PDA

View Full Version : Government Morons

Wolf
5th September 2005, 14:45
In the Harold on-line (here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10344058)) the govt is suggesting ways to conserve petrol.

Motorbikes don't even get a mention as an eco-friendly alternative to driving four blocks alone in your 2 litre station wagon...

It mentions "cycling" but I infer they refer to those unwarrantable and unregistered things.

What do we have to do to get "Motorcycles = fuel economy" hammered into the politicians skulls?

Edit: Same on-line site mentions a boy getting his toes entangled in a motorcycle chain in Te Kuiti. No mention of anything important - like whether or not the kid was wearing proper footwear (suspect not).

Hitcher
5th September 2005, 14:48
Or two blocks in your gas-guzzling SUV.

Be careful what you say about Moun Tain Bikes. There are those amongst us who have Giant Iguanas stuck in their butt cracks...

vifferman
5th September 2005, 14:54
What do we have to do to get "Motorcycles = fuel economy" hammered into the politicians skulls?
Umm... maybe some of them rode FahrtSturms?
I was lucky to get 30mpg communtering on that. :o
But (however!) the VifFerraRi scored 52.4mpg being thrashed around the Coromandel with a couple of hungred kg of freight.

Lou Girardin
5th September 2005, 15:31
I've done my bit by shifting at 500 rpm lower.
Just call me Kimi.

yungatart
5th September 2005, 15:46
I've done my bit by getting the Eliminator-will be leaving the 3 .8 litre cage at home!

**R1**
5th September 2005, 15:58
My bike costs more on fuel than my car, and I only use it for breaking the law and joy riding...so i guess its not that eco friendly...

Motu
5th September 2005, 16:49
I've disconnected my bass cannon,less drain on the alt saves fuel...and as an added bonus the car has a more aerodynamic shape without the roof and doors pulsing out of shape....although a tape of The Irish Rovers would have the same effect....

Storm
5th September 2005, 16:50
Isnt that what all litre bikes are there for by definition? :bleh:

Pixie
5th September 2005, 23:35
The reason they never mention motorcycles is due to the fact that the advice (unpublished) that they get from LTNZ and ACC is that it would be a good objective to eventually render motorcycling nonviable,through fees and regulations.
They can hardly promote bikes when that is their hidden agenda.

gamgee
5th September 2005, 23:50
so what exactly were carless days? did you get fined for using a car on these days or something? and what would it mean for motorbikes? and what about people like couriers etc.

Ixion
6th September 2005, 00:20
so what exactly were carless days? did you get fined for using a car on these days or something? and what would it mean for motorbikes? and what about people like couriers etc.

All motorists had to elect one day of the week (Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday etc) for each car, on which the car was not permitted to be on the road. You had a sticker (Mon/Tue/Wed etc) which you had to put on the windscreen. And if the cops found a Mon car on the road on Monday, you got fined.

I can't remember if bikes were included or not. I think they were. If they were, the deal was the same. Couriers, they said the courier should choose a weekend day (when he ws not working) as his carless day

It was a complete crock though, because you could apply for an exemption on a number of grounds. And they didn't check the reason you gave for asking for the exemption. I had one , as did everybody I knew .

Mr Skid
6th September 2005, 00:26
I can't remember if bikes were included or not. I think they were. If they were, the deal was the same. Couriers, they said the courier should choose a weekend day (when he ws not working) as his carless dayMowtourbycyciles were excluded from carless days.

I remember seeing a recent press picature of MOT signage, and it specified that muterboikes were excluded.