PDA

View Full Version : New toy for Me!

franco
22nd January 2004, 14:55
Yehar. At last. After so many years of riding (on and "off" since the age of 15) I finally got my a into g, went through the whole graduated licensing programme thing and got my full licence just before xmas. So you know what that means, aye? Yep, ditching the Baby Bandit (250cc) in for bigger bike.

I've decided on an in-between bike for now - a SV650. I did try out the SV1000, and the XJR1300 (I like nekid). However, opted for the 650 for $ reasons (having recently upgraded the car from Legacy GT to Altezza).

And the Bandit? Well I've convinced my lady to give the whole bike thing a go. She got her handling skills cert last sat :sweatdrop

Picking up the bike tomorrow...how exciting !! :rolleyes:

Hitcher
22nd January 2004, 15:00
Good for you!

I am an unashamed naked bike fan. I liked the look of the XJR1300 and test rode this together with the CB1300, Suzuki Bandit 1200 and the Kawasaki ZRX1200R. I guess I should have ridden the Ducati Monster for sake of completeness. There was only one winner in this comparison (in my humble opinion) -- and it's parked in front of my house!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

mangell6
22nd January 2004, 20:00
Franco - move up slowly, use the track days, and enjoy the little racer.

Hitcher - There is a naked missing from your list, beats a ZRX1200R hands down in bhp. :)

Mike

SPman
22nd January 2004, 20:15
Hitcher - There is a naked missing from your list, beats a ZRX1200R hands down in bhp. :)

Mike
You mean the Z1000 :rolleyes:

mangell6
22nd January 2004, 20:26
You mean the Z1000 :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hitcher
23rd January 2004, 08:09

Mike
OOh, you've piqued my interest... Do tell! It's not just about horsepower either (although its a lovely thing to have on tap...)
:2thumbsup

franco
23rd January 2004, 08:14

Mike

Indeed. Have been taking my time (did my learner lic about 4 years ago!), so I'm a fairly patient soul. I did a track day with a crowd called Stay Upright up at manfield some time ago - they were the bomb.

The current plan is to stick with the SV650 for the next couple of yrs, then look at something bigger after that. Hopefully by then the lil lady will be keen to move up to something bigger too!

The naked style bikes definately push my buttons. I do like looking at the faired bikes too (theres a Triumph Daytona 600 on display at Reading Cinemas at the mo, promoting the movie Torque). But I always find myself gravitating back to naked styles. I guess it's a matter of personal taste aye. For now, I have my eye on the new Honda CB1300 (the one with fuel inj) so hopefully they will be better understood/ road proven and available 2nd hand (ie $cheaper) a couple of years from now.

Hey, that kinda talk is for the future. For now I just knows I'm gonna enjoy the SV. Watch out 'taka's !

Hitcher
23rd January 2004, 08:25
Indeed. Have been taking my time (did my learner lic about 4 years ago!), so I'm a fairly patient soul. I did a track day with a crowd called Stay Upright up at manfield some time ago - they were the bomb.

The current plan is to stick with the SV650 for the next couple of yrs, then look at something bigger after that. Hopefully by then the lil lady will be keen to move up to something bigger too!

The naked style bikes definately push my buttons. I do like looking at the faired bikes too (theres a Triumph Daytona 600 on display at Reading Cinemas at the mo, promoting the movie Torque). But I always find myself gravitating back to naked styles. I guess it's a matter of personal taste aye. For now, I have my eye on the new Honda CB1300 (the one with fuel inj) so hopefully they will be better understood/ road proven and available 2nd hand (ie $cheaper) a couple of years from now.

Hey, that kinda talk is for the future. For now I just knows I'm gonna enjoy the SV. Watch out 'taka's !
The CB1300 certainly is a classy piece of kit --but only in the black metallic. The red/white variant looks shite. Like most of the big nekkids it doesn't feel so big once you're on board. It is entirely predictable and a nice ride, but I didn't find it as "engaging" as the XJR1300 or the Zrex. Sweet typically-Honda gearbox. It hasn't got much underseat storage and the digital stuff on the panel is almost impossible to read with the sun over your shoulder. The fuel injection is OK, but Kawasaki's K-TRIC is pretty smooth as well. Ericksen Honda at Bay View have got a most excellent Honda "Super Four" -- stunning in silver with a Givi bug screen and matching Givi luggage. All at a great price. This is the twin-pipe version of the CB1300 (four-into-two-into-one-into-two) -- sounds much better than the four-into-two-into-one. But the speedo on this only goes to 180kmh! Mark Ericksen imported this one direct from Honda -- one of only four in New Zealand.
:shifty:

Podo
24th January 2004, 06:37
There's nothing better than uplifting a new toy eh. After 3 years faithfull service from my FJ1200 I decided it was time for something new and lighter so opted to look for something with less plastic, less frills etc. so naked was the order of the day. Having owned several Yamahas I deicided to look to alternative brands this time. After testing a Bandit and a ZRX1200R I was amazed at how far these modern designs had progressed technically especially in terms of suspension, smoothness and handling etc. I ended up choosing the ZRX1200R. Just 200 kms left to complete the break-in period so haven't really had a chance to test the bike properly yet, still, lots of fun so far.

Cheers
Podo (formerly Ulybod1)

mangell6
24th January 2004, 10:09
OOh, you've piqued my interest... Do tell! It's not just about horsepower either (although its a lovely thing to have on tap...)
:2thumbsup

There is a comparison in one of the performance bike magazines between a ZRX1200 and a FZ1 (Fazer). The quote that they place on the last page of the comparison is "Upright seating, wide bars and more grunt than a sty full of piglets". They like the low end torque of the ZRX and the extra HP of the FZ1.

In my opinion the magazine has a tendency to compare ALL bikes based on their track ability whether they were designed for the track or not.

Mike

Podo
24th January 2004, 10:38
There is a comparison in one of the performance bike magazines between a ZRX1200 and a FZ1 (Fazer). The quote that they place on the last page of the comparison is "Upright seating, wide bars and more grunt than a sty full of piglets". They like the low end torque of the ZRX and the extra HP of the FZ1.

In my opinion the magazine has a tendency to compare ALL bikes based on their track ability whether they were designed for the track or not.

Mike

Being a bit 'long in the tooth' (50 something) I went for the upright position of the ZRX1200R. I must check out the comparison in the mag'. I got snapped enough on the FJ so wasn't looking for any more top end but I think the ZRX will have plenty all the same!

Tony.