuki

They let me take a brand new GSX650 FU for a test ride (because they didn't have a demo bike).

When I get my funds in order, I intend to buy the above bike through them

EJK
1st May 2014, 09:51
Nothing wtf about it mate. Go to any big city dealership...with the overheads they have...and check their hourly rate. Car dealer ships are far more expensive. Trust me.

But then, if they promise to deliver quality of workmanship from the price they ask for, I'd happily pay the premium.

imdying
1st May 2014, 10:21
I have no problem with the $120 an hour, charge plenty more than that myself. Every smart workshop fills vehicles from a bulk supply, so they're actually charging you quite a lot extra for the oil than you think! That sort of raping of a captive market is why I'm happy to buy all my bits overseas... the industry deserves it.

jellywrestler
1st May 2014, 10:44

poppycock, it's a raw product and is supplied in a large barrell, unlike the stuff on the shelf in the shop part, the very least they could do is charge the same price.

tippersv
1st May 2014, 10:50
poppycock, it's a raw product and is supplied in a large barrell, unlike the stuff on the shelf in the shop part, the very least they could do is charge the same price.
they are a business, who pay rent and wages, stock spares,and who are expected to warranty their work to you the client; that is why a margin is required.

No margins = no business.
Get someone else to do your laundry - they will charge more than the cost of the water and powder.
Maybe try whining that beer in Auckland bars is more expen$ive than at the wholesalers!

Do it yourself, save a few $, and carry your own risk.

ducatilover
1st May 2014, 10:59
Hang around in the toilets on the ferry for awhile, some of those crew members who are batting for the other team will make you sick.:devil2:

Bloody tappashittalk didn't quote Crasher. Must be a sign to stay the fuck away?

Gay boat people? Meh, I'll try anything on a boat, I have a Honda again.

ducatilover
1st May 2014, 11:04
they are a business, who pay rent and wages, stock spares,and who are expected to warranty their work to you the client; that is why a margin is required.

Get someone else to do your laundry - they will charge more than the cost of the water and powder.
Maybe try whining that beer in Auckland bars is more expen$ive than at the wholesalers!

No kidding, but... the markup on the oil in the workshop is a wee bit silly. If you supply them with the same oil, will they chaarge extra for that? The cost per litre when buying bulk is far less than when buuing a bottle of 5100 (well, seems to be with our oil people for the work I do). So even selli.g at shelf price would be a decent mark up.
It's rude.

nodrog
1st May 2014, 11:07

Dont you understand the situation? Nobody is complaning about margins or hourly rate or making a profit. The complaint is about why the product margin on the workshop goods is higher than the resale goods.

So its costs more to just have them tip the oil in your hands to take home, instead of getting it in a nice plastic container?

Makes sense.

HenryDorsetCase
1st May 2014, 12:25
Bullshit. Dumb.

wait, whut? What part of that was incorrect?

Gianz
1st May 2014, 12:37
Dont you understand the situation? Nobody is complaning about margins or hourly rate or making a profit. The complaint is about why the product margin on the workshop goods is higher than the resale goods.

So its costs more to just have them tip the oil in your hands to take home, instead of getting it in a nice plastic container?

Makes sense.

I can't believe it! Somebody on this forum can read! Thanks mate, that is exactly the point.

I don't have any problems in them charging me 100$ per hour labor, but all these silly tactics of ripping you off a dollar at a time are disgusting. I had to do a Wof so I said ok this time i'll let them do oil and filter as well (specified oil and filter only!). When i get some time i scan the invoice so people can see what i talk about

Tigadee
1st May 2014, 13:33
:eek5:Well, now I know how much I'm saving each time I do my own oil/filter change!

Thanks, Gianz! :2thumbsup

Big Dog
1st May 2014, 14:44

Lawyers and doctors hide their fees a little. Usually of the order $120 per 15 mins. If they need to send a letter as a result that's another $20 bucks. A phone call? Another $20.

Costs a lot, not as much as not using them of you get it wrong.

Same as a mechanic.
You'll never save money servicing your own bike if you are not competent for the task at hand.

Ask anyone who has broken a fairing trying to do an oil change.

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 14:46
Ask anyone who has broken a fairing trying to do an oil change.

Or stripped a sumps thread.

Big Dog
1st May 2014, 14:51
I can't believe it! Somebody on this forum can read! Thanks mate, that is exactly the point.

I don't have any problems in them charging me 100$ per hour labor, but all these silly tactics of ripping you off a dollar at a time are disgusting. I had to do a Wof so I said ok this time i'll let them do oil and filter as well (specified oil and filter only!). When i get some time i scan the invoice so people can see what i talk about

A lot of businesses do this these days. Some tack more on postage so they can sell you their goods for less. Works out same price for first item, cheaper for subsequent purchases on same order. But it gets you looking.

$100 bucks an hour only would certainly peak my interest. Enough so I might not notice $20 for a rag and $7 a litre extra for the oil.

Again this is why I prefer the menu of fixed prices at Red Baron. You know what you are paying before you hand over the keys.
Unless you get a phone call about xyz needs replacing. :(

Big Dog
1st May 2014, 14:53
Or stripped a sumps thread.
At least in the past when a bike shop broke something I had a loaner until they got a replacement part at their cost.

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 15:04
At least in the past when a bike shop broke something I had a loaner until they got a replacement part at their cost.

Lol. I was actually referring to the gen public fucking things on their bikes doing DIY jobs without know wtf they're actually doing. But bike shops aren't immune from fucking things either.

imdying
1st May 2014, 16:01
You mean the phone call, "Your sump plug is stripped, must have been done at a previous oil chance, do you want us to fix it, be another 2 hours labour". As for the fairing breakage, you wouldn't even get a call, they'll just hope you don't notice. At least if you fuck it yourself, you know what really happened... you'll have to pay either way.

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 16:05
You mean the phone call, "Your sump plug is stripped, must have been done at a previous oil chance, do you want us to fix it, be another 2 hours labour". As for the fairing breakage, you wouldn't even get a call, they'll just hope you don't notice. At least if you fuck it yourself, you know what really happened... you'll have to pay either way.

I can honestly tell you, hand on heart, than none of the five shops I've been in over the last 28 years would do that, or ever have done that. Can't speak for 'em all obviously. But I've certainly seen my fair share of...this mirror you sold me has a crack in in. (hwen you can plainly and clearly see where the big oaf has tried to adjust it and cracked it etc etc. Then there's the old...you guys have chipped my fuel tank and I want a new one free of charge trick! Seen that here several times. Which is odd, seeing as all the bikes we work on here get to wear a tank bra so this doesn't happen.

jellywrestler
1st May 2014, 16:10

i'm well aware of that, they charged more for the oil out the back in the workshop than they would've if he'd brought it in small packs out the front. This is for the product. they also charged labour for doing it on top whereas your bars don't diffentiate.
he would've been better off to buy the oil at the counter and take it through same shop and all that's the bit that doesn't sit well with me.

jellywrestler
1st May 2014, 16:14
But I've certainly seen my fair share of...this mirror you sold me has a crack in in.

that's cause you've got a face that would turn a funeral procession up a side street Pete...

tippersv
1st May 2014, 16:15
he would've been better off to buy the oil at the counter and take it through same shop and all that's the bit that doesn't sit well with me.

try buying a box of beer at the BottleShop and then carrying it round to the bar at the front, and asking the barman to open it for you, so you can save a few $$!?! :doh:

That's why I drink at home.

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 16:28

Totally agree with the oil gig. That bit's not cool.

that's cause you've got a face that would turn a funeral procession up a side street Pete...

That's bloody delightful that is! Ask Boyley about cunts trying to return a broken mirror. Funniest thing I've ever seen in all my years in the industry.

tippersv
1st May 2014, 16:28
Lol. I was actually referring to the gen public fucking things on their bikes doing DIY jobs without know wtf they're actually doing.

I agree, we tend to want to rely on the bike shops, even when its our own dumb fault.

Last year, I was getting the bike ready for a 1600k weekend, but when I had finished my DIY, the bike ran like shit. I spent a whole night trying everything to find it, and annoying the shit out of my neighbours with the Yoshis spitting fuel. Rang the team, and said "leave without me".

Colemans charged me just an hours labour to find that I had stretched and perforated a vacuum hose while removing the tank -the crack was not visible, all this on a Friday afternoon (with no notice) , while my gear for the weekends trip sat on the bike! Found and replaced the hose; bike ran better than ever, and I caught my mates by Raglan!

Now that's service, and I would have paid through the nose, based on my situation. Thanks Colemans.

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 16:37
I agree, we tend to want to rely on the bike shops, even when its our own dumb fault.

Last year, I was getting the bike ready for a 1600k weekend, but when I had finished my DIY, the bike ran like shit. I spent a whole night trying everything to find it, and annoying the shit out of my neighbours with the Yoshis spitting fuel. Rang the team, and said "leave without me".

Colemans charged me just an hours labour to find that I had stretched and perforated a vacuum hose while removing the tank -the crack was not visible, all this on a Friday afternoon (with no notice) , while my gear for the weekends trip sat on the bike! Found and replaced the hose; bike ran better than ever, and I caught my mates by Raglan!

Now that's service, and I would have paid through the nose, based on my situation. Thanks Colemans.

That's def good service right there. We always try and help peeps where and when you poss can. It's sometime simply not possible.

Big Dog
1st May 2014, 16:48

In the past a bike shop broke the locator tabs on a fairing. Replaced the part at their expense.
Different bike shop replaced a broken bits several times. Mirror when a clumsy mechanic stood on one. And a few important bolts at different times. Stator cover bolts etc.
They charged me when I brought a bike in with stripped rotor bolts which was fair enough.

This is why you have to have a reputable mechanic. Not necessarily a dealer.

Second dealer different mechanic tried to hide a missing sump plug washer by cross threading sump plug. Maybe it is acts like that are why he is no longer employed there?

Also a bit harder to blame an earlier oil change if you always use same mech.
Since my preferred mech has moved on I have been doing all my own work.

Kickaha
1st May 2014, 19:43
I can't believe it! Somebody on this forum can read!

Fuck off he can, Stirts would have had to read that out to him

Maha
1st May 2014, 21:00
Fuck off he can, Stirts would have had to read that out to him

And slowly, any word over two syllables makes his head hurt.

Katman
1st May 2014, 21:13
And slowly, anything word over two syllables makes his head hurt.

Do you ever proof read your posts?

Madness
1st May 2014, 21:14

Funny, I read the OP as a general whinge about the overall bill.

The discrepancy in the two oil prices could well be an oversight, sure the OP mentions that he raised it with the service dept. but by that stage I'd say they had already written him off as a whining frog & thought "fuck him".

AllanB
1st May 2014, 22:26
I had the 'your axle nut was stripped' bullshit.

Did not pay as:

1. I specified exactly what was to be done and crossed out the 'adjust chain' on the job sheet when I booked it in (see below as to why).

2. I had washed, oiled and adjusted the fucking chain the night before and used a torque wrench set under the factory specified torque to tighten the bloody nut.

And the chain oil they applied had been sprayed all over the friggen tyre!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr they went out of business a couple years back.

FJRider
1st May 2014, 22:40
It's sometime simply not possible.

But expected ... none the less ... :laugh:

Is it really true you guys (and girls) have a life outside "Shop" hours ... or just an unsubstantiated rumour .. ?? :innocent:

Crasherfromwayback
1st May 2014, 22:45
Is it really true you guys (and girls) have a life outside "Shop" hours ... or just an unsubstantiated rumour .. ?? :innocent:

Not true at all mate. Mind you, no matter what job I had, I'd have no life. Can't afford one!

Maha
2nd May 2014, 06:39
Do you ever proof read your posts?

No need to, I have unpaid staff (as in yourself) to attend to that remedial chore for me.

Gianz
2nd May 2014, 08:03
try buying a box of beer at the BottleShop and then carrying it round to the bar at the front, and asking the barman to open it for you, so you can save a few $$!?! :doh:

That's why I drink at home.

I understand you are a bit thick, but you might realize that at the bar they don't ask you to pay for labour, do you? Or that they don't ask you to pay for environmental charges or for the fucking cleaning rag?

Gianz
2nd May 2014, 08:10
here's the invoice. Please note I specified to only do oil and filter.

awa355
2nd May 2014, 08:21
here's the invoice. Please note I specified to only do oil and filter.

I can sympathise with you, but the invoice states ' full bike check over and issue wof.' The full bike check over leaves a big grey area. Did you stipulate do any neccessary repairs?

Gianz
2nd May 2014, 08:30
nope, I specified only oil and filter plus wof. In the wof there is already a bike checkover isn'it? And if they find something wrong they have to fail it, not fix it without my consent.

jonbuoy
2nd May 2014, 08:48
Your right they should have just failed you on the steering head bearings and made it into a seperate job instead of doing you a favour and adjusting them. Your actually bitching about 45 minutes labour?

BuzzardNZ
2nd May 2014, 08:50
nope, I specified only oil and filter plus wof. In the wof there is already a bike checkover isn'it? And if they find something wrong they have to fail it, not fix it without my consent.

Presumably you signed the work sheet before work began right? Did you read what it said before you signed it?

Gianz
2nd May 2014, 08:50
Your right they should have just failed you on the steering head bearings and made it into a seperate job instead of doing you a favour and adjusting them. Your actually bitching about 45 minutes labour?

where did I bitch about 45mins labour?

jonbuoy
2nd May 2014, 08:52
where did I bitch about 45mins labour?

What are you bitching about then? Most places are charging $23/litre for 5100 retail.

Gianz
2nd May 2014, 08:59
Then it's good advertisement for colemans. I know I won't go back for sure, every body else can make a more informed decision now.

jonbuoy
2nd May 2014, 09:03
Then it's good advertisement for colemans. I know I won't go back for sure, every body else can make a more informed decision now.

You sure you can afford to run a bike if you think $200 for getting someone else to do a WOF an oil and filter change is expensive. Seriously - running a company down on the internet over a few bucks price difference??

tippersv
2nd May 2014, 09:58
I understand you are a bit thick, but you might realize that at the bar they don't ask you to pay for labour, do you? Or that they don't ask you to pay for environmental charges or for the fucking cleaning rag?

Thanks for starting the insults, but the analogy is the point, you dick-wad:baby:, not the specifics. Businesses are entitled to charge, and you are entitle to make a decision on which, if any, business, to use. Read the menu before you order, is the lesson you need to learn.

Try taking your own steak to a central Auckland restaurant , ask them to cook it for you because theirs is a bit 'pricey', and see how you get on??

Swoop
2nd May 2014, 10:39
What are you bitching about then? Most places are charging $23/litre for 5100 retail.
Hmm. Cheaper than spirits.
I may have to start drinking oil.

AllanB
2nd May 2014, 10:55
I'm thinking this is a non event - the charge rate appears very reasonable for the work done plus the parts costs are standard. Environmental charging has been around for years as it pertains to disposing of that oil your left them with. Miscellaneous workshop charge will cover things like shop rags, de-greaser etc.

I wonder what people would think it the workshops handed over the keys after a service and passed you a ziplock bag full of the old oil - 'there you go mate, I saved your our environmental charge .....'

unstuck
2nd May 2014, 11:04
On average I dispose of between 20-30ltrs of oil a week, and someone has to pay the bill. I have put waste oil back in a bottle and given it back to a dickwad who complained about the extra $5. I only charge $20 cash an hour though for labour.:rolleyes:

Ulsterkiwi
2nd May 2014, 14:34

must get the number for yours, last one I had to use charged $280 per hour and she didnt even smile at me once.....

I think all this thread has taught me is if I look hard enough someone somewhere will be willing to tell me of a bad experience with every single business in existence.
Pricing is admitedly a minefield, the guy I use will tell me how much it costs to do work on the bike. Other places will tell you how much it costs to supply the stuff you need and then there is "plus labour" Surely if you are old enough to own a bike you can be expected for taking a bit of responsibility for finding out what you are getting into?

Out of curiosity, what do folks in KB land normally mean when they use the phrase "check the bike over..."?

Laava
2nd May 2014, 14:47
Out of curiosity, what do folks in KB land normally mean when they use the phrase "check the bike over..."?

Redline it in every gear, heat the rear tyre to check it hasn,t gone off, look under the seat for miscellaneous goodies.

Big Dog
2nd May 2014, 14:47

Loaded question.

Looking to buy? About an hour and a half of checking everything including compression fluid consistency etc.

Cheap commuter at an oil change?
Let me know if anything is fucked or dangerous so I can decide what to do about it.

Pride and joy?
Just tell me how much and do all the things... Within a specified budget.

I do mean I will pay you a reasonable cost for your years of experience and training.
I do mean I will pay you to make any adjustments within reason.
I do not mean bend me over and tickle my brain.

Ulsterkiwi
2nd May 2014, 15:21
Loaded question.

this was kind of my point. You have answered it well though and demonstrated we need to be pretty clear what we are asking people to do. Moaning afterwards about someones inability to read our minds isn't that helpful.

AllanB
2nd May 2014, 16:36
I dropped the wifes car in the garage today - a mystery noise at idle over the past week or so. Of course when I drop it off it is not making the noise .... they have had it for the day - started it up, ran it around the block, popped it on the hoist, nothing. Bloody typical.

He did not charge at all, (we get WOF's tyres etc from there and he does the shit stuff like cam-belts) - told me to bring it back if it makes the noise again.

Robbo
2nd May 2014, 16:48
I dropped the wifes car in the garage today - a mystery noise at idle over the past week or so. Of course when I drop it off it is not making the noise .... they have had it for the day - started it up, ran it around the block, popped it on the hoist, nothing. Bloody typical.

He did not charge at all, (we get WOF's tyres etc from there and he does the shit stuff like cam-belts) - told me to bring it back if it makes the noise again.

Yep, that's "Murphy's Law" Allan. I often come across this scenario in my industry and it can be very frustrating. Worse still if your mechanic had pulled a lot of things apart and then put them back together again only to find that the noise was still there.

BoristheBiter
2nd May 2014, 17:58

Colemans have always been a bit pricey but i have always gotten very good service from them.

That being said i do think you are being a bit precious over it.

If it had been $500 then you might have grounds to have a little cry on a forum but not this, just do your own from now, it will save the tears, and the abuse when you have a cry.

jellywrestler
2nd May 2014, 18:48
If it had been $500 then you might have grounds to have a little cry on a forum but not this, just do your own from now, it will save the tears, and the abuse when you have a cry.
if i had $500 for every time i've had sex with a women i'd have enough to pay them all...

Big Dog
2nd May 2014, 18:57
Actually the best have a looks I have been the recipient of:
Geoff at Red Baron (or he was, not sure where he has moved on to) spent about 8 hours disassembling my DR and tracing electrical faults. Did not charge me for the inspection / diagnosis only the repair when the parts arrived.
Geoff at Red Baron told me I would have to leave it with him because he could not immediately see what was wrong with the GSX1100F... 2 or 3 days later tells me its all fixed and the labour is about an hour. Hairline tear in the carb diaphragm. Workshop manager was not happy...
Neil at K-Force Kawasaki (New Plymouth Circa 1995) spent hours if not days tracking down second hand parts and one off constructions to save my Ninja before telling me his team could rebuild it for about what the insurance payout was if I wanted to buy the wreck off the insurer. He would only charge for about 75% of the labour because he knew I could not afford more.
Mike at Red Baron. Pulled a couple of tyres off the rims and put them back on looking for a clicking noise that turned out to be a stone inside the read rim. No charge.

It is easy to remember the times a shop pisses us off, and sometimes given time to think about it, we were wrong. Other times we were right.
Either way it is important to remember the mechanics that were good to us rather than only reporting the ones who piss us off.

ducatilover
2nd May 2014, 19:09
The issue is still the markup of the oil from the workshop.
I don't think I would complain with tightening the foot peg, because they didn't charge.
The hourly rate looks pretty decent. WoF was cheap.
But the price on the oil is more than what they sell over the.counter, how is this hard for people to read? This place is impressively retarded. Keyboard hoons the lot of you.

Big Dog
2nd May 2014, 21:21
I don't think I would complain with tightening the foot peg, because they didn't charge.
But the price on the oil is more than what they sell over the.counter, how is this hard for people to read? This place is impressively retarded. Keyboard hoons the lot of you.

I get that the main gripe is oil. Beyond stating this is a common tactic by mechanics so they can appear to charge less for labour there is not a lot I can say. The only other thing that comes to mind is check the menu before you order.

Edit: total cost is a bigger deal than the individual cos of the components.

jonbuoy
2nd May 2014, 22:07

Motomail are charging more or less the same price for oil - maybe the stuff out front is on special. Who the fuck feels the need to slag off a company on the internet over a few bucks on a litre of oil?

Gianz
3rd May 2014, 00:22

love ya bro.

Gianz
3rd May 2014, 00:30
Motomail are charging more or less the same price for oil - maybe the stuff out front is on special. Who the fuck feels the need to slag off a company on the internet over a few bucks on a litre of oil?

The stuff was not on special they checked. They were actually surprised of the incongruence because nobody else before pointed that out to them. They say the big boss (alistair or something) makes the price, fair enough, that's why he wasn't there but on his boat eating oysters. I told them: either you charge me for the oil what you sell it in the shop or I let people know how you run your business. Poor guy behind counter couldn't do anything, so here I am, anybody can make its conclusions.

I would have actually gone to Red Baron cause last time they tighten my chain on the run for free but they don't do wofs.

Dangsta
3rd May 2014, 07:13

A good lawyer can be around $400 an hour. Typically they're around $250 an hour. If a senior doctor contracts themselves out they'll be around the $400 mark if you're lucky.

Dangsta
3rd May 2014, 07:18

Totally agree. Slagging off good operators may be how they do things in France but not in NZ. We do the oil changes ourselves.

nzspokes
3rd May 2014, 07:50
The stuff was not on special they checked. They were actually surprised of the incongruence because nobody else before pointed that out to them. They say the big boss (alistair or something) makes the price, fair enough, that's why he wasn't there but on his boat eating oysters. I told them: either you charge me for the oil what you sell it in the shop or I let people know how you run your business. Poor guy behind counter couldn't do anything, so here I am, anybody can make its conclusions.

I would have actually gone to Red Baron cause last time they tighten my chain on the run for free but they don't do wofs.

Well dont worry, its not something you will have to bother about again. With showing your invoice you have told them who you are and every bike shop in Auckland will know who you are so you will get reamed everywhere you go. Good luck with that.

awa355
3rd May 2014, 07:53

FFS Dont go to VTNZ for your wof. Those bastards have been known to adjust the brakes without telling the owner:oi-grr:, and doing it for free. :confused:

mikeey01
3rd May 2014, 08:11
Gianz

"Consumer Guarantees Act" I'm not a legal eagle but...
Your point on the over priced oil (same product) is valid, I would say the consumer has some sort of protection / cover in this instance.
It might pay to investigate this further, the process does not involve to many hoops to jump through but may we worth it in this instance.

Have they given you a valid reason why it is over priced in the service dept v's the parts?
Their response will be interesting if not entertaining for us all, give them the opportunity to put it right firstly.

AllanB
3rd May 2014, 08:55
It's not the same oil. The stuff in the workshop comes in a huge drum and they have to get a forklift to take it to the workshop. This is more expensive that some dolly carrying a four litre pack to a shelf. :bleh::bleh::bleh:

tippersv
3rd May 2014, 10:30
They say the big boss (alistair or something) makes the price, fair enough, that's why he wasn't there but on his boat eating oysters.

whine.....chip on my shoulder............whine

keep digging buddy, you're almost at China

tippersv
3rd May 2014, 10:34
Surely if you are old enough to own a bike you can be expected for taking a bit of responsibility for finding out what you are getting into?

Ulsterkiwi, there is sometimes a difference between the age of one's teeth and one's reading age; the problem with the OP, is we have quite a discrepancy between the two :rolleyes:

jonbuoy
3rd May 2014, 10:38
Gianz

Your point on the over priced oil (same product) is valid, I would say the consumer has some sort of protection / cover in this instance.
It might pay to investigate this further, the process does not involve to many hoops to jump through but may we worth it in this instance.

Have they given you a valid reason why it is over priced in the service dept v's the parts?
Their response will be interesting if not entertaining for us all, give them the opportunity to put it right firstly.

Going by the price of 5100 elsewhere its more likely the stuff in the shop is underpriced. But yeah take it international over $20 of oil.

nodrog
3rd May 2014, 10:47
Funny, I read the OP as a general whinge about the overall bill.

The discrepancy in the two oil prices could well be an oversight, sure the OP mentions that he raised it with the service dept. but by that stage I'd say they had already written him off as a whining frog & thought "fuck him".

don't get me wrong I still think the OP is a tool, I'm just pointing out the storyline.

MarkH
3rd May 2014, 11:20
The price on the invoice doesn't really look out of line to me, but I choose to do my own oil changes and not pay for such a simple job.
Sure the oil price is a little funky, but it only works out a few dollars on the stupid side - nothing to get overly excited about.

There are plenty of cuntier (I may have just made up that word, you got a problem with that?) jobs that I'll give a workshop money for, I'm not even willing to fuck around changing a tyre on a motorcycle.

There are plenty of rip-offs to bitch about, but I usually just do what I can to avoid them.
I won't be buying another OEM oil filter, why pay $25 for OEM when I can get a better filter going after-market and pay US$6.09 for it?
But rather than bitch about what the local Honda dealer charges for an oil filter I'll just purchase some overseas and let those that want to pay more for a worse product do so.
Paying a lot of money for a simple job you could do yourself? Just do it yourself then!

Crasherfromwayback
3rd May 2014, 13:02
Gianz

Think you'll find they can charge whatever they like for the oil out the back. Not saying it's right or good practice but...

nzspokes
3rd May 2014, 13:09
all the bikes we work on here get to wear a tank bra so this doesn't happen.

Can you get a universal one? I help the odd mate out working on there bikes and I use old towels but something made for it would be cool.

Robert Taylor
3rd May 2014, 13:32
Actually the best have a looks I have been the recipient of:
Geoff at Red Baron (or he was, not sure where he has moved on to) spent about 8 hours disassembling my DR and tracing electrical faults. Did not charge me for the inspection / diagnosis only the repair when the parts arrived.
Geoff at Red Baron told me I would have to leave it with him because he could not immediately see what was wrong with the GSX1100F... 2 or 3 days later tells me its all fixed and the labour is about an hour. Hairline tear in the carb diaphragm. Workshop manager was not happy...
Neil at K-Force Kawasaki (New Plymouth Circa 1995) spent hours if not days tracking down second hand parts and one off constructions to save my Ninja before telling me his team could rebuild it for about what the insurance payout was if I wanted to buy the wreck off the insurer. He would only charge for about 75% of the labour because he knew I could not afford more.
Mike at Red Baron. Pulled a couple of tyres off the rims and put them back on looking for a clicking noise that turned out to be a stone inside the read rim. No charge.

It is easy to remember the times a shop pisses us off, and sometimes given time to think about it, we were wrong. Other times we were right.
Either way it is important to remember the mechanics that were good to us rather than only reporting the ones who piss us off.

K-Force went out of business and undercharging would have been a major contributory factor.

Brett
3rd May 2014, 13:34
I think that it is a bit on the nose to charge more for oil purchased in bulk and supplied as part of a service than what the consumer can buy in smaller "consumer" packaged quantities. That is just really dumb business IMO. Great way to piss off your customers and not add value...but then that is just me. In general, a bike shop can charge what they like and make up their tariffs how they see fit...but they mustn't be surprised when consumers take their business elsewhere if they are perceived to be not providing value. Charging more for oil provided as part of a service than what retail price is doesn't sound like value to me at all. As a consumer you are free to take your business anywhere you like. If I owned Coleman's or any other bike shop or service shop for that matter, I would be taking issues like this pretty seriously.

But then yeah, I do my own servicing anyway. The times that I have used Colemans in the past, their service has been pretty decent.

Big Dog
3rd May 2014, 14:43
K-Force went out of business and undercharging would have been a major contributory factor.

Yes, sadly Neil cared more for his customers than his business.

Then for reasons I can only put down to people are bastards, quite a few long term customers jumped ship when Callendars expanded. Possibly for the beer.
Many leaving large workshop accounts behind.
Loyalty is over rated these days?

I used to pay my account every week at our agreed rate ahead of everything else. Even food or petrol. A guy I went to polytechnic with just started going to NP motorcycles. Laughed that as a student he couldn't afford the nearly 4k he owed and keep his bike on the road. That really pissed me off. He had the money next student loan to buy an Italian one piece, new boots etc but still did not pay Neil. He eventually did the same thing to them and just left town with a smaller but still hefty unpaid bill. Prize wanker.

Gianz
3rd May 2014, 15:07
Gianz

As I said before, they said they had no idea. Of course they never even found out because all the kiwi customers they have they just pay without checking, then they complain that nowadays everything is so expensive. In France you go on a motorbikes forum to give other fellow riders the heads up on dubious business practices and you get thanked. Here they take the side of the business. No wonder National are gonna win again.

oldrider
3rd May 2014, 15:19
As I said before, they said they had no idea. Of course they never even found out because all the kiwi customers they have they just pay without checking, then they complain that nowadays everything is so expensive. In France you go on a motorbikes forum to give other fellow riders the heads up on dubious business practices and you get thanked. Here they take the side of the business. No wonder National are gonna win again.

You were doing OK untill that last irrelevant unrelated comment! :yes:

Has the OP had a discussion with Colemans on this thread subject matter? Or is that in their too hard basket! :shutup:

Crasherfromwayback
3rd May 2014, 15:41

Some of us take the side of the business because we too are in the industry and have heard it all before. And hey...if National getting back in worries you...you could always fly home!

jellywrestler
3rd May 2014, 16:08
I won't be buying another OEM oil filter, why pay $25 for OEM when I can get a better filter going after-market and pay US$6.09 for it?

does that include postage and credit card/paypal fees, what's it really cost in your hand?

bogan
3rd May 2014, 16:20
It's not the same oil. The stuff in the workshop comes in a huge drum and they have to get a forklift to take it to the workshop. This is more expensive that some dolly carrying a four litre pack to a shelf. :bleh::bleh::bleh:

Could well be it, maybe they bought half a dozen drums a while back at a more expensive price than the bottles they got a sweet deal on in the meantime and moved more of. Might explain why the charge rates are different. Same liquid but through a different supply/price chain.

MarkH
3rd May 2014, 16:22
does that include postage and credit card/paypal fees, what's it really cost in your hand?

It would cost about half the price and is a better filter.
credit card/paypal fees are only a small percentage if anything, in this case I think the seller charges nothing extra and takes the hit.
Postage adds a bit, but I consolidate a decent (over US$200) order that includes a couple of oil filters so that the shipping cost that I could attribute to the filters would only be a couple of bucks each.

Currently the exchange rate is so good that US$6.09 is equal to only just over NZ$7 so I think that I'd have these oil filters in my hand for less than NZ$12 total cost which is under half what a worse filter bought here would cost.

Gremlin
3rd May 2014, 16:30
Yeah, but you actually get 4L too, whereas most bikes top out at 3.6L.

Still, I remember when the KTM took fully synthetic, that was $40/L. Instead of buying the 1L bottles on the shelf for top ups, I got the shop to re-fill a bottle from their supply, cost a bit less (unlike OP obviously) ;)

With the BMW taking mineral, I wait for Repco or Supercheap to have a special, then pay around $40 for 4L.

jellywrestler
3rd May 2014, 16:36
It would cost about half the price and is a better filter.
credit card/paypal fees are only a small percentage if anything, in this case I think the seller charges nothing extra and takes the hit.
Postage adds a bit, but I consolidate a decent (over US$200) order that includes a couple of oil filters so that the shipping cost that I could attribute to the filters would only be a couple of bucks each.

Currently the exchange rate is so good that US$6.09 is equal to only just over NZ$7 so I think that I'd have these oil filters in my hand for less than NZ$12 total cost which is under half what a worse filter bought here would cost.

so not the USD$6.09 you mentioned though...

MarkH
3rd May 2014, 17:27
so not the USD$6.09 you mentioned though...

Silly me, assuming that you could guestimate what sort of landed price that would work out to.
My point is that I can buy a better product for less than half the price, so that is what I do.
I figure it is better than paying more locally and then crying about it.

jonbuoy
3rd May 2014, 19:45

Dubious buisiness practice would be not changing the filter but charging you to do it. Charging RRP on oil isn't dubious practice. What industry do you work in?

Gianz
4th May 2014, 12:32
Dubious buisiness practice would be not changing the filter but charging you to do it. Charging RRP on oil isn't dubious practice. What industry do you work in?

You clearly can't read.

Gianz
4th May 2014, 12:35
Some of us take the side of the business because we too are in the industry and have heard it all before. And hey...if National getting back in worries you...you could always fly home!

It's a pity because you come out as a nice guy so I don't understand why you would want to defend your competitors instead of taking the distance from such practices.
As for the flying thing, boring.

Crasherfromwayback
4th May 2014, 12:43
It's a pity because you come out as a nice guy so I don't understand why you would want to defend your competitors instead of taking the distance from such practices.

They're not competitors mate. And if you have a wee look at my previous posts regarding this matter...you'll see I've the whole time said I think them charging more for the oil out back in bulk than the shit out front is bad practice. But you guys (and girls) that come onto forums and slag shops off before sorting things out in person can do more harm than the *offending* shop deserves. Think about it for a minute.

And as boring as the flying bit may be....I guess it matches the randomness of your National comment.

FJRider
4th May 2014, 13:05

The next time you want your bike serviced (because you are too dam lazy to do it yourself) ... take it to Crasher' in Wellington. I'm pretty sure you'll find he IS a nice guy ... and how much "Competition" Colemans IS to him ... ;)

pritch
4th May 2014, 13:20

Are you in for a shock when next you need a lawyer!

Crasherfromwayback
4th May 2014, 13:22
Are you in for a shock when next you need a lawyer!

Let alone a fucking dentist! Costs me $150.00 to shake the cunts hand!

Smifffy
4th May 2014, 13:25
I get my bike and my cages serviced at garages, and ya know what pisses me off the most? It's happened with both the bike and the cage, and both from the authorised service agents for each. Both service agents are out of town. I book the things in a good couple of weeks in advance, then when I go to pick them up they're like "Oh we didn't have an air filter for it, we'll give you a call when it comes in, and you can drop by and we'll fit it in for you. It should be here next week". I think that's bullshit. Assholes at the cage garage then even "forgot" to order the damn thing so 3 weeks later when I'm there and ask 'em why they didn't call me, and where's my air filter the same guy (the boss) goes "eh? what?" then tells me in his best customer service voice that he'll order it right away and it should be here by the end of the week. One reason I don't DIY for that is because I can't do the reset on the computer display to tell it the service has been done, and stop showing the message.

Hmm that message is showing again. Blah

Both times I took the air filter away and fitted it myself anyway. I know it's not that difficult, just annoying.

oldrider
4th May 2014, 15:48

Do not bight the hand that fixes your teeth! ..... You can get even by getting all your teeth out and then buy a set of dentures from a dental mechanic! :laugh:

Edbear
4th May 2014, 15:54

Be more gentle next time...

BoristheBiter
4th May 2014, 16:50
You clearly can't read.

You clearly don't know the cost of oil.

BoristheBiter
4th May 2014, 16:51

As you were the one to say it wouldn't happen in France you opened it up to that sort of comment.

Jantar
4th May 2014, 16:53
Having read this thread right through, I believe that this is bloody good advertising for Colemans. I've just checked my invoice for my last service at Boyd's in Hamilton, $333.50 for a full service, and I was very happy with that.

Overall I was charged a lot more for labour, did not require a wof, did include a session on the diagnostic computer and used 3.5l of 5100 @ $13.04 per liter, also replaced the spark plugs. So in my case oil was cheaper and labour was dearer.

Previous services have ranged from a low of $188 to $282 over 5 services at 3 diffrent bike shops.

Gremlin
4th May 2014, 17:02
Previous services have ranged from a low of $188 to $282 over 5 services at 3 diffrent bike shops.
Depends which service it is. CB900 is $200 for the regular service, $300 for the expensive one. 6k and 12k are cheap ones, then 18k more expensive, rinse and repeat.

nzspokes
4th May 2014, 17:14
Had a oil change, filter and converted to reverse shift. Oil and filter were $70. Labour was a cup of coffee.

FJRider
4th May 2014, 18:05

I'd shake your hand for half that ... :innocent:

Jantar
4th May 2014, 18:45
I'd shake your hand for half that ... :innocent:
Be honest Trev, You'd even shake his hand for one of his famous coffees.

Crasherfromwayback
4th May 2014, 19:14

Hey...did I ever convince you to try one?

FJRider
4th May 2014, 19:19

If I was/did ... that might suggest I was cheap ..... :Oi:

OK ... I am ... :(

Jantar
4th May 2014, 19:21
Hey...did I ever convince you to try one?
Yes, And I'll probably call in for another one on my next trip.

noobi
4th May 2014, 22:22
You clearly can't read.

So $17.5 for 5100 upstairs, and $25 downstairs?

I can almost guarantee that someone upstairs has fucked up the pricing on the upstairs oil, they've done that by confusing 3100 with 5100.
The RRPs are $17.5 for 3100 and $25 for 5100. They are different oils, 3100 is mineral, 5100 is semi-synthetic.

Part numbers for bulk oil and 1L packs are different, so there would be no knowledge of the discrepancy until someone points it out.
The fact that they didn't change the price for you, is likely because you were being a belligerent dickhead. :)

ducatilover
5th May 2014, 21:24
Beyond stating this is a common tactic by mechanics so they can appear to charge less for labour there is not a lot I can say. The only other thing that comes to mind is check the menu before you order.

I don't do it, way to fuck off a customer. They are the ones feeding me after all.

BoristheBiter
10th May 2014, 19:25
I don't do it, way to fuck off a customer. They are the ones feeding me after all.

We sort of do this.
We have a lower hourly rate and add the larger tools (welder, grinder, ramset gun etc) we use onto the bill.
People start to complain as this should be part of our hourly rate to which we explain that if we did that our rate would be higher and they would get charged even when we aren't using them. they see our point and happily pay.

Gianz
16th May 2014, 00:01
well it turns out they actually undercharged me because they put an extra 1/2 liter of oil free of charge. The other day I went and checked the oil level (didn't check it since I took the bike from the mechanic) and the sightglass was full. I leaned the bike over to the side stand and there the oil was coming down on the sightglass. They probably checked the level on the side stand so they way overfilled. Awesome for a Suzuki dealer.
Needless to say I took the excess oil out, hopefully no damage was done, I can't believe it.

Gianz
16th May 2014, 00:02
We sort of do this.
We have a lower hourly rate and add the larger tools (welder, grinder, ramset gun etc) we use onto the bill.
People start to complain as this should be part of our hourly rate to which we explain that if we did that our rate would be higher and they would get charged even when we aren't using them. they see our point and happily pay.

seems legit, as long as the customer knows it beforehand.

tippersv
16th May 2014, 06:40
well it turns out they actually undercharged me because they put an extra 1/2 liter of oil free of charge. The other day I went and checked the oil level (didn't check it since I took the bike from the mechanic) and the sightglass was full. I leaned the bike over to the side stand and there the oil was coming down on the sightglass. They probably checked the level on the side stand so they way overfilled. Awesome for a Suzuki dealer.
Needless to say I took the excess oil out, hopefully no damage was done, I can't believe it.

man you are a dipshit, all service departments MEASURE the oil out of the bulk store and charge you accordingly, but I am impressed that you are now more qualified than a dealer mechanic; maybe you should open your own shop :baby:

nzspokes
16th May 2014, 06:44

No that means your carbs are stuffed and dumping extra fuel into the bores. Bet that oil smelt a bit funny.

Hope you can find somebody to work on it now.......

Gianz
17th May 2014, 21:57
No that means your carbs are stuffed and dumping extra fuel into the bores. Bet that oil smelt a bit funny.

Hope you can find somebody to work on it now.......

Ah ah it's FI retard.

Gianz
17th May 2014, 22:04
man you are a dipshit, all service departments MEASURE the oil out of the bulk store and charge you accordingly, but I am impressed that you are now more qualified than a dealer mechanic; maybe you should open your own shop :baby:

You must be very smart if you need a dealer mechanic to check the oil level in your bike.

FJRider
18th May 2014, 12:03

I'm curious as to the method you used to "Take out" the excess oil ... :scratch: considering your apparent laziness in getting a bike shop to do the actual work they did ...

nzspokes
18th May 2014, 12:10
Ah ah it's FI retard.

Why would they bother with FI on a 650?

nzspokes
18th May 2014, 12:11
You must be very smart if you need a dealer mechanic to do an oil change

Fixed for you.

FJRider
18th May 2014, 12:14
You must be very smart if you need a dealer mechanic to check the oil level in your bike.

And you are not smart at all ... if that is the impression that post you quoted ... gave you.

Most motorcycle casings have cast into them the correct amount of oil required for that bike. Measuring the correct amounts serves the purpose of eliminating overfilling. If it was over the level it should be ... other issues are involved. Serious issues that need sorted very quickly.

Good luck finding a anyone (now) willing to work on YOUR bike.

ducatilover
18th May 2014, 21:14
Stupid tapatalk not quoting.
I'd be worried if the level was that far over filled... can be catastrophic

R650R
18th May 2014, 22:25
I check everything before going far or leaving even.
No offence to mechanics on here but I've seen to many cases over the years of missed items/wrongly done etc. As like any job people will make mistakes.
Best one was rocker cover bolts on a FH12 Volvo only done up finger tight by Akld workshop, man that was a good smoke trail when we hit the Bombay hill and oil tipped out the back straight onto exhaust manifold!!! 44 ton fog machine.
Half a litre is a lot of extra oil, that will be blowing a gasket or seal somewhere...

FJRider
18th May 2014, 22:26
Ah ah it's FI retard.

Fuel injection can have its issues ...

If the extra bulk in the oil wasn't petrol ... that leaves water. You WILL know if it is ... things go milky in the sight glass.

ducatilover
19th May 2014, 00:57
Fuel injection can have its issues ...

If the extra bulk in the oil wasn't petrol ... that leaves water. You WILL know if it is ... things go milky in the sight glass.

Or it was simply over filled.
EFI won't leak enough to bore wash it and still run fine.

imdying
19th May 2014, 10:26
Well regardless, I hate the fucking french. Fuck off back to your own terrorism supporting nation. Hope the boat taking you there sinks and kills you.

BTW you stupid fucking frog, if the pintle holds open it'll have the same effect of dumping oil in your bores.

aderino4
19th May 2014, 10:42

Did you check it with engine cold or warm?

On SV the engine should be run up to temperature and wait for 2 minutes before checking the oil level.

It might be 100-200ml difference.

Gianz
20th May 2014, 11:54
I'm curious as to the method you used to "Take out" the excess oil ... :scratch: considering your apparent laziness in getting a bike shop to do the actual work they did ...

I suck it out with a straw then I deep fried my french fries on it. Cause you know somebody decided I'm french

Gianz
20th May 2014, 11:57
Well regardless, I hate the fucking french. Fuck off back to your own terrorism supporting nation. Hope the boat taking you there sinks and kills you.

BTW you stupid fucking frog, if the pintle holds open it'll have the same effect of dumping oil in your bores.

or you could just send a drone from your yankee mates to kill me, it's the new trend apparently.

ducatilover
22nd May 2014, 22:53

So, because you're a NZ'er, you support giving land, air and water to the Natives, silly traffic laws, binge drinking and fucking sheep? Or does it not count unless you want to dislike somebody else becase of some fucked Napoleonic fantasyland?

imdying
23rd May 2014, 11:01
So, because you're a NZ'er, you support giving land, air and water to the Natives, silly traffic laws, binge drinking and fucking sheep? Or does it not count unless you want to dislike somebody else becase of some fucked Napoleonic fantasyland?I'm happy to wait till you stop drinking before I reply, because I'm sure you could only have drawn those conclusions when pissed or high. But in a nut shell, fuck the french.

R650R
23rd May 2014, 12:39

You've never met or watched the lovely Rachael Khoo then who unlike Nigella doesn't seem to have a coke habit lol I really should cook something out of her recipe book instead of just looking at the awesome pictures in it :)

BuzzardNZ
23rd May 2014, 12:47
You've never met or watched the lovely Rachael Khoo then who unlike Nigella doesn't seem to have a coke habit lol I really should cook something out of her recipe book instead of just looking at the awesome pictures in it :)

Yes she is lovely but she's not French.

She lived in France and made a cooking TV show there, but was born and raised in England ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Khoo )

Can't see her getting serviced at Colemans Suzuki K Road anytime soon!

imdying
23rd May 2014, 12:57
Always time for a lovely English rose :yes:

ducatilover
23rd May 2014, 18:13
I'm happy to wait till you stop drinking before I reply, because I'm sure you could only have drawn those conclusions when pissed or high. But in a nut shell, fuck the french.

:bleh: I'm just a retard.

Not a froggy though.

BuzzardNZ
23rd May 2014, 18:58
Always time for a lovely English rose :yes:

An English rose with a touch of yellow it seems :drool:

Berries
23rd May 2014, 21:17
An English rose with a touch of yellow it seems :drool:
Just like my grannie.

BuzzardNZ
23rd May 2014, 22:35
:mad: <-- to the mods 4 deleting that sweet pic :brick:

imdying
26th May 2014, 09:34
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/3/19/1332161534118/Rachel-Khoo-shot-in-her-P-008.jpg

BuzzardNZ
26th May 2014, 10:15
LOL. Nice find imdying! She looks a little menacing in that pic :shit:

imdying
26th May 2014, 10:20
Best of all, it's 100 percent width... same relative size for everyone :bleh:\

/edit: Ahahahahah and that faggot still removed it... guess he's not smart enough to figure it out...

R650R
26th May 2014, 18:47
Yes she is lovely but she's not French.

She lived in France and made a cooking TV show there, but was born and raised in England ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Khoo )

Can't see her getting serviced at Colemans Suzuki K Road anytime soon!

Are you saying their not up to it, I'd service her in a jiffy lol

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article7640630.ece/alternates/w620/36-tips1.jpg

BuzzardNZ
26th May 2014, 19:31
Thread has kind of got off topic, but all the better for it!.

Should rename it the Rachael Khoo appreciation thread :drool: