PDA

View Full Version : Is it Champion - chip, or is it Champion - ship?

HenryDorsetCase
12th May 2014, 10:40
All my life I have said champion-chip but I was listening to an English commentator today who clearly said "champion ship".

and I'm all like "Woah, dude, he says it like its spelled".

That is all.

Hitcher
12th May 2014, 11:23
The BDOTGNZA concurs.

scrivy
12th May 2014, 11:29
Type championchip into Google - it'll say "Did you mean championship?"

haydes55
12th May 2014, 11:36
I've always said champion ship..... But then again I used to say grand prix as it was spelt until I was about 10....

BoristheBiter
12th May 2014, 11:44
All my life I have said champion-chip but I was listening to an English commentator today who clearly said "champion ship".

That is all.

Slow day aye?

HenryDorsetCase
12th May 2014, 11:54
Slow day aye?

You got it. I am procrastinating because I have a couple of steaming turds on my desk which I have to get elbow deep into. So I have been checking the farcebook, the tradme, stuff, KB and anything else I can think of to prevent me working.

I can't put it off much longer unfortunately. :(

roogazza
12th May 2014, 11:55
Mmmmmmm Chips !

very slow day.

BoristheBiter
12th May 2014, 12:12
You got it. I am procrastinating because I have a couple of steaming turds on my desk which I have to get elbow deep into. So I have been checking the farcebook, the tradme, stuff, KB and anything else I can think of to prevent me working.

I can't put it off much longer unfortunately. :(

:killingme I hear ya.

I'm trying to find sticky pads to mount the camera to the bike instead of working.

pritch
12th May 2014, 13:28
Slow day aye?

Perhaps. But at least he could probably spell the interrogative "eh" correctly?

Please pardon my periodic predilection for pedantry. (And alliteration?)

On second thoughts; very slow day.

bogan
12th May 2014, 13:31
Depending on the slowness of the day you can indeed have a champion-chip.

Take a regular bag of chips, and for every pair of whole chips within squeeze them together until one breaks. Eat the broken one and repeat the test. eventually there will be one whole chip remaining amongst the debris of its challengers, and this chip shall be known as the champion-chip!

slofox
12th May 2014, 13:52
ChampionSHIP. As in guardianSHIP or stewardSHIP or steamSHIP...ermmm...not sure about that last one...maybe.

My grand-daughter (4) would say shampionSHIP. But then, she'd also say Shocolate Shippies and Sheese and pineapple shunks, since she struggles to pronounce the "ch" blend correctly. :facepalm:

BoristheBiter
12th May 2014, 14:53

Please pardon my periodic predilection for pedantry. (And alliteration?)

On second thoughts; very slow day.

It is indeed as i was trying to get Hitcher to bite on that one.

Hitcher
12th May 2014, 15:43

The BDOTGNZA concurs.

Hitcher
12th May 2014, 15:47
Mispronunciations will be the death of the Brave Defenders. Too often we hear of people being "ear lifted", not to mention those who don't know or realise that there are different pronunciations for "pair", "peer", "pare" and "pear".

Then there is the perennial "woman's" versus "women's".

And then there are Australian rugby commentators. Gahh! Thud.

HenryDorsetCase
12th May 2014, 16:15
Mispronunciations will be the death of the Brave Defenders. Too often we hear of people being "ear lifted", not to mention those who don't know or realise that there are different pronunciations for "pair", "peer", "pare" and "pear".

We feminists pronounce it "wimminz", and eschew the patriarchy.

pritch
12th May 2014, 19:17

My pets are imply and infer, it seems to be about fifty fifty whether or not they'll be used correctly.

One that would have had an error rate approaching 100% where I was employed was using "incidence" when they meant "incidents".
And they all had degrees?:whistle:

pritch
12th May 2014, 19:27
I can't reproduce the photo but here is the text of a clothing ad posted on Twitter by the Guardian Style Guide.

"Hundred's of dresses, from Maxi's to mini's, pencil's to skater's,
find amazing savings on dresses right now."

Maha
12th May 2014, 20:18
Is there any 'Ch' word that sounds the Ch as shhhhhh? if not, then it can only be Champion - chip, as in Potato.

Christchurch uses the Ch with two different sounds within the one word, but not a shhhhh sound.

Ocean1
12th May 2014, 20:22
I rarely hear chimney pronounced other than "chimley".

I try not to let it worry me.

Grumph
12th May 2014, 20:30
I rarely hear chimney pronounced other than "chimley".

I try not to let it worry me.

post quakes, down here it's pronounced "fucked chimbley"

pritch
12th May 2014, 20:53
To feign polite interest you could always aks if their chimbley was fucked?

neels
12th May 2014, 21:18
To feign polite interest you could always aks if their muthafuckin' chimbley was fucked bro?
Fixxed that 4 u

Hitcher
12th May 2014, 21:57
What a great thread. The BDOTGNZA's nipples have hardened.

scracha
13th May 2014, 06:24
there are different pronunciations for "pair", "peer", "pare" and "pear".

Not with a dodgy Kiwi accent there isn't.

slofox
13th May 2014, 07:52
Is there any 'Ch' word that sounds the Ch as shhhhhh?

Yep. "Charade" for one.

avgas
13th May 2014, 07:54
Embrace your new Chinese overlords and abandon your prior British slave drivers.
From now on its either Qampionship or Qampionqip

pritch
13th May 2014, 10:25
Embrace your new Chinese overlords and abandon your prior British slave drivers.

Qit! Really?

slofox
13th May 2014, 11:34

Arrrr, so, light you rah.

Edbear
13th May 2014, 12:07

There, their, they're, it's all okay...:crazy:

Edbear
13th May 2014, 12:08
And there are a lot of rear cars on TradeMe, too.

Edbear
13th May 2014, 12:10
My pets are imply and infer, it seems to be about fifty fifty whether or not they'll be used correctly.

One that would have had an error rate approaching 100% where I was employed was using "incidence" when they meant "incidents".
And they all had degrees?:whistle:

Just what are you inferring..? The implications are onerous.

ellipsis
13th May 2014, 12:35
....chimera, chaperone, (Chantal), chamois, chagrin, Champagne...

HenryDorsetCase
13th May 2014, 13:21
Chanteuse.: speaking of which.....

oooh errrrr I'm coming over all french.

FjjDmX9Tkss

ellipsis
13th May 2014, 13:26
...Chevrolet, chevron, chalet......

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/efhknbfaMAs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

steveyb
13th May 2014, 13:29
....chimera, chaperone, (Chantal), chamois, chagrin, Champagne...

Je croix que tous ces mots dont vous parlez sont des mots Francais. Ils sont pas des mots Anglais, mais emprunte aux Francais.
Sauf que chimera. Je pense que cet mot est dire avec le 'ch' dur.

ellipsis
13th May 2014, 13:39
Je croix que tous ces mots dont vous parlez sont des mots Francais. Ils sont pas des mots Anglais, mais emprunte aux Francais.
Sauf que chimera. Je pense que cet mot est dire avec le 'ch' dur.

...the english language is bastardised from the , French, Germanic tongues added to the Latin and others and thats all it will ever be...no such thing as 'their words' in our's...it's all theirs...

avgas
13th May 2014, 14:37
And there are a lot of rear cars on TradeMe, too.
None of this FWD bullshit. Give me rear anyday.

avgas
13th May 2014, 14:45
...the english language is bastardised from the , French, Germanic tongues added to the Latin and others and thats all it will ever be...no such thing as 'their words' in our's...it's all theirs...
And then some.
Besides most modern french is on its 5 revolution and sounds different from the lang of old.
This is why there is such massive differences between france, french polynesia, Canada, Swiss and African French.
Not that they would admit it - because that makes them look as bad as the English.
Even the written stuff has changed somewhat.

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/medieval/gif/m389-6.gif

Hitcher
13th May 2014, 16:31
Even the written stuff has changed somewhat.

Hardly surprising, given that the language in your (perhaps too large) graphic is Latin.

Raptus regaliter.

HenryDorsetCase
13th May 2014, 16:55
Hardly surprising, given that the language in your (perhaps too large) graphic is Latin.

Raptus regaliter.

I take your Raptus regaliter, and raise you a Draconic Quantum.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-609490187.htm

pritch
13th May 2014, 17:17
Since this thread seems to be a suitable repository...

In another current thread the term factoid was used to describe a small fact. This is incorrect, "factoid" was originally intended to describe something that is accepted as fact but is not. If the majority get it wrong often enough, however, their version might become the new correct version.

Mental Trousers
13th May 2014, 17:42
Since this thread seems to be a suitable repository...

In another current thread the term factoid was used to describe a small fact. This is incorrect, "factoid" was originally intended to describe something that is accepted as fact but is not. If the majority get it wrong often enough, however, their version might become the new correct version.

You mean like verse? :mad::angry2::brick::mad::angry2::brick:

pritch
13th May 2014, 17:55
You mean like verse? :mad::angry2::brick::mad::angry2::brick:

Like vice verse? :innocent:

MVnut
13th May 2014, 18:22

That is all.

Funny man (hope your post is in jest)

Woodman
13th May 2014, 18:33
I would hate to loose a championchip. :msn-wink::msn-wink::bleh::no::eek:

Mental Trousers
13th May 2014, 20:01
Like vice verse? :innocent:

Like verse vs versus ;)

HenryDorsetCase
14th May 2014, 09:51
I had to come over a bridge over the Heathcote River today. Its pronounced "hethhhh kit" round these parts. Not heAth coat.

Also, I followed one of those silly big SUV's today (in my far smaller and less impressive SUV) and it had one of those spare wheel covers on it. Emblazoned thereon was the word "Bugger". That is quite odd. Does it show the owner's predilection for anal sex? Are they a pitcher or a catcher? So at the traffic lights I got out and wrote "Me please - I will pay $10" underneath it. for clarity of course. Clarity in communication is key, one finds.

Ocean1
14th May 2014, 11:17
I had to come over a bridge over the Heathcote River today.

English place names are immune from correct pronunciation.

I mean, how can you take the sound of Worcestershire seriously in it’s native tongue let alone those of barbarous colonial heathens.

neels
14th May 2014, 19:35
Also, I followed one of those silly big SUV's today (in my far smaller and less impressive SUV) and it had one of those spare wheel covers on it. Emblazoned thereon was the word "Bugger". That is quite odd. Does it show the owner's predilection for anal sex? Are they a pitcher or a catcher? So at the traffic lights I got out and wrote "Me please - I will pay $10" underneath it. for clarity of course. Clarity in communication is key, one finds.
And yet you too neglected to specify whether you wished to be pitcher or catcher. Clarity in communication is indeed key.

wayne
14th May 2014, 21:44
in wsbk its champion (chip) pata

ellipsis
14th May 2014, 21:51

avgas
15th May 2014, 02:38
Raptus regaliter.
Really?
So not Teutonic?

English has borrowed elements overtime from French, Itallian and Spannish, but rarely Latin.........also the core is fundamentally different. English is closer to Dutch and Nordic Languages than Spanish or French or Latin for a reason.

The Latin alphabet was adopted as a tool to make written text easier. Teutonic was not formed using the same characters. So what they did was implement sounds the Latin letters formed to create written english as we see it now. In fact this is where the term English came from.

Northern languages were not the only ones to do this. 1000 years later - Chinese adopted the same process and formed the written language Piying, Japan did similar with Katakana (sp?).
Note that this process was not called "Latinization" but "Romanization" because even the Romans changed Latin from its original core.

Referencing English to Latin is like referencing trees to amoeba.........if I plant an Amoeba I doubt I would grow a tree. Likewise if I cut open a tree, I doubt I would find the Amoeba that started it. The two are so disconnected that it does make sense.

I have no even touched on the origins in Sanskrit, which affected English the most, more so than Latin did. Which is why we write words in lower case, and have punctuation. It is also the reason why the same word can be used in multiple context an change the meaning. Unlike latin where there are multiple words for same thing in different contexts.

So keep believing the world is based on latin, and we only had 1 language 2,000 years ago.

HenryDorsetCase
15th May 2014, 09:52
And yet you too neglected to specify whether you wished to be pitcher or catcher. Clarity in communication is indeed key.

I'm good with either, as you know :)

pritch
15th May 2014, 22:18
So not Teutonic?

My guess is not, since it was most likely written by a monk, and since the Ghurch of England was centuries away it was probably done under the auspices of the church of Rome.

One thing though: what was the original Roman language? Trojan?