19th May 2014, 19:04
Who's doing it?

Kickaha
19th May 2014, 19:13
I would if I had something to ride in it

What classes will run?

Skunk
19th May 2014, 19:16
I have some early info that says classics only. I understand it will be pre 72 classes.

If it ain't smokin', it's broken.

nodrog
19th May 2014, 19:21
I'm trying to source more info, but from what I've been told its pre'63 solos and pre '76 sidecars.

If anybody has more info (a map of the track would be helpful for a start) post it up here.

Skunk
19th May 2014, 19:27
PM sent

Mental Trousers
19th May 2014, 19:39
Awww, I really need to get my BSA going

jellywrestler
19th May 2014, 19:59
I'm trying to source more info, but from what I've been told its pre'63 solos and pre '76 sidecars.

If anybody has more info (a map of the track would be helpful for a start) post it up here.

take a look at the promo videos that came out a few months ago, funny stuff is an understatement!!

Skunk
19th May 2014, 20:01
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/19/4a3a9u2u.jpg

nodrog
19th May 2014, 20:06

I think you need a windows update on your google maps bro.

BIG DOUG
19th May 2014, 20:10
when is it

Mental Trousers
19th May 2014, 20:18
Wicked. That's a 16k race course.

Skunk
19th May 2014, 20:18
I think you need a windows update on your google maps bro.

Ha. The organiser is based in the 70's so everything is black and white photocopies. :)

nodrog
19th May 2014, 20:28
Wicked. That's a 16k race course.

And its 3 laps

jellywrestler
19th May 2014, 21:09
And its 3 laps

and most of that long straight ish bit on the right is downhill, it'll be scary to say the least, late january doug

sidecar bob
19th May 2014, 21:21
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/19/4a3a9u2u.jpg

Ben Spies method. Its a chocolate bunny rabbit with a tiny peepee.

sidecar bob
19th May 2014, 21:26
Id like to do it on a solo, but my pre '63 Norton will probably do half a lap on methanol before it runs out.
My pre '76 BMW solo racer on the other hand will do a couple of hundred km on a tank of petrol.
I do hope they open it up to pre '76.

jellywrestler
19th May 2014, 23:40

they run patea nine times from 1948 till 55 and i'm reasonably sure they didn't run sidecars. Sidecars started at the Cemetery circuit in 52 so they were around and were always a big drawcard and after having ridden myself round the course i'm sure they didn't have them there as it was simply too narrow over the bulk of the road, if not all, to allow passing.

whatever happens there will get my support but will only be fast laps rather than racing.
they tried in later years to have staggered starts like at the T.T., this was in an effort to appeal to the spectators. any sidecar 'race' for this one would pretty well only work if they did the same and had careful handicapping to ensure it all worked well.

tri boy
20th May 2014, 04:32
Long track, nostalgia racing in Patea= WINNER:banana::headbang:
This has to be a Kiwi classic in the making.:cool:
Add a camping site and its a slam dunk in my books.
Take it International Patea.:2thumbsup

Pumba
20th May 2014, 06:06
Just because I was curious http://goo.gl/maps/9DokC

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Otauto+Rd&amp;daddr=-39.70523,174.5405475+to:Otauto+Rd&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FS NEov0duupmCg%3BFXIlov0dA0dnCilff6MlFWYVbTFAY6QGYe8 AEw%3BFdFCov0dDOpmCg&amp;sll=-39.701359,174.517736&amp;sspn=0.010318,0.019784&amp;mra=dm e&amp;mrsp=2&amp;sz=16&amp;via=1&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-39.701359,174.517736&amp;spn=0.010318,0.019784&amp;t=m&amp;out put=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Otauto+Rd&amp;daddr=-39.70523,174.5405475+to:Otauto+Rd&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FS NEov0duupmCg%3BFXIlov0dA0dnCilff6MlFWYVbTFAY6QGYe8 AEw%3BFdFCov0dDOpmCg&amp;sll=-39.701359,174.517736&amp;sspn=0.010318,0.019784&amp;mra=dm e&amp;mrsp=2&amp;sz=16&amp;via=1&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=-39.701359,174.517736&amp;spn=0.010318,0.019784&amp;t=m" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Shaun Harris
20th May 2014, 08:53
ah Patea my home town, done many many laps around that track over the years as a kid with my father on a Norton Commando 750

Shaun Harris
20th May 2014, 10:32
Does any one know who the organiser is?

Skunk
20th May 2014, 11:22
Yup. Got it at home.

sidecar bob
20th May 2014, 13:07
whatever happens there will get my support but will only be fast laps rather than racing.

That was all I had in mind too.
Riding quickly so as to get to the after do function early is how I would approach it.

pritch
20th May 2014, 13:20
This seems like a cunning plan. In the fifties there was road racing at Tikorangi and in the sixties there was racing at (the old) Bell Block Airport. Modern bikes would be just too fast for the narrow roads and the box thorn and barbed wire safety barriers. The machinery of the day might be different though. I hope it works for them.

jellywrestler
20th May 2014, 21:22
This seems like a cunning plan. In the fifties there was road racing at Tikorangi and in the sixties there was racing at (the old) Bell Block Airport. Modern bikes would be just too fast for the narrow roads and the box thorn and barbed wire safety barriers. The machinery of the day might be different though. I hope it works for them.

you could stand a bike upright in the drains round a lot of it and they would still be below road surface level...

sidecar bob
21st May 2014, 12:36
you could stand a bike upright in the drains round a lot of it and they would still be below road surface level...

So a whole heap safer than the I.O.M with its stone walls everywhere then?

Shaun Harris
21st May 2014, 13:36

sudden stops hurt whether it be into a concrete wall or a dirt bank dude, or even a motorbike lying in a narrow narrow road, but nothing will ever be perfect when it comes to street racing.

sidecar bob
21st May 2014, 14:56
sudden stops hurt whether it be into a concrete wall or a dirt bank dude, or even a motorbike lying in a narrow narrow road, but nothing will ever be perfect when it comes to street racing.

I understand through a third party that MNZ think this event is a terrible idea & if that is the case I can totally see their point.
Possibly it could be run as a rally with a demonstration of historic TT racing.
Im all for a brisk pootle on a closed country road, followed by an evening of refreshments with like minded individuals.

pritch
21st May 2014, 15:11
I understand through a third party that MNZ think this event is a terrible idea

I know, don't call it a race. Start the entrants at ten second intervals and call it a Tourist Trophy. Oh hang on...

scrivy
21st May 2014, 16:02
Im all for a brisk pootle on a closed country road, followed by an evening of refreshments with like minded individuals.

A brisk pootle..................??? WTF??? I've never seen you run or walk fast in your life.....!!:cool:
BUT.......... I have however seen you enjoy an evening of refreshments with like minded individuals!!!!;)

Skunk
21st May 2014, 16:51
Neville Clarkson is the organiser. I have given his details to nodrog and Moto-Dynamix. I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

If it ain't smokin' - it's broken.

jellywrestler
21st May 2014, 16:55
I know, don't call it a race. Start the entrants at ten second intervals and call it a Tourist Trophy. Oh hang on...

they started the patea races in the early days as a mass start then later on did exactly that to enhance the spectators veiw as it was a long wait till they came round each lap

jellywrestler
21st May 2014, 16:59

nowhere near as safe as the IOM TT course at all. at least that has been developed over a hundred years and they have learnt to make it as safe as they can. the Patea circuit is not side at all, a country road with cowshit and all and huge culverts. Robert Cochrane said he heard it would take a million dollars to make it safe, there is absolutley no quantifying any costs on this an it's stupid to even mention that.
I'm looking forward to it but it will only really be a chance to have a good fast country ride for most, rather than a race. Give them a chance to run it as such and we may well have a great event over the years.

nodrog
21st May 2014, 17:09
...... Robert Cochrane said he heard it would take a million dollars to make it safe......

Yeah but 75% of that is for him.

jellywrestler
21st May 2014, 17:17
Yeah but 75% of that is for him.

you're terrible Muriel!

tri boy
21st May 2014, 19:41
Possibly it could be run as a rally with a demonstration of historic TT racing.

Kinda like Broadford in Oz maybe?
Include static displays/rally site/stalls etc

sidecar bob
21st May 2014, 21:18
Robert Cochrane said he heard it would take a million dollars to make it safe

That will be based on last years figures & may be out by up to as much as 50 per cent.
(I only have the event programmes he concocts to go off for that, which he also seems to pull out of his arse)

nodrog
20th July 2014, 18:31
So anybody entered yet?

swarfie
20th July 2014, 19:12
So anybody entered yet?

May not enter the Matchy (need a 200L drum of Methanol on the sidecar deck to do race distance) but might enter my Jawa Briggo. Fired it up today for the first time since building new crankcases and a new lightweight crankshaft for it. Sounds great and revs like a modern 450 moto-x engine. :eek: Crank is 5kg lighter than the original speedway one!! :niceone: whether that transforms into more HP will remain to be seen though.

Kickaha
20th July 2014, 19:31
Fired it up today for the first time since building new crankcases and a new lightweight crankshaft for it. Sounds great and revs like a modern 450 moto-x engine. :eek: Crank is 5kg lighter than the original speedway one!!

You just cant leave anything alone can you?

swarfie
20th July 2014, 19:34
You just cant leave anything alone can you?

NO;););)never

Shaun Harris
30th July 2014, 07:18
I have spoken directly to the guy trying to organise this and read all his paper work he sent to me about it, I would not even go there to spectate. I know his intensions are good, but that is where is ends

nodrog
31st July 2014, 17:43
I have spoken directly to the guy trying to organise this and read all his paper work he sent to me about it, I would not even go there to spectate. I know his intensions are good, but that is where is ends

why?

skippa1
31st July 2014, 18:33

why?

Kickaha
31st July 2014, 19:08
I would not even go there to spectate.
Good, we wont miss you

Shaun Harris
31st July 2014, 19:56
why?

If you heard the conversation you would understand very easily yourself, but to cut a very long story short, he really just sees it as a party ( But believes it will be run well) and has no real concept of the potentuall real dangers involved and if it was to happen the major negative for racing would get from it.

skippa1
31st July 2014, 20:46
If you heard the conversation you would understand very easily yourself, but to cut a very long story short, he really just sees it as a party ( But believes it will be run well) and has no real concept of the potentuall real dangers involved and if it was to happen the major negative for racing would get from it.
Gossip much?

nodrog
31st July 2014, 21:10
You should enter Shaun, maybe another knock on your head would stop you talking bullshit.

Kickaha
31st July 2014, 22:07
You should enter Shaun, maybe another knock on your head would stop you talking bullshit.

Noddydog the eternal optimist :facepalm:

Shaun Harris
1st August 2014, 02:15

did before hand so why change now

sidecar bob
28th October 2014, 19:53
We got an entry pack for this event from the organiser at Hampton this weekend.
The track will be available for observation on the 27th December. It's just a short drive from wanganui so we will definitely be checking it out.
It would seem a shame not to give them a chance at least.
Have to add, it's the most bizarre entry pack I have ever received in 26 years of racing. Maybe nodrog could explain.

old rig
29th October 2014, 09:11
We got an entry pack for this event from the organiser at Hampton this weekend.
The track will be available for observation on the 27th December. It's just a short drive from wanganui so we will definitely be checking it out.
It would seem a shame not to give them a chance at least.
Have to add, it's the most bizarre entry pack I have ever received in 26 years of racing. Maybe nodrog could explain.

I,M guessing that in the pack there is a small fluffy stuffed toy

sidecar bob
29th October 2014, 09:21
I,M guessing that in the pack there is a small fluffy stuffed toy

No, there was actually a mental health release form & a number of mantra's & verses etc.

old rig
29th October 2014, 09:36
No, there was actually a mental health release form & a number of mantra's & verses etc.

well you know who that is for don't ya

nodrog
29th October 2014, 09:47
well you know who that is for don't ya

That's why he is so anti the event.

old rig
29th October 2014, 09:51
That's why he is so anti the event.

does the mantra's & verses confuse him

just tell him that "you chant this on the way round and all will be good"

nodrog
29th October 2014, 17:59
Our fridge
Who holds our beers
Fisher and Pykel be thy name
Thy members come
Thy will be done
On a breathaliser
As it is
An offence
Give us today
Our Daily beer
And forgive us
For being pissed bastards
As we forgive these pissed bastards
Leaning against us
Now, and till the hour
Of closing

nodrog
3rd November 2014, 19:37
take a look at the promo videos that came out a few months ago, funny stuff is an understatement!!

chuck that video you took up, so I can see it while I'm sober, ish.