PDA

View Full Version : Cracked windscreen advice please

Stylo
4th May 2014, 18:42
Truck threw a stone and hit the windscreen on our CX-5 the other day, big crack and about 300mm long now, getting bigger by the day as it gets hotter and colder. It's fucked, can't be repaired.

Will the likes of Novus and Smith and Smith visit your residence and replace the screen or will we have to take it in to get it done?

Laava
4th May 2014, 18:50
Your insurance will cover it being fixed at their shop. If you want them to come to you it will cost you the extra over the shop fitted price to your ins company. Was about $180 or so last year when I had it done.

Tazz
4th May 2014, 18:54
I had one done at my place through State insurance a few years ago as it was unsafe (apparently) to drive. No extra charges, however I lived quite central in Chch.

R650R
4th May 2014, 19:05
Had smith and smith come to my place via AA ins (they can come to your workplace also). No mention of anything extra and the guy on phone said they are fully mobile anyway.
Ring your insurance co asap with story of how it happened as you may have to wait a day or two depending on car model.
Just make sure the feckers put all the trim back on properly around window edges etc, some of them can be sloppy workmanship and also state which top tint or not etc you need.

hayd3n
4th May 2014, 19:16
wife had her windscrenn fixed they came to her and fixed it at no cost :)

SMOKEU
4th May 2014, 19:29
I still don't understand why there's no excess on vehicle glazing, since insurance companies are run by Jews.

Stylo
4th May 2014, 19:59
Thanks, we took out the 'Glass cover' from Mazda so not worried about insurance, guess a replacement screen might be a while though.

We have the rain sensor thingy which may make a difference, bring back the old days when a windscreen was a windscreen.

Nice to know they can do it at my residence, give S&S a call tomorrow and Novus too

scumdog
4th May 2014, 20:07
I still don't understand why there's no excess on vehicle glazing, since insurance companies are run by Jews.

See, that is why Jews are on the win.

Because they are smarter than the averag SMOKEU

Stylo
4th May 2014, 20:26
:facepalm:
See, that is why Jews are on the win.

Because they are smarter than the averag SMOKEU

Guess banning the synthetic weed is a good thing after all ....

FJRider
4th May 2014, 22:06

Even Jews can have a need to get their windscreens fixed ....

Swoop
4th May 2014, 22:10
They will come to you and fit the new windscreen.
You will not be able to drive your car for around 6hrs afterwards though, while the sealant sets properly. Or you can drive it regardless and then complain why it leaks later in winter.

Flip
5th May 2014, 14:40
IMHO Smith and smith (S+S) are and have been the very worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with, I don't think I will ever know what really happened but from my point of view;

They caused my Lotus being off the road for 4 months after the canterbury earthquake because they have a supply contract to supply glass for Vero and enforced the contract with extreme prediduice even though they could not purchase a screen from Lotus as they were having a disagrement over another invoice and rather than let me or the repearer know about it, brought an expensive custom made screen at a very high price that did not fit and they did not want end up owning it.

There the car sat for another 3 months because the car repearer could not purchase a screen because of the vero/ S+S contract and S+S could not supply one from Lotus because they owed them money, now nobody would tell me why they just said that the supplied screen did not fit and another one was comming. The problem was S+S purchased one from some custom screen maker at a cost of $4.5k, that screen arived but did not come with the screen trim which is part of the screen and could not be salvaged or fitted without it. There it sat for another 3 months because of the toxic $4.5k cost for a screen that was useless. After I found out that S+S was being cunts I spent a few hours on the phone with the GM of Classic Cars insurance, Vero and S+S, even then I had to get it in writing from vero that the repearer was not going to be held responsible for the toxic $4.5k debt because the local S+S office were threatening to recover costs from the repearer for the useless screen even after I had it sorted out with S+S GM.

In the end I ordered a screen from Lotus (thats when I found about the outstanding Lotus-S+S invoice) on my credit card (It cost $750 incl air freight) and had it a week letter.

I was lied to and mislead and will never have any dealings with Smith and smith ever again. After I got this sorted lets say the insurance company was very greatfull.

Rant over!

bogan
5th May 2014, 15:26
S+S are the reason glass insurance is so dear. People who have to pay for their own repairs won't touch em if they are smart. Instead, they pass the inflated prices onto everyone who buys glass cover; true tragedy of the commons stuff.

TheDemonLord
5th May 2014, 16:21

I think the reason is that most cases it will be another vehicle that causes the chip, but there is no way to proove blame (unlike an accident) so there is no excess

Stylo
5th May 2014, 18:36
Will steer clear of S+S , been there on Saturday and weren't impressed with the short staffing and lack of knowledge. The comments on this thread seem to verify that.

Novus have had a look and the only issue is with the rain sensor and 'Auto headlight' thingy which, they said, is the reason they'd rather do the job in - house than at our place. I can live with that .....

haydes55
5th May 2014, 21:08
I've dealt with smith and smith once, they didn't have a windscreen in stock in Hamilton or taupo... My van is a fairly common mazda 1800i. Was a weeks wait.

Next time went to Hamilton windscreens down Te Rapa straight. Didn't call ahead, just pulled in the shop. Drove out with a new windscreen 20 mins later with a cup of milo. Same story again next stone chip.