PDA

View Full Version : ACC Levies to be cut next year?

biketimus_prime
15th May 2014, 21:28
http://www.3news.co.nz/Budget-2014-Motorists-score-from-ACC-levy-cuts/tabid/423/articleID/344344/Default.aspx

Motorists will be $130 a year better off from July next year if planned ACC levy cuts go ahead.

ACC Minister Judith Collins says the corporation is on track for levy cuts of about $480 million.

Final decisions are still to be made.

"We anticipate the bulk of these cuts will be for motor vehicle levies, along with the possibility of a levy reduction for employers and the self-employed," she said.

"Depending on the outcome this could reduce the average levy for a private motor vehicle by about $130 a year from July 1, 2015."

Ms Collins says ACC's "consistent performance" has meant annual levies for households and businesses have fallen by nearly $1 billion since 2011.

NZN

So that means bike rego costs will drop too right?

Scuba_Steve
15th May 2014, 21:35
Must be election time :rolleyes:

5ive
15th May 2014, 21:42

Not by much (or not at all), I reckon.

strumpet
15th May 2014, 21:42
Saw somewhere that it referred to 'cars', although other webs talk about 'motor vehicles'. Good luck with that

biketimus_prime
15th May 2014, 21:49
Surely should be bikes as well because it's ACC levy that's being cut.
Here's hoping "motor vehicle levies" also means bikes. Anyone here that can get us a clearer definition?

Bikemad
15th May 2014, 21:49
http://www.3news.co.nz/Budget-2014-Motorists-score-from-ACC-levy-cuts/tabid/423/articleID/344344/Default.aspx

yeah!.........and i hear they are removing the word Gullible from the dictionary too :crazy:

nzspokes
15th May 2014, 21:52
Surely should be bikes as well because it's ACC levy that's being cut.
Here's hoping "motor vehicle levies" also means bikes. Anyone here that can get us a clearer definition?

They will be putting the bike portion up to cover the drop.....<_<

James Deuce
15th May 2014, 22:14
They're aren't dropping for bikes, just private cars.

R650R
15th May 2014, 22:27
Just done some googling, its supposed to be across the board including employer/workplace business acc levies and says motorists rather than cars.
And the reason given is the fund is performing so well. Strange that not so long ago they were saying they couldn't cope...
Will remain to be seen if bikes get relief or not...

mashman
15th May 2014, 22:34
bwaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa.

Berries
15th May 2014, 22:38
I'd imagine they are more likely to go up.

nerrrd
15th May 2014, 23:15
National seem to enjoy kicking us in the nuts (don't think they like being passed/dragged-off in their Audi SUVs by plebs on bikes) so I'm going to say 'not for bikes'.

Brian d marge
16th May 2014, 01:09
bwaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa.

not my fault you didnt get an arse reaming , sux to be jelous

stephen

mashman
16th May 2014, 05:48
not my fault you didnt get an arse reaming , sux to be jelous

stephen

Repetition breeds ambivalence.

James Deuce
16th May 2014, 06:06
Just done some googling, its supposed to be across the board including employer/workplace business acc levies and says motorists rather than cars.
And the reason given is the fund is performing so well. Strange that not so long ago they were saying they couldn't cope...
Will remain to be seen if bikes get relief or not...

I've already asked the question and they aren't going to change for business vehicles or motorcycles, if anything both categories can expect increases. It's private motor vehicles that are going to get a big drop.

caseye
16th May 2014, 06:18
JD is right. Ain't happen'n for us bike riders. We will most likely get an increase, we're more dangerous you know.Pricks.

PrincessBandit
16th May 2014, 06:42
JD is right. Ain't happen'n for us bike riders. We will most likely get an increase, we're more dangerous you know.Pricks.

'fraid I agree with caseye and 'fraid that nzspokes could be right...

When I saw the news article this morning I scoured it for any mention of vehicles other than 'cars' but knew it would be too good to hope for. We are just not a big enough body to be seen as an election group influence obviously.

Voltaire
16th May 2014, 07:21

Once your bike hits 40 it becomes a lot safer then at $117 .

Indiana_Jones
16th May 2014, 07:59
I recall at some point last year they mentioned ACC might drop, but they ruled out a drop for bikes. Bloody cock stains. But hopefully the diesel is gonna be a bit cheaper to licence now.

-Indy

pzkpfw
16th May 2014, 08:30
Part of the reason for the recent increases (for all users) was the switch to a fully-funded model.

That is, ACC trying to have enough money coming in each year to pay for current and future costs of all current accidents; rather than just getting enough money in each year as is currently needed.

e.g. you come off your bike today, and they are supposed to already have enough money set aside for the next 5 years of physical therapy, rather than each years income covering the costs for that year.

(That makes them work more like a normal insurance company. (Potential for sale and privatisation???))

Because they hadn't been operating that way, they needed to "catch up" and fill the coffers. It was always planned to start dropping fees again as they caught up.

So while the drop for private motor vehicles is pitched as showing improved performance and all that, I bet the unspoken reason is just that the previously increased levies have done (or started to do) their job.

Edit: and they'll drop some, but leave "high risk" up, like bikes, thus making for further differential levies, sort of by stealth.

mashman
16th May 2014, 08:49
They'd be better off using those "savings" for removing those cases where ACC declines cover... along the lines of recurrent injuries etc...

Akzle
16th May 2014, 11:26
make sure to vote for someone. they're all going to fuck your arse, so pick the one who'll use the nicest lube.

MIXONE
16th May 2014, 11:56
make sure to vote for someone. they're all going to fuck your arse, so pick the one who'll use the nicest lube.

Too fucking true.
It's election year so prepare to be lied to and mislead by the polies wanting your vote.

gjm
16th May 2014, 15:10
Too fucking true.
It's election year so prepare to be lied to and mislead by the polies wanting your vote.

As opposed to being misled by the polies who are already in charge?
More lies for your buck in election year! :-)

biketimus_prime
16th May 2014, 15:12
That is so damn depressing... Almost outweighs the cheaper gas and free parking benefits.

R650R
16th May 2014, 17:25
I've already asked the question and they aren't going to change for business vehicles or motorcycles, if anything both categories can expect increases. It's private motor vehicles that are going to get a big drop.

I was talking about the levy businesses and self employed pay and deduct from employee wages not car rego as the employer levies are part of the cuts too.

James Deuce
16th May 2014, 18:07
That's good.

Swoop
16th May 2014, 20:33
Once your bike hits 40 it becomes a lot safer then at $117 .
40?
Is that miles per hour or kilometres per hour? :scratch:

I think I'll be sticking with the 100% discount on the levy. Thank you Nick Smith, you have saved me a LOT of money on rego costs over the last few years! :clap::first:

Ocean1
16th May 2014, 20:41
I think I'll be sticking with the 100% discount on the levy. Thank you Nick Smith, you have saved me a LOT of money on rego costs over the last few years! :clap::first:

Aye. I promised him I wouldn't be paying a cent more than I had before the levy increase.

I like to under promise and over deliver...