PDA

View Full Version : newbie question about riding gears, dont laugh!

Vilicus
5th September 2005, 17:43
i am getting a bike soon so i feel necessary to ask some basic questions:

how do i carry the jacket, pants, gloves and helmet after i get off my bike?
i guess i cant just go to malls in riding cloths and holding a helmet with me.
and how about in hot summer? am i going to feel hot in a heavy jacket?

Thank you for answering the question...

:ride:

James Deuce
5th September 2005, 17:47
How would you feel spending six weeks in a burns ward having skin grafts because you didn't wear the gear?

Carrying gear and getting hot in Summer is part of the motorcycling experience. Don't make unnecessary, crippling, disfiguring injuries part of the experience as well.

Vilicus
5th September 2005, 17:52
but how do i carry them?

1. get off from the bike
2. go to a toilet and get changed
3. put them into a bag and carry it with me
4. shopping
5. go to the toilet and get changed back
6. go home?

is that a right process?

James Deuce
5th September 2005, 17:59
Whatever works for you man. I have a locker at work where I leave some work clothes and get changed there (obviously not at my desk :) ) and chuck the gear in the locker during the day.

You do get used to existing in your riding gear. I've just got some ankle high touring boots that look like black shoes under work trousers and I've ordered some Draggin' jeans so I can have some riding gear that looks like smart casual gear, but means I don't have to "defrock" whenever I go somewhere. I have a helmet bag so I can carry the Helmet easily and it won't get marked by everyday small collisions with furniture or shins.

You'll figure it out.

dawnrazor
5th September 2005, 18:10
i am getting a bike soon so i feel necessary to ask some basic questions:

how do i carry the jacket, pants, gloves and helmet after i get off my bike?
i guess i cant just go to malls in riding cloths and holding a helmet with me.
and how about in hot summer? am i going to feel hot in a heavy jacket?

Thank you for answering the question...

:ride:

most folks will have two sets of bike gear, winter stuff and summer stuff, or at least jackets with termal liners that you can take out. I've got light weight leather gloves for summer and lined gloves for longer colder journeys. Most bikes will have a hook that you can clip the D-ring of you helmet strap into an then secure, don't do this if your out doors and its likely to rain or if your leaving the bike unattended for along time.
No one in a mall is going to stop you for walking around with a helmet and in biker gear, thats called social profiling and its illegal.
If you haven't bought your gear already, i'd stay away from the cheap leather jackets and pants, you are better off with cordora stuff, i've got some spidi stuff that wasn't that expensive and it perfect for the summer, has kevlar protection and all. Also if you can afford it, don't cheap out on the gear, the good stuff will last forever and in most cases you get what you pay for.
You might need to invest in a good waterproff back pack to keep your stuff in and keep wet gear, there are ones you can get specificially for bikes that will hold a helmet and jacket. I use mine for a spare pair of shoes.
Basic fact of life of biking, it comes with baggage. its alot to factor in when your buying a bike as well, but as the absolute basics you need a GOOD helmet, GOOD gloves, GOOD boots (not neccessairly proper biker boots although these are ideal 'cus they offer you ankle protection - even doc martens are better then nowt) and a good jacket with some sort of armour, a back protector is a good idea to. Lastly look at "draggin jeans", they do these jeans that look like joe publics, except they have kevlar in them and offer lots of protection in the case of a fall.

hope this helps
:Punk:

crashe
5th September 2005, 18:10
Mate, it is just as easy to wear the jacket or throw it over your arm....
Use the helmet to carry stuff in when shopping.

Or get a big enough backpack and take that with you and when you get off your bike stuff your jacket into the bag.... You will get used to wearing your pants around the malls... after all you arent gonna be there all day are you.
As its a pain to take the pants on an off when you go into a mall for a short time... don't worry people are used to seeing us bikers wearing all the stuff, when they are walking around in a t-shirt and shorts in the summer.

Buy a jacket that you can take the liner out of in the summer months then you wont get too hot...

BUT Never leave the jacket/pants on your bike cos they wont be there when you get back to your bike.

Ask any questions you like ... someone on here will answer you...

sunhuntin
5th September 2005, 18:33
crashe has it. i just wear my leathers while in town [sometimes take the jacket off and carry it if its hot, or store in the top box] keys are looped through the strap on the helmet [does up with velcro] and gloves go inside helmet or jacket pocket. only time i take my leathers off while in town are at the gym and work, and then the pants, jacket, gloves and sunglasses go in the top box, helmet on the helmet lock and keys in the storage shed. only time id consider leaving my leathers with the bike is at a biker rally, and then only if i can see them at all times.

Drum
5th September 2005, 18:36
A lot of bike shops also have starter kits, which include all the gear: Helmet, Jacket gloves, pants and boots. You can exchange some of the cheaper stuff for better gear if you want to pay a bit more. Also, if youre buying a bike from a bike shop you should expect at least a 10% discount on the gear, maybe even more (double?) if the bikes brand new. Theres always the option of a lockable top box for your helmet, though not sure if these are rated as "cool".

froggyfrenchman
5th September 2005, 18:41
winter... take off helmet, jam gloves into it, undo jacket and leave on
summer... gloves in helmet, jacket thrown over sholder.

Youll figure out what works for you.. i wear work boots everywhere, including riding smaller trips, so theyre not a problem. My fiancee craays a bag to put all her gear into.

Everyone does somethin diferent, as long as youre wearin all the gear when on the bike it dsnt matter how you do it

James Deuce
5th September 2005, 18:53
Sorry to buttin there crashe, but don't put stuff inside your helmet. The lining in there (not the fabric, the polystyrene) is designed to absorb impacts and protect you from concussion and worse. Damage that and you risk injury or worse.

For those of you who putt your gloves in there (and I admit I still do this as a conditioned habit) the carbon fibre and metal bits and bobs can damage the liner too, plus they have bits of stinky dead bugs on them and then you go and put your head in there. ewwww.

cowboyz
5th September 2005, 19:08
while at work I have a locker that I keep everything in.
I don't do the town shopping thing at all so I never really thought about it. What do you shop for when your going home on a bike anyway? Its not like you have a boot to put the stuff you brought in?

crashe
5th September 2005, 19:15
while at work I have a locker that I keep everything in.
I don't do the town shopping thing at all so I never really thought about it. What do you shop for when your going home on a bike anyway? Its not like you have a boot to put the stuff you brought in?

I do a lot of shopping when I am out an about on my bike.

Foodshopping goes into my backpack... lou paper strapped to the pillion seat.
Clothes shopping is fun stripping on an off clothes and then you have to put all ya riding gear back on... then the new stuff goes into my backpack.

In fact my backpack gets lots of use.
I tend to take my backpack with me everywhere just incase I grab something and need to bring that item home...

sunhuntin
5th September 2005, 19:50
i put my shopping in the top box. i often have a backpack with me [gym gear] and always carry stretchy cords to bungee stuff to the brackets if needed. dont often buy more than i can carry....what doesnt fit in the box gets bungeed on or else shoved down my jacket. i buy while considering space at the same time, so dont buy a trolley load at a time.

one guy at work i know has a huge backpack with him at all times. this can be slipped over the sissy bar or on his back. he usually stuffs bags of sugar, spuds or loo rolls under the sissy and bungees them on, then stuffs the pack with whatever else, and any excess he puts in shopping bags and ties to the backpack. really very educational watching him at times, lol.

w have lockers at work too, but they are about a 10 min walk from where i work and park the bike, so its easier to leave it all with the bike and safer too. the storage shed gets locked, so in foul weather my lid can go in there, s we arent allowed to carry anything bigger than a handbag through the store and have to leave it at reception. not my idea of safe. lol.

Ixion
5th September 2005, 19:58
I do shopping when on the bike. I wear either a Cordura or leather jacket, and cordura leggings. Boots are either calf length work boots or riding boots. I wear light "ordinary " trousers under the leggings.

So: Quick trip to the supermarket - helmet off, gloves in helmet, keys clipped to D ring. Leave jacket and leggings on, do shopping , stow stuff . On BMW . 'tis easy, just throw shopping in luggage. On Li'l Ratty, I have a back pack cargo netted to the seat and shopping goes in that.

If it's a more formal social occasion, dinner etc, then I remove leggings, and stow either in luggage or backpack. If I'm wearing leather jacket I'll usually leave it on, it looks OK for any but the most formal occassions. If fabric jacket, in the luggage or backpack. Trousers over the boots, they look like shoes. Take the backpack with me (usually I'll take the BMW for such occasions though - OK it's a bit of a special case for a bike)

Never had any issues carrying the helmet, I'd have some words if anyone questioned it.

If you wear light trousers under leggings you don't need to go to a toilet to get changed.

Vilicus
5th September 2005, 20:08
i put my shopping in the top box. i often have a backpack with me [gym gear] and always carry stretchy cords to bungee stuff to the brackets if needed. dont often buy more than i can carry....what doesnt fit in the box gets bungeed on or else shoved down my jacket. i buy while considering space at the same time, so dont buy a trolley load at a time.

one guy at work i know has a huge backpack with him at all times. this can be slipped over the sissy bar or on his back. he usually stuffs bags of sugar, spuds or loo rolls under the sissy and bungees them on, then stuffs the pack with whatever else, and any excess he puts in shopping bags and ties to the backpack. really very educational watching him at times, lol.

w have lockers at work too, but they are about a 10 min walk from where i work and park the bike, so its easier to leave it all with the bike and safer too. the storage shed gets locked, so in foul weather my lid can go in there, s we arent allowed to carry anything bigger than a handbag through the store and have to leave it at reception. not my idea of safe. lol.

thanks everyone! some of your answers are really helpful and inspiring, btw: sunhuntin, is that a GN250 shows on your pic? is that a nice bike?

i am thinking about getting either a 2005 GN250 or a 2004 GSX250 for my first bike, GN costs 3000, and GSX costs 6000. which one is more practical for my situation? (little riding experience, but thirsty for a good looking performance bike and the most important: definitely want to live longer than a week!)

crashe
5th September 2005, 20:19
GN250 is a great bike for a learner...

Do a 'search' on here and you will find stuff written about them.

There are heaps of KBers riding the mighty GN250

sunhuntin
5th September 2005, 20:24
yep, thats "Pup", shes an 86. need to get a photo of her with the top box...thats an oldish pic.

she rides fine during the day, but rather enjoys farting along and then pulling a slight wheelstand in the middle of mainstreet on the way home from work, no matter how long i let her warm up. seems she likes day riding over night, lol. she pulls ok. not sure how any other 250 would handle, shes all ive ever ridden solo. best advice is to test ride. she was my brothers, and then dads, now shes mine. shell go back to dad when i advance to a bigger bike.

a friend has a new GN. beautiful bike too....much prettier than mine, of course, but not necessarily a better bike.

IXION: where did you get your cargo net? im assuming is stretchy? been looking for one, but all i can find are the ones for trailers/utes.

crashe
5th September 2005, 20:31
cargo nets... go to your local bike shop they sell them.

sunhuntin
5th September 2005, 20:34
cargo nets... go to your local bike shop they sell them.

had a look at super cheap, and they had nothing. will go have a look on tm

Waylander
5th September 2005, 20:35
Just wear your kit mate, shows that you are proud to be a biker.

Ixion
5th September 2005, 21:26

IXION: where did you get your cargo net? im assuming is stretchy? been looking for one, but all i can find are the ones for trailers/utes.

I got it off Trademe. Yes, its stretchy,has 6 hooks to fasten to the bike , about the right size to cover a back pack on the rear half of the seat. Tis quite good, much better than wearing the back pack. And some stuff I don't even bother putting in the pack, just shove under the net.

Here's on on Trademe now, different trader, but looks much the same .
Here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Other/auction-34771739.htm)

sunhuntin
5th September 2005, 21:31
cheers for that, ixion. found one for $5, lol. glad to be getting one, definatly handy things!!

*damn glenn with his decker and lots of storage space! im too young for a geezer glide!* p/t

Pancakes
7th September 2005, 13:45
i am thinking about getting either a 2005 GN250 or a 2004 GSX250 for my first bike, GN costs 3000, and GSX costs 6000. which one is more practical for my situation? (little riding experience, but thirsty for a good looking performance bike and the most important: definitely want to live longer than a week!)
The length of your riding career is 99% up to you and 1% out of control. Get a ten year old gn and when you're done learning sell it for the same amount and buy what you really want, they're really easy to pick up basic mantainance and mechanics on too.

vifferman
7th September 2005, 14:00
It wasn't a laughable question, and it's good that you thought ahead. What you do with your gear when not riding depends on circumstances, and it can sometimes be a real pain!

I commute to work, and it's easy, because I just get changed into my work clothes when I arrive, put my leather trousers in my backpack, and my boots under my desk. When going elsewhere, I just have to wear my gear, and sometimes it's hot and awkward. But I put up with that so I don't get damaged if/when I crash.
If it's a real pain to you carrying your stuff around, you could invest in a top-box, so you can leave your helmet, gloves, wet-weather gear etc. on the bike.
Alternatively, some bike luggage (like the Ventura stuff I use) has back straps so you can stuff your gear in to carry it when off the bike. You can also get helmet bags, some of which are just soft cloth bags with drawstrings, and others are proper purpose-made bags with handles and storage for other things.

Jim2 - I always stuff my gloves in my helmet, except when they're wet. AGVs have special glove-resistant foam in them made out of concrete or spent uranium, or recycled frigates or summat.

Coyote
7th September 2005, 14:13
This is the setup I have for school:
-Leave gloves inside compartment underneath pillion seat
-Attach the helmet to the helmet lock (helmet strap goes around a hook, pillion seat locks it in place)
-Wear my draggins, I got the black chinos so they go with my school uniform. They don't have any armor but you can buy some knee braces that go underneath them. The Kevlar is pretty good for winter, but hot in summer as you walk around
-Have a seperate bag for my jacket which I ask a teacher to look after or carry around with me. I would wear the jacket if it wasn't for the stupid school rules saying you can only wear a black or dark blue jacket. I knew about this but chose a red jacket because its bright and cagers are more likely to see you
-Boots a just wear around school anyway, despite them not being lace ups and getting greif from the uniform nazis that patrol the school grounds looking for prey (like un-tucked shirts and sneakers)

Hope that is of some help

sefer
7th September 2005, 16:49
If your after a cargo net try the two dollar shop too. I'm not vouching for the quality of them, but hey for $2 there probably worth a look :)

As for me I do pretty much what everyone else has said, gloves in helmet, helmet in helmet bag (untill I lost it last week! my backpack zip split open on the way out Rolleston and I didn't realise untill I got there. Could have been worse thou, I also had a $150 check in my pack that didn't blow out), or sometimes if I'm at uni or college I'll lock it to my bike.
My jacket stays on if I've nowhere to put it (and it's a kawa green and white one, so it stands out if I'm at the mall :) ). Everything else goes in my backpack (which I carry 90% of the time), or I've got a little shoulder bag under my seat for when I don't have it.

Potzman
11th September 2005, 21:09
Got one of those neck strap things where the bike keys just clip onto while I'm wondering round off my bike, deffinately wont lose them there :)

Wolf
20th September 2005, 22:59
I wear cordura jacket and leggings, Sidi boots, usually winter weight gloves (have summer weight ones as well) and full faced helmet.

Usually I just unzip the jacket and wander around with my gloves inside my helmet and the helmet slid over my forearm.

I shed jacket and leggings and boots at work - I keep shoes at work to change into so I don't wear out my boots (have occasionally kept the boots on all day to no ill effect - except to family later that day when I took them off but :whocares: ) - my office is secure enough I can keep my riding gear there.

Once ended up going to dinner at a flash Auckland restaurant with our CEO and some important visitors (don't ask me why he invited me, but it was last-minute and I was unprepared for a social event) so I parked up the bike, stowed my gloves in my helmet (on the floor by my chair), draped my jacket over the back of the chair and sat down at the table wearing my leggings and boots. Then again, I'm one of those "take me as I am" kinda guys and I figured that with my beard untrimmed and long hair, merely turning up at table in armour was the least of my breeches of etiquette. No one seemed to give a damn - like they were going to say, "Oh you should be riding a motorcycle on the open road in a tux in case you get invited out"?

I wear jeans or work trousers under the leggings and have no worries about sliding out of my leggings in public if I want to look "presentable" - backpack gets kind of bulky with both leggings and jacket in it and often it's less hassle just wearing the stuff. Trousers can be quickly untucked from the boots and slid over the outside to make them appear more like black shoes for the purpose of entering licenced premises with draconian dress codes.

Years back, when my riding kit was jeans, army-surplus Greatcoat and gumboots, a friend of mine and I decided to partake of a late night coffee at a rather (as it turned out when we sashayed in) posh cafe - I really felt thankful I'd pulled my jeans cuffs over the outside of the gumboots so I didn't look too "rustic". We still looked rather out of place.

Even in the heat of summer I'm used to wandering around armoured from the waist down, helmet on my arm and jacket either draped over a shoulder or worn open

Do spend good money on decent wet weather gear and armour - it will increase your longevity in more ways than one.

Decent wet weather gear will improve your riding experience so you won't feel so inclined to give up in winter, the padding and armour will protect you should you spill, and being warm and dry rather than cold, wet and miserable may well prevent you having an accident in the first place.

danb
26th September 2005, 20:31
I have the spool brand jacket and pants - They don’t look to out of place when going shopping etc (nor could I give a dam what people think). Shove my gloves in my helmet and open up my jacket if it gets to hot or take it off completely.
I haven’t experienced summer temperatures in the gear so im not sure how hot it will get.
When im at Tech I leave my gear on all the time and carry my helmet and tank bag with my books in it etc around.
As for work I have a pair of shoes at work and I carry with me my sweatshirt and pants (or store them at work in a locker) on the bike to get changed into.

vagrant
1st October 2005, 03:19
Wear your gear and be proud. :niceone:
I wear a 2 pce suit with sliders etc. I get some funny looks wandering round Newmarket or the supermarket but I don't care. I am comfortable and feel safer than wearing jeans!

Korea
1st October 2005, 03:53
Only one tip about riding gear:
Summer or no, don't go out without your gloves!
As a reflex, knee-jerk reaction, hands are the first thing you put out when you go down...
...and road rash ain't so nice.

Jantar
1st October 2005, 03:57
Only one tip about riding gear:
Summer or no, don't go out without your gloves!
As a reflex, knee-jerk reaction, hands are the first thing you put out when you go down...
...and road rash ain't so nice.

Damn good advice. I even go one further... NO Bare Skin at any time on a bike.

sunhuntin
1st October 2005, 13:14
saw a guy yesterday, not sure what he was on, a sprotbike is all i can identify it as...full face helmet, nice big protective jacket, then denim shorts and sneakers. :slap: was too far away to see if he was wearing gloves or not.
i rode without my gloves last night for the first time in months, simply cos it was late and no cars anywhere, but after seein that pic i dont think ill be doin that again in a hurry! :eek5:

rfc85
1st October 2005, 15:52
rode without gloves back in 76 and still have the scars from the were the tarseal ripped my palms open when i hit the deck-- always wear gloves and other protective gear

texmo
1st October 2005, 16:24
Dont wear riding gear! didnt you know chicks dig scars?

sunhuntin
2nd October 2005, 13:24
yeh, but do guys dig scars on chicks? :dodge:

onearmedbandit
2nd October 2005, 13:35
I for one would never leave a helmet attached to the helmet lock, not that my bike has one anyway. Heard too many stories of helmet straps being cut to get the helmet off and also people finding unwanted 'goodies' in their helmets when coming back.

Even though I can only use one arm, I still carry my helmet with me where ever i go, no matter how far or close. It's just part of being a rider. Same as having to go shopping in a 2pce suit with boots etc. Couldn't give a fuck what people think, how hot or inconvienent it is, the gear is made to protect my ass when riding and I'm sure not going to give that level of protection up just because it's too hot.

BTW, bought a 'cool suit' while I was in Japan. Anyone used one of these before? Those that don't know what I'm talking about they are a mesh style under garment worn to pull sweat away from your body on hot days (you wear them under your leathers). I used to hate going for a ride with cotton shirts on as more than likely you'd come back with a wet clammy shirt. Now I just need some hot weather to try it out. Got one for wearing under your helmet as well.

Wolf
2nd October 2005, 22:21
BTW, bought a 'cool suit' while I was in Japan. Anyone used one of these before? Those that don't know what I'm talking about they are a mesh style under garment worn to pull sweat away from your body on hot days (you wear them under your leathers). I used to hate going for a ride with cotton shirts on as more than likely you'd come back with a wet clammy shirt. Now I just need some hot weather to try it out. Got one for wearing under your helmet as well.
Is it one of the reactive "Phase change" material suits that actually regulates your body temperature or one that just keeps your temperature more stable by getting the sweat away from your body?

Found a link for reactive fabric suits (here (http://www.rscycles.com/product_pages/garments/coolstuff/coolstuff.htm) )that looks interesting.

Another alternative I found was GlacierTek's Cool Vest (here) but you have to "recharge" the cooling packs in cold water. The Phase change material sounds a bit more practical - if it works.

The CoolStuff garments are also long-sleeved and you can get the pants as well, as opposed to just the vest from GlacierTek.

2much
2nd October 2005, 22:54
Stow your gloves under the seat and either use the helmet lock, or chain it to the bike, a dog choker chain and small padlock is perfect (this also avoids that problem of cut straps Onearmedbandit mentioned).

As for the GN250 vs GSX250, I've ridden both. If your only going to be commuting and covering reasonably short distances then the GN is perfect. And the GN will cost you less when you drop it (NB: i said "when" and not "if"). However, if you're planning on some decent weekend rides and a bit of knee-down action then the GSX would probably be better. I covered 12000 in a year in my GSX including trips to dorkland, the Naki and around the Coromandel.

Before anyone has a cry... I'm sure the GN is capable of this, I just think the GSX is more appropriate.

On a side note, also consider a CBR/ZXR/GSXR, etc..... bit more difficult to learn on but you won't grow out of it as quickly.... If you do cover a bit of distance you'll find the limits of the GN or GSX rather quickly.